Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited June 2018

@nonesuch00   Too funny!  No wonder Sahana looks grim- it's never fun to see a guy get the "brush-off." 

@melanieL    I got the Rocker Chic Bundle back on February 13th, and that was when the Alexandra Pro came out and you got to pick free bundles. I also got Lovable Nerds and Hip Hop Bundle. I remember I could pick up to three free, and my email invoice says 0.00 for all those. I show three of the new releases which came out with Alexandra, so IIRC for every new release from Alexandra, (limit 3)  you got a free Pro Bundle.

Edit- so I went back and double checked, and it makes no sense that the Rocker outfit is showing up now as the latest outfit, but indeed it is. I'm wondering if I bought it using the phone (when off the internet) and "purchased" didn't show up as I may not have been logged in until I had to check out. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll have to check my recent orders.

Post edited by Novica on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    Novica said:

I'm rather sad to say one of my cats (the last of three) who I inherited from my deceased father-in-law has been sleeping by the bedroom door the past several days, since Tuesday. It's become obvious tonight she has had a stroke or something is wrong as she is now wobbly and her eyes in her face have changed. We've been pampering her all evening and I will make the call tomorrow to get her relief from this. She is (I am guessing, will have to look it up) 17 years old. Hollie is like a Tribble, she does the "LLLLLLLbrrrrow" in a beautiful trill and reaches out to grab you with her paw when you go by (with claws, I might add)

She's a typical dark gray/black striped tabby, with gorgeous green eyes. Really green, not olive. Her favorite place is the top of the three tiered kitty condo and keeping an eye on the back porch from her lofty perch.  

So I'm getting off the computer and spending awhile with her, and have to get to sleep because I don't want her to suffer all morning. I have been honored to give her a home knowing my dying father-in-law (cancer) knew his cats would be indoor only and pampered. That's all he worried about. You may recall Spinner and Misty were put to sleep last  December and January, so Hollie is the last of the three that he owned. Rather sad to lose that last living bond of the pets he also cared for.

So sorry to hear that! crying Please post a pic of her...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    edited June 2018
    Novica said:

Sahana (Gen8F)     Rocker Outfit (Gen3F / Gen8F)     Rocker Outfit Textures    Wine Hall

Okay, so having some fun. Looking at my recent purchases, decided to take my most recent character, outfit, and set and put them together in a scene. So Sahana got the Rocker Outfit and put down in a Wine Hall!

Here she is in the gallery. 

TIP: when a character is leaning, try the Twist morph as larger pieces might turn sideways as they go left or right. That's what I did with the gem and it looked a lot better. 

So if you were to render your most-recently-bought character, outfit, and set, (not required) what did she see out the back door of the Wine Hall?

Oh, very nice image!

I'll take your fun challenge. The latest character and clothing I bought was the Darius 8 Pro Bundle, so I got FW Marcus HD for Darius 8 and Boardwalk Casual Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s). The last environment I bought (other than weekly freebies that I ignored, because they aren't really something I selected and paid for) is The Private Garden.

I added some dForce to the pants and shirt tail, because the pants looked like stupid stiff tubes and the shirt didn't bend over the pants very well. The dForce results wouldn't hold up to close scrutiny, but it is OK for this distant shot.

Marcus Boardwalk Casual Private Garden_001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited June 2018
    barbult said:

Oh, very nice image!

I'll take your fun challenge.

Well done! So Sahana goes from feeling sorry for a dude to wishing she was out the Wine Hall back door and with Marcus! It sure looks like a nicer place to be than alone in a Wine Hall. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2018

It's Fathers Day and want to give a shoutout to all you dads and grandfathers. My father died back in 1981 when I was only 23. So I thought I'd share my favorite photos of my father, which are when he and Mom got married, and were newlyweds.  My sister, aunts, uncles, etc all have copies of the rolling pin and magazine pictures, it's a family treasure.

So I'd like to invite you for the rest of this evening (edit- and the next several days) to post your favorite Dad photos- of you as a Dad, or your Dad or Grandfather. Moms are welcome too!

Happy Father's Day everyone! 
    We'll start with the wedding.

