Carrara Challenge #4: The Twilight Zone - Work In Progress (WIP) thread

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Hello,
    I am new on this forum and since I am interested in it I realize now that the majority of the posts are based on still images as final render.
    A special challenge “Animations” would be welcome if they are very short (even only one plan).
    I read higher than it would take more time, I believe that largest work is the composition of the scene with its various objects, the remainder is a history of patience but Carrara has enormous resources to help us and the challenge will be only more palpitating!
    In any case, I am therefore for the challenge “Animations” if it is available one day!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Hello,
    I am new on this forum and since I am interested in it I realize now that the majority of the posts are based on still images as final render.
    A special challenge “Animations” would be welcome if they are very short (even only one plan).
    I read higher than it would take more time, I believe that largest work is the composition of the scene with its various objects, the remainder is a history of patience but Carrara has enormous resources to help us and the challenge will be only more palpitating!
    In any case, I am therefore for the challenge “Animations” if it is available one day!

I like to do both animations and stills. I find that still images help me with my framing and animations help me with scene optimization. Both are good skills to practice! there's more but if I keep typing I won't have time to work on my WIP. ;-)

If you have an idea for this contest, put in an entry! It can't hurt, and it's good practice!

edited December 1969

So here's some images of my first scene showing the components and shaders I'm building for it. I'll post more details and images later as the scene comes together. It's going to be my riff on a classic TZ episode.

Picture_5.png
    1171 x 828 - 494K
    Picture_4.png
    1156 x 843 - 444K
    Picture_3.png
    486 x 469 - 68K
    Picture_2.png
    973 x 750 - 152K
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So here's some images of my first scene showing the components and shaders I'm building for it. I'll post more details and images later as the scene comes together. It's going to be my riff on a classic TZ episode.

I love the classics! I've re-watched all the episodes for the first 4 seasons I think. They're all great!

Can't wait to see how you're going to use these in your entry!

FD

edited December 1969

Really nice theme FractalDimensia, and already some really nice WIPs going on here. :)

Thanks, Gareth! Now, we just need to get the word out to more potential contestants! So spread the word where you can!

edited September 2013

Hello,

I like to do both animations and stills. I find that still images help me with my framing and animations help me with scene optimization. Both are good skills to practice! there's more but if I keep typing I won't have time to work on my WIP. ;-)

If you have an idea for this contest, put in an entry! It can't hurt, and it's good practice!

I too would like to encourage you, DUDU, to submit something! Share your ideas with others, and ask people for their opinions. This is the best way to push your skills to the limits and have a great gang of people in your corner encouraging you along the way.

Regarding Animation:

I fully understand your thoughts on animation. I too would like to see some animation challenges. I am just not sure if this contest is the right forum. And we would still have to work out how to judge such entries against "still" images.

I should add that I have found single image renders to be just as difficult (or more) than animations. You can get away with a lot of stuff in animation that would never pass in a still image. For me, it seems both are challenging - just in different ways. Having run track and marathons (different times in my life), still and animation challenges are similar. A world champion sprinter would unlikely win a marathon; just as a marathoner would unlikely beat a sprinter in 100 yards. Different muscle group, different practice, different strategy, different game.

I'm still of the mind that mixing stills and animation in a single competition is like trying to judge who is a better runner - a sprinter or marathoner.

I'm still looking for someone to convince me (and others) why animations would be an acceptable addition to this contest.

Anyone? Tick-tock, tick-tock!

Post edited by FractalDimensia on
    edited December 1969

To get the word out about this contest, maybe the WIP trhead could be ghosted to the commons as the entry and voting thread was the last time?

Regarding the animation, I think that it should be a separate competition. There are plenty of ways to do it. I would recommend longer than a month though. Some interesting ideas would be a challenge to create an animation showing an action but with a movement that adds character to it, such as a walk with a limp, another would be how to create complex animations using layered NLA tracks. Maybe one using animated lighting for effects.

Here's a quick render showing the background and foreground coming together. Tons more to do!

WIP_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 164K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

FractalDimensia,
    I am of agreement with you to say that there is a great difference between the still image and animation.
    I am first a filmmaker and not a photographer!
    One should not include animation in this challenge, it would be impossible to decide between the two styles.
    I believe that would be well to create a challenge with a topic and a 30 seconds maximum… (?)
    It would be a good exercise!
    There are many possible topics, by ex: Catastrophes, E.T., Ideal Paradise, comic Séquence etc…
    Why don't you launch this challenge?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

To get the word out about this contest, maybe the WIP trhead could be ghosted to the commons as the entry and voting thread was the last time?

Regarding the animation, I think that it should be a separate competition. There are plenty of ways to do it. I would recommend longer than a month though. Some interesting ideas would be a challenge to create an animation showing an action but with a movement that adds character to it, such as a walk with a limp, another would be how to create complex animations using layered NLA tracks. Maybe one using animated lighting for effects.

