Novica & Serene Night’s Renders, Tips, Tutorials & Product Reviews PART 2

Comments

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Those poses look very natural, very fluid. He wont be running like that when wearing the Coalition Claymore, lol!

LOL. No, you don't run in that unless you are Sarge.

I wanted to state that the right hand of the cybernetic arm may look a bit imperfect in the first render. This is because its an m4 prop. It is likely NOT the way the fingers would look with the pose because the gloves added thickness. Tried to use Handy Dandy to normalize it but may not be as fluid as the rest of that particular pose. ==)

I am pleased by the new Capsces poses. Just picked those up. Capsces always produces nice quality poses!If you use the (hide arm) utility that comes with the Cyberpunk for M4 set instead of collision and smoothing to fit it over the original arm, the cyberarm ends up not really adding any thickness. It ends up about the same thickness as the original arm.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited November 2013

If you use the (hide arm) utility that comes with the Cyberpunk for M4 set instead of collision and smoothing to fit it over the original arm, the cyberarm ends up not really adding any thickness. It ends up about the same thickness as the original arm.

=-) I usually try the hide body parts utilities. But they don't always work for me. I still have to go into parameters and hide the parts especially fingers and finger joints. Perhaps because I use older skins?

You can see the crinkling I'm speaking of when applied. With a morphed figure I was finding the glove broke up at the shoulder region without smoothing in one render.

This is the glove applied to gen 6 straight Michael in the method you describe.

Untitled-1.jpg
    864 x 764 - 61K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited December 1969

If you use the (hide arm) utility that comes with the Cyberpunk for M4 set instead of collision and smoothing to fit it over the original arm, the cyberarm ends up not really adding any thickness. It ends up about the same thickness as the original arm.

=-) I usually try the hide body parts utilities. But they don't always work for me. I still have to go into parameters and hide the parts especially fingers and finger joints. Perhaps because I use older skins?

You can see the crinkling I'm speaking of when applied. With a morphed figure I was finding the glove broke up at the shoulder region without smoothing.

This is the glove applied to gen 6 straight Michael in the method you describe.
    Are you using Slosh's M4 for G2M product? A bug has been acknowledged related to glove fits. He is working on a fix.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited November 2013

Today’s Review

Michael 6 Attitude poses
    http://www.daz3d.com/m6-attitude

By DAZ & Cake One

This is a small but fun little set of 15 great poses for Michael 6, which right now is available at a neat discount especially if you are a pc club member so if you need something to round out your cart for your 6 dollars off 30 discount, you might consider this.

There is a nice variety of sitting, reclining, standing and gesturing sets included. I like the touch of whimsy in the hand gestures, which includes “Face Palm” and “Handgun Hands” poses. There is also a good combat running pose.

This is a nice small little set, worth a gander, and I think Cake One has a talent for doing M6 poses, so they render pretty well.

I look forward to seeing more poses from this PA.

Here are 2 poses on Ruin, my custom M6 character I've been working on Porting from M5. The Glove fit for the cybernetic arm is not perfect- But, I heard somewhere a PA was making a product to address any crinkling that might occur.. =-) Until then, Ruin may get his arm replaced by a bot arm like Poor Sarge when I get a chance.

Image 1: strike a pose
    Image 2: Running forward

Serene, is that glove an M4 glove? I'm the one doing a glove fix for Michael 4 for Genesis 2 Male (M4G2M). I need as many glove pics as I can get my hands on (pun intended?) so I can better understand the scope of the problem. If this is a M4 glove, could you PM me with a close-up, especially showing the worst "crinkling"? Thanks a million... Slosh

Edit: Just read more and saw the answer and picture I needed. I'm still trying! :)

Post edited by Slosh on
    edited December 1969

Yes. I read on a blog recently that slosh was working on this. =) Word gets around. Let me know if you need more shots. The deforming is more pronounced on the character because he is more bulky than default which makes this stand out more I think.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited December 1969

The winners of the gallery competition don't need to be plastered in a New Releases scrolling banner. THEY ARE NOT NEW RELEASES. Those winners should be linked and displayed on the Gallery page- they are linked dominantly enough at the top of many pages.
    ENOUGH WITH THE GALLERIES! If I want to see scantily clad women lying there dying, I'll go to the galleries. When I want to SHOP, I'll go to New Releases to see the most recent banner.

