Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    jakiblue said:

Sheridan Hair is a MUCH better made hair than Georgina hair, by a country mile. 

L'adair, does that scene identification only work between G3 and G8? It won't work for say G2 -> G8?

L'Adair said:
    Sheridan Hair is for G3F. Any G3F hair will work on G8F without auto-fit, preserving all the morphs, if you change the Scene Identification to G8F.
    • Load the G3F hair. If it tries to auto-fit to your G8F figure, hit the Cancel button.
    • Select the G3F hair in the Scene tab and open the Scene tab Menu.
    • Scroll down to Edit->Scene Identification and select.
    • In the resulting popup dialog, look for "Preferred Base :" at the bottom, then click on the very small button on the far right that has an ellipsis (…) for a label.
    • Locate and select Genesis 8->Female in the list. (List is alphabetical.)
    • Right-click on the G3F Hair and select Fit to->[your G8F character]

It will only work between G3 and G8, and only female-to-female or male-to-male. My understanding is it works because the mesh for both generations is essentially the same, in spite of all the other changes. It works both ways, too. So G3 can wear G8 hair just as easily.  (Clothing is quite a bit more work, though, thanks in large part to the different default poses.)

Fishtales said:

Thank you @L'Adair I have Windows 7 so I don't know the configuration for 10. It should be selected as the default but I have been reading that some programs can change it when being installed.

I have a stable install of the latest Studio ATM and it hasn't shut down for a while now unless I do something stupid like trying to do too many things at once too fast which confuses it and it either locks up for a while, completely or just crashes.

Happy to help, Sandy. I've got Win7Pro on this computer and Win10Pro on the beast. If I can find it on this machine, I can usually figure out where it is on the other one.

I use both the latest 4.10 beta and the latest 4.9 released versions on the Beast. (I mostly work in the beta, but sometimes it comes in handy to be able to have both programs running at the same time.) It's been pretty stable for me, and I can usually trace a crash back to something I did. The beast has 64GB of RAM, and I suspect that helps. When it does crash, it seems like DS waits for me to be so engrossed with the creative process that I've not saved the scene for a couple of hours. lol

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited April 2018
    L'Adair said:
    Fishtales said:

I use both the latest 4.10 beta and the latest 4.9 released versions on the Beast. (I mostly work in the beta, but sometimes it comes in handy to be able to have both programs running at the same time.) It's been pretty stable for me, and I can usually trace a crash back to something I did. The beast has 64GB of RAM, and I suspect that helps. When it does crash, it seems like DS waits for me to be so engrossed with the creative process that I've not saved the scene for a couple of hours. lol

I am trying to get into the habit of saving every time I add something to a scene, change shader settings, add a pose or clothing etc, I don't always remember though :)

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

No one has mentioned this that I've seen... 

But Now-Crowd Billboards, Modern City Life... must be the best bargain in the DAZ library on a GB per Dollar ratio. It was downloading super slow, and then I looked down and realized it was over 10GB in 15 different install packages. 

A few of those in your content library will really bloat your DAZ hard-drive footprint.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

yes, I have 4 of these billboard sets.... They are extremely memory intensive.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have all the billboards except for the modern day ones (just pickecd up the sci fi ones yesterday).  They are HUGE files but on the other hand, the savingings in memory in the scenes and the ability toss a bunch of random people into a scene to make it believable is worth it if you machine has the space for them.  And the fact that they orient to camera, with a script to be able to rotate them (so you can see the back instead of the front, or the side, can see them from a different angle like above, and they still look right? Invaluable.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    L'Adair said:

Windows 10, right?

• Do you have a shortcut for "This PC" on your desktop? (Clicking on it opens a folder view of your computer and hard drives.) If not, you can get there from any open folder. Look for This PC in the left column. Click on that.
    • Now in the upper left corner you should see what looks like a page with a red checkmark. Mine shows one large and one small icon. Click on either one. This will open your Control Panel System window.

I had already gone to the Windows icon at the bottom left and gone through every possible setting :(  I know I used to have Control Panel, but it wasn't an option, so I went into search and then just kept typing words from the steps you listed. What a pain in the hiney. That item was already checked. I also checked for disc fragmentalization, drivers initialized- everything is in top notch shape and up to date. 

