Easy Environments by Flipmode - great stuff

Comments

• FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 880
    edited December 1969

To be honest, right now I have no plans going that way. Seems a bit too similar to the Outback (from a creation point of view).

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Flipmode said:
    To be honest, right now I have no plans going that way. Seems a bit too similar to the Outback (from a creation point of view).

Well, the trees, grass, and skies seem very different to me ... lol.

My latest EE scene ... Once in a Lifetime ... using EE Greenlands http://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-greenlands

Once_in_a_Lietime_-_web_and_device_friendly.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 421K
    edited December 1969

Such a friendly place turned into a graveyard ;)
    Lovely image nonetheless, thanks for posting!

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622
    edited March 2014

Flipmode said:
    Such a friendly place turned into a graveyard ;)
    Lovely image nonetheless, thanks for posting!

But graveyards can be very friendly places! They contain the people who someone cared enough about to bury and eulogize. In a modern cemetery most of them are someone's grandparents, or soldiers sent home from war to rest in their own land. I think they're very peaceful and orderly.

Now the old ones - the ones that hold slaves, lynching victims, and so many children, and people who died from illnesses that are curable now - those are sad places. But they're still not scary. There's nothing there that can do harm. (I still love gothy renders to the contrary, mind you. ;) )

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

But graveyards can be very friendly places!

I haven`t been to a graveyard in ages, but if they look like Aidana`s version they certainly can be friendly places ;)

edited March 2014

Thanks, guys :D

Ironically, the book is a romance. Sort of a bitter-sweet story. I thought a not-so-romancy look was in order :D

I just love the diversity of your sets , FM :D

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 1969

Flipmode said:

But graveyards can be very friendly places!

I haven`t been to a graveyard in ages, but if they look like Aidana`s version they certainly can be friendly places ;)

There's a story out there, based on late Victorian practices. Victorian Cemetaries were an evolutionary step up from the old traditional churchyard. Much jockying for status by the families of the deceased -- ergo some of the amazing mortuary architecture and sculpture on display.

Evidently rather a lot of families decided to maximise their investment by visiting the cemetary on sundays, double-checking the maintenence, leaving flowers, chatting with some of the other families engaged on the same business.

In any case, the story is that Bram Stoker got a bit of the idea for Dracula after a Sunday visit through one of the large private London cemetaries (probably Highgate) and seeing a prosperous upper middle class family having a picnic tea in their family tomb.

• MardookMardook Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

I just wanted to offer my thanks and appreciation to Flipmode. I love the products, they are frequently utilized in my scenes. :)

edited December 1969

mardook said:
    I just wanted to offer my thanks and appreciation to Flipmode. I love the products, they are frequently utilized in my scenes. :)

What? No examples? ;D

• MardookMardook Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Will post some later, I am using two computers, one is internet comp and the other is computer for 3d rendering and such. :D

edited December 1969

Hi mardook, thanks for your kind feedback! If you have some nice renders just bring them. :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited March 2014

Flipmode said:

Then I will make you think again. We need a forest path, yes we really do. A forest path with a think forest skybox, I've so needed it for a long time now. With trees that bend over the path like a ceiling....

Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Flipmode said:

Then I will make you think again. We need a forest path, yes we really do. A forest path with a think forest skybox, I've so needed it for a long time now. With trees that bend over the path like a ceiling....

I second that. I can't count how many times I need a tree/forest filled backdrop for 'real' trees in the 'working' area. And path options would be cool, like we have for the winter set. Wagon tracks, tire tracks, footsteps, hoofsteps, etc.

Even it it's an add-on to an existing set, that would add diversity to the ones we have. I don't have ANYTHING that beats your environments, especially for ground details (gravel, grass, and such). Maybe some fallen leaves and grass/weeds/twigs in a forest set? With add-ons for various seasons.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Flipmode said:

I second that. I can't count how many times I need a tree/forest filled backdrop for 'real' trees in the 'working' area. And path options would be cool, like we have for the winter set. Wagon tracks, tire tracks, footsteps, hoofsteps, etc.

Even it it's an add-on to an existing set, that would add diversity to the ones we have. I don't have ANYTHING that beats your environments, especially for ground details (gravel, grass, and such). Maybe some fallen leaves and grass/weeds/twigs in a forest set? With add-ons for various seasons.

More people jump in here. Tell FM you need this, This is really lacking, specially forest and path (not paved road or asphalt)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Totte said:
    Flipmode said:

More people jump in here. Tell FM you need this, This is really lacking, specially forest and path (not paved road or asphalt)

I'll join in, I could really use this.

edited March 2014

Oh, where to start. I am having a few days off right now, but of course I keep thinking about what to do next, or more specific, in which order.
    For each set I finish 3 new ideas add, the damn list grows longer and longer. ;)

Anyway, some thoughts on my mind right now...
    One thing I`d like to try is a flexible night set, not built around a specific environment. But with options to adjust stuff like star density, moon, sky coloring etc..
    I have ideas how that could work, but don`t know if it will really work out yet. I think it would not be exactly what Aidana asked for, but it`s the direction.

Forest / forest skybox.
    Actually this poped back into my mind recently seeing a scenery on "Vikings" which I really liked, a wide but flat stream in the woods, with a wooden ceiling like Totte mentioned it.

My skyboxes so far are all focussed on distant views, a wood covering the scene would be quite the opposite, frankly I don`t even know if it would work. Aside from other reasons, the easy anvironments have terrain "reaching into" the skybox, but the skybox we envision here (I think) would have to get very close to the terrain.
    Uhm, cut short ... I don`t think it will give good results, but I`ll give it a try as soon as I`ve built suitable trees for another set.

