Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

So what do we all think of the new dog? He's in my cart (cos I want that free Victoria 8 LOL ) but I'm curious what opinions on him are. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,359
    jakiblue said:

This is my father. He died a few years after this photo from cancer. As you can see from the article, he was a bit of a "character", shall we say. laugh (click for larger image to read article)

What a character!

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited June 2018

Enjoying the family photos from everyone! Very cool. Novica, that's a lovely picture of Holly. It sounds like she enjoyed her life with you.

Finally got a chance to play with the Mid Victorian G8M outfit. This is a mix and match with the Regency Wellington boots for G2M (short but pointy, important for a Wild West setting) and an old freebie hat by SAV. Textures are from the Mid Victorian expansion pack. Character is G3M with CC Cillian skin, Kheiron body (dialed in to a low amount), and a Facegen morph enhanced with the base G3M morphs. Set and weapons are by Polish. Pose is from here, converted to G3M

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,569

I picked up nearly all dog items. I think I only didn't buy 3 of them, mostly because they were monsters, or stuff I would never use.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,663
    edited June 2018

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to do a quicky render with the HW dog and the new daz dog? I'm wondering how they compare sizewise. I do like it and will be getting it, but the daz Lab looks a little off to me in the front half of it's body. Something seems funky about how the front legs bend.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861

@jakiblue   OMG that is TOO hilarious! Go, Dad! So sorry for your loss, and I'm sure it is being felt by many, many people. 

@odaa  That looks really good, I love the action, the sepia tones definitely give it a vintage feeling. The outfit and character turned out really well and complement each other. 

@zombietaggerung   I don't have the other dog or I would test it for you :(   Sorry!  and @jakiblue   I haven't had time to render the new dog yet.

@novica That's ok. I actually got a payment for something I did recently so I have enough extra $ to get at least the base dog and a pose set. (along with the free V8) I'm just now trying to decide weather I want to get at least one breed morph too, or wait till tomorrow and see if another breed I really want (like a German Shepard) comes out.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited June 2018

@novica That's ok. I actually got a payment for something I did recently so I have enough extra $ to get at least the base dog and a pose set. (along with the free V8) I'm just now trying to decide weather I want to get at least one breed morph too, or wait till tomorrow and see if another breed I really want (like a German Shepard) comes out.

I think I'm going to check out tonight with the couple of things I really wanted from the V8 birthday sale, just in case that's one day only, and then reload the cart with my picks from the Dog8 stuff, and hold onto it for a couple of days just to see what happens. If nothing else, I can see if the weekly PC freebie (free with purchase to non-PC members) is worth adding to the cart.

@Novica: thank you! 

Post edited by Odaa on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,826

Looks like a bunch of us had parents from a similar era.

@novica I imagine you might have imherited some of that rolling pin attitude! The background objects (cars, furniture, blinds) look just like what my grandpoarents and our first house contained.

@barbult Dressed up and ready to go

@serenenight Cool glasses! 

@jakiblue That was a funny story, saved the day with scissors

Just getting to the computer today. Power was out since morning - even though it's only June, the temperature is like August and so are the blackouts

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2018
    Odaa said:

I think I'm going to check out tonight with the couple of things I really wanted from the V8 birthday sale, just in case that's one day only, and then reload the cart with my picks from the Dog8 stuff, and hold onto it for a couple of days just to see what happens. If nothing else, I can see if the weekly PC freebie (free with purchase to non-PC members) is worth adding to the cart.

I already checked out, for the same reason. I also took the opportunity to use my PlatClub coupon. I usually use both coupons within the first day or two of the month, but with all the "buy this, get these for free" offers, I'd not used it yet for June. Now I'm kinda glad I waited. five DOs for 90¢ including a DM set. I suppose now I'll have to "rise" to Novica's latest challenge! lol

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

yes, yes he was. Bit of a showman, as I used to call it. LOL. One of my favourite stories was when he was running a couple of pubs in Cairns, down near the wharf. They were....not upmarket pubs, shall we say? LOL. He advertised in the paper a 7 course meal for some dirt cheap price - and the 7 course meal was a six pack of beer and a meat pie. laugh This is going back about 35 years or so, so as far as I know, there were no repercussions over that. LOL. Or the time he was holding mud wrestling contests out the back of the pub (again, this is pre-politically correct times), and the police turned up - front page article of the newspaper the next day only mentioned him as "a man known only as Diamond Harry being the MC...". :sigh: Rather a ....colourful...life, I guess you could say.  