Here's a quick render showing the background and foreground coming together. Tons more to do!

give me a break - it doesn't take a month to do a animation
    it would not be a movie .

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

FractalDimensia,
    I am of agreement with you to say that there is a great difference between the still image and animation.
    One should not include animation in this challenge, it would be impossible to decide between the two styles.
    I believe that would be well to create a challenge with a topic and a 30 seconds maximum… (?)
    There are many possible topics, by ex: Catastrophes, E.T., Ideal Paradise, comic Séquence etc…

why don't you start a challenge .
    any one can .

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited September 2013

My gosh, Evil, I was thinking of trying my hand at modeling a ruined wall too! Lol, I hope you won't think I'm ripping you off :)

That ruined wall looks great, very ruin-y :)

I was thinking of building a regular wall and then using booleans to cut it up. Is that similar to the approach you used, out of curiosity?

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited September 2013

bigh said:

give me a break - it doesn't take a month to do a animation
    it would not be a movie .

Give ME a break! How about a bit less sarcasm and more constructive input?!?

Not everybody is an animator and some people would need to learn the tools. The point of these challenges isn't just for the advanced users to show off.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    My gosh, Evil, I was thinking of trying my hand at modeling a ruined wall too! Lol, I hope you won't think I'm ripping you off :)

That ruined wall looks great, very ruin-y :)

I was thinking of building a regular wall and then using booleans to cut it up. Is that similar to the approach you used, out of curiosity?

No worries Jon. I wouldn't think you're ripping me off. I haven't even said which episode I'm going to attempt to show.

The building shape was made in the spline modeler. I used a function called Create Compound Shape. Basically you draw your outline, in this case, the wall. Once you have that, you can make your shapes for the holes. I used the rectangle tool and then copied it and pasted it. Once you're done with that, select everything and under the Arrange menu, combine as compound.

edited December 1969

I figured it was time enough at last- ;-) to show another WIP image. I made the books in the spline modeler. I was trying to use the wires procedural shader to create a bump for the page edges but have decided to ditch that for the long shots of the books. Looks okay if you get a macro-closeup, but otherwise- meh.

I still have lots more ruins and detritus to throw in, including the iconic clock.

Time_enough.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 402K
  • kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    evilproducer : it would be nice if you would post that shader tree.
    I remember that tutorial as well. It would help to bring some more colour in to the picture.
    One problem that I am well aware of is that in the twilight, every thing looks kinda grey-ish.
    So to get the picture to be interesting, (and get at least one vote) I will need some contrasts

Hey evilproducer,

Did you miss this response?

Or was the posting of the shader tree to be private for Varsel only?

If it is something that you are willing to share with all of us, I am interested in seeing it as well.

Thanks

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Hello,

I hope most folks realize that I am just an old Hippy who enjoys reading things into Rules and never takes a given theme in the direction it was intended to go. I feel it's more creative to twist things into a totally new meaning than to merely take things literally.

But with a theme like this, and my complete hatred of realism and realistic scenes (and Reality in general) - it wasn't easy to mess with.

Asking for animation was just the easiest and most obvious thing that came to mind.

Give me time...

I'll think of something.

Besides THIS:

vik.gif
    200 x 200 - 437K
    edited December 1969

I figured it was time enough at last- ;-) to show another WIP image. I made the books in the spline modeler. I was trying to use the wires procedural shader to create a bump for the page edges but have decided to ditch that for the long shots of the books. Looks okay if you get a macro-closeup, but otherwise- meh.

I still have lots more ruins and detritus to throw in, including the iconic clock.

HA! I bet I know which episode.... ;)

Good luck!

edited December 1969

I hope most folks realize that I am just an old Hippy who enjoys reading things into Rules and never takes a given theme in the direction it was intended to go. I feel it's more creative to twist things into a totally new meaning than to merely take things literally.

I bet you're great with puns too! :)

But with a theme like this, and my complete hatred of realism and realistic scenes (and Reality in general) - it wasn't easy to mess with.

Asking for animation was just the easiest and most obvious thing that came to mind.

No worries, Sock. Never any harm to ask.

Give me time...

I'll think of something.

Now THAT worries me! ;)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    FractalDimensia,

why don't you start a challenge .
    any one can .

I'd like to encourage you also! I wouldn't ask a sprinter to run a marathon. ;) I would even consider entering into that type of contest because I need to push my animation boundaries as well.

I should mention that HeadWax started this competition partially to showcase Carrara's abilities, and we have a nice backing by DAZ with this, who offer up $50, $30, and $15 credit prizes with each one. It wouldn't hurt to ask if they'd support this as well.

And there are surely a number of Carrarans who would be willing to help get the ball rolling!