Next, they hop in the car, leaving for the honeymoon. Edit- this is the same car where, upon picking Mom up for their first date, THE HORN GOT STUCK AND WOULDN'T SHUT OFF as he pulled up to the house to pick her up! And to make it even funnier, he didn't even honk it. He was mortified as the wiring or something was loose and he hit a pothole in the driveway and HONKKKKKKK! off it went! Mom tells everyone her first thought was "What nerve! Honking and not even coming to the door!" which is exactly what Dad was afraid she'd be thinking. He couldn't get to the front door fast enough, with the horn blaring away! 

Back from the honeymoon, things seem to be going well. (And stayed that way, they were married 34 years, until his death.) 

But there may have been a few areas of contention along the way. 

However, it was quickly established who was The Boss, and thus it remained. (Rightly so.) 

momdad wedding2.png
    637 x 850 - 612K
    momdad car2.png
    713 x 950 - 812K
    momdad couch2.png
    800 x 800 - 716K
    momdad magazine2.png
    800 x 800 - 732K
    momdadrolling pin.png
    965 x 724 - 735K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Lovely pictures Novica!  What a treasure.  My dad died when I was 33 and 37 when my mom died.  Its tough.  I will see if I can dig out any good ones, I will have to scan them in at work.

edited June 2018

Thanks @icedragonart   Go back up and read what I added. I just remembered something about that car that we always get a good laugh about. It would only happen to my Dad! 

Sure, for everyone-  if it takes a day or two to dig them out, feel free to post whenever. I wish I would have thought of this a couple days ago, we could have planned something ahead of time. And Moms and Dads are both welcome!

Post edited by Novica on
  • xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited June 2018

@Novica I am sorry for your cat. It is so tough to loose them.

Edit : your parents look great. I lost my mother 15 year ago and my father passed a year ago. So today was not a good day for me.

@barbult very good image!

A really quick one. My latest purchased figure is Floyd, my latest clothes are female so, instead, I put a towel from https://www.daz3d.com/the-werks-mega-prop-pack with shaders from https://www.daz3d.com/uhd-fuzzy-cloth-shaders-and-merchant-resource both recent purchases and the last environment is https://www.daz3d.com/fountain-collection-for-iray with MEC4D shaders for the water.

18_Floyd2.png
    600 x 480 - 645K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
    edited June 2018

Edit : your parents look great. I lost my mother 15 year ago and my father passed a year ago. So today was not a good day for me.

@xmasrose  I'm so sorry today is difficult for you- but that just tells me what a neat Dad you had, that you're missing him so much.

So far as Floyd, I think Sahana will elect to either stay in the Wine Hall, or definitely check out Marcus. But you never know, she may like a more mature dude. Particularly if he offers her that ice cream sundae! (Looks yummy btw!) 

I love the combinations these latest characters/sets/clothes are providing! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,815
    edited June 2018

Here's a couple photos of my dad. The first shows him in the Aleutian Islands, where he was stationed during WWII with the Army Air Corp (predecessor of the US Air Force). He graduated from high school during the middle of the war then spent 18 months on several different islands. His biggest fight during that time was against "cold and snow".

This second photo is of my mom and dad after he returned and shortly before they married.

This next photo is of 3 of us children. That's me with curly red hair in the middle. Two not shown are later additions, a sister born in the late 50's and a brother born in the late 60's. We had a 21 year spread between youngest to oldest!

Unfortunately, I don't have many photos of my dad. He was usually behind the camera, so in most shots it's us kids with mom. Then they divorced in the early 70's and he died in 1985. We stayed in contact with his new wife for many years but then stopped hearing from her. Many of his photos went with her. But I have plenty of great memories of him, and recall fondly how patiently he listened to my many harebrained invention ideas.