BTW I added L'Adair's tip on using Gen3 hair on Gen8 in the tips section, first page, under HAIR. 

edited April 2018

Today's sale is Mad. Mad I tell ya!
    laugh

Why couldn't Daz throw a few of these at us in March? I placed an order yesterday where one new release was 46% off, three were 52% off and the new DO was 62% off. I also had back catalog items with discounts of 77% or 82% because of meeting the new release requirements in two different promos, and two PC+ items for under 50¢ each… Twelve items for under $87.

Today, I've got a new release in the cart for 70% off. A new release! (I had them all in my cart to test it, and they were all at 70% off.) I met the 5 or more requirement with back catalog products, which are showing 74-75% off, except for the DOs at 82% off. 10 items for $48.99!

And Daz wonders why we didn't get excited for March Madness! LOL

ETA: Discounts above include the extra 15% for the Daz Thanks banner.

Post edited by L'Adair on

Yes, it's quite fun shopping today. One thing to note- the Thorneworks Ultimate Fantasy Ears has a hide the ears completely morph which comes in handy if you're ever doing hooded cloaks that are tight fitting, or hats, etc.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Novica said:

Yes, it's quite fun shopping today. One thing to note- the Thorneworks Ultimate Fantasy Ears has a hide the ears completely morph which comes in handy if you're ever doing hooded cloaks that are tight fitting, or hats, etc.

Unfortunately there's only two of today's items I kind of want, and not a single wishlisted older item. There's always another sale LOL

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited April 2018
    Novica said:

My operating system says 64 bit and I've always had 64bit daz studio. So don't know why that came up. 

I think the Visual Studio 2005 compiler is used to compile DAZ Studio so I doubt that it is 100% 64 bit code through and through. I think Visual Studio 2017 is the newest Visual Studio. As VS 2005 is now 13 years old DAZ 3D ought to consider upgrading to VS 2017. They might be limited to by their reliance on the QT libraries though. And switcher to a new compiler is not easy, Blender has been struggling to make a working feature-matching release of Blender using the latest VS compiler and haven't managed it yet.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    Nath said:
    Novica said:

Unfortunately there's only two of today's items I kind of want, and not a single wishlisted older item. There's always another sale LOL

That didn't stop me. laugh I've got a few items in the cart that I would never buy otherwise, but for $3-$4…? They'll be fun to have. Though after spending so much yesterday, I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to actually buy anything today. (Even though I expect I'll be kicking myself if I don't!)

edited April 2018

Since I buy to showcase, I'm picking up the Nikisatez clothing. I am also focusing on all the morphs from Thorne/Handspan because as we all found out, morphs to plumpen the sides, make the arms more saggy, and give slight potbellies are nice to have if you want to make your characters older. Just a thought. They're $4.30-4.85 with the 15% banner.  The fantasy (one for G3, one for G8) can be used for the eyes, regardless of whether you have a fantasy character or not. (In addition to some other parts of that product.) 

One dress that is cute which could be used as a top (or a dress with leggings and skinz under it, like the corset if you don't want plunging neckline) is Wrap Dress. I'm hoping that's two material zones on the dress. Think what you could do with that with shaders. Get the price- 82% off, for $3.20  The textures are 64% with 15% banner. $4.64 So you could get the dress and textures today for $7.84   All this plus if you got the 24% off gift card and use the credit to buy this... well... it's worth taking a look at. It has shoes too. The textures include a scalloped hem and neckline version, rather cute!

Post edited by Novica on

Looking at Wrap Dress, it could be used as a beach swimsuit coverup too.

I sort of like the honeymoon bundle, minus the bed which badly needs some smooshing morphs. Unfortunately, most of the vendors on sale sell primarily female content and its hard to select from those items 5 things I will actually use.

I sort of like the honeymoon bundle, minus the bed which badly needs some smooshing morphs. Unfortunately, most of the vendors on sale sell primarily female content and its hard to select from those items 5 things I will actually use.

Everything in my cart ATM is from Nikisatez's catalog, including some clothing for the guys, props, and a bedroom scene, (which has numerous props I can use for kitbashing.) But I know what you mean. I really don't want or need more poses or morphs for females. It's my guys that need the 3D love!

I picked up the honeymoon set and several zeddicus’s pose sets. I have the male things I want from the other store.

edited April 2018

LY Adair HD (Gen3F)        X-Fashion Biker Jacket (Gen3F)     Adalyn Hair (Gen3F) 

No one ever answered about the lack of reflectivity for the eyes. I added the white reflections in the eyes (postwork.)  The pupils render coal black and there's no light bouncing off. The moisture in the Surface pane had changes, so something was inputted, but the eyes aren't doing squat. I loaded it from scratch twice.

