Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    Nath said:

That looks great!

smiley

You never know what you are going to get with something like this.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    barbult said:
    Nath said:

That looks great!

smiley

You never know what you are going to get with something like this.

True, but experimenting and finding cool stuff can be half (or more) of the fun in 3D.

At some level I enjoy my beginner's fumblings in Blender more than out of the box rendering.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    RGcincy said:

Countdown...98...99...100

Just to be pedantic, that's more a countup ... cheeky

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Lol so soon part 10 turns into part 11. You doing a wonderful thing here Novica! *happy smile and warm hugs* 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@carolao  *Hugs back!*  Appreciate the thought, it's the wonderful forum members who keep it going.  I checked a couple weeks ago and can't remember the ten threads' total, I think we crossed the 600,000 posts/views mark but I'll have to go retally in the next week or so. The past few years, it has averaged 7,000 (up to11,000) new views on the old threads (so in this case, 1-9) while the new one is open, (approximately 4-6 months.)  So it's nice to know the contributors' showcase renders, tips, and tutorials are still being referenced. What may be an older product to us is new for people who are just now finding and starting with Daz, so all these renders and discussions help them along. Couldn't do this without all of you!   heart

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,455

Thank you for such a helpful and awesome thread! I can't even recount everything I have learned and all the kind support I've gotten from your thread. Thank you!

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666

Thank you for such a helpful and awesome thread! I can't even recount everything I have learned and all the kind support I've gotten from your thread. Thank you!

+1

• EtaminEtamin Posts: 126

@Novica The first thing I do when I look at a product for possible purchase is check ATI's incredibly helpful 'Forum References' section  to see if there are any 'Novica & Forum Members Tips...' links (and also ATI's 'Gallery Entries'), so that archive of your threads is immensely helpful to me.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    barbult said:

The nails didn't explode. If fact, there is just one nail and a bunch of instances. The nails are twisted and ridged. It is kind of interesting. Woody has wavy hair now. It is rendering now, but won't be done until tomorrow, probably. I took a screenshot of his partially rendered head.

Woody got a permanent!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Woody has... Mushrooms? Better be careful there that is not good if you are made of wood!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Woody has... Mushrooms? Better be careful there that is not good if you are made of wood!

He must be a real fun guy ... cheeky

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Tha'ts awesome Barbult

Woody is a fun guy with his new permanent! I hope those "mushrooms" don't make him decay away. I'd have to render him in Rural Chateau Fallen instead of Rural Chateau. Thanks for the fun comments. laugh

edited May 2018

FWSA Amara HD for Mika 8         Shaved Side Hair (Gen3 and 8 Females)         dForce Dewdrop Outfit (Gen8F) 

The lip changes-  In Surfaces change the translucency color to 233  222  213 and up the base bump from 1 to 2. Increase reflectivity to .60

This hair had a big section of poke through on the skull in back. Doesn't fit well out of the box. 

As usual, this is with the Mitchell, not Gaussian filter, lowered from 1.50 down to 1.35 (The lower the number, the crisper the details.) 

I did squint her eyes to make them appear more "normal" and not oversized

AmaraSideShavedHrDewdrop 2.jpg
    800 x 900 - 379K
    AmaraSideShavedHrDewdrop.png
    400 x 900 - 332K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited May 2018

I picked up that hair... I thought the ponytail style might work for a man but I found the hair is kind of ill fitting in the ponytail shape especially the front scalp area. I tried ktibashing it over a skullcap, but it sits too high on the head, and just looks odd.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited May 2018

Or you'll end up like me...

mushrooming.jpg
    1439 x 1082 - 285K
    Post edited by Taoz on

They would make a lovely couple!

edited May 2018

@taoz   How lovely!  Particularly the lighting which makes that strip of grass light up. Love the really, really closeup in the bottom right corner with the DOF. She's just adorable.

Ok, on with the Modern Kitchen saga. Emmalee sent it back to QA again, if you'll recall. If you have Modern Kitchen, you should see an update today in DIM. One person has already tested it and said it still has the floating counter. (and for the record, I believe her. I would just like to have more than one or two of us stating this over and over.)  Emmalee had sent me a picture showing it wasn't. I haven't tested it yet. For some reason, it is taking FOREVER to startup the studio or do a new scene (you know, clearing the scene, trying to open one) so I don't want to stop what I'm doing and even mess with it right now. If any of you get that update, please test? 