Dad-WW2-aleutian.JPG
    2266 x 3018 - 1M
    Mom and Dad.jpg
    720 x 960 - 68K
    Mom_028.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 755K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

@melanieL 

I figured out why the Rocker Outfit was used as the recent outfit, it's because it was the Rocker Outfit TEXTURES. You had me going a minute there. When I was using my phone to shop (due to internet being out) some of the shopping was done when I wasn't signed in. So I thought perhaps I had bought the Rocker Outfit twice, as I signed in to check out and thought I had double checked at that point to avoid re-buys. Sigh of relief- I did the outfit because the textures were most recently bought, which applied to an outfit.  :)

Got them for $2.72 along with Elven Knight Armor (Male and Female) 2.72 ea, Off the Shoulder Romper Textures 3.48 and the Romper for 3.50. White Fox Outfit textures were 3.14   So that day was a texture day apparently and Tesla set day for me, for the most part. (June 12th) 

edited June 2018

@rgcincy    Wouldn't it be cool if your dad and my dad knew each other or met? Dad was also WWII but he was a Signal Corps guy and I know he was stationed in Panama, not sure when. My Uncle Hollis, only 18 (my mom's brother) got killed on D-Day on the beaches of Normandy. 

You are ADORABLE as a curly top boy- even then I can see the wheels turning. "Must....render...big....cities.....and who...the heck....is Rabbicus?" 

Wonder if those are flowers (every country photo I've seen from back then, the hydrangeas were everywhere in huge bushes!) or their own garden? I see blooming flowers in the first forefront group, but imagine it was a garden in the back? Your mom and dad are SO cute together! And your older brother looks like a great sport, I bet you had fun together. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    edited June 2018

This is my mother and father around 1949, before they were married. He died when I was 9, so I don't have many photos of him.

Kay and Ralph about 1949.jpg
    2435 x 3670 - 5M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567
    edited June 2018

My father passed last year. He was also a military vet, he fought in several wars, and was a paratrooper and sniper. Here are two pictures of my father. The first shows him and his best friend on the farm in rural Missouri. He did not want to be a farmer and ran away to join the military at a young age. Being a sniper was a good fit, since most Missouri farm boys in his age could shoot very well, plus it suited his indepenant nature.

The second image is of my father taken for a Racing magazine. I like it because of the two pairs of glasses!

My father was not a rule follower. He always danced to the beat of his own drums.

21105480_1677510678987470_568843878369233319_n.jpg
    632 x 960 - 40K
    21032505_1674390792632792_2423575370554036245_n.jpg
    960 x 637 - 41K
    Post edited by Serene Night on

@barbult  Your father looks, well my first thought- classy and sophisticated, a gentle nature, and your mom is glowing! She could've been a model! (Love the peeptoe sandals and the old car in the background.) Your mom and dad seem a great fit for each other. 

And @serenenight  your dad is definitely spunky and the best word is BOLD!  Racing and adventure definitely radiate from that glasses picture! I can see why you like it so much.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited June 2018

My mom & dad had 7 kids between 1956 and 1969. He died in 1973 when I was 8. He was also in WWII and the Korean War, but mostly the Korean War because WWII was almost ending by the time he was old enough to get drafted or volunteer, I don't know which as it was different then; a soldier didn't volunteer really, mostly, but often would join to get in the service they liked best. He joined the Army Air Corps too, but by the time he go out it was the US Air Force.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited June 2018

@melaniel  Okay, I had to go to my computer external hard drive to find a good photo of Holly, I'd taken thousands of pictures off my iphone because I literally filled it up!  I wanted to show one taken in January, when she was on top of the kitty condo in the master bedroom. She leaned forward and trilled her usual "Brrrrowwww" and I thought her eyes were so pretty. I asked the vet on Friday if the rimming inside the eyes was due to a hemorrage or something, and he said no, it was just old age. Holly always had the most beautiful, vibrant green eyes of any cat I've ever owned. 

So in honor of Holly who died Friday, June 15th, at 10:50am, here she is this past January atop the kitty condo. She loved looking out the windows to the back porch and pool, where birds flitted in and out of the tropical vegetation. Never boring! 

Holly Jan21 7am 2018B.png
    825 x 815 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,282

That's an excellent picture

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Beautiful kitty. Great dad and family pics everyone. 

This is my opinion and I rarely go ballistic but I am REALLY IRKED. Stating that a product is THE BEST of anything should absolutely not be allowed in a product title. It's totally disrespectful toward other vendors selling the same type of product, on the same day!   Are you serious????

