Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,432
    Novica said:

I'm baaaaaack. That storm was massive several days ago, the internet company came out today and got us back up and running. BTW, and this was not our case but just in case you don't know this- and the internet guy mentioned it and reminded me-   it is NOT ENOUGH to unplug your electronics. Get those metal prong plugs away from the outlet/power strip, as lightning can easily arc out of the wall or power plug, across to the very thing you unplugged. Makes sense- if lightning is racing through your electrical system and unbelievable speed, why would it hesitate to make a little leap and continue onto a very attractive metal surface?  The man down at the Goodyear Tire store told me several years ago that  happened to him, and it fried his expensive 65" television which he thought was safe due to being unplugged. 

The internet guy told me our power company sells bona fide power surge (industrial type) and to not bother with the commercial ones found at most stores. If you're not home during the day, live in a frequent summer thunderstorm area, just unplug your stuff (and move the cord away from where you plug in) before you leave for work! 

Hi Novica. I'm glad you were able to get back on line.

Good advice; but also remember the lighning can come in through the cable as well as your power line. So, that needs to be unhooked as well. We sometimes have severe thunderstorms here as well and I use UPS units that have better surge protection than just the common commercial power strips; but even the UPS protection can fail if the strike is severe enough. However, fortunately, they guarantee replacement costs for your equipment if their protection fails.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861
    edited June 2018

Good advice; but also remember the lighning can come in through the cable as well as your power line. So, that needs to be unhooked as well. 

Oh yes, we unplug everything! I'd move it out of the way to Kansas if I could! cheeky  Edit- I never said what actually happened- it was a power surge as the storm approached, so lightning must've triggered something at a transformer fairly far away. That's the scary thing. We were unplugged when the lightning fried my neighbor's modem. She wasn't at home to unplug it. (Remember Candy and I on the front porch, and I was Cousin It with my hair in my face?) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,961
    edited June 2018
    Novica said:

While we're on the Edit>Preferences>Interface, two things I have "off" that I don't know what they do (everything is default unless I see it explained somewhere) and those are:
    Per Pixel Shading
    Pixel Buffer

What are these and are yours off or on?

Mine are both on but I was thinking of the 'Tool Tips' that can be 'On' or 'Off' in that same window.

I think Per Pixel Shader means iRay calculations of done for every single pixel in your image which means since iRay must perform multiple separate calculations for each pixel it must keep multiple copies of the same pixel, do the calculations, and then combine them...I'm not sure but I think that the combine step is when iRay writes to your image canvas.

I think Pixel Buffer is allowing DAZ Studio to allocate more RAM for the 'Per Pixel Shading' and other calculations which if you have enough RAM should make the reads & writes of those pixels go much faster. 

At least that's what I think both of those are...

For the tooltips problem, I suppose it is also possible that a Windows UI setting is causing them not to show up. 

On Ui on the 'Desktop' - 'This PC' - RMB - Properties  - then a window Control Panel\System and Security\System - Advanced system -  then Advanced system settings

then a new window - System Properties - Advanced - Performance - Settings... -

then a new windows - Visual Effects - check those for any that might disable tooltips.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,301
    edited June 2018
    Novica said:

I'm baaaaaack. That storm was massive several days ago, the internet company came out today and got us back up and running. BTW, and this was not our case but just in case you don't know this- and the internet guy mentioned it and reminded me-   it is NOT ENOUGH to unplug your electronics. Get those metal prong plugs away from the outlet/power strip, as lightning can easily arc out of the wall or power plug, across to the very thing you unplugged. Makes sense- if lightning is racing through your electrical system and unbelievable speed, why would it hesitate to make a little leap and continue onto a very attractive metal surface?  The man down at the Goodyear Tire store told me several years ago that  happened to him, and it fried his expensive 65" television which he thought was safe due to being unplugged. 

The internet guy told me our power company sells bona fide power surge (industrial type) and to not bother with the commercial ones found at most stores. If you're not home during the day, live in a frequent summer thunderstorm area, just unplug your stuff (and move the cord away from where you plug in) before you leave for work! 

Hi Novica. I'm glad you were able to get back on line.

Good advice; but also remember the lighning can come in through the cable as well as your power line. So, that needs to be unhooked as well. We sometimes have severe thunderstorms here as well and I use UPS units that have better surge protection than just the common commercial power strips; but even the UPS protection can fail if the strike is severe enough. However, fortunately, they guarantee replacement costs for your equipment if their protection fails.

Everything major goes on a UPS

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    edited June 2018

Aeon Soul was mentioned as I remember a whilr back  all clothe s in this are from Aeon Soul

CyberCityRain.png
    1914 x 1022 - 3M

Aeon Soul was mentioned as I remember a whilr back  all clothe s in this are from Aeon Soul

LOL frankly I think the umbrellas steal the show. Talk about vibrant and attention getting!