Post edited by Novica on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

I was dead set against Mika 8 because I have so much that is similar and the Handspan/Thorne morphs, but now I'm on the fence... With 3 other add-on items in the cart, it comes out to $3.60 per item plus the freebies, (which I don't need, I don't know how medieval stuff is related to Mika 8...) If there were other items or bundles I don't have as freebies, it would be a no-brainer, but why are they limiting the freebies to medieval??? I can't even find three I want, let alone ten.

Novica's render of Amara is great, but I still haven't seen any Mika 8 renders that have blown me away. Decisions, decisions...

I was dead set against Mika 8 because I have so much that is similar and the Handspan/Thorne morphs, but now I'm on the fence... With 3 other add-on items in the cart, it comes out to $3.60 per item plus the freebies, (which I don't need, I don't know how medieval stuff is related to Mika 8...) If there were other items or bundles I don't have as freebies, it would be a no-brainer, but why are they limiting the freebies to medieval??? I can't even find three I want, let alone ten.

Novica's render of Amara is great, but I still haven't seen any Mika 8 renders that have blown me away. Decisions, decisions...

If you don't rellay want it, or the additional content, save your money. You know there will be a new character in a couple weeks. Maybe you will be glad you held on to your money for that. I skipped Penny and was happy to have the money for Edie when she came along. I haven't missed Penny at all.

edited May 2018

Brisen for Mika 8         Bronwyn Hair (Gen3F / Gen8F)              Fantasy Adventure Outfit (Gen8F) 

The Bronwyn Hair didn't look even remotely the same as the promos so far as the rootline. Mine was very sticky looking. It also took an hour longer to render than another test hair,  Calista Tail Hair.)  I'll have to test it on other figures, see if I did something that I didn't catch. (I checked to ensure I didn't have the crown, temple, etc messed with.)  Adjusting the head shape didn't do anything so far as I could tell. Since it's an AprilYSH hair I'm inclined to believe it's something I probably did. Anyone have it who can check it out on other Mika 8 characters? 

Brisen is a cutie. This is out of the box, I personally would add some bump to the lips. 

The before and after- postworked roots. The hair doesn't come out of her cheek, I checked it. It's just the weird lighting. Part of the strand is disappearing as it curves back into the shadow.

Tip: when postworking roots that are vertical and sticky, make the additional hair strands cut across the vertical ones, and insert dark areas (like little triangles, blobs) which match the other shadows between strands. Make the areas irregular. (Zoom in on the hairline and  you'll see the crisscrossed strands and the blobby shadows.) Also leave the hairline uneven, and the density of the hair about the same as the rest of it. You don't want to overdo it and put too many, or you call attention to the rootline.

I always add the dark blotchy areas, then top that with the light strands, then add dark strands. Then touch it up.

Brisen FantAdvent Out BronwynHr.png
    736 x 900 - 1M
    Brisen FantAdvent Out BronwynHr2.png
    736 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    barbult said:

If you don't rellay want it, or the additional content, save your money. You know there will be a new character in a couple weeks. Maybe you will be glad you held on to your money for that. I skipped Penny and was happy to have the money for Edie when she came along. I haven't missed Penny at all.

Yeah, I skipped Penny because there was nothing in the bundle I could see ever using, but I could use the Mika 8 stuff, I just already have similar items. I've been going through the freebies, trying to figure out what I could use them for. I already have a bunch of DM stuff & medieval stuff I probably got as freebies and never used. But they do come with a lot of props I could kitbash and maybe actually do some medieval renders since I've never done any... And then it comes out to $2.16 per product. I may end up going for it. I found 9 free products that I could probably use with a little imagination, just trying to find that last one...

I do like most of the stuff in the Mika bundle, and I'm a sucker for cute Thorne stuff, I just already have a lot!  But the weird makeup does not look like typical Thorne so I'm thinking Thorne did not do those and I really wish they let Thorne do the promos because I don't think whoever does the Daz in-house promos does justice to any of the products... 

I've got to be honest. There's just so many new figures that I can't keep up with them. Whenever you said Gianni or Ivan, I knew exactly who they were. Stephanie or Victoria, The Girl, same thing. I can't remember most of these gals. I'm seeing names in the who-they're-for and wondering if they've been released yet!  I'm seeing Kaylee 8 and Mabel 8.    Trying to keep Mika, Karyssa, Penny, Alexandra straight, I have to stop and think because Karyssa is somewhat like Mika, Penny and Alexandra just don't stick out to me. I do remember Edie.  Penny is a plain name so I can remember she's not anime or fairy-ish, but so far as recalling what she LOOKS like, nope. Had to look her up.

