Sakura 8

Comments

• This deal looks interesting, too bad it's only for today! I don't get money till friday! oh well!  

The DAZ flagship figures promos generally last a lot longer than one day. They just get moved to a secondary banner to make way for the day's next sale. I suspect there will be a lot of Sakura related releases in coming days.

Yes, I kinda ment getting the added 2 free pro bundles. that is really awesome. I don't have any of the items in those. So it would be a super deal. Monique and Darrius lasted many days.

I expect that deal to last for days as well. It always has in the past.

what deal is thsi?

The "buy bundle get previous bundles for free" deal.

• j cade said:

Since I imagine some folks might be into it, I (very quickly... seriously like 30 mins of work this morning) whipped up a  couple morphs to enable better with the default eyes.

It isnt quite perfect, but it does make, say, blending with other figures a bit easier.

I'll be sticking it up on sharecg once I've packaged it up either tonight or tomorrow.

When is DimensionTheory's Iray Toon Shader coming out? IMO, this should have been released with Sakura 8 to maximize sales for both products. They could have had bundle deals involving each other. Also, was this Shader used in all the toon shaded promos, or just the one that mentions it?

It's been out for quite a while: https://www.daz3d.com/sketchy-toon-edge-and-art-style-shaders-for-iray

Please let us know when those eye morphs are ready, they look wonderful! really good!!!

And dang, how did I miss those shaders??? I usually grab everything toon/shadery ASAP.... it must have slipped my notice when I was so busy working. :( Will need to wait for a sale, could barely get the Sakura base for now. Wishlisted and wanted! :) thanks for link!

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    ThatGuy said:

I like Sakura 8.  I think she is the perfect Anime character, certainly looks better than Star, IMOP, and snatched up the Pro Bundle as well as a couple of add-ons.

I guess this could mean that there will probably be no Aiko 8 coming out?  I sure hope not.  I am still hopeful that they have not retired Aiko.

Aiko hasn't been "anime" for a few generations. Since Hitomi came out really. That was when they shifted Aiko to being more like a japanese RPG character (ie modern final fantasy) than an actual "anime" looking gal. Aiko has her place, but she shifted a long time ago. I expect she will be back this generation and will likely fit into her own universe as always.

in the past few years (since hitomi) Daz has experimented with anime-like figures. So I think Sakura is just a continuation of that, and in no way negatively impacts Aiko. 

Also, remember that Gen 7 gave us both Aiko AND Keiko because the two were so distinct.

• Oh no, I noticed that the Keiko bundle is the Mega Manga bundle. I wrangled some money to together and slapped the purchase button!  Oh no, this month has been to many good deals! LOL!

Crescent said:

Hopefully they do come out with the male counterpart, but worst case scenario you can use unhide the G8 male clone and use that as a morph to make a male figure.  The fingers need joint center tweaking and I'd probably use a few morphs to make the face a little more masculine, but out of the box the results are pretty decent.

This is why I wish someone like Singular Blues would figure-out how to easily transfer morphs between Genesis 8 Female & Male like a GenX2 update would have been able to do, because even with G8M out earlier than its predecessors, this months' two figures still show that not every female is necessarily getting a new partner...

Well, unless Charlotte and Sakura's partners get the same treatment as Lucian and Dante did, that being coming-out a month later than female partners, respectively. Still, not holding my breath...

edited December 2017

Oh no, I noticed that the Keiko bundle is the Mega Manga bundle. I wrangled some money to together and slapped the purchase button!  Oh no, this month has been to many good deals! LOL!

Of course! Sakura IS this Generation's Keiko, afterall. :) if anything, I find it interesting to see Callie in there in the deal as well. I thought she would be part of a Girl 8 release. :)

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2017
    freni-kyn said:

I found that about 50% Sakura is max you can go without totally deforming the default eyeballs. Also here is a quick render.  is 50% sakura head  and 50% other shape while using native eyeballs.

would want to do some corrective measures to the eyes, but since just a test and i have stuff to do i didn't here.

Lated EDIT: figured it was worth mentioning I don't use iray and use octane render. so this isn't a representation of the iray presets in any way, shape or form. for better  or for worse. And this isn't the auto generated settings for octane, i heavily (but very quickly) adjusted the settings for the purposes of my test. 

