Novica & Serene Night’s Renders, Tips, Tutorials & Product Reviews PART 2

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited November 2013

They render quite fast- which is definitely a plus. I think it was seven or eight minutes and that is with a .40 shading rate, the other settings were turned up because of the UE2 lighting. The one I am doing now is less than FOUR MINUTES with a closeup- amazing. (Of the same person, Catrina, same hair, same outfit.) Be back in a few minutes.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited December 1969

that light set looks like a winner, Novica. How cool. =-)

edited November 2013

Yep, I think it's a good one if you want to only make a few tweaks, and for an overall light situation. Here's the closeup, again, it rendered really fast. This is still the Andrea For Young Teen Julie lighting, AOIBL.

EDIT: Keep in mind this is Catrina- you can have quite a natural looking figure. Sometimes the promos throw you off.
    http://www.daz3d.com/catrina

I'm changing her up now.

CatrinaSneakOutSportyBraidAndreaAOIBL4.jpg
    900 x 900 - 304K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

i13 Elation Expressions For Genesis 2 Females

http://www.daz3d.com/i13-elation-expressions-for-genesis-2-female-s

BTW, on that last closeup- It is expression number 21. I found the small thumbnails in Content Library were pretty good representations of the actual facial expressions, although the thumbnails seem like you are looking at one of those concave lens mirrors where everything curves out. Kinda funky but the expressions are pretty easy to judge.

You get more than just smiles, some of the expressions could be a bit of puzzlement, some look like the figure is in the middle of speaking which would come in handy.

edited December 1969

Pen Hair For Genesis And V6

http://www.daz3d.com/pen-hair-for-genesis

Still using Catrina, but applied her makeup- obviously! What a different character!
    And the outfit is Persian Beauty Outfit, again I don't have it in the Product Library or any results from an in-store search. Is there a list somewhere of what comes with the essentials- I am wondering if this is another one for Genesis 2? It goes kinda cute with the makeup.

So for Catrina, you can have a typical gal or a quite artistically painted one. The Pen Hair sure dappled in the light- it is the EXACT same light setup as the non-makeup Catrina. The Pen Hair is the one with the frequent updates if I recall. (in the DIM)

Still using Andrea AOIBL light setup.

CatrinaPersnBeautySportyBraidAndreaAOIBL6.jpg
    900 x 900 - 398K
    edited November 2013

...Did anyone get the high definition Michael? If so, can you throw us a render of the Bjorn skin? Just curious what he looks like.

Okay, I've got HD Michael. Who the heck is Bjorn? Is that the default skin for HD M6? I'm loading M6 HD into the scene now.
    EDIT: I have placed him EXACTLY where Catrina was so we can compare how that light set does on him. I do mean exactly- I kept the hair there and moved him into it, then turned Catrina back on in Parameters and they line up exactly. So he's rendering now, and I turned the shading rate down to .20 so we'll see how he looks. Didn't put any hair on him.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

If you folks want to see a really good closeup of Michael 6 HD, just wait till you see this one. He is at 39% at 15 minutes and all the settings are excellent quality- I turned off all his body (legs, torso, lower arms) so he'd render faster. The detail is amazing. Check back in about 20 minutes. (17 minutes he is now at 40%)

edited December 1969

OMGosh, OMGosh, OMGosh.
    77% at 27 minutes. He ROCKS.

edited November 2013

Michael 6 High Definition Add-On

Ta-duh. My Michael 6 HD, same exact lights as the previous renders. No tweaking. Just imagine what you can do if you tweaked the lights! Be sure to click to enlarge for those high definition details- this is a huge render.

Michael6HD2.jpg
    1121 x 1194 - 494K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Michael 6 High Definition Add-On

Ta-duh. My Michael 6 HD, same exact lights as the previous renders. No tweaking. Just imagine what you can do if you tweaked the lights! Be sure to click to enlarge for those high definition details- this is a huge render.