Are Kaylee and Mabel the two in the pipeline, in addition to Girl 8?  I don't have them and nothing comes up in search (like that means anything.) 

edited May 2018

I'm readying Thread 11, we're only 37 posts away and that can zip up really quick. I always need to post the link to the next thread so people don't get lost. You'll need to subscribe to the new one, don't want to lose you!  :)   Thought you'd like to see the summary which always begins the new thread. If you have renders in these threads, you're art is getting seen. That's due in large part to the wonderful Daz Deals Browser Add-On. On Product Pages, remember to check out the forum references. These threads come up alot, thanks to you wonderful Art Studio surfers/contributors!  The new thread is NOT open yet.

The previous threads / views as of May 11th, 2018 are shown below.  The threads FIVE YEARS AGO are still being surfed. These are the increase in views from November 18th (2017) to May 11th 2018.

Thread 1   82,388    Now 83,347    (+959 new VIEWS!)   (March 2013-Sept 2013)
    Thread 2   66,979    Now 67,811    (+832)
    Thread 3   77,832    Now  78,578     (+746)
    Thread 4   57,703    Now 58,508    (+805) 
    Thread 5   52,017    Now 52,482    (+465)
    Thread 6   73,230    Now 75,603   (+2373)   (this is all the way back to February 2015- March 2016) 
    Thread 7   51,745   Now  54,879  (+3134)
    Thread 8   45,690   Now 49,087   (+3397)
    Thread 9  47,117    Now 51,435    (+4318)
    Thread 10   46,325 (May 11th) 

Total views: Old: 554,470  New: 618,055     New views on threads 1-9 only- 17,029 views, no new posts! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

I might be one of those 'surfers' so maybe time to stop lurking and at least thank you.   Not only product reviews, but quite a few helpful hints for newcomers.

Best wishes on #11 smiley

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited May 2018
    Novica said:

Brisen for Mika 8         Bronwyn Hair (Gen3F / Gen8F)              Fantasy Adventure Outfit (Gen8F) 

The Bronwyn Hair didn't look even remotely the same as the promos so far as the rootline. Mine was very sticky looking. It also took an hour longer to render than another test hair,  Calista Tail Hair.)  I'll have to test it on other figures, see if I did something that I didn't catch. (I checked to ensure I didn't have the crown, temple, etc messed with.)  Adjusting the head shape didn't do anything so far as I could tell. Since it's an AprilYSH hair I'm inclined to believe it's something I probably did. Anyone have it who can check it out on other Mika 8 characters? 

Hi,

I tried to see if I could replicate the "sticky" look but I wasn't successful. I rendered the Bronwyn Hair with the black, dark brown and blonde-brown materials with low shine settings. I also used Pix Janella for Mika 8 for my tests.

Trish

bronwen-test-black-hair-low-shine-1.png
    593 x 706 - 544K
    bronwen-test-dkbrown-hair-low-shine-1.png
    593 x 700 - 545K
    bronwen-test-blonde-brown-hair-low-shine-1.png
    593 x 711 - 561K
    Post edited by Stormlyght on

@stormlyght   Thanks, it does indeed look a LOT different than the mess I ended up with. As I figured, I must've done something. Appreciate you testing it!

BTW, the Modern Kitchen is indeed now updated. No more floating countertops! (This has been since 2016. Really?) 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thread 11 is crazy!  I"m just hitting the end of my first one lol!  As far as Mika 8 goes, I did pick her up, I passed on Karyssa so MIka works for me.  And I do love Thorne girls, they fit what I do very well. Plus, for, not only can use just about everything in the bundle (it has wings!  I love wings lol). I am also a big fan of DM and despite the fact that I own probably 30 or 40 sets from him, I was quite happy to pick up the 10 free items although I did only have about 28 to choose from.  So this bundle worked for.

I don't really remember what Penny looks like either....

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    edited May 2018
    Novica said:

Mika 8 with the     Bronwyn Hair (Gen3F / Gen8F)            hair 

Hey That Huirts.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 722K
    Post edited by cismic on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142
    edited May 2018

I finally got round to trying out SickleYield's dForce Roman Outfit for G8F (I was rendering the G8M one too but DS crashed on me during simulation - maybe because I'd done, cleared, redone,...  several since the last restart). Anyway, here's Corina with Bolina Hair (picked up recently for next to nothing in a multi-stack sale) in her Roman Chiton at the Arcade de Janus with the Tyrrhenian Portal texture set.

And I can hardly believe you've nearly reached Thread 11! What a massive enterprise this has turned out to be - well done for all those views!

Corina-Bolina-RomanChiton-Tyrrhenian.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 752K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
This discussion has been closed.