Ok... you sold me.  Guess I'm going to have to buy this now.  Just curious... Why do you use Octane render? 

Octane render gives me a lot of control that I still find lacking in iray for DS. Overall its more empowering, faster and gives you more control. Not to derail but since you asked:

• Its faster than iray both rendering and while working a scene (in realtime i can move the HDR, lights etc around and see it interactively udpate in the prevew)
    • it has a lot more features and controls to adjust speed, quality, features etc
    • I have more visibility into memory management, you can manually reduce texture size per texture, or use memory not inside the GPU while still using the GPU for rendering( less of an issue for me now that i have 8gb, but still a thing),
    • the material editor makes so much more sense than the daz surfaces tool
    • it works outside of daz studio
    • autosave render feature (like i set for saving every 15 mins if its a long render)
    • better camera features (i can lock the octane render windows camera, while using another to edit poses for example)
    • a crap ton of render options (render by material group, ambient occusion or about 20 other options)
    • a lot of options to adjust general performance
    • node based materials is amazing compared to daz solution
    • i can render 360 visualizations (daz camera can't do this so you do export to octane standalone, however it preserves your materials and lighting perfectly. this is the ONLY thing I export to Octane standalone. I use Daz Octane Plugin 99% of the time.)
    ThatGuy said:

Also, remember that Gen 7 gave us both Aiko AND Keiko because the two were so distinct.

exactly!

Oh no, I noticed that the Keiko bundle is the Mega Manga bundle. I wrangled some money to together and slapped the purchase button!  Oh no, this month has been to many good deals! LOL!

thats how i feel. now i need to use all this stuff.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,270

One more render from me for a while (sorry for flooding the thread with them, I just love this character! :D).

Now it's time for me to get back to work. I hope to see others posting lots of renders of her though! Please keep 'em coming! This is such a great character and I want to see what all you guys do with her. :)

• Crescent said:

Hopefully they do come out with the male counterpart, but worst case scenario you can use unhide the G8 male clone and use that as a morph to make a male figure.  The fingers need joint center tweaking and I'd probably use a few morphs to make the face a little more masculine, but out of the box the results are pretty decent.

This is why I wish someone like Singular Blues would figure-out how to easily transfer morphs between Genesis 8 Female & Male like a GenX2 update would have been able to do, because even with G8M out earlier than its predecessors, this months' two figures still show that not every female is necessarily getting a new partner...

Well, unless Charlotte and Sakura's partners get the same treatment as Lucian and Dante did, that being coming-out a month later than female partners, respectively. Still, not holding my breath...

I have every G8 flagship female but Josie converted to male. It's not actually hard and a couple of them are surprisingly gorgeous.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 2017

Video click

in Iclone 6 and a male clone with the rigging adjusted

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    ThatGuy said:

I like Sakura 8.  I think she is the perfect Anime character, certainly looks better than Star, IMOP, and snatched up the Pro Bundle as well as a couple of add-ons.

I guess this could mean that there will probably be no Aiko 8 coming out?  I sure hope not.  I am still hopeful that they have not retired Aiko.

Aiko hasn't been "anime" for a few generations. Since Hitomi came out really. That was when they shifted Aiko to being more like a japanese RPG character (ie modern final fantasy) than an actual "anime" looking gal. Aiko has her place, but she shifted a long time ago. I expect she will be back this generation and will likely fit into her own universe as always.

in the past few years (since hitomi) Daz has experimented with anime-like figures. So I think Sakura is just a continuation of that, and in no way negatively impacts Aiko. 

Keiko was gen 6. We got Star in 7 (depending on whether you want to count her as a main figure.)

However we haven't had a matching male for any of them since Hiro 5, who matched Hitomi even though he'd previously been with Aiko. I bet the confusion over that was what murdered his sales..

In gen 7 we did get Kenji 7, but he matched Aiko 7, and as mentioned above Aiko hasn't been anime since generation 4, she's more game character now (and weirdly old in 7.)

edited December 2017
    lx said:
    ThatGuy said:

(and weirdly old in 7.)

especially when paired with her "partner"! That was a great look though for a certain community! (usually the age card is played the other way) haha good times. I wish I had the time to find some renders people made to show off how different they looked age-wise.