For Adalyn Hair, maybe there was a way to do it and I just couldn't find it- but I couldn't get JUST that huge mass of hair on the upper side to shrink. There's a flatten, but it's everything. (Hate that.) There's a top shrink, but that's the top, and not the top/side. There's no upper side reduction option. Sides Width reduces the lower part too, so you still have an unbalanced mass up above. Probably with more tweaking it can be done, but I messed with it for about ten minutes then that was it.  IMO I would prefer more precise sections responding to movement.

The hair is shown out of the box and needs smoothing applied, it's crinkly.

The jacket has a nice variety of colors and you can zip/unzip it. 

LY Adair.png
    571 x 787 - 814K
    LY Adair2.png
    600 x 800 - 944K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2018

I have all the billboards except for the modern day ones (just pickecd up the sci fi ones yesterday).  They are HUGE files but on the other hand, the savingings in memory in the scenes and the ability toss a bunch of random people into a scene to make it believable is worth it if you machine has the space for them.  And the fact that they orient to camera, with a script to be able to rotate them (so you can see the back instead of the front, or the side, can see them from a different angle like above, and they still look right? Invaluable.

I have trouble with billboards. I like the idea, but sometimes the images can look pretty unnatural. For example, Two of the recent sci-fi ones have sort of floaty feet. Also in certain lighting they don't look great.

I'm debating returning the recent pack. Without better placed feet, it will be hard to get much usefulness out of it.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:

If you can only buy one of Riversoft's posing scripts, make it Look at Me. It saves so much hassle on making characters look at the camera, look at each other, look at objects....the only thing that stumps it is sometimes when you're setting up multiple characters at a pre-determined camera point and it *seems* (from camera POV) like they should be able to look at each other easily, and then you use Look at Me and discover they are much farther away on the z-plane than you thought, and what is an objectively correct line of sight from the characters' POV looks "wrong" from the camera POV. Adjusting the percentage of head/neck bend and twist (options in Look at Me) can help you find a compromise between what the characters ought to be doing realistically and what looks good for the picture.

Eye Clock is a way of dialing the eyes to jointly point in one direction or another. It's very simple and intuitive, and RiverSoft created it significantly before Look at Me. They do different things, but most of the situations where I would find Eye Clock useful, I think Look at Me is more useful. Think of it as a supplement to Look at Me, for situations where you want a character facing one way but their eyes tracking another, or other specialized tasks where you need both scripts.

Bone Doctor: this allows you to quickly intensify ("exagerrate") or loosen ("relax") whole poses or specific bone hierarchies within a pose. On ANY figure. Also comes with scripts for converting G3 poses to G8 and vice versa, but I've not tried that yet. I think the idea on that part is that you apply the pose, and then apply the script to reposition the arms and legs to compensate for the difference between the zeroed poses on G3 and G8. The last time Riversoft had a major sale, I could only justify getting this or Pose Blender, and I don't regret that choice, but I am also picking up Pose Blender and Expression Mixer ASAP.

ETA: Pose Randomizer: Completely forgot I had this. It's useful for making overly rigid or symmetrical poses look more natural, or adding more variety to scenes where a bunch of people are by definition doing similar things (dinner conversations, Santa's workshop, etc). If you don't have Bone Doctor, you can use this to achieve somewhat similar results for loosening/tightening arm/leg hierarchies. Fun to play with (I don't think I've ever met a randomizer script in Daz that I didn't like), and useful in some situations but less important if you're not a professional pose-maker/obsessed with photorealism or animation.

Re: Look at Me, Isn't it just as easy to parent the eyes to the camera and/or twist the head? It seems that all the products just imitate what it is easy to do manually... The bone doctor seems OK to curl tails and such, but I'm trying to see what the advantages are to these...

I've had very mixed results using the traditional "point-at" trick on eyes, and I don't feel like the body pose dials under "Actor" give me enough freedom (compared to the slow, painful process of tweaking the bones by hand). Other people don't like them because apparently there's some extra steps to saving out poses created with the pose dials. Look at Me and Bone Doctor speed up the process of bending/twisting this joint this much, and then the other joint this much, then the other other joint this much, without making the process of saving the result more complicated.

