Novica & Serene Night’s Renders, Tips, Tutorials & Product Reviews PART 2

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Glub...glub...glub....
    The sound of Novica disappearing into the watery depths, as Barbult holds the life preserver (carefully attached by a wonderful jointed rope found on another site) looking at the bubbles floating to the top and thinking, "Well, she could have TOLD me." Then out of nowhere, a purple figure appears, leaping forward and excitedly exclaiming, "No problem, I can make one for......you....where'd she GO?"

... The purple figure then casts the line from his new pole into the water and snags Novica on his hook. He reels her in and she is saved!
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited December 1969

I LIKE that ending!

I am working on the second RRRR one (at 12:42am, can't stop, this is addictive.) I did manage to do the scene but changed up where the action takes place. Yep, Morgan and Gunner are still at the Oversea Bungalow, starring in the next segment. This will probably be my last one for this particular round, I have a lot to do this week and next week. This contest is a lot of fun- Totte does a nice job of running it. Barbult, how many entries have you gotten done?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited December 1969

I've finished 4 and I'm working on number 5. It will be the last, since we are limited to 5 this month. They are all about Thomas and his cherry tree.

edited December 1969

Wow, 60% off Genesis hair and clothing if you buy a new release (thank goodness they aren't all Carrara this time.) Konrad, for example, is 26.95 but it takes 16.17 off so he's about 10.00
    Happy shopping.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited November 2013

Kind of tough to find just the MALE clothing and hair amongst all the female stuff... =-)

EDIT:

I picked Up Nye Hair and the Character of Dan. I am curious how Dan will render, as the skin kind of has a grayish look in the promo art. Will see.

I'm running a bit low on funds with this months budget, so, probably not much more for me, until payday!

I am also curious if the HIRO hair/clothing pack will go on sale. As of now, it is not, and I bought it only a few weeks ago, but it is genesis and it is male hair and clothing. =-)

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    edited December 1969

Kind of tough to find just the MALE clothing and hair amongst all the female stuff... =-)

EDIT:

I picked Up Nye Hair and the Character of Dan. I am curious how Dan will render, as the skin kind of has a grayish look in the promo art. Will see.

I'm running a bit low on funds with this months budget, so, probably not much more for me, until payday!

I am also curious if the HIRO hair/clothing pack will go on sale. As of now, it is not, and I bought it only a few weeks ago, but it is genesis and it is male hair and clothing. =-)

I haven't dl'd yet, but the Dan Mega looked like a good deal so I bought it.
    Check out what is included:
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/fw-dan-megapack
    Pretty good deal for the money and even less if you have the MEGA coupon.
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    I haven't dl'd yet, but the Dan Mega looked like a good deal so I bought it.
    Check out what is included:
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/fw-dan-megapack
    Pretty good deal for the money and even less if you have the MEGA coupon.

Yes I agree. and accessories too are included. Looks good. I'll test it out. soon.

edited November 2013

Okay, I tested it out using the pose and outfit from Nathan. Dan’s skin renders nicely in DAZ. No concerns there for me skin. Nicely done. There are also many options, including the wolf shape and skin, and accessories, good value IMHO.

The head features are a bit smaller and closer on the face than my preference, however they combine well with Nathan’s, and you can dial a little or a lot with parameter dials.

Overall, I give a thumbs up to this. Nice skin, extras, and a wolf shape? Well thought out, and works well with other content.

Image 1 dan basic
    Image 2 dan wolfy
    Image 3 dan+nathan

I will most certainly review this later in depth.

dan+nathanbody.jpg
    816 x 933 - 376K
    wolfy.jpg
    816 x 933 - 371K
    dan.jpg
    816 x 933 - 368K
    edited November 2013

Okay, how about the shadows under the eyes? I noticed in the renders (Edit- I'm referring to the promos) they had bright light on the closeup ones, and after the Josie fiasco that took Lisa textures to get a normal looking teen, I am more aware of the dark shadowed skin textures. While I understand everyone isn't going to have glowing skin (very boring) I am not going to brightly light all my dudes on closeups. So you haven't found that to be the case?
    Thanks for looking at these. :)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2013

Novica said:
    Okay, how about the shadows under the eyes? I noticed in the renders (Edit- I'm referring to the promos) they had bright light on the closeup ones, and after the Josie fiasco that took Lisa textures to get a normal looking teen, I am more aware of the dark shadowed skin textures. While I understand everyone isn't going to have glowing skin (very boring) I am not going to brightly light all my dudes on closeups. So you haven't found that to be the case?
    Thanks for looking at these. :)

I can't really see anything too egregious. It certainly isn't anything like Vianne for example. There are shadows, but he also has a slightly bulgy under eye and M6 has a big temple so that's going to cast some shadows there. I've done some renders so you can check it out. =-)

One thing that I didn't mention, and is a selling point for me, will, is that if you buy the pack you get 3 skins. The wolfy alien one, a caucasion skin and a darker skin. You really are getting 3 usable textures here. Since who cares about eyebags on the wolf character I've done 3 renders using both light and midtone skin.