Back to the dense wood scene, I have some ideas how this could be done with geometry while still keeping rendertimes in check. It wouldn`t be an easy environment, but hopefully a "fast enough"-rendering option for forest scenes. Just like the night-set this will require some experimenting on my end before I really know how well it would work. I just don`t want to dump a lot of trees in a scene and let you guys die of age while rendering it.

So, that`s all stuff on my mind, but please don`t take it for final "coming soon" plans. There`s a lot of other stuff I want to do as well, and I don`t have it in any particular order yet.

Post edited by Flipmode on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

SOLD!! All of the Above please. Anytime you get it done is Okay with me...

I personally would enjoy some SkyBox expansion sets for the sets you have already done as well. The Day sets need Nights and so on...

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    have created a landscape with lots of terrain-items from different vendors and in parts reworked textures. the road is from Jack Tomalin and the rocks are from FirstBastion, bushes and trees by Lisa. That may can give you an inspiration for another terrain :) here it is:

cosmo71
    May I ask which one of Jack Tomalin's products has the road in it?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ... The Day sets need Nights and so on...

IF the night set will work the way I hope it does it should be useable with most or all easy environments.
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Flipmode said:
    Jaderail said:
    ... The Day sets need Nights and so on...

IF the night set will work the way I hope it does it should be useable with most or all easy environments.FANTAB!! So want now...
    edited December 1969

My first try to make a forest path texture set for the FM Outback.

forback.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 99K
    edited March 2014

Jaderail said:
    SOLD!! All of the Above please. Anytime you get it done is Okay with me...

I personally would enjoy some SkyBox expansion sets for the sets you have already done as well. The Day sets need Nights and so on...

I second this, too. sunrise, sunset lights and boxes or existing sets would be super cool ...

And as far as the the woods, not all forest are close to the scene ... like this:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=forest+glade&go;=&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=forest+glade&sc=8-11&sp=-1&sk;=#view=detail&id=385347DF62729163AFF696E50104E7E8B99E799B&selectedIndex=47

or http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607996974953005130&w=216&h=169&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

Where some trees are 'real', but the distance is distant, if that makes any sense. It would add tree and depth at the same time.

more:

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608013592180166593&w=244&h=185&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607999182571569416&w=281&h=188&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608039701289045909&w=308&h=188&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608028465654009083&w=309&h=175&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608048729304793398&w=308&h=188&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

or maybe even a lake, with trees in the distance ... just ideas

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Flipmode said:
    IF the night set will work the way I hope it does it should be useable with most or all easy environments.
    FANTAB!! So want now...
    Me three — so far I've been able to use at least part of an Easy Environment set in very nearly any outdoor scene I've worked on recently. A good flexible add-on night set would just add a cherry on top as far as I'm concerned. :cheese:
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Your ghost will walk, you lover of trees,

(If our loves remain)

In an English lane

I'd love to be able to do that, but it's not really an Easy Environment.

-- Morgan

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 1969

Now I find myself thinking of Howie Farkes's Harpwood County series. Damn, I wish those were for Studio.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

JOdel said:
    Now I find myself thinking of Howie Farkes's Harpwood County series. Damn, I wish those were for Studio.
    Someday I will be rich, and I will afford myself a $8,800 system and will spend weeks just rendering different angles on Howie Farkes' scenes, and at the same time Carrara won't crash all the time when trying to handle Genesis content, and my characters will be able to romp through the grass and the trees... I expect I'll be able to afford said system of my dreams around the same time as Carrara stops crashing.

Anyhow, I'd love to see Flipmode take on the challenge of creating a wooded area in line with the other Easy Environments stuff, but I imagine there's other things they're working on right now.

-- Morgan

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

I certainly would welcome a new forest environment. There are - to my knowledge - a few really good ones already, Stonemason's Enchanted Forest and Andrey Pestryakov's Forest, but they both render sooo very slowly that using them always means 10+ hours of rendering :/

An alternative to those would be very welcome :D

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited March 2014

DT's Skies Of Terra and/or Ecomantics are good for quick forest backgrounds
    http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-terra-volume-one
    http://www.daz3d.com/ecomantics-efficient-ecosystems

Obviously, you're either setting your scene in a sward of grass surrounded by trees or finding tree models to match the backgrounds... not impossible in a skybox but they work best with a much bigger depth than close trees, so it would be a lot of hard work to try and even then it might not work too well.

Post edited by Jabba on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Here's a render I did with me using Top Of The World as part of a night scene.

This video livestream shows you how I set up the skybox for night - the only thing not mentioned in the video is that I added 128 grey to the rock diffuse to mute it down a bit... http://youtu.be/ol4MjDZUlWs

Daytime_Skybox_At_Night_Tutorial.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 788K
    edited December 1969

@ Totte
    Green Outback...looks surprisingly good already ;)

@ Cypherfox
    I am a "they" now? Not sure what that means, but we`ll think about it. =)

@ Jabba`s suggestions
    Am I off the hook with forests?
    Nah, the talk here made it kind of a challenge, sooner or later I`ll start to experiment with it.

@ Jabba
    Very cool & moody render!
    Watched a bit of the video too, well done, and a clever trick. First I thought what the hell is he doing, he takes away the skybox from the skybox, but apparently the AoA ambient light "reapirs" the damage. The result is really good.
    And the good Studio workspace style, I felt right at home. :)