Riversoft's scripts are basically time-savers and labor-savers, originally created for the PA's own use. If it works better for you to invest time/work than money in your art, and you are good at posing, then pose sets in general and scripts for speeding up the posing process are not the best investment of your money for this hobby.

Does it add side/side ability for the forearm? It drives me crazy that it was removed. Why is it harder to save poses created under actor? I did not know that...

Forearms have never had side-to-side, sicne human forearms don't. They bend and they twist. The upper arm twists to control the direction of the forearm.

V4 has forearm side/side. My forearm moves side to side. It can rotate the upper arm while it is moving but it's so much easier to manipulate than having to rotate the upper arm to get the forearm to move where you want it.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

The Wrap Dress only has two material zones - one for the sleeves, and one for the dress.  

Novica said:

One dress that is cute which could be used as a top (or a dress with leggings and skinz under it, like the corset if you don't want plunging neckline) is Wrap Dress. I'm hoping that's two material zones on the dress. Think what you could do with that with shaders. Get the price- 82% off, for $3.20  The textures are 64% with 15% banner. $4.64 So you could get the dress and textures today for $7.84   All this plus if you got the 24% off gift card and use the credit to buy this... well... it's worth taking a look at. It has shoes too. The textures include a scalloped hem and neckline version, rather cute!

Novica said:

Novica said:

LY Adair HD (Gen3F)        X-Fashion Biker Jacket (Gen3F)     Adalyn Hair (Gen3F) 

No one ever answered about the lack of reflectivity for the eyes. I added the white reflections in the eyes (postwork.)  The pupils render coal black and there's no light bouncing off. The moisture in the Surface pane had changes, so something was inputted, but the eyes aren't doing squat. I loaded it from scratch twice.

For Adalyn Hair, maybe there was a way to do it and I just couldn't find it- but I couldn't get JUST that huge mass of hair on the upper side to shrink. There's a flatten, but it's everything. (Hate that.) There's a top shrink, but that's the top, and not the top/side. There's no upper side reduction option. Sides Width reduces the lower part too, so you still have an unbalanced mass up above. Probably with more tweaking it can be done, but I messed with it for about ten minutes then that was it.  IMO I would prefer more precise sections responding to movement.

The hair is shown out of the box and needs smoothing applied, it's crinkly.

The jacket has a nice variety of colors and you can zip/unzip it. 

Her skin looks really blotchy. Sometimes I think PAs' attempts at creating realistic looking skin backfire. Rarely do you see photos of women in extreme close-ups without any makeup or some retouching or photo filters. Even when I stare at my own reflection in the mirror up close without makeup do I see all the flaws some PAs are emphasizing. Some realism products and skins just look like the characters are sick or have eczema. V4 skins by top vendors were realistic without all the weird blotchiness that you see now in current IRay characters and shaders. I'm not sure what the creators are aiming for...  The jacket looks great though

Odaa said:
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:

If you can only buy one of Riversoft's posing scripts, make it Look at Me. It saves so much hassle on making characters look at the camera, look at each other, look at objects....the only thing that stumps it is sometimes when you're setting up multiple characters at a pre-determined camera point and it *seems* (from camera POV) like they should be able to look at each other easily, and then you use Look at Me and discover they are much farther away on the z-plane than you thought, and what is an objectively correct line of sight from the characters' POV looks "wrong" from the camera POV. Adjusting the percentage of head/neck bend and twist (options in Look at Me) can help you find a compromise between what the characters ought to be doing realistically and what looks good for the picture.

Eye Clock is a way of dialing the eyes to jointly point in one direction or another. It's very simple and intuitive, and RiverSoft created it significantly before Look at Me. They do different things, but most of the situations where I would find Eye Clock useful, I think Look at Me is more useful. Think of it as a supplement to Look at Me, for situations where you want a character facing one way but their eyes tracking another, or other specialized tasks where you need both scripts.

Bone Doctor: this allows you to quickly intensify ("exagerrate") or loosen ("relax") whole poses or specific bone hierarchies within a pose. On ANY figure. Also comes with scripts for converting G3 poses to G8 and vice versa, but I've not tried that yet. I think the idea on that part is that you apply the pose, and then apply the script to reposition the arms and legs to compensate for the difference between the zeroed poses on G3 and G8. The last time Riversoft had a major sale, I could only justify getting this or Pose Blender, and I don't regret that choice, but I am also picking up Pose Blender and Expression Mixer ASAP.

