Carrara Challenge #4: The Twilight Zone - Work In Progress (WIP) thread

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Here's the latest from my scene. The glasses are hidden in this one because I wanted to get a high res render in a reasonable amount of time. ;-) I think I'm done filling out the scene with background clutter and books.

Time-enough-no-glasses.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

You lost your glasses?

edited December 1969

You lost your glasses?

Nope! I had them for this render. They'll be back for the finale! I'm rendering a version with them right now.

edited December 1969

Very well, it is they which made the interest of your scene, in spite of great work for all!

edited December 1969

Very well, it is they which made the interest of your scene, in spite of great work for all!

I'm going to composite the two together. The scene without the glasses is going to be enlarged a bit and show through the broken glass as a nice, clear magnified image, and the rest of the image will be out of focus. I want to magnify the image seen through the glass to help simulate refraction. I tried to add the refraction in Carrara, but since the mesh of the lenses isn't accurate to real lenses the effect wasn't very good and distorted the image too much. So in this case, postwork is my friend.

edited December 1969

And if you rounded glass (with thickness)?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

I am very impressed to see the results of the images of Diomède64 and Stezza!
    How do you arrive at such a result ?

I'm even more impressed with your atmospherics. I've got a couple screen shots of the stages of creating the Paul Bunyan character in a thread devoted to polygon modeling. You can see the the stages on at the link to this thread and the next page.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28716/P90

edited December 1969

Diomede 64,
    Very well, but how do you arrive has to obtain render so good for first image of the man who leaves wood with his bull or cow?
    Is there postwork?
    I also ask the same question with Stezza for his first image (the head alone)!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

Diomede 64,
    Very well, but how do you arrive has to obtain render so good for first image of the man who leaves wood with his bull or cow?
    Is there postwork?

Oh, sorry. The first image was a reference image found on the web. I can't take credit for that. I found about 50 images of Paul Bunyan on the web. They all look a little different. In some, he has a full beard, in some he has just a mustache, in some he has a beard but not a mustache. But in all, his shirt is plaid, or a Scottish Tartan, and he has big work boots. I just included those reference images because I interpreted the instructions for the challenge to suggest that I include my methodology.

Oops.

edited December 1969

I delighted to see the final result!

edited December 1969

And if you rounded glass (with thickness)?

Each piece is a fragment of a whole. Plus, as you know, a vertex model is basically an empty volume with a skin. There are shader settings to mimic volume, but since each shape is different it will take awhile to find the right settings. In this case, it is easier to do this in post production. I'm also going more for the mood and to emphasize my idea, so I'm not going for photo-real. It's more stylized, which is why the buildings look the way they do and the trees.

I don't know if you're familiar with the U.S. television series, The Twilight Zone, from the early 1960's, but it was an anthology show with a skewed sense of reality, and it always had an ironic twist at the end. I'm going for that slightly "off" sense of reality.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,807
    edited December 1969

Here's the latest from my scene. The glasses are hidden in this one because I wanted to get a high res render in a reasonable amount of time. ;-) I think I'm done filling out the scene with background clutter and books.

I am really liking this one... you had me scouring the image looking for that door! :coolsmile:

looking forward to seeing the final image with glasses

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    looking forward to seeing the final image with glasses

As I am. It looks really good so far - of course, that is no surprise as I always enjoy the work that you post.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,807
    edited December 1969

Diomede 64,
    Is there postwork?

for that image I used Genesis with the Strigoi morph - http://www.daz3d.com/strigoi-the-ancient-vampire

I had to do adjustments like having his eyes pop out ( wasn't creepy enough for me the way he was ), changing the skin shaders and added the carrara hair .. I then did a non-photo realistic render with my own settings that I liked to see if he had scariness about him..

I then set up the scene with the basic props I made, shaded them all with Carrara's shaders then hid an element rendered ( photorealistic ) in PNG alpha unhid and hid another item and rendered again...

then composited all the rendered images in Photoshop Elements 11, did some tweaking of colours and added layers of water drops and clouds using Ron's Brushes..

Hope this helps :)

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Diomede 64,
    Is there postwork?

for that image I used Genesis with the Strigoi morph - http://www.daz3d.com/strigoi-the-ancient-vampire

I had to do adjustments like having his eyes pop out ( wasn't creepy enough for me the way he was ), changing the skin shaders and added the carrara hair .. I then did a non-photo realistic render with my own settings that I liked to see if he had scariness about him..

I then set up the scene with the basic props I made, shaded them all with Carrara's shaders then hid an element rendered ( photorealistic ) in PNG alpha unhid and hid another item and rendered again...

then composited all the rendered images in Photoshop Elements 11, did some tweaking of colours and added layers of water drops and clouds using Ron's Brushes..

Hope this helps :)

You did a great job of capturing the likeness from your sketch and applying it to the figure. You're making me jealous!

• GrimmvaldGrimmvald Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

By coincidence, one of the old B&W TZ episodes is coming on now.