Wow! That looks good. Great work, and thanks for showing that. May have to buy the HD figure afterall. Too bad, I don't have any use for Andrea so I can get those lights, but the figure is stunning and looks good. Thanks for posting =-)

edited December 1969

Brandon
    M6 Expressions

http://www.daz3d.com/brandon
    http://www.daz3d.com/m6-xpressions

Next up, Brandon with M6 Expressions. All settings and lighting the same except it will be an 800 x 800 instead of a 1200 square image.
    I just did the head and body shape, did not change any of the skin textures. So it's Brandon shape loaded onto the high definition Michael 6. Should be at least 20 minutes.

edited December 1969

So here's Brandon loaded on top of Michael 6 HD, just the morphs, no skin textures.

BrandonNoTextJustMichael6HD.jpg
    800 x 800 - 214K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited December 1969

Novica, In a previous posting you said "My pixel filter widths are 10.67". I'm curious about why you chose that number? It seems strange to be using a non-integer number for pixel filter, but then I'm certainly not an expert on that subject.

edited November 2013

LOL, it was just what it ended up on when I slid the bar over.
    Adam's render settings from this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16085/

Very High Quality - This is generally used for final renders for competitions and other areas where close inspection is expected.
    Pixel Samples X/Y : 12
    Shadow Samples : 32
    Shading Rate : 0.10
    Pixel Filter X/Y : 8

Mine for the Michael 6 HD: (and the Brandon)
    Bucket Size 32
    Pixel Samples X/Y : 16
    Shading Rate : 0. 20
    Pixel Filter X/Y : 12.15 SEE BELOW. I keep this on 12 or more because I use depth of field and I'm afraid I'll forget to increase it to 12.

Per Adam:
    Depth of Field Standard - Sets up your render for Depth of Field

But I need to remember to do this-
    Depth of Field High - Smoother blurring

What do you usually do? Your renders are really good.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2013

Okay, now let's look. This is Brandon with the MU.04.duf applied. It makes the face white whereas the 03 doesn't (and the makeup is a bit different.)

I first applied the Mat Def. duf (what the heck is Def?) Then I did the Mat T Limbs / Torso for the tattoos. You can look to see if any of the HD is coming through.
    EDIT: Same lighting as Michael and the previous Brandon.

BrandonTextOverMichael6HD2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 200K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    LOL, it was just what it ended up on when I slid the bar over.
    Adam's render settings from this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16085/

Very High Quality - This is generally used for final renders for competitions and other areas where close inspection is expected.
    Shading Rate : 0.10
    Pixel Filter X/Y : 8

Mine for the Michael 6 HD: (and the Brandon)
    Bucket Size 32
    Shading Rate : 0. 20
    Pixel Filter X/Y : 12.15 SEE BELOW. I keep this on 12 or more because I use depth of field and I'm afraid I'll forget to increase it to 12.

Per Adam:
    Depth of Field Standard - Sets up your render for Depth of Field

But I need to remember to do this-
    Depth of Field High - Smoother blurring

What do you usually do? Your renders are really good.

I generally have pixel filter set to 6 or 8. In your explanation here, it seems like you might be confusing pixel samples and pixel filter. I understand increasing pixel samples for use with DOF, but I'm not aware of any need to change pixel filter for DOF. Your referenced page (Adam's recommendations) doesn't seem to say that you should increase pixel filter for DOF.
    edited December 1969

Yep, I did. I was probably jumping back and forth between two windows at the time (and dodging Cloud Fare, lol. At any given moment I am booted off the forum and sent to ERROR pages. Once this next render is done I'll redo it.

I'm doing the Mats SSS for Brandon. Was there anything I needed to do so far as lighting adjustments or render adjustments? I took the other materials completely off before applying these.

edited November 2013

I'm posting both of these in the same post so you can compare the SSS with the regular skin materials. The SSS has the same lighting but it appears there are more details (I'm scrutinizing the forehead.)

EDIT: The one with my name on it is the regular skin textures, the second is SSS. I can see a slight difference with the lines running through the forehead due to the change in the surface lighting.

BrandonTextOverMichael6HDSSS.jpg
    800 x 800 - 178K
    BrandonTextOverMichael6HD2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 200K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2013

Today’s review is:
    14MU Monitor Bot
    http://www.daz3d.com/14-mu-monitor-bot
    By Predatron

I admit it, I own most of the non-toony bots in the store. Bots are just useful extras… They don’t take up much space, they add a nice mood, and they are quick and easy to pose AND they can also do cool stuff… like this one can- they can fly!