ETA: Pose Randomizer: Completely forgot I had this. It's useful for making overly rigid or symmetrical poses look more natural, or adding more variety to scenes where a bunch of people are by definition doing similar things (dinner conversations, Santa's workshop, etc). If you don't have Bone Doctor, you can use this to achieve somewhat similar results for loosening/tightening arm/leg hierarchies. Fun to play with (I don't think I've ever met a randomizer script in Daz that I didn't like), and useful in some situations but less important if you're not a professional pose-maker/obsessed with photorealism or animation.

Re: Look at Me, Isn't it just as easy to parent the eyes to the camera and/or twist the head? It seems that all the products just imitate what it is easy to do manually... The bone doctor seems OK to curl tails and such, but I'm trying to see what the advantages are to these...

I've had very mixed results using the traditional "point-at" trick on eyes, and I don't feel like the body pose dials under "Actor" give me enough freedom (compared to the slow, painful process of tweaking the bones by hand). Other people don't like them because apparently there's some extra steps to saving out poses created with the pose dials. Look at Me and Bone Doctor speed up the process of bending/twisting this joint this much, and then the other joint this much, then the other other joint this much, without making the process of saving the result more complicated.

Riversoft's scripts are basically time-savers and labor-savers, originally created for the PA's own use. If it works better for you to invest time/work than money in your art, and you are good at posing, then pose sets in general and scripts for speeding up the posing process are not the best investment of your money for this hobby.

Does it add side/side ability for the forearm? It drives me crazy that it was removed. Why is it harder to save poses created under actor? I did not know that...

It doesn't add any new transforms, just makes it easier to work with the ones you already have. Bone Doctor is really helpful for things like "I can't get the left hand onto the lower grip of this two-handed sword unless I tense up all the major joints in both arms" or "I want these two characters to hug more tightly."

My understanding is that if you create a pose using the pose-dials under actor (not the transforms on the individual bones) the dial positions won't be remembered if you try to save it as a regular pose. There's some process for "baking" the changes to the joints that I don't remember the details of, that makes them saveable.

The way I create poses is clicking on a body part, then going in parameters and sliding the bend/rotate dials. Is there another way of doing it? Won't those save correctly?

There are many ways to make poses. You can move the part manually, use pose controls and bake or use parameter dials. I tend to do all 3 whatever works.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:

It doesn't add any new transforms, just makes it easier to work with the ones you already have. Bone Doctor is really helpful for things like "I can't get the left hand onto the lower grip of this two-handed sword unless I tense up all the major joints in both arms" or "I want these two characters to hug more tightly."

My understanding is that if you create a pose using the pose-dials under actor (not the transforms on the individual bones) the dial positions won't be remembered if you try to save it as a regular pose. There's some process for "baking" the changes to the joints that I don't remember the details of, that makes them saveable.

The way I create poses is clicking on a body part, then going in parameters and sliding the bend/rotate dials. Is there another way of doing it? Won't those save correctly?

The way you are doing it will save correctly. If you go under Actor, where the head/body morphs are, there is an area further down than the morphs, called pose controls, which I personally don't use much except for the facial expressions and the hands. That is the area that supposedly doesn't save out correctly.

edited April 2018
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:

The way you are doing it will save correctly. If you go under Actor, where the head/body morphs are, there is an area further down than the morphs, called pose controls, which I personally don't use much except for the facial expressions and the hands. That is the area that supposedly doesn't save out correctly.

I've never had any trouble saving them. Perhaps that was true in earlier versions of Daz Studio…? But the current save dialog does show the Pose Controls along with all the bones. I'll do a screenshot when my render is finished. Should be soon.

No one has posted, so I'll add the screenshots here. This is the dialog window, expanded to show various bones and Pose Control options.

Pose Preset Dialog

As you can see, everything is selected by default. There is a siimple way to save only the changes from the default: "Check All Modified Only" Here is screenshot of the dialog after selecting that menu item, but with the menu open to show where to find that menu item.

Pose Preset Dialog 02 I hope you find this helpful.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:

When I click on the head or hands, it takes me to the pose controls for that body part, so I'm guessing it's the same thing?

While we're on the subject of saving poses, does anyone know how to create a slider out of an expression? 

I almost got my screenshots up before anyone posted! lol

I'm afraid I can't help you with sliders, @Wonderland. Sure wish I could. sad

This discussion has been closed.