Easy Environments by Flipmode - great stuff

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

No worries. The first time I used these crop pants/leggins, I thought it was poke-through also ... lol. Then I zoomed in and realized they had a little split at the back, the same on each side, like many skirts have a split up the back as part of the style.

I'd much rather someone point out something I missed then let a mistake get published ... lol

• FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 880
    edited December 1969

I don't use genesis, so I can't speak from experience, but from what I understand, people do use them on genesis and in 4.6.

Thx for the info ... inspired me to take another look. It kinda worked, but not really well, quickly lost my nerve ;)

edited January 2014

Lol ... keep at it. I'll send you a PM so we don't take over ur easy envr. thread :D

Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited December 1969

I meant to ask ... what's in the works? So I can save-up :D

edited January 2014

Better spend ;)
    Right now I am mostly lethargic ... I have three or four half finished products, an endless list of stuff I want to do ( incl. some more easy environments), and every day I find myself unable to decide what to do first, so I opt to do ...nothing lol. So, I don`t know what`s coming next either :/
    Gosh, got to pull myself out of this misery ;)

Post edited by Flipmode on
    edited December 1969

I found myself in the same predicament not so long ago. So many book cover contracts I didn't know where to start. I finally listed them in order of contract date. So when I find myself at a pause, not knowing where to go next, I just open the next file and start piddling ... lol. Next thing you know, another draft is of to the author for feedback :D

Kind of sink or swim approach.

Besides ... I stay booked with clients and need more settings, meaning I have money that needs a spending. It may as well go to you :D Right?

If you need any inspiration or motivation, you can always share a half/finish product with me for feedback or ideas? Free artistic renders for product promotion in exchange. ;D

edited December 1969

Besides ... I stay booked with clients and need more settings, meaning I have money that needs a spending. It may as well go to you :D Right?

Right!
    Almost sounds like a micro circle of life ;)

Good to know I am not alone with my little downtimes.
    For me, usually, when I start thinking the spark will never come back I suddenly snap out of it and start working like mad.

edited December 1969

Exactly. So get to work get me something to spend my money on besides cupcakes and substandard settings ... lol.

edited February 2014

My latest Easy Environment scene ... Some are surprised it's a Daz image. That credit goes to FM. Thanks again for your amazing environments :D Give me more :DD

This one features the skybox and lighting from The Rock (http://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-the-rock).

Kraken_Station_-_signed_for_web_-_smaller.jpg
    2000 x 1572 - 409K
    Post edited by WillowRaven on
    edited December 1969

Holy####, that`s spectacular :)
    Did you render the models within the skybox, or is everything put together in Photoshop?
    -
    More is coming, no worries ;)

edited December 1969

Rendered within the skybox :D

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

That is rather corking! :)

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,254
    edited February 2014

I love the Easy Environments! That's why I have two questions (or suggestions): 1. Is there any chance for a jungle set? 2. Different backgrounds (morning/evening/night and sunshine/clouds) for every set would be GREAT! Is that possible?

Post edited by caravelle on
  • GrovelightGrovelight Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

Flipmode your skyboxes are amazing and an integral part of my renders. My favourite has to be the night-time one from speed renders with the moon as it suits a lot of my dark art. Would love to see a northern lights style skybox though:)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622
    edited December 1969

Sounds like we'd buy a pack of just skyboxes, if you're ever low on ideas (I know I never am, so you probably aren't, but still). I know I would.

edited December 1969

I'd be first in line, lol.

edited February 2014

Rendered within the skybox :D
    Even more impressive then, clever setup!

polka dot said:
    1. Is there any chance for a jungle set? 2. Different backgrounds (morning/evening/night and sunshine/clouds) for every set would be GREAT! Is that possible?

No jungle planned yet, but the next one at least has some palm trees, and comes with a sunset skybox useable on another set. ;)
    Different skyboxes per set would be possible of course (e.g. top of the world has two), but creating those things is very time consuming, so I`d have to adjust the pricing. Which tbh. I don`t want to, I find the relatively low price point charming. =)

...My favourite has to be the night-time one from speed renders with the moon as it suits a lot of my dark art. Would love to see a northern lights style skybox though:)
    Thanks! You are one of the few who bought that set then. ;) I like that skybox too. Northern lights > Cool idea, no clue how to do that (yet).

@ SickleYield ...No, never low on ideas, often low on energy though ;)

/// Pure skybox sets > Donno, don`t you guys already have like a hundred of them in your runtimes?
    I think there are still quite a few environment sets to come, so within time a lot of skybox ground should be covered.

edited December 1969

Rather than upping the price per set, you could sell added skyboxes as expansion packs, sold separately. I'd definitely be interested in alternate boxes for the sets I already have (I have all of them). :D

Myself, I'm in love with the skyboxes, over the domes, for a number of reasons. The main one is how easy it is to edit. As you've seen before (and if you don't mind my showing them again) it's relatively easy to alter the relevant panel to suit one's specific need.

