Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2018

LY Ariah HD (Gen8F)        High Neck Bikini (Gen3F / Gen8F)       Vertigo Ponytail (Gen8F) 
    LY Adair HD (Gen3F)        X-Fashion Crochet Bathing Suit (Gen3F)    Audrey Hair (Gen3F) 

Rendered an outfit from one of the featured stores for you.

I have to say I like the bikini more than when I first saw it. The backside gives you good coverage, and the straps on the sides and bottoms in the front really make this a sassy little bikini. (Well I guess that goes without saying, there aren't any BIG bikinis.)  There are a great variety of materials too!  Ariah is in the red polka dot High Neck Bikini, and to compare her, she's with Adair. The Crochet Bathing Suit definitely needs more at the crotch, it's way too narrow. 

Ariah HighNeckBikiniVertigoPonytail.png
    600 x 800 - 906K
    Ariah HighNeckBikiniVertigoPonytail2.png
    600 x 800 - 861K
    Ariah HighNeckBikiniVertigoPonytail3.png
    600 x 800 - 874K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    L'Adair said:

I almost got my screenshots up before anyone posted! lol

I'm afraid I can't help you with sliders, @Wonderland. Sure wish I could. sad

There are so many "secret" things within Daz Studio that no one with knowledge seems to want to reveal, it's like a secret society or Fight Club or something. They don't have a manual on purpose it seems, so we don't learn too much. I guess if we knew how to use every aspect of DS, we wouldn't need to buy as much because we could be doing it all ourselves...

edited April 2018
    Novica said:

LY Ariah HD (Gen8F)        High Neck Bikini (Gen3F / Gen8F)       Vertigo Ponytail (Gen8F) 
    LY Adair HD (Gen3F)        X-Fashion Crochet Bathing Suit (Gen3F)    Audrey Hair (Gen3F) 

I have to say I like the bikini more than when I first saw it. The backside gives you good coverage, and the straps on the sides and bottoms in the front really make this a sassy little bikini. (Well I guess that goes without saying, there aren't any BIG bikinis.)  There are a great variety of materials too!  Ariah is in the red polka dot High Neck Bikini, and to compare her, she's with Adair. The Crochet Bathing Suit definitely needs more at the crotch, it's way too narrow. 

Why did you do that? Ugh. I just checked out and now seeing this, it looks like I'm going to have to make another purchase. Oh, but then I'd have to get 4 more things... I didn't see the polka dot option. That looks adorable! Wish I saw this sooner!

Post edited by Wonderland on

There are so many "secret" things within Daz Studio that no one with knowledge seems to want to reveal, it's like a secret society or Fight Club or something. They don't have a manual on purpose it seems, so we don't learn too much. I guess if we knew how to use every aspect of DS, we wouldn't need to buy as much because we could be doing it all ourselves...

I haven't done sliders in quite awhile, but I remember typing in something like "combining morphs into slider Daz" in YouTube and there were several videos. :)   

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Oh my gosh I love that bikini. Super cute!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited April 2018

I've been tinkering with Diva's latest, Altern8, and I've got to say, I don't believe the base Genesis 3 Female has ever looked better:

Base G3F Alt8 Recipe 01 Close Up, by L'Adair

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited April 2018

I'll crank out a few more of the materials on the High Neck Bikini for you. Here ya go! (Edit, note this isn't all of them, by a long shot. Check the promo images. A lot of solids and more prints.) 

1. The animal print

2. The blue splotchy print, with both horizontal and vertical tiles (Surface Pane) set to 3.0 instead of 1. Makes the splotches smaller, for those of you who haven't messed with tiling.

3. Purple floral  I did the same postwork settings in all these, I would definitely reduce midtones a bit so the print shows up better. 

4. Hawaii / fruit   TIP: There's barely any pattern showing on the bottoms, mostly white- BUT the one leaf tip points toward her crotch (not very attractive.) So do your Horizontal tiling to 1.66 and vertical tiling to 2.08 and you'll get this pattern for the bottom. There's no separate settings by the vendor for the top, then the bottom. There's one material and you apply to both, so that's why the print wasn't optimum for the bottoms. It's an easy tweak.

5. Orange and Yellow Flowers   This tiling seems fine, lots of print on both the top and bottoms.

6. Large diamond pattern. Would also look cute tiled to smaller patterns.

Ariah HighNeckBikiniVertigoPonytail4.png
    400 x 800 - 609K
    Ariah HighNeckBikiniVertigoPonytail5.png
    400 x 800 - 612K
    Ariah HighNeckBikiniVertigoPonytail6.png
    400 x 800 - 604K
    Ariah HighNeckBikiniVertigoPonytail7.png
    400 x 800 - 605K
    Ariah HighNeckBikiniVertigoPonytail8.png
    400 x 800 - 602K
    Ariah HighNeckBikiniVertigoPonytail9.png
    400 x 800 - 614K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2018
    Novica said:

D@mmit, @Novica, you did it to me again. Daz should really be paying you a commission.
    laugh

Unlike @Wonderland, I haven't checked out yet. and with the addition of that swimsuit, I don't know how I can justify passing up the deals; Eleven items for just over $53. The top of that suit, by the way, will make a great halter top with jeans. Might even look good on a centaur…

ETA: Okay, "pulled the trigger," time to step away from the computer!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Yes, but is it an itsy bitsy YELLOW polka dot bikini? =-)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

..that she wore for the first time today? laugh 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I've been meaning to give Boyd a yellow polka-dot bikini. But I'm not sure my eyes could stand the strain. =-)

edited April 2018
    jakiblue said:

@jakiblue   @serenenight  No, that yellow bikini gal was last seen running furiously away from the One-Eyed-One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater. (You started this, keep that in mind! I'm just waiting for @RGcincy to jump in anytime now...)  