Hair is Nye, which I actually really love and recommend.

lighting is Jason both light and darker versions

1, Default Dan character 'out of the box'
    2. Basic male with Dan skin applied
    3. Nathan with Dan skin applied.

You can see how the coloration of the under eye changes as the figure morphs, showing how the shape of the face is affecting the shadowed area there. To me, the under eye looks fine.

3.jpg
    816 x 582 - 185K
    2.jpg
    816 x 582 - 169K
    1.jpg
    816 x 582 - 169K
    edited December 1969

The only ones I didn't like were the last set, the eye on our right is really dark. But it gives character. I went ahead and bought it since I'm tier 2 and I'm trying to buy things as they come out as long as the discount is good. Thanks for the renders, appreciate you! :)

edited November 2013

I checked the face texture, and the dark areas are on the texture itself.
    ETA: Not a deal-breaker for me, as many men do have darker skin around the eyes.

Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    I checked the face texture, and the dark areas are on the texture itself.
    ETA: Not a deal-breaker for me, as many men do have darker skin around the eyes.

Agreed.it looks fine to me. A very good as skin. That makes two in a row.. Nathan and now Dan. Plus I think the wolf would make a fun alien.

edited December 1969

Here's Dan in full pose wearing the Shadow Warrior outfit. He's a versatile character, I think, could be a hero or a villan. :)

Dan_small.jpg
    750 x 900 - 304K
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Here's Dan in full pose wearing the Shadow Warrior outfit. He's a versatile character, I think, could be a hero or a villan. :)

Nice one tjohn! Looks like one tough customer. I like his dark hair and stern expression!

edited December 1969

Okay, the sequel to the first one for my RRRR entries. I had to use a bed, Arwen (texture for Elven outfit), a jellyfish, and reuse one item so I kept the M4 Ensign uniform. This gave me the giggles SO bad when I was making it.

“Throw It Back…NOW!!!”
    Gunner is once again delighted by his catch.

jellyfishEntry2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Love it! The look on her face is priceless :)

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Fantastic! I'm enjoying this series of Gunner and his 'catch of the day'.

I've no complaints about all the handsome men SereneNight has been posting either.... :)

edited December 1969

Looks good there Novica! Mamma Jelly looks Pissed! Time to give him back!

Enjoying the sales right now. The 5.00 off the 30+ 60% off genesis male hair and clothing+ Mega coupon. Yeah.

edited December 1969

It's hard to tell what is doing what though in the cart. I don't know if I got the $5 off or not. What a pain (but a nice one, if it's working.)

edited December 1969

I have no clue! Unfortunately I do not need much genesis male clothing. I bought most of what I wanted already.

edited November 2013

Morgan For Victoria 4.2 And Genesis
    Georgina Hair For Genesis
    Arwen
    Elven Dress For Genesis

http://www.daz3d.com/morgan-for-victoria-42-and-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/georgina-hair-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/arwen
    http://www.daz3d.com/elven-dress-for-genesis

This is a closeup of Morgan, rotated around slightly but using the same lighting as the RRRR entry. (that lighting was a pain in the booty.) She is wearing the Elven Dress For Genesis (which is a pretty blue, and I would have used that except for the contest I drew Arwen, the texture for it.) You also get earrings, bracelet, necklace, a staff with the Elven Dress, and the brown colored jewelry with Arwen.

I really like the Georgina Hair! (The Genesis one went on like a breeze.)

Anyway, want to mention a really good facial expression pack- surprisingly enough, out of all of them I have installed, I really enjoyed it when I experimented with Faces Of Teens. Keep it in mind because it is a DAZ3d item and if you are PC you can get $6 off and it will only be $5.87. So if you haven't used your November code yet, that would be a great one to get. :)

http://www.daz3d.com/faces-of-teens

MorganGenesisGeorginaHair3.jpg
    900 x 800 - 350K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2013

Today’s review is:
    Alexios hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/alexios-hair
    3Dream Mairy

Okay, I’m kind of freaking I missed out on this fantastic hair this long. =-) I’ve owned a lot of male hair and female hair, but this hair has a level of realism that I have not see even on the new Gen2 hair which so far, hasn’t stunned me nearly as much as this one. It simply looks good and has both male and female morphs, quite a few styles and colors and is suited for genesis, gen 4, and I’m sure would autofit fine as well to gen 2, although I haven’t tried. What’s my excuse? Well, perhaps the promo art looks kind of dated, and It didn’t grab me. A sorry excuse I know, because it is 60% off right now, if you buy one of the other eligible items, you get it at a shocking discount.

Okay, what’s not to like?

Here I decided to render the hair on Axel M5 by Male-M3dia. He's quite handsome, isn't he? =-)

Anyway, hair applies quickly and easily. There are 50 colors that I counted here, including punk colors like blue and green. 26 shapes including a reset. So you get a lot of variety for your dollar. There is also a gen 4 model included, although I didn’t test it and use it.