For the Like Father Like Son cover, I added moons and my own water plane to the EE Greenlands skybox and lights (at the time, you didn't have a water set and even told me one wasn't in the works). http://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-greenlands I was absolutely giddy when you came out with The Rock.

For Tainted, all I did was tweak the colors and imply a sunrise, to create my scene another planet, in Photoshop from the EE Outback set. http://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-outback

I just can't say enough about FM's Easy Environments. People who are not aware of these sets are surprised I work in Daz because they have a sense of expanse and distance.

Even when it can barely be seen, I use them. For the Fractured cover, because it's a prequel to Tainted, I used the same altered skybox as the backdrop for my forest. I think it complimented it well, and so did my client :D

Simply put, FM's Easy Environments make me look good... FM Easy Environments make me money, lol. If that's not a product endorsement, I don't know what is. ;D

I'll stop babbling now ... lol. But if you ever need some artistic renders to promote your sets, FM, give me a shout ;D

Fractured---front-cover----for-web.jpg
    1155 x 1805 - 424K
    front_cover_shot_-_low_rez.jpg
    787 x 1237 - 408K
    Like-father,-Like-Son---final-front--for-web.jpg
    834 x 1250 - 221K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,070
    edited December 1969

Flipmode said:

...My favourite has to be the night-time one from speed renders with the moon as it suits a lot of my dark art. Would love to see a northern lights style skybox though:)

Thanks! You are one of the few who bought that set then. ;) I like that skybox too. Northern lights > Cool idea, no clue how to do that (yet).

I loved the look of the Speed Render Stages but I'm afraid I'm one of the (possibly many) who looked, lusted after but didn't hit the "buy" button. Partly this was because of timing - I'd just spent much more than I should in the almost back-to-back "Fantasy", "Hot Men" then "Deck Out Your Genesis" sales earlier in January and this coming on top of the Christmas bills. Partly it was a price thing: I have almost all your Easy Environments, which I agree are a really good price, but the Speed Render set is quite a bit more so didn't just "leap into the cart". I realise that is because it contains quite a bit more and I still plan to pick it up as soon as my funds recover (just a pity I had to miss out on the Promo price) as I really love the look of the skyboxes in there.
    edited December 1969

... at the time, you didn't have a water set and even told me one wasn't in the work. I was absolutely giddy when you came out with The Rock. ...

That one really made me laugh. ;) I can`t remember saying that.
    But I know that after every set involving water I say I won`t ever do it again.

I'll stop babbling now ... lol.

Don`t stop for me lol

I am glad you are happy with the sets and can use them to make your money. It`s nice to see how you work them into cover art and knowing they keep spreading out that way. =)

Also, you more or less killed my thoughts about probably changing to sky-spheres (not domes, that wouldn`t cut it).
    I think the advantages/disadvantages are pretty balanced, but the ease of painting on a skybox is a good point (did it myself for the moon skybox).

edited February 2014

MelanieL said:

I loved the look of the Speed Render Stages but I'm afraid I'm one of the (possibly many) who looked, lusted after but didn't hit the "buy" button. ...

Thanks for the feedback on that, since I am still trying to figure out what went wrong there I honestly appreciate it.
    I wasn`t really aware it might have been lost between special sales a bit.
    So far my working theory is that maybe I failed to display the amount of content (not everyone takes the time to browse all images) and thus the pricing looked too steep. I am actually about to do a new front image. ;)

No worries about missing the intro sale, I am sure it will be on one sale or the other eventually.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,070
    edited December 1969

Flipmode said:
    MelanieL said:

I loved the look of the Speed Render Stages but I'm afraid I'm one of the (possibly many) who looked, lusted after but didn't hit the "buy" button. ...

Thanks for the feedback on that, since I am still trying to figure out what went wrong there I honestly appreciate it.
    So far my working theory is that maybe I failed to display the amount of content (not everyone takes the time to browse all images) and thus the pricing looked too steep. I am actually about to do a new front image. ;)

No worries about missing the intro sale, I am sure it will be on one sale or the other eventually.

I hope so! :)
    Trouble is, I think a few of us are suffering from "sale fatigue" at the moment - normally it's nice and quiet between the 24-Days of Christmas and March Madness and we have the chance to sit back a bit, but this year has been crazy all the way.
    Please keep up the great work though: I love your stuff :-)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Flipmode said:
    MelanieL said:

I'm one of your customers that did buy the Speed Render Stages (although I haven't used it yet).
    I have most of your Easy Environments, and the rest are wishlisted. They are amazing; here's one of my favorites in action. :)

Abandoned.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 363K
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Flipmode said:
    MelanieL said:

I'm one of your customers that did buy the Speed Render Stages (although I haven't used it yet).
    I have most of your Easy Environments, and the rest are wishlisted. They are amazing; here's one of my favorites in action. :)

I love that scene, tjohn :D

edited December 1969

Doh, both speed render stages customers in the same thread!
    lol, ok, I am exaggerating it a bit. ;)

Lovely image indeed tjohn, thanks for posting it.

edited December 1969

Flipmode said:

That one really made me laugh. ;) I can`t remember saying that.
    But I know that after every set involving water I say I won`t ever do it again.
    Don`t stop for me lol
    I am glad you are happy with the sets and can use them to make your money. It`s nice to see how you work them into cover art and knowing they keep spreading out that way. =)

Also, you more or less killed my thoughts about probably changing to sky-spheres (not domes, that wouldn`t cut it).
    I think the advantages/disadvantages are pretty balanced, but the ease of painting on a skybox is a good point (did it myself for the moon skybox).