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

They ran straight into the Monster Mash, I believe. wink

Novica said:
    jakiblue said:

@jakiblue   @serenenight  No, that yellow bikini gal was last seen running furiously away from the One-Eyed-One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater. (You started this, keep that in mind! I'm just waiting for @RGcincy to jump in anytime now...)  

L'Adair said:

I've been tinkering with Diva's latest, Altern8, and I've got to say, I don't believe the base Genesis 3 Female has ever looked better:

In your opinion, since you've tinkered with it, how is it for ease of use, etc? What do you like best about it? (Nice image BTW) 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,279
    jakiblue said:

They ran straight into the Monster Mash, I believe. wink

Novica said:
    jakiblue said:

Screaming Please Mr Custer I don't wanna go as Ahab the Arab and Clyde slipped out the back while someone else hollered Git Tarzan

L'Adair said:
    Novica said:

D@mmit, @Novica, you did it to me again. Daz should really be paying you a commission.
    laugh

Unlike @Wonderland, I haven't checked out yet. and with the addition of that swimsuit, I don't know how I can justify passing up the deals; Eleven items for just over $53. The top of that suit, by the way, will make a great halter top with jeans. Might even look good on a centaur…

ETA: Okay, "pulled the trigger," time to step away from the computer!

Well, thanks to Novica, I went back into NikiSatez's store and was thinking of getting the bikini and four more things before all the discounts went away and ended up getting 12 products for $55, going $5.00 over my second gift card this week. I really have to stop! But I love NikiSatez's fashion style and the sets are really nice with a ton of separate props. Eventually I will own all of her store. And Novica really should be getting a commission for that last minute sale! 

Screaming Please Mr Custer I don't wanna go as Ahab the Arab and Clyde slipped out the back while someone else hollered Git Tarzan

Ah, Ray Stevens.

Another favorite fun song was Junk Food Junkie by Larry Groce. My mom swore he wrote that song just for me LOL.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    Novica said:

Novica said:

LY Adair HD (Gen3F)        X-Fashion Biker Jacket (Gen3F)     Adalyn Hair (Gen3F) 

No one ever answered about the lack of reflectivity for the eyes. I added the white reflections in the eyes (postwork.)  The pupils render coal black and there's no light bouncing off. The moisture in the Surface pane had changes, so something was inputted, but the eyes aren't doing squat. I loaded it from scratch twice.

For Adalyn Hair, maybe there was a way to do it and I just couldn't find it- but I couldn't get JUST that huge mass of hair on the upper side to shrink. There's a flatten, but it's everything. (Hate that.) There's a top shrink, but that's the top, and not the top/side. There's no upper side reduction option. Sides Width reduces the lower part too, so you still have an unbalanced mass up above. Probably with more tweaking it can be done, but I messed with it for about ten minutes then that was it.  IMO I would prefer more precise sections responding to movement.

The hair is shown out of the box and needs smoothing applied, it's crinkly.

The jacket has a nice variety of colors and you can zip/unzip it. 

Her skin looks really blotchy. Sometimes I think PAs' attempts at creating realistic looking skin backfire. Rarely do you see photos of women in extreme close-ups without any makeup or some retouching or photo filters. Even when I stare at my own reflection in the mirror up close without makeup do I see all the flaws some PAs are emphasizing. Some realism products and skins just look like the characters are sick or have eczema. V4 skins by top vendors were realistic without all the weird blotchiness that you see now in current IRay characters and shaders. I'm not sure what the creators are aiming for...  The jacket looks great though

I agree, and think that blotchiness makes her face look dirty. Not what you'd normally want, but I imagine it could be useful in something like a scene depicting the working class of sooty Dickensian London. Most Daz characters are far too clean for that kind of thing, but I think a dirt shader might be too exaggerated so I'll bear her in mind next time I need someone a bit grubby looking:)

edited April 2018
    Novica said:
    L'Adair said:

In your opinion, since you've tinkered with it, how is it for ease of use, etc? What do you like best about it? (Nice image BTW) 

It's really very simple to use. Select your figure, click on the preset. Presets are for Named 8 figures and optimized for those materials. However, there are "No Map" versions of those presets which can work on any G3 or G8 character, male or female. I used the Lucas 8 B preset on the base female. I'm going to cheat and copy/paste some images I posted in the Altern8 thread:

Base G3F Maps Alt8 Charlotte No-maps Base G3F Maps Alt8 Karyssa No-maps Base G3F Maps Alt8 Olympia B No-maps Base G3F Maps Alt8 Victoria No-maps Base G3f Maps Alt8 Lucas B No-maps