GRRRRRRR.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited December 1969

You can see the crinkling I'm speaking of when applied. With a morphed figure I was finding the glove broke up at the shoulder region without smoothing in one render.

This is the glove applied to gen 6 straight Michael in the method you describe. Well, Part of it might be because you're using the Genesis 2 Male with an M6 skin. I still use Genesis. All three major characters I've used the M4 Cyberpunk set on use M4 skins. I've also used it on Genesis females with V4 skins. I haven't tried it on a Genesis 2 figure yet.

edited November 2013

Well, Part of it might be because you're using the Genesis 2 Male with an M6 skin. I still use Genesis. All three major characters I've used the M4 Cyberpunk set on use M4 skins. I've also used it on Genesis females with V4 skins. I haven't tried it on a Genesis 2 figure yet.

Nope. Ru has an M4 skin. One of my favorites too auto fitted to M6. Sorry. I appreciate the help though. =-)

EDIT: Ruin works fine with genesis 1, but I wanted the flexibility of gen 2. With genesis 1, I have also occasionally get an issue where the skin would show under the cyber glove, even when hidden.

edited November 2013

Novica said:
    The winners of the gallery competition don't need to be plastered in a New Releases scrolling banner. THEY ARE NOT NEW RELEASES. .

LOL! I was disappointed to see the 6.00 coupon has disappeared from the new releases section.

edited December 1969

Today’s Review

Coalition Claymore Armor

http://www.daz3d.com/coalition-claymore-armor

By mighty_mestophales Sequestrian

This is an expansion for the Rapier body armor and is the fully armored ‘tankish’ version of the suit. It is designed for M4, and functions best on this character. In DAZ studio, you just select M4, and load the outfit, and then click to apply the mats. Voila! .

The outfit looks good and intimidating and suits an officer character as it is even more armored than Rapier, and is meant to be a more powerful version of the standard infantry Rapier suit. This is an expansion set, so you need Rapier to use Claymore.

One thing I like about this outfit is that it does really look like metal and not genesis dough. I buy a lot of armored sci-fi suits and it seems quite often the body armor looks like nothing of the sort, because has a gummy doughy look to it, or it is overly sexy which just doesn’t suit my tastes. This armor looks great. It really does look like metal plates, and has a wonderful shine to the armor.

I also have to say that I like the way the suit renders, and I like the style of the outfit. These PA's make nice streamlined and slick armor which is a delight to look at and render.

Word of caution with Genesis

I experienced some difficulty using auto fit with genesis. First, be prepared to spend some time applying the individual parts to the body, and then recoloring them using the mats. Because this set also used some of Rapier's parts, this aspect can be a touch confusing. The suit will not apply automatically and must be recolored individually to render at their best. Unlike Rapier, also, this suit, three pieces didn’t work so well on genesis The shoulder pieces, the breastplate and the helmet deformed on Sarge. I could probably beat the helmet deformation by fitting it manually to the head and hiding the face, however, I couldn’t stop the shoulders and breastplate from deforming around the shoulders or neck in a clearly visible manner. (If anyone has a fix for that, let me know). I don't seem to have this problem with Rapier, but with Claymore the problems are more pronounced.

This is still a nice set for gen 4 characters, for which it is truly meant, but I’d love to see a fix for genesis because Sarge is Hankering to try it on. =-)

Overall, a nice expansion set for your gen 4 rapier armor.

Image 1: Front
    Image 2: Back

combat.jpg
    856 x 999 - 280K
    backview.jpg
    856 x 999 - 536K
    edited December 1969

Intimidating. I like the bottom part (boots) as they aren't overly clunky. Looks like a practical armor. Some of the stuff people wear going into combat would weigh them down, but this looks like it's a thought-out design.

What set did you use?

edited December 1969

That is Stone Mason's A quiet street.
    http://www.daz3d.com/a-quiet-street

Backdrop is West of the Moon from Rendo.

• Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited November 2013

Today’s Review

Coalition Claymore Armor

http://www.daz3d.com/coalition-claymore-armor

By mighty_mestophales Sequestrian

This is an expansion for the Rapier body armor and is the fully armored ‘tankish’ version of the suit. It is designed for M4, and functions best on this character. In DAZ studio, you just select M4, and load the outfit, and then click to apply the mats. Voila! .