So I haven't done any modeling in a couple of years ...... this is a sample of a prop I'm thinking of using.

- created a sphere primitive

- switched to vertex model and refined mesh a lot

- used the 3D deformer with smoothing to create the dimples

- uv mapped the sphere and created the texture

- created a text .tif in Carrara

- used the 3D paint/ Stamp tool to apply the logo

How many of these things meet the challenge requirements?

I'm really rusty at this.

sample_1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 26K
    edited December 1969

Stezza,
    that remember to me a film of Steven Spielberg… Excellent work!

• KixumKixum Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Worked on this challenge for a few hours today. Not sure what I'm going to do with it but I thought I'd give it a shot.

-Kix

The_Twilight_Zone.jpg
    1650 x 1031 - 1M
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Thank you evilproducer for the tutorial for the windows.
    It will be put to use.

And here is something else I'm started to have a look at. in the series of things that comes out/goes to work in the twilight hour...

Doc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 285K
  • swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited September 2013

I haven't done much with Carrara in several months but I thought I might take on this challenge. The Building ruins need serious work. I may take it into blender and sculpt it and then create a normal map or I may just start over on the building. I have been using Blender for modeling the past couple of years so modeling in Carrara was very slow, I found I couldn't remember how to do things. In the screen shot you can see the texture domains that I have set up.

I started adding Carrara textures to the piece but I am a long way from being happy with them. I will add my hero later. I plan to use a distribution map on a replicator to add debris to the room. I only hope that I have time to finish it. Too much real life right now

WIP1.png
    640 x 480 - 315K
    CarraraWIpSS.png
    1178 x 622 - 256K
    Post edited by swordvisions on
    edited December 1969

Lots of cool stuff going on! I like the doorway in the middle of the road. It's simple, yet evokes the series. I think if the camera were either focused more on the door or if was closer to the camera it would be a real winner!

edited December 1969

I've rendered my images, performed post-work for the blurry parts of the image and focused parts of the image, added noise and such. Now I'm trying to decide if a prefer a black and white image, or color one. I did de-desaturate the color image about 50%.

Time-enough-B-and-W.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Time-enough-color.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Just to say that I'm following the thread and seeing some great work so far! I can already see that it's going to be a tough choice to decide on the winners. And there's a lot of learning going on, and that's even more important!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited September 2013

I've rendered my images, performed post-work for the blurry parts of the image and focused parts of the image, added noise and such. Now I'm trying to decide if a prefer a black and white image, or color one. I did de-desaturate the color image about 50%.

I preferred the saturated colour one ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited September 2013

Evil,
    your render is excellent!
    Colors or black and white,… that depends on the message which you want to make pass.
    The effect in the glasses is successful very well!
    Congratulations !
    If you could make some variations in the trees…

Post edited by DUDU on
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Just to say that I'm following the thread and seeing some great work so far! I can already see that it's going to be a tough choice to decide on the winners. And there's a lot of learning going on, and that's even more important!

And I'd like to welcome all the new contestants! It's great to see some new blood in the competition.

I agree with Phil, there are some amazing pieces of work - both technically challenging and creative!

LOL. And I thought last month's challenge was going to be a beast.... ;)

edited December 1969

Never thought I'd write this, but I'm actually thinking the B&W version is better than color. Nice work, EP!

edited December 1969

Kixum said:
    Worked on this challenge for a few hours today. Not sure what I'm going to do with it but I thought I'd give it a shot.

-Kix

That's a really good start, Kix!

I found sometimes just putting something down into a render gets the creative juices flowing, and then I'm off and running!

Can't wait to see where you take this one. :)

edited December 1969

Grimmvald said:
    By coincidence, one of the old B&W TZ episodes is coming on now.

So I haven't done any modeling in a couple of years ...... this is a sample of a prop I'm thinking of using.

- created a sphere primitive

- switched to vertex model and refined mesh a lot

- used the 3D deformer with smoothing to create the dimples

- uv mapped the sphere and created the texture

- created a text .tif in Carrara

- used the 3D paint/ Stamp tool to apply the logo

How many of these things meet the challenge requirements?

I'm really rusty at this.

Hi Grimmvald and welcome to the competition!

The requirements are pretty simple. You have to make or significantly enhance at least 3 objects. If all of the modifications you described are for one object, then I'd interpret that as meeting the requirements for 1 object.

Keep in mind you can add ANY number of objects already created (stuff you've made before, stuff downloaded, stuff purchased). You just need to make note of such objects when you post your entry.

Good luck and hang in there!

edited December 1969

Never thought I'd write this, but I'm actually thinking the B&W version is better than color. Nice work, EP!

Thanks! I kind f like the black and white myself. I had toyed with having the parts visible through the glass fragments color, ala Wizard of OZ where mundane Kansas is sepia and OZ is technicolor, but it seemed distracting and heavy handed.