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

This is my father. He died a few years after this photo from cancer. As you can see from the article, he was a bit of a "character", shall we say. laugh (click for larger image to read article)

What a character!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Has anyone else had any issues rendering recently?  I've just spent a very frustrating 6 hours trying to render.  I've tried on both my pc and my laptop. Different windows versions and I've tried both the beta and the most recent build.  It keeps losing the scene and only rendering the background, either the hdri or the blank clear screen if I have draw dome off.  I have not changed a single thing, and the light and hdri's are ones I use all the time.  I am rendering the same way as I always have.  I have noticed that instead of loading a clear screen when the render starts and its doing its thing before the picture shows, the screen goes white before it starts to render (the render screen not my pc or the working studio picture.}  Its never done that before and its doing it on both computers.  I've literally started from scratch and hit render for each element that I add to the scene in an attempt to narrow it down.  Total failure, if I added on thing and it was fine and a couple items later it rendered that background scene, if I start another scene, and do exactly the same thing, something else might cause it.  Even when it didn't cause it the first time. I am beyond frustrated and am now behind on my promo's because I'm pretty sure that most people don't want to look at a plain hdri background.  I should add, it does it when I have no hdri and am using portrait lights as well. 

I’ve had it happen. It seems to be certain scenes. All that will render is the background. There has been notthing I can do to fix the issue except abandon the scene.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550

Ah Novica, so sorry about your kitty. Thanks for showing a picture of her, and the necklace you got to commemorate them. The very hardest part about being a pet guardian is knowing when we are prolonging their pain in order to postpone our own. You are very brave and loving.

Thanks for showing the pics of your parents too. Is that rolling pin still around? It is hard to find them that big anymore. Just wow!

@destinysgarden   LOL, it's amazing what I DO have, but the rolling pin isn't one of them. I do have a glass oil lamp from my great-grandmother which is about 130 years old (probably more!)  

Novica, all of a sudden I remembered the photo of you and your mother at her new home. OMG, now I realize that is the same woman as in the rolling pin photos. How did I not make that connection immediately????

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,961

My latest purchase.

After saying I wouldn't buy the Dog 8 until maybe around wintertime I decided to get the Dog 8 and am impressed with it's quality and the morphs available to create different breeds although the morphs are not capable of creating all breeds. I am surprised at the movement morphs for the head & neck. I know nothing about dog anatomy but the head & neck move like a crane more than a head and neck. To create new breeds one needs a reference book and a good ability to create iRay texture sets.

I'm still holding off on the other dog products though.

Also I've made a render using the Action NewsCenter product from a year or two ago. I have to say I think it's a good product although it would of been nice to include a 3 point lighting setup for the telecaster. The set was loaded in iRay material format and includes render settings for the numerous lights on the set, just not a set of 3 point lights for the telecaster. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,301

Yep the news has gone to the dogs

LOL!

ROBERT!!!!!   Behave. 

@nonesuch00  That is a really fun render! 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,961
    Novica said:

ROBERT!!!!!   Behave. 

@nonesuch00  That is a really fun render! 

No worries, the newscaster is reporting about a flea and tick outbreak and is none-to happy about it.

• NathNath Posts: 2,735
    20180619 felton.png
    800 x 657 - 868K

I’ve had it happen. It seems to be certain scenes. All that will render is the background. There has been notthing I can do to fix the issue except abandon the scene.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing.  I did finally get something that I can use for that particular promo but sadly, its nowhere near the scene that I had done. Couldn't have been a crap scene of course, it had to be something that I really liked lol.

Yeah I don’t know what it is. Some form of corruption or something. Tried everything to rescue it from importing it into another scene to saving as a scene subset.

Yeah I don’t know what it is. Some form of corruption or something. Tried everything to rescue it from importing it into another scene to saving as a scene subset.

I just got word from one of the girls I work with from Sympatico and she says that at least for this render, all of her characters, if you use the eyelashes that come with her characters it will cause this to happen.  I haven't had a chance to test this, but thinking back on it, I don't think I used the eyelashes on my last render and that may be why it worked.  Just thought I would pass it on as one possible cause, she says it happens to her with every character from this vendor , and its just the eyelashes.  She over at rendo but I wonder if there are issues with others as well.

I just got word from one of the girls I work with from Sympatico and she says that at least for this render, all of her characters, if you use the eyelashes that come with her characters it will cause this to happen.  I haven't had a chance to test this, but thinking back on it, I don't think I used the eyelashes on my last render and that may be why it worked.  Just thought I would pass it on as one possible cause, she says it happens to her with every character from this vendor , and its just the eyelashes.  She over at rendo but I wonder if there are issues with others as well.

Which vender?

edited June 2018

I picked up the base dog figure and my free V8, but i decided to wait on the breeds until one I really want comes out. It's actually really big in comparison to the HW and DZfire's robot dogs. But very easy to pose and renders nicely.

play.png
    1920 x 1187 - 5M
    Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,059

While I don't know why eyelashes would cause this (unless there's a stray poly you can't see that blocks the camera view), if you are setup to render canvases and an alpha canvas is active, it will look like a black render. If it's loading as a scene subset, there's a chance the render settings include an alpha canvas.

This discussion has been closed.