I like that render too, although I would like better if the gals under the umbralla were more visible, but then that would likely loose a lot of the umbrella light. 

edited June 2018
    Novica said:

LOL frankly I think the umbrellas steal the show. Talk about vibrant and attention getting!

This the umbrella product and yeah they are kinda bright

https://www.daz3d.com/illumberella-for-3delight-and-iray

https://www.daz3d.com/illumberella-texture-addon

edited June 2018

Will my thread surfers kindly take a few minutes and vote over in the Bryce Challenge?  The entries are in the first post, please note you need to pick your top four. (No specific order.) You can click on the survey and it will open in a new window, it tells you what the challenge was. You do NOT need to register to vote. It's super easy.

You don't have to post to the thread and tell them you voted, but it would be supportive. And thanks! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,060
    edited June 2018
    Fishtales said:

That was my first thought too as she appeared.

Ditto for me

Not a elven warrior :) I need to work on the skin, which is Corvena, it looks as if she is covered in powder :) The outfit is Leris, but I couldn't get the boots to fit so used a pair of sandles with the suit texture applied.

Click on image for full size.

shimal-attack-copyright-001.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 445K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

Kudos to @aavenainen and @destinysgarden   for dForce My Guy Jeans and Shirt (Gen8M)    I love the length of the pants (I don't like pants that are short and end conveniently above the ankle.)  Those pants touch the top of the foot and look SO good! I really like the 3/4 sleeves, that's just plain sexy. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Kudos to @aavenainen and @destinysgarden   for dForce My Guy Jeans and Shirt (Gen8M)    I love the length of the pants (I don't like pants that are short and end conveniently above the ankle.)  Those pants touch the top of the foot and look SO good! I really like the 3/4 sleeves, that's just plain sexy.

+1 (with emphasis!) Destinys Garden also did the texture set. Looks like 10 options each for the shirt and the pants.

I thought the Itamae Outfit looked really good, too, but it's not something I could use as much as a good shirt and jeans set.

I liked the Itamae Outfit too- and in Fast Grab recently, the Japanese Restaurant, Spa, and Hot Spring Bundle was 70% off and only $11.99. The chef would be right at home with that garment.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,787
    Novica said:

Oh yes, we unplug everything! I'd move it out of the way to Kansas if I could! cheeky  

Maybe not Kansas

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Novica said:

Think that's Marshian Illumbrella, which is one of those items I always look covetously at and never quite get around to pulling the trigger on.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550

@Novica and @L'Adair thanks so much for great compliments. Not a noodle leg in sight.

edited June 2018
    Novica said:

Oh yes, we unplug everything! I'd move it out of the way to Kansas if I could! cheeky  

Maybe not Kansas

Well, I might still think about it if Toto were included in the deal. (It looks like Stetson is already there LOL. That horse looks quite a bit like him, particularly with the overflowing mane!) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2018

Lyall Hair (Gen3M / Gen8M)     Gym Wear Outfit (Gen8M)     Z Hotel Room

Here's another Lorenzo (coming soon from DarwinsMishap) for Genesis 8 Male(s). I like the veins and he also does quite well with expressions, the mouth is very fluid. (Will be adding the products in a few minutes, it takes forever for a scene to clear from my studio and open another one. That started with this latest version of studio, which I hate. No studio crashes the past week, but this is the MOST unstable version I've ever encountered. (Since 2012. And I have an excellent computer, much better than the laptop I used for years.) 

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Here's another Lorenzo (coming soon from DarwinsMishap) for Genesis 8 Male(s). I like the veins and he also does quite well with expressions, the mouth is very fluid. (Will be adding the products in a few minutes, it takes forever for a scene to clear from my studio and open another one. That started with this latest version of studio, which I hate. No studio crashes the past week, but this is the MOST unstable version I've ever encountered. (Since 2012. And I have an excellent computer, much better than the laptop I used for years.) 

Yeah, that expression is more realistic then typical. It Lorenzo supposed to be a teen though (or maybe that's the smile expression being effective as that expression is not so typical while at work)? 

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    L'Adair said:
    Novica said:

@icedragonart   Thanks, good to be back. I'd like to know how to get it to do the enlargements too, I've never figured it out, even on my desktop. I'm sure someone will speak up and assist me, and hopefully solve your problem too. 

Okay, I don't know how to get the mouse hovering to show the images on Sonja's laptop. However, when you hover over the icon, the "window" that shows up includes the icon unless there is a "tip" image. For example, producticon.png and producticon.tip.png. The icon and the tip image need to be in the same folder. Typically, the icon is 91 x 91 pixels and the tip is 256 x 256 pixels. However, the tip image can be larger. I think I read it can be as large as 640 x 640, but with this old gray matter, that could be wrong. Anyway. if you create your own icons by rendering the item, you can make that tip image large.