The outfit looks good and intimidating and suits an officer character as it is even more armored than Rapier, and is meant to be a more powerful version of the standard infantry Rapier suit. This is an expansion set, so you need Rapier to use Claymore.

One thing I like about this outfit is that it does really look like metal and not genesis dough. I buy a lot of armored sci-fi suits and it seems quite often the body armor looks like nothing of the sort, because has a gummy doughy look to it, or it is overly sexy which just doesn’t suit my tastes. This armor looks great. It really does look like metal plates, and has a wonderful shine to the armor.

I also have to say that I like the way the suit renders, and I like the style of the outfit. These PA's make nice streamlined and slick armor which is a delight to look at and render.

Word of caution with Genesis

I experienced some difficulty using auto fit with genesis. First, be prepared to spend some time applying the individual parts to the body, and then recoloring them using the mats. Because this set also used some of Rapier's parts, this aspect can be a touch confusing. The suit will not apply automatically and must be recolored individually to render at their best. Unlike Rapier, also, this suit, three pieces didn’t work so well on genesis The shoulder pieces, the breastplate and the helmet deformed on Sarge. I could probably beat the helmet deformation by fitting it manually to the head and hiding the face, however, I couldn’t stop the shoulders and breastplate from deforming around the shoulders or neck in a clearly visible manner. (If anyone has a fix for that, let me know). I don't seem to have this problem with Rapier, but with Claymore the problems are more pronounced.

This is still a nice set for gen 4 characters, for which it is truly meant, but I’d love to see a fix for genesis because Sarge is Hankering to try it on. =-)

Overall, a nice expansion set for your gen 4 rapier armor.

Thanks for the review Serene. I was wondering if you could maybe show the armour fitted to the genesis and genesis 2 figure? I've been wanting to buy a nice looking sci-fi armour for some time now, but most of the products I've found are for the generation 4 figures, which I do not use. From time to time I bought sth for them (mainly PC items) for the purpose of refitting them to use with genesis and genesis 2, unfortunately (probably due to my lack of skill and knowledge) the results were mostly far from satisfying and often useless, so I became more cautious about my purchases of gen 4 items. Maybe it would look better on G2M than Genesis? It certainly is a nice looking piece of armour, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
    edited November 2013

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/32873/#487806

Just a heads up on my post in Commons- the Shape Shift is NOT discounting properly if you are a previous owner- the cart WILL now give you $3 off, but it is also in the mega prize promo to be further discounted 30% and it isn't doing it. It is a great deal when they get it fixed.

EDIT: Nope, it's not included in the promo. I don't feel bad, admin didn't hop on it either. Estroyer to the rescue (and Tarina)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the review Serene. I was wondering if you could maybe show the armour fitted to the genesis and genesis 2 figure?

I think Rapier which is the base set, looks good on M6. I noted some crinkling on the gorget which is the shoulder area. Otherwise it autofits well on M6.

http://www.daz3d.com/coalition-rapier-armor

It is 50% off right now. So it is a nice bargain.

1-2 Images front and back attached.
    3-4 Images showing shoulder crinkling which I experienced, with smoothing added.

gen6-chest_piece-smoothed.jpg
    816 x 933 - 352K
    gen6-chest_piece.jpg
    816 x 933 - 353K
    2gen6-crear-view.jpg
    816 x 933 - 163K
    1gen6.jpg
    816 x 933 - 169K
    edited December 1969

Here are some of my Generation 5 marines wearing Rapier Armor

Images 1-2 front and back

Images 3 some crinkling

gen-5-crinkle.jpg
    900 x 900 - 276K
    gen5front.jpg
    900 x 900 - 253K
    gen5-back.jpg
    900 x 900 - 264K
    edited November 2013

Okay, I have updated this post to include pics of the claymore armor applied to M6.