Second, if you've ever read the instructions for PAs for writing the descriptions on the product pages, I recall it tells you (summarizing here) not to write fluff or marketing statements, and to stick to facts. So then they let someone put a title that they have the BEST?  While I appreciate the vendor's enthusiasm, this is just not a good marketing strategy so far as how I felt when I saw it.  Did it strike anyone else the same way?

• NathNath Posts: 2,728

I read it as a play on the phrase 'good dog', so [best dog][poses] rather than [best][dog poses], but both interpretations are possible.

edited June 2018

I can see that interpretation except the dog poses have nothing to do with behaving. Only a few show the dog being on his "best" behavior. But thanks for pointing that out, to give another possibility. I still feel "the best" anything shouldn't be in a title. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Not sure if the vendors choose which day their products are released though, I think it's DAZ marketing that decide when products are released and in which sales and so on. I must admit I didn't even thought of the name of the product, I merely glanced at the title and looked only at the poses :)

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,046

Promos are "the BEST DOG poses", so I took it as a reference to poses for the best dog model around.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

Seems a common phase for those in the dog circuit. Best in show and all that. I doubt it was done to slight vendors but that’s a common phrase used at dog shows.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Those are poses that they put the dogs in when they try those competing dogs for the 'best in show' at those dog competitions like Westminster Dog Show.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2018
    Novica said:

This is my opinion and I rarely go ballistic but I am REALLY IRKED. Stating that a product is THE BEST of anything should absolutely not be allowed in a product title. It's totally disrespectful toward other vendors selling the same type of product, on the same day!   Are you serious????

I didn't look that closely, to be honest, but went back to look after reading your comment. My first thought was the vendor named it Best Friend Poses, but another vendor already had that, so they changed it to Best Dog. (Except I then noticed the Best Dog was assigned a number first.) Then I read what Serene Night wrote:

Seems a common phase for those in the dog circuit. Best in show and all that. I doubt it was done to slight vendors but that’s a common phrase used at dog shows.

Followed by nonesuch00's post:

Those are poses that they put the dogs in when they try those competing dogs for the 'best in show' at those dog competitions like Westminster Dog Show.

It makes sense, too, but might have been more clear if it were titled Best in Show, Competition Dog Poses. Or something along those lines. Anyone indifferent to dog shows, like myself, wouldn't recognize any of those poses as being specific to competition, Nor did the vendor make that distinction in the Details…

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited June 2018

I'm not seeing that (a dog show) at all with many of the poses, and I've watched Westminster many times. I can see it for some of the poses, but not with the dog racing as hard and fast as he can, nor crouching and looking down at the ground like around the corner.  Nor leaping from a lope with back hindquarters in the air.  Anyway, if dog show poses were the intention, it is inconsistent to me.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone, you're impressions are probably correct. I still despise Best in any titles though. 

Post edited by Novica on

The banner is now showing up for an additional 20% off to the dog and Victoria sale items. In case you aren't sure what the prices should be, with buying 5 of the required, the dog, all the breeds, Chew TIme, Home Sweet Home, Accessories, Waste Station, and Collars go 73% off. The Dogs Days of Summer (the doghouse)  goes 61%. I am a PC+ member. 

There are many Gen3/Gen8 items in the sale so I'd scoop those up in case they're pulled. It's been frustrating (as noted in the sale thread) that when questions are raised or something isn't working, Daz pulls them instead of fixing them. Sort by figure and select the 3 and the 8 gals. Even if you're not using 8 yet, you get 3 and 8 so you might as well take a peek at them. Most are 78% off but there is at least one that is more. 

And if you're online now, I'd download and get it out of the way as it's going on 5:30am here and most of the United States is waking up and shopping in the next few hours. Downloads may get slower. It was quite zippy a few minutes ago when I used DIM. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

This is my father. He died a few years after this photo from cancer. As you can see from the article, he was a bit of a "character", shall we say. laugh (click for larger image to read article)

harry_paper.jpg
    731 x 672 - 106K
This discussion has been closed.