I still say she mixed well at 10-30% with other heads to provide a more idealized look. but yeah A7 was not A3 or A4 in any regard. I wish the folks that cried so had about A4 years ago could have seen the future. A4 was a super gem compared to her later iterations. (I'm biased Hitomi fan, for record. I even moved her to G8 prior to Sakura launch. She's still a cute hippy gal to stylize your renders for those who need a bit of that)

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    Pet said:
    scorpio said:
    Pet said:
    scorpio said:

Here's Dolly mixed with sakura 50% each and 100 % Josie mixed with 50% Sakura, both are done from the base mosel G8F, so don't use Sakura's eyes the G8F eyes will need rescaling and positioning.

How ccan I not use Sakura eyes, I have no idea how to blend them out.

Your render looks lovely.

Pet

I tend to start with base G8F and dial in this way I don't have to deal with Sakura's eyes.

Or as agent unawares suggusts just delete them.

Hmm, when I delete those eyes than I have empty eye sockets with no eyes. 

Thank you ro the quick reply.

Pet

Like I said, you have to make them visible in the Surfaces tab.

Thank you so much for your help.

Pet

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    lx said:
    ThatGuy said:

(and weirdly old in 7.)

especially when paired with her "partner"! That was a great look though for a certain community! (usually the age card is played the other way) haha good times. I wish I had the time to find some renders people made to show off how different they looked age-wise.

I still say she mixed well at 10-30% with other heads to provide a more idealized look. but yeah A7 was not A3 or A4 in any regard. I wish the folks that cried so had about A4 years ago could have seen the future. A4 was a super gem compared to her later iterations. (I'm biased Hitomi fan, for record. I even moved her to G8 prior to Sakura launch. She's still a cute hippy gal to stylize your renders for those who need a bit of that)

I liked Aiko 7, and her texture was fantastic, but yeah it was bizarre how old she looked. I liked Hitomi a lot too, and I wish she'd been marketted better alongside Hiro rather than not even making it to being an official figure. I'm a huge fan of Cookie, too, but the ancient technology puts me off using her much. My favourite until now was Haiku (who was basically just an adjusted head for Keiko) so we'll have to see if Sakura replaces her for my default anime girl.

In the end I bought the base figure (despite there being no offer for her if you already owned the previous figures) the two Silver characters, and the Precious Tiger. The Pro Bundle was a better deal, but I didn't really need most of the stuff in it. Looking forward to trying them out!

edited December 2017
    lx said:
    lx said:
    ThatGuy said:

(and weirdly old in 7.)

Looking forward to trying them out!

Good luck!

. so far I'm having fun but I see limitations but I think once the spherical eye addon comes out I won't have any issues.

She's got some good morphs that can be used in non-sakura renders IMO. which reminds me of Hitomi. Hitomi had eye morphs in particular that were useful even when u didn't use hitomi. Sakura has body morphs, face morphs that seem to also work well for other shapes. Leg, torso etc morphs that really make the character pronounced. Its a feature other "flagship" figures don't have.

Compared to Hitomi and Sakura, most "figures" daz has released in genesis+ era are just shapes that aren't really needed. You can achive what you need with other dials often enough. And there isn't much variety of shapes in the set. However, with Sakura, they took care to address issues and styles people may want to have. She's really a  gem.

I wish she had more expressions in the pro pack, but I expect some may come later. Hopefully, unlike Aiko 7, they won't be encrypted content. I didn't buy the 2 A7 expressions until they were no longer encrypted, which was just a few months ago... shame cause they would have gotten much more use otherwise.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,952
    edited December 2017

She does look good surprised about no G3/7 character added to the freebie part, gather their wasn't one..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
    edited December 2017
    ghosty12 said:

She does look good surprised about no G3/7 character added to the freebie part, gather their wasn't one..

Ever since genesis they have not had true "figures", just shapes. So they have experimented more with releases and often many don't make it another generation. They said on the forum long ago that they wouldn't necessarily have the same "figure" in every generation. As you can see they more easily add "figures" and dump them each generation as needed. Only Vicky and Michael seem immune to purgatory. 

However, Vicky and Mike are also the most malleable, non-specific "figures" they release. They effectively are the first female and male figures of each generation. The only character that has remained unchanged since inception is really "The Girl" for better or worse. 