Draagonstorm published Thumbnail Mastery that will create icons for you, but I have no idea if it creates the tip images, or if so, if it allows you to specify the tip image size. Maybe someone who has and uses it can come in and clarify.

It is definately turning on the Tool Tips (Edit/Prefences/Content/Show File Info Tool Tips) that shows the larger icons, if they are included.

If you hover over your icons and you see a window like this with a little icon, that means your tool tips are on, but the vendor did not include the larger thumbnail. This drives me batty, especially with poses.

If you hover over the icon and you see this box with the big icon, the vendor did include the larger thumbnails (.tip files)

There really isn't a way to size up the 91x91 .png thumbnails, because upsizing them is going to turn the image to mush. Really, the only way to get bigger thumbs, if the vendor did not include them, is to render your own images, which is a lot of work.

Thumbnail Mastery is really great for this, if you decide you want to render your own thumbnails. I use it all the time on my own products for the store. You basically have to set up a scene, run the Thumbnail Mastery Script, select the presets you want to render, and then go wash the dishes or take a nap. It is perfect if you need to show 50 different shader presets on one set of drapes, or multiple make up options on a character. It is not so great if you are showing something like poses where you might want a different camera angle. Also not so great if you have lots of little things to show, or need to show parts of a room.

Odaa said:
    Novica said:

Think that's Marshian Illumbrella, which is one of those items I always look covetously at and never quite get around to pulling the trigger on.

Yep thats it with addon textures

Doing some experimenting with it to see if I can get the figures better lit

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,406
    Fishtales said:
    Fishtales said:

Ditto for me

Not a elven warrior :) I need to work on the skin, which is Corvena, it looks as if she is covered in powder :) The outfit is Leris, but I couldn't get the boots to fit so used a pair of sandles with the suit texture applied.

Nice work. The only issue I have with her (and it may have been deliberate on your part), is her facial featiures seems to be crowded into such a small area of her face. Granted, there are people with faces like that even in real life, but it does look odd. 

@destinysgarden Thanks, that was indeed what I was seeing and it had no image so I thought I wasn’t finding it. I did research icon pop ups a couple months ago and apparently those don’t need to be labeled tip anymore for the png. Someone correct me if I’m wrong though. You just need the larger size and what I read which was common was 150 x 150 or 256 x 256. Not sure why that number is stuck in my head.

I am on my phone again, more lightning and I am definitely not having my Alienware zapped. I got two year warranty on the modem bought yesterday but not having an electronic plugged in!

Lorenzo can look older too, I already have a render with a different beard and hairstyle but have to get back online first. In that hotel render I was going for the younger look.

There’s three or four different eyebrows, one a lot thicker and dark, which ages him quite a bit. I love that he has the no brow option too.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,060
    Fishtales said:
    Fishtales said:

Ditto for me

Nice work. The only issue I have with her (and it may have been deliberate on your part), is her facial featiures seems to be crowded into such a small area of her face. Granted, there are people with faces like that even in real life, but it does look odd. 

I have to agree with you, the thighs are a bit overdone too ????

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

My problem is I don't even get the first window.  I would be HAPPY with the first window lol.  I'm going camping this weekend so will only have internet on my phone, so won't be around much

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,406
    Fishtales said:
    Fishtales said:
    Fishtales said:

Ditto for me

I have to agree with you, the thighs are a bit overdone too ????

Just a "little"devil

Did some work on the Illumbrella lights

CyberCityRain2.png
    1914 x 1022 - 3M
    CyberCityRain3.png
    1914 x 1022 - 3M

@robertfriese   I like the ambient glow on their heads. 

edited June 2018

I'm rather sad to say one of my cats (the last of three) who I inherited from my deceased father-in-law has been sleeping by the bedroom door the past several days, since Tuesday. It's become obvious tonight she has had a stroke or something is wrong as she is now wobbly and her eyes in her face have changed. We've been pampering her all evening and I will make the call tomorrow to get her relief from this. She is (I am guessing, will have to look it up) 17 years old. Hollie is like a Tribble, she does the "LLLLLLLbrrrrow" in a beautiful trill and reaches out to grab you with her paw when you go by (with claws, I might add)

She's a typical dark gray/black striped tabby, with gorgeous green eyes. Really green, not olive. Her favorite place is the top of the three tiered kitty condo and keeping an eye on the back porch from her lofty perch.  

So I'm getting off the computer and spending awhile with her, and have to get to sleep because I don't want her to suffer all morning. I have been honored to give her a home knowing my dying father-in-law (cancer) knew his cats would be indoor only and pampered. That's all he worried about. You may recall Spinner and Misty were put to sleep last  December and January, so Hollie is the last of the three that he owned. Rather sad to lose that last living bond of the pets he also cared for.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.