What can I say. Love the hair. Best hair I’ve tried in some time. Lots of individual strands that add to realism. Very useful and versatile if you want short hair and a variety of styles in the package.

Nice, Nice product. Check it out.

Renders

1. Default hair
    2. Different style
    3. Different color and style
    4. Different color and style

4dark.jpg
    800 x 800 - 351K
    3Alexios_blonde.jpg
    800 x 800 - 372K
    2Alexios_hair2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 373K
    1Alexios_hair.jpg
    800 x 800 - 365K
    edited December 1969

Looks good. I think I have that hair, but like you, hadn't gotten around to it.
    Did you notice the free barn for PC members? :)

Here's Gunner. He has more reddish tones and needs to be lit with some blue lighting- not all of the lights, but several. Also, what's with the white eyelashes? This is out of the box- but I've never had white eyelashes on a character before.

Well, the High Definition V6 and M6 are out. The bundle isn't discounted at all right now, but should be fixed in the morning.

Gunner3.jpg
    589 x 711 - 186K
    edited November 2013

He's a cutie. The texture on those lashes may not have applied. I've had that happen with certain textures. You can apply another characters eyelash texture or go in and see if you are missing something or just apply a color since they are awfully small. OF course he is pale so maybe he does have white lashes.... I've seen people with them, but usually not people with dark brows =-)

EDIT: Wow, a HD expansion for M6/V6 if I had the pro bundle I'd be disappointed. to me, HD should be part of the Pro pack, as Professionals for which that product is targeted would most certainly want that.

edited December 1969

Coming up- Victoria 6 HD using Cassie and Josie Tails Hair. I just started so it will be an hour or so.

If you buy the HD, you get a choice between the regular version and the HD version, in case you're curious. :)

edited November 2013

Victoria 6 HD Add-On
    FW Cassie
    Josie Tails Hair For Genesis 2 Females
    Cheerleader Outfit
    Genesis Poses For Moonshines Diner Int Ext
    Violet For V4 (Lights)

http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-6-hd-add-on (Get the Bundle though)
    http://www.daz3d.com/fw-cassie
    http://www.daz3d.com/josie-tails-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/cheerleader-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-poses-for-moonshines-diner-int-ext
    http://www.daz3d.com/violet-for-v4

Hmm, so how does this work? I applied Cassie directly to HD Victoria 6, and Cassie is meant for Josie (also Gen2) so does that change her features a bit? I would assume so, but she looks an awful lot like the promo anyway. So I take it you don't HAVE to apply a character to the figure it is meant for? (You'd think after a year I would know that, but I always just applied it to the figure it was designed for.)

According to Slosh (who is making an educated guess and helping out, since DAZ has not published a darn thing about the HD) the HD works on all Gen 2 figures. So this one should be HD as I used the Victoria HD as the base figure. I will have to do a closeup as I am not seeing any "OMGosh, look at that! difference.

Okay, for the details. I used Flirting Expression .48 and that's all. Gives a nice smile without being corny.
    Violet lighting: consists of 6 distant lights. When I used the pose, I did not CNTRL and eliminate the XYZ and it took 2 of the distant lights out of the impact. I just left it that way. If you do that, drop distant light 5 WAY down to get interesting shadows. Turn Distant Light 3 up and change to a rosy color.

I do not particularly care for the hair- doesn't look real to me- and you can see the skull, so since I've never had THAT before (what's with the sudden onslaught of white eyelashes and now a skull showing through the hair?!!!!) what do you do to thicken the hair?

Will do a closeup. BTW, this rendered very quickly at a .40 shading rate. All other settings on excellent (normally I do .20) I will do the face closeup on .20 so we can see the HD hopefully.

EDIT: Hate those curvy fingers of Genesis 2. Was there a product that fixed that? UGH.

CassieJosieTailsHairVioletLites2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 310K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2013

This is freaking me out- with a .20 shading rate that took under THREE MINUTES to render. Does HD render faster? If so, that's one good reason to buy it. My settings are all on excellent- and a closeup going that fast? (Maybe it's the hair, but even so, the character should have taken at least ten minutes on a .50 setting with all these lights.) My pixel filter widths are 10.67, pixel samples 12, shadow samples 32, etc.

EDIT: See the skull? I didn't fix it (photoshop it, postwork) so you can see it better.
    EDIT: I postworked it for you. Didn't do the rest of the hair. If I were to use this hair, all those dangling tails would have to be done. They just do not seem realistic at all to me. It is a fun hairstyle and might work for more distant shots. (Not to mention the skull showing)

CassieJosieTailsHairVioletLites5Hair.jpg
    800 x 800 - 402K
    CassieJosieTailsHairVioletLites4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 403K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    EDIT: Hate those curvy fingers of Genesis 2. Was there a product that fixed that? UGH.

I don't own it yet, but I think this is what you're looking for.
    edited December 1969

I'll try it, I own it :)
    I'm also going to try to reduce the hair to see if it simply isn't resting close enough to the skull.

This discussion has been closed.