The problem seems to be with the shoulder pieces and the breastplate. They deform around the neck and shoulders

In both these shots M4 is on the LEFT and M6 is on the RIGHT. you can see the problems and crinkles in the breastplate and shoulder on M6 while using claymore. They are much more pronounced than rapier. There is also sometimes a problem with the helmet. The situation with Gen 5 is much the same. Only these two pieces though. The rest of the armored suit seems okay. You can also see on M6 the shoulders conform down rather than stand out like they do on the claymore suit on M4. You might get around this by applying it manually, but didn't try.

comparison12.jpg
    933 x 933 - 276K
    comparison1.jpg
    933 x 933 - 281K
    edited November 2013

I will try the claymore this evening. Not optimistic about it though. I do think the Rapier is a nice investment, and at 50% off a good deal. =-)

Thank you for taking the time to make the renders! It seems that the crinkling is nothing that cannot be fixed in post-work, which is great news for me. Your review came at a right time and it is really tempting to grab it at this price, but with so much great stuff for G2M coming out it went to my wishlist for now. Hopefully the vendor will have another sale sometime in the future... I'm still debating what to get from among all the G2M items, have to wait a bit till I can purchase anything anyway. Who knows maybe the sale will be good during the next week as well (though it's doubtful) when I have the funds . Again, thank you Serene and Novica for your continued effort to review the products from the store. You have brought to my attention some great items several times already. :) I have recently finished an underwater render where I have used items from the Sea Life Pack 1 I purchased during the Animal Sale that was discussed in here, the Sea Turtle among them (I really liked the render you've made of it that accompanied its review^^). Just wanted to say that what you do in here is appreciated (even when not too many people post in here), I'm sure I am not the only lurker in these parts.^^

edited December 1969

LOL, we get between 250-400 on average daily. Lurk away!
    I'm just finishing up a render for a contest that Barbult bullied me into entering (watch THAT bring him out of lurking- GRIN.) You asked for it Barbult! (And you should see his- they are quite funny!)

Anyway, I will post the stupidity I went through when making a fishing pole. But that's where I've been while SereneNight holds down the thread (and appreciated as always.)
    Cathie

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I'm just finishing up a render for a contest that Barbult bullied me into entering (watch THAT bring him out of lurking- GRIN.) You asked for it Barbult! (And you should see his- they are quite funny!)

Anyway, I will post the stupidity I went through when making a fishing pole. But that's where I've been while SereneNight holds down the thread (and appreciated as always.)
    Cathie

I knew there must be a lot of people hiding in here.^^ I love the concept of the RRRR contests and had entered in the summer one. I've been following both Chain RRRR contests and had a lot of fun looking at all those hilarious renders, wanted to participate but unfortunately I do not have much time to render lately. : ( Can't wait to see what you've come up with for it. :) Unfortunately I have mostly been lurking over there too, no posting. I should show more appreciation for the entries, I'm having a blast following the stories unfolding over there. I certainly hope that the Chain RRRR contest will be repeated, would love to take part in it when I have more time. :)

edited November 2013

I've just seen your render for the RRRR contest. It's awesome, I love the sea-themed renders. ^^

I'm curious, from which set comes the pier they are sitting on? It looks quite nice.

edited December 1969

Everyone else was zipping right along, many have three or four renders already. I'm pokey. The lighting on this was hard- a light colored dock and steps and building, he's in a dark uniform, she's got a lot of skin showing. And two weeks to make the fishing pole. JUST the fishing pole. This is why I don't enter contests. I don't care if I win, I care if it's the best I can do at the time. The forum is darkening the image, which is nothing new. (and folks other than me have also noted- it's NOT my computer, it is calibrated.)

Overseas Bungalow is the set :) It's a must have. I've reviewed it previously. The ocean is wonderful. For this one, because I wanted the background and it came with water, I used Easy Environments: The Rock

BE SURE TO CLICK TO ENLARGE AND CLICK AGAIN. Lots of details

Here's the items I HAD to use: (this is fun!)

DragonFish http://www.daz3d.com/dragonfish
    Morgan For Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/morgan-for-victoria-42-and-genesis
    M4 Ensign http://www.daz3d.com/m4-ensign
    Ruffle Bikini http://www.daz3d.com/ruffle-bikini

Best Catch Of The Day

Morgan is puzzled by her catch because it doesn’t look quite…normal.
    Gunner isn’t puzzled at all about his catch!

RRRRentry3WName.jpg
    1800 x 1350 - 1M
    edited November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to make the renders! It seems that the crinkling is nothing that cannot be fixed in post-work, which is great news for me. ^^

That is good to hear and you are quite welcome. =-) I agree postwork will work fine for Rapier which is one of the best armored suits in the store. It is nice to meet other science fiction art fans.