14MU Monitor bot is a small little surveillance bot, perfect to catch those pesky celebrities on the move, or a burglar on the prowl. Since there is nothing those big eyes can’t see, you can easily pose them to peer and look at the world around them.

The bots have 4 different textures, and you can adjust the wings so they can rotate and move around. The only thing those bot eyes can’t do is light up and catch you with a nice flash, which I think is the only feature I wish this little guy had.

By default there is no included special effect to light those puppies up, and yeah you can post work something, or add points lights, but I wanted big glowing orbs, but I discovered a quick solution for those with the right software.

In futzing around with the eye portion of the bots, I discovered that if you own Hero FX extreme, http://www.daz3d.com/hero-fx-xtreme you can add a small FX plane right over the surface of the eye, shrinking it down to match the eyes size. (Image 1). Since the pane lights up and has its own ambient which you can then adjust. You can add whichever special effect light you like best.. This was so darn easy, I wish I’d thought of it sooner…

This is a nice product. Quick, easy to use, and renders well. By adding an fx plane to the lens, you can change the look of the camera lens to make this critter pop. A useful special look in the right situation.

1. Image 1... Applying hero fx to the eye
    2. Image 2.... The eyes in action!

Eyeshaveit.jpg
    914 x 914 - 414K
    Screenie1.jpg
    685 x 685 - 254K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Novica said:
    This is Andrea AOIBL lights. I increased UE2 from 55% to 64%. you'll like the lights with just a bit of tweaking, depending on the skin materials of the character you're using. From the promo, the lights are for a fairly light skin.
    I love using those lights; almost all my renders for the last month-ish plus have been using them, sometimes in combination with other lights. They render fast and just soft enough.

I do find that I have to drop the Specular down a bit for some characters (and/or edit the Skin materials to drop the glossiness/specular down), but they're excellent studio lights. (I had to edit the materials AND tweak the lights a little when working with Dan, for example.)

The only other thing I've noticed is that my pictures (with those lights) get a LOT better if I edit the color response curves in postwork and brighten the brights a little, and deepen the saturation for darker colors slightly. Things seem to 'pop' a little better if I do that. (I'm using Pixelmator for postwork, and it's a $15 bundle of joy to work with.) I'm not sure if there's something I could be doing in-render to make those colors come out stronger, but for now I'm not worrying about it.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Hi Cypherfox, nice of you to pop in.
    I've heard of that program. I use Corel Photo Paint but didn't do anything with these in postwork because I am showing the lights "as is" so to speak (and the forum darkens them a bit.) Everytime I increase contrast and think it looks good, the forum makes it too dark lol!
    Photo Paint has a nice lighten/darken- contrast- saturation quickie slider set that can give some nice results.

I can't remember exactly what I changed (am rendering Logan at the moment and headed to bed, it's 3am here) but I think it was the blues in that light setup. I'll double check tomorrow and confirm. Did you leave the colors the same or tweak quite a bit for Dan, if you remember?

Are there any other lightsets for characters that you like? SereneNight likes Jason, have you used that one?

edited November 2013

Logan
    Milen Hair
    M6 Expressions

http://www.daz3d.com/logan
    http://www.daz3d.com/milen-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/m6-xpressions

The promo art gives Logan a boyish look IMO- and there's nothing boyish about this hunk! Shown with the tattoos (which are optional) and without the eye makeup. The Milen Hair is stellar, very detailed. I did scale it up a bit so I could use Y translation and get it closer to the ears. The back has easy morphs to move the hair off the back and to curve it, so your action shots can have that swinging motion. Remember, you can HIDE parts of the hair too, which makes it quite versatile.

Thumbs up on Logan and Milen Hair :) (And Andrea lights again.)
    EDIT: And yes, once again this is using the Michael 6 HD with Logan applied over it. To remove the tattoos later, just go back in and apply the full body mats.