You may regret encouraging me ... lol.

And don't you dare move away from the boxes! lol Having a flat surface to edit and adapt is much, much simpler than working with a dome or sphere. If I tried to add a planet or moon to a dome, it would totally warp in daz.

Seriously, though, if you HAVE to make sphere's, fine, but please never drop the boxes. You are the only person I know who makes them ... lol. I also bought the SR Stages the day it hit the story. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

You know, if they are not selling well at that price, you could divvy the set up into mini-packs.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Flipmode said:
    MelanieL said:

I wasn`t really aware it might have been lost between special sales a bit.Out of curiosity, do you get statistics about how many wishlists your stuff ended up in?

I want to help, so this is my brain dump on what I remember about why I didn't get it at the time, along with some meta-thoughts about promos and products.

I wishlisted it also; I had just picked up Eternal Sands and The Rock a few days earlier and I read the Speed Render kit as something like a more comprehensive character 'base'. I want it, but I couldn't justify it right then.

I'm an impulse-buyer, but my impulse is driven by whether I tell myself a story about a product or not. I can tell stories to myself of what's happening in your Easy Environments forever; I love them, even if I don't use them all the time.

There are two kinds of stories, by the way. One is the story of 'what's happening in this world', and the other is envisioning myself using the product. The latter is as much a fable as the first, as I never get enough time to render everything I buy. :)

The stages, at least as displayed in the promos, constrain the story. While they'd be great for the Marooned Dazaholic challenge on dA right now, most of what my mind told me (and the product copy tells me!) is that it's best for creating 'character sheets', images and moods for a character that shows them off from various angles, in various poses, or various outfits. And that's awesome, but it's a more technical interest, a 'small' use, which takes a back seat. Intellectually I know there's other aspects of the product, and probably ones that I could use to tell a larger tale, but I can't convince myself of that with the promo pictures included. The price gave me a tiny pause, but I regularly pay more for things that make me feel like I can tell my own stories with them, so it's not a huge barrier.

That's also not to say I won't buy it. It's on my wishlist because I do want it; I just couldn't find the right story to tell myself about how I would use it at the time.

I know anecdotes are not data, but I hope that helps.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Cypherfox has a really good point, if I am reading it right. I am more likely to buy something that's more of a full environment, especially if I can use elements separately, in other environments. Maybe even more so.

My job is creating worlds and scenarios in those worlds. If I felt locked into a specific look, I wouldn't buy the product unless I needed it for a specific project.

And although price has some factor in what I buy, I'm more motivated by how often I can use a product and not have it be apparent that I am reusing a product. Make sense?

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Cypherfox has a really good point, if I am reading it right. I am more likely to buy something that's more of a full environment, especially if I can use elements separately, in other environments. Maybe even more so.
    Heh; yeah, that was a bit overly flowery of me, but you dug out the core point. I couched in how I make that decision. I tell myself stories about how I would use it, and if those stories are compelling and varied, then it's much more likely that I'll buy it. Which is technically the same as "more of a full environment, especially if I can use elements separately". The promo images chosen, and the product copy, directly influence my ability to tell those stories about products.

But my purple prose distilled, that's pretty much what I was saying, yes. :)

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Like I said Aidana, your point about skyboxes was quite convincing, I think the sphere thought is off for now. It`s been more of a technical interest of mine anyway.

Thanks Cyber & Aidana for the added feedback on SRS, it`s good insight for me.
    You are right thinking it`s for character renders. I thought it quite useful for that purpose, fast render times, a bunch of themed "sockets", but still with a feel of scale due to the skyboxes. I think many people focus on character-rendering and just want any random fancy background, I for one do that a lot.
    But...that`s a different audience than what the Easy Environments go for.
    Probably the story-tellers don`t need it, and the character-renderers either don`t know the skybox stuff yet, or are happy with a photo background.
    Another thing I may have misjudged is the math. I thought if $15 for terrain and 1 skybox works, $26 would be a good offer for 3 skyboxes and 5 detailed sockets.
    On my end, the skyboxes are easily as much work as the geometry.

Btw., I happened to discuss splitting it up into small, cheap chunks (as mentioned by Aidana) with a mate a few days ago, but decided it`s not worth it, I`d rather do something new (already did, actually).

Anyway...I much appreciate the input from you guys, but I hope you didn`t get the impression I`d be actively depressed about the topic, it`s merely curiosity. ;)
    I just ditched SRS Part2 for now, and since did two new sets instead (coming soon I hope).