To check out, I have added comparison shots of M6 and M4 wearing the claymore outfit in post 977 You can see the crinkling problem the conform feature causes the breastplate and shoulder pieces (spaulders) which autofit on M6 to the curve of the shoulder rather than standing up like they do on M4

edited December 1969

BTW, that IS Gunner for David 5. I didn't name him that. Very easy to render.
    http://www.daz3d.com/gunner-for-david-5

edited December 1969

Nice work Novica! that is your best work to date. Looks really good! =-)

edited December 1969

Thanks :) One thing I did not like about Oversea Bungalow is that all those ropes are one material zone. I was going to make that handrailing rope go poof. But all the steps are the same zone. WHY do people do that. I could have taken the time to Polygon Group Editor it, but after two weeks with that fishing pole, I was done. I drove over a bridge on my way to Pensacola, saw three people fishing, and caught myself wanting to scrutinize their fishing poles! (You know you are a 3D addict when...)

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Everyone else was zipping right along, many have three or four renders already. I'm pokey. The lighting on this was hard- a light colored dock and steps and building, he's in a dark uniform, she's got a lot of skin showing. And two weeks to make the fishing pole. JUST the fishing pole. This is why I don't enter contests. I don't care if I win, I care if it's the best I can do at the time. The forum is darkening the image, which is nothing new. (and folks other than me have also noted- it's NOT my computer, it is calibrated.)

Overseas Bungalow is the set :) It's a must have. I've reviewed it previously. The ocean is wonderful. For this one, because I wanted the background and it came with water, I used Easy Environments: The Rock

I recognize it now, didn't realize it has so much detail though, have to take another look at it. I'm always looking to add anything sea related to my runtime^^. The Rock is in my wishlist as well.
    I understand what you mean about the contests, it's very hard for me to enter one as well, takes a lot of time and usually I'm not happy with the results, I'm lucky if I manage to enter anything at all. ^^ I have a few WIP's but not too many finished images. Amazingly I've just managed to finish one for the monthly PC contest. ; ) I can count the renders I consider to be finished on my fingers so I still feel like a beginner.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Thanks :) One thing I did not like about Oversea Bungalow is that all those ropes are one material zone. I was going to make that handrailing rope go poof. But all the steps are the same zone. WHY do people do that. I could have taken the time to Polygon Group Editor it, but after two weeks with that fishing pole, I was done. I drove over a bridge on my way to Pensacola, saw three people fishing, and caught myself wanting to scrutinize their fishing poles! (You know you are a 3D addict when...)

It really worked... That is clever to use the ensign outfit as a sort of wetsuit. Gunner looks good. He was quite a pale character so that is nice to see it turned out so well in this render. I also love the dragonfish.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

Cathie

Very convincing fishing pole. Well done. I'm glad you enjoyed your first foray into RRRR. Sorry you felt bullied.
    By the way, I'm a she, not a he.
    edited December 1969

Thank you for taking the time to make the renders! It seems that the crinkling is nothing that cannot be fixed in post-work, which is great news for me. ^^

That is good to hear and you are quite welcome. =-) I agree postwork will work fine for Rapier which is one of the best armored suits in the store. It is nice to meet other science fiction art fans.

To check out, I have added comparison shots of M6 and M4 wearing the claymore outfit in post 977 You can see the crinkling problem the conform feature causes the breastplate and shoulder pieces (spaulders) which autofit on M6 to the curve of the shoulder rather than standing up like they do on M4

Yeah, I see the problem, funny but the shoulder pieces do not look so much out of place on M6, at least until you look at M4. ^^ I feared it would look worse. It would be nice to see a new sci-fi set by this vendor created especially for G2. For now I feel at a loss as to what to buy now and what later. I have only so much money left... I still haven't bought M6, waiting with the decision till next week. Hopefully the prices will stay the same till Dec the 3rd...
    I would love to render more sci-fi stuff but it seems that lately I have almost no time to play with DS. I acquired several Stonemason products during his sale, and all those awesome sets are just sitting there and begging me to render them, heh. ^^ But where is the time to do that? : [ I also seem to have more environments than clothes, especially sci-fi themed ones. : /

This discussion has been closed.