FD

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I'm thinking of giving this one a shot, maybe I'll get something whipped together.

Here's a shot of some 'ruined' walls I was trying to model. I must have messed up the middle one because the shadows are revealing so weird geometry :) Did the cut outs with booleans, mostly because I'm having some fun with booleans and want to learn how to use them (it?) properly.

ruined_walls1.png
    800 x 450 - 422K
    edited December 1969

kakman said:
    Varsel said:
    evilproducer : it would be nice if you would post that shader tree.
    I remember that tutorial as well. It would help to bring some more colour in to the picture.
    One problem that I am well aware of is that in the twilight, every thing looks kinda grey-ish.
    So to get the picture to be interesting, (and get at least one vote) I will need some contrasts

Hey evilproducer,

Did you miss this response?

Or was the posting of the shader tree to be private for Varsel only?

If it is something that you are willing to share with all of us, I am interested in seeing it as well.

Thanks

I saw it, but was working on my WIP.

If you have read Holly's awesome photoreal sun tutorial here: http://www.3d.wetcircuit.com/category/tutorials/ Then you'll know that using empty shader channels is a great way to hold complex procedural shaders while you're working on setting them up.

This mini-tutorial assumes you're using Dystopia City Blocks. If not, you may be able to substitute the Wires function for the image map to create window frames.

I have added sone instructions and explanations to the screen caps I'm posting. If there are legibility issues, or if I'm not clear or am confusing, then please let me know!

I'll post these instructions if my satellite connection behaves itself!

Random_windows_4.jpg
    782 x 548 - 283K
    Random_windows_3.jpg
    778 x 581 - 259K
    Random_windows_2.jpg
    762 x 581 - 281K
    Random_windows_1.jpg
    777 x 577 - 281K
    edited December 1969

The forum messed up the order of my images. >:(
    #1 is really #3

#2 is #2

#3 is #1

and #4 is #4.

If that makes sense. ;-)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

The forum messed up the order of my images. >:(
    #1 is really #3

#2 is #2

#3 is #1

and #4 is #4.

If that makes sense. ;-)

yes but who's on second?

wow that's amazing those books you made, really impressed.

@Jonstark - the walls look like er walls :) Nice work. Good luck with the booleans - as you know they screw up the uvees.? If all else fails you can try a trans map to make the holes. But the inner parts of the wall then look weird,

@Socratease, who said you can't read directions? Isnt this the rainbow head challenge ;)

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I felt the need for a wormhole for this one. Made a vertex cone and deleted the end. UV mapped it and applied the Wire shader to it. Spun it around with a twist modifier. Then parented a light on the inside. I think it is a good starting point.

ncamp

Wormhole.png
    640 x 480 - 136K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

Just the concept stage of my favorite episode. Here is a first WIP. I thought I might add a stovetop and some kitchen stuff.

Frankly, I'm not loving it. I might go a completely different direction. Maybe an athlete at the twilight of the sports career? Or, maybe that could be a second entry.

To_serve_man_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Some seriously good things going on here :)

Here's my start - hopefully I can finish, what with my brand-new computer that is up to the task.

Everything in the scene so far modeled in the VM. The castle and tree extruded from cylinders; the tree bashed about with the displacement tool. Ground is a much-tessellated grid, again used displacement, also on the walls, which are elongated cubes. The gates are simply a bunch of elongated cubes. Now that I'm learning a few tricks of the VM, I'll make them more ornate.

Now to get to grips with the UV mapping - should be fun on that tree :)

Cheers

castleWIP1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Just the concept stage of my favorite episode. Here is a first WIP. I thought I might add a stovetop and some kitchen stuff.

Frankly, I'm not loving it. I might go a completely different direction. Maybe an athlete at the twilight of the sports career? Or, maybe that could be a second entry.

I love this episode too and was planning to use this wide headed giant E.T..
    And I think I'll do it anyway :-).

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    @Socratease, who said you can't read directions? Isnt this the rainbow head challenge ;)

I don't know.

It sure looks like Rod Serling to me...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,845
    edited September 2013

uhm twighlight zone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9gm--YiPIo
    sparkly vampire boi! :lol:
    not an entry a previous render for an earlier chapter of "stupid thread" in commons

cullen.png
    2000 x 2000 - 4M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    diomede64 said:

I love this episode too and was planning to use this wide headed giant E.T..
    And I think I'll do it anyway :-).

@Philemo

Can't wait to see your take. That show had so many classic episodes, I know I'll find something I do (frankly) love if I decide to stay with the show. Instead, I'll focus on this other definition of twilight

- a period or state of obscurity, ambiguity, or gradual decline. "he was in the twilight of his career"

@FD
    Nice choice for the challenge. The WIPs in the thread already show this is going to be an amazing month.