LoganMichael6HD2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 432K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

The 14MU Monitor Bot looks like fun- the lighting effects really worked out. What is that thing he is standing on? Looks like a frisbee scooter, lol. The lighting on that is perfect, it doesn't distract from the main action but gives it enough emphasis to show it is a powered whatever-it-is.

edited November 2013

I like that hair! Milen hair. I've added to my wishlist.

The thing he is standing on is a prop included with Future Wilderness http://www.daz3d.com/future-wilderness called a propeller skate. I confess I've wanted that prop for a while so when the set was on sale at 60% off I picked it up. I recolored the board from bright red to the military camo using our favorite Mach pack. The nice underside lighting is a feature of the prop- I think it looks good, particularly for moving your infantry around.

Lights here are the ones that come with Aiden http://www.daz3d.com/aiden-for-m5 with a spotlight added here and there. I find Aiden works pretty well for me with the Nathan figure.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Working on Logan (the first was the out of the box) to show you what he looks like using only .43 Michael 6 Swole. I like that he buffs up all over so easily, and it's very proportionate. I took off the tattoos.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Thought I would try out the andrea lights you spoke of..this is gen5 Addison with ranger hair and andrea lights , no tweaking. Took 23 minutes to render. I guess its the ranger hair that makes it so long?

addisonranger.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 295K
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Thought I would try out the andrea lights you spoke of..this is gen5 Addison with ranger hair and andrea lights , no tweaking. Took 23 minutes to render. I guess its the ranger hair that makes it so long?

Looks nice, Kharma. Yeah, likely the hair, I'm surprised at how much time hair can add to a render. Guess the only way is to test it sans hair and see how long it takes!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited November 2013

I like the lights...I always forget about the ones that come with the characters, so here I am struggling to make my own...thank goodness you all are here to remind us :)

SereneNight , your bot render looks good! I really like the camera angle you used and his facial expression. Cameras are another thing I struggle with

Post edited by Kharma on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Kharma! =-) I find the best thing to do with lights is make a folder and keep them all in there in my custom folders. This way I can easily find my favorites. I love the lights that come with characters almost more than the pro sets for some reason. I'm even thinking of buying Andrea- for the light- but haven't' bought it yet.

Unfortunately, I really don't like the YT line of figures. Especially the ones which are overly made up with large eyes. So the content really wouldn't be useful to me.

Yeah, for the longest time I had trouble panning the camera. One thing I wanted to show off is the lights on the bottom of the board, and panning and tilting the camera to get a good angle is the way to go. The board works well for this though- it parents to the figure so you can move the figure without tweaking the board.

edited November 2013

Kharma that looks really good!
    For anyone who wants to try this- here is the Andrea lights, with tweaking and my additions. I do not disclose the location of the lights to protect the vendor's work. The colors are mine though as are the three spotlight additions.

When I was using those lights, my figures weren't at World Center (000) as they were in a scene.

If you'd like to try this, save your scene so you don't ruin it, then move your figure to these coordinates and see what it does. The rotation is important too. SCALE YOUR FIGURE TO 106% so the light hits it the same way. My dude is taller than Catrina, etc and I scaled him up too. So from 106-108%, just test to see if the lights are hitting correctly.

MOVE YOUR FIGURE TO:
    The XYZ translations: -130.57 / -1.63 / 189.52
    The XYZ rotations: 0 / 66.90 / 0

Uber Environment intensity down to 13.8 scale to 60.5% and a mauve
    Specular spot 138.9 whitish
    Specular only 47.6 light yellow
    Infinite light 75.4 med pink

IMPORTANT: Add spotlight (1) for the cheek at 27.8% a dull yellow at translation coordinates -113.88 / 155.49 / 40.97
    For rotation, 172.64 / 1.97 / 179.99

Still the cheek, Spotlight 2, dull pink at 23% -110.2 / 169.43 / 150.71 and rotation 173.68 / -19.68 / 179.99
    Lower arm and underneaths, Spotlight 3 White 43.9% -19.29 / 49.26 / 156.89 and rotation -135.55 / 96.68 / 180.11

That is the light setup for the next render. Enjoy :)

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.