Long and short, Sakura bundles with two historic "figures" that may not get true sequels, but thats OK. She's her own thing that is awesome. (And I have some bias since I never cared for Keiko or Callie, and did not buy them. But am a big fan of Hitomi and legacy Aiko3/4).

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262
    edited December 2017

Love this anime-manga figure heart

d011a.jpg
    650 x 813 - 376K
    Post edited by nohiznguyen on
    edited December 2017

Love this anime-manga figure heart

Me too! :D 

Intriguing render - high school girl with a gun. Hmmm I hope nothing bad is about to happen. lol :P (In my mind she's in a story in which she's an assassin - Joss Whedon Dollhouse style lol).

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited December 2017

Well, with my loyalty discount the pro bundle was too hard to pass on. I made a render with items from it. However, the skin is not hers. Guess who?

Post edited by outrider42 on

Well, with my loyalty discount the pro bundle was too hard to pass on. I made a render with items from it. However, the skin is not hers. Guess who?

Awww So Cute! :)

• Well, with my loyalty discount the pro bundle was too hard to pass on. I made a render with items from it. However, the skin is not hers. Guess who?

Awesome image, I agree, with the discount and the the free bundles, it's another win for 2017!  My runtime is fat with awesomeness! :)

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

I had a feeling that using Lady LittleFox's eye trick might help some renders. In some cases, Sakura's eyes are either too dark or the real reflection from Iray does not go well with it. So what I did is turn off all reflection values, hide the lens, and turn the eyeball itself emissive. I used the same eye texture for the emission profile, and set the color to a light gray (too white and it can wash out the color.) I cranked the luminosity to around 11k for this render. This makes the eye a bit brighter, but not so bright it stands out like a light bulb is in her head. The luminosity value needed will depend on the scene lighting.

Again, I'm using a skin not from Sakura's bundle. I think it is perfect for Sakura.

I had a feeling that using Lady LittleFox's eye trick might help some renders. In some cases, Sakura's eyes are either too dark or the real reflection from Iray does not go well with it. So what I did is turn off all reflection values, hide the lens, and turn the eyeball itself emissive. I used the same eye texture for the emission profile, and set the color to a light gray (too white and it can wash out the color.) I cranked the luminosity to around 11k for this render. This makes the eye a bit brighter, but not so bright it stands out like a light bulb is in her head. The luminosity value needed will depend on the scene lighting.

Again, I'm using a skin not from Sakura's bundle. I think it is perfect for Sakura.

Oh that turned out great! Could you share her eye shader with us? Or a screen shot of the settings? :) I love what you did and the look it gives - but I had a little trouble following your explination of what you did. 

• I had a feeling that using Lady LittleFox's eye trick might help some renders. In some cases, Sakura's eyes are either too dark or the real reflection from Iray does not go well with it. So what I did is turn off all reflection values, hide the lens, and turn the eyeball itself emissive. I used the same eye texture for the emission profile, and set the color to a light gray (too white and it can wash out the color.) I cranked the luminosity to around 11k for this render. This makes the eye a bit brighter, but not so bright it stands out like a light bulb is in her head. The luminosity value needed will depend on the scene lighting.

Clever.

• ChadCryptoChadCrypto Posts: 596
    edited December 2017

Wow, Sakura looking good in the Strike Back outfit!  fits her awesome. :)

Sakura100R.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 346K
    Post edited by ChadCrypto on
    edited December 2017
    lx said:
    ThatGuy said:

Keiko was gen 6.

Ack! Right! Gen 6, Gen 6 had both Aiko and Keiko. Geez, I'm loosing it... X_x

edited December 2017
    Crescent said:

I have every G8 flagship female but Josie converted to male. It's not actually hard and a couple of them are surprisingly gorgeous.

But did you convert them via a conventient scirpt like GenX or Singular Blues' or did you do it all yourself with Transfer Utility and all the OBJ & ERC work involved with it?

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 2017
    Crescent said:

But did you convert them via a conventient scirpt like GenX or Singular Blues' or did you do it all yourself with Transfer Utility and all the OBJ & ERC work involved with it?

Transfer Utility. What OBJ and ERC work? There wasn't any.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687
    edited December 2017

What a beautiful figure.  Anime is not a genre that I generally work with, but Sakura looks so good that I had to have a go.

Hunter.jpg
    1267 x 713 - 770K
    Post edited by Dim Reaper on