Base G3f Maps Alt8 Charlotte No-maps Close Up Base G3f Maps Alt8 Karyssa No-maps Close Up Base G3f Maps Alt8 Olympia B No-maps Close Up Base G3f Maps Alt8 Victoria No-maps Close Up 2500 Samples Base G3f Maps Alt8 Lucas B No-maps Close Up

The No Maps presets are for, from left to right, Charlotte 8, Karyssa 8, Olympia 8 B, Victoria 8, and Lucas 8 B

Each image links to it's full-size counterpart, 1500 pixels square. These are the base female with just one preset applied. I felt like the Lucas 8 B was the best color match, so I worked with it, adding other "one-click" presets to get the final image. Here is the "recipe" I used:

Altern8 - Lucas 8 B - No Maps
    Altern8 SSS Tint - A
    Altern8 Skin Shine Lips C - High
    Altern8 Skin Shine - Load Skin Shine Maps
    Altern8 Skin Shine B - Medium
    Altern8 Eyes - EyeSocket
    Altern8 Eyes - Sclera 050

I didn't do anything else to the materials. It's all Altern8.

And here is the full-body image as well. Look at those fingernails!

Base G3f Alt8 Recipe 01, By L'Adair

Final impressions? This is so easy. Everything is in a preset. Need to change the translucency? There's a preset for that. Need to change the SSS color? There's a preset for that, too. Presets for the Gens. Presets for the Sclera. There's even a preset to turn the diffuse overlay off on the face, if you apply a preset and the face turns white! Diva has really thought of everything. And there's going to be an update shortly with more presets in response to requests in the Altern8 thread in The Commons. Great product, Responsive PA. Wonderful combination.

P.S. I used the Premium Portrait Poses - Wall product, (I bought after you reviewed it here,) for the pose, set and lighting. I modified the pose some, and used RSA's Look At Me Pose Control and Expression Mixer with it.

@ladair  Thanks for the info, very useful!

BTW folks, don't bother testing the old green banner for 15%. I already did, and it did end at Daz midnight. You know I HAD to try it. 

edited April 2018

This is adorable XOXO by Ellianeck wearing the Venom Blade Fantasy Outfit with Abigail Hair

I really like all of them but noticed there is poke through on the dress which is all one piece, so that's weird. I did a bit of basic postwork on my iPad because the HDRI (from HDRI Haven) was a bit dark and also it looked like she was floating in the air, but will have to fix that in Photoshop. There is a hood on the dress that is attached but you can delete manually in surfaces by using cutout. There are a lot of adjustments on the hood but not enough for this hair. I have Sickleyield's hat hair helper but decided to just delete the hood for now. 

You can load the whole outfit at once and it even puts the knife in her hand!

Edited to add that I forgot that I had changed her body. I made her quite a bit thinner than the original model.

IMG_4812.JPG
    705 x 950 - 934K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
    edited April 2018

I suggested it, so now you get to actually see it.  wink Wrap Dress as a top, using either leggings or pants with it. (I had to look it up, I paid $3.20 for the dress, 82% off!)

LY Stormy (Gen3F) is wearing the Wrap Dress with the Sexy Skinz- Corsets and Sand Serpent Outfit (Gen3F)  pants, and I think it's a rather cute outfit. The bracelet is also from Sand Serpent Outfit. The thighs in the Wrap Dress easily morph over the leggings on the thighs and rear. The Wrap Dress bust easily goes over the corset.  And the Sand Serpent pants have a color which matches the dress color, you don't even need to replace it! As you can see, the dress is very "fluid" and flows nicely around poses.  I think leggings could look cuter than pants, but this gives you an idea.This is a leather look, and you could soften them with silk shaders.

The corset was pink and changed to 15 / 35 / 85 in the base color in Surface pane. 

I like Stormy much better after rendering her than I did in the promos. The lips are shown at default, I would definitely give the upper lip some downward curves. When given expressions, they tend to lose a bit of the curves. (You can see the curves in the promo, they are indeed there.)  I also changed the lip color to a more purple, to match the outfit. Just choose a light lip color, and head to the left for the red/purple side of the color chart, like fushia.

LY Stormy Wrap Dress Galene Hair2.png
    500 x 800 - 801K
    LY Stormy Wrap Dress Galene Hair.png
    500 x 800 - 764K
    LY Stormy Wrap Dress Galene Hair3.png
    500 x 800 - 686K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2018

@wonderland   XOXO certainly deserves some kisses, what a cutie!

I'm a bit curious-  if you don't mind me pointing it out. It happened to me on this one- (gotta love postwork!)  When the leg/thigh is bent, the clothes often intersect it. In mine, her drawn up thigh had the top cutting into the top. I had to draw in the top and put that light trim in by hand. In yours, I believe the boot is cutting into the underneath of the thigh? Part of the boot is missing and it's severely cut out like a square, then there's that tiny black line in the middle of the white stocking (to the right of the missing boot area.) Like the boot is trying to poke back out there.  Hope I'm making sense? Didn't know if you were going to use this for a book promo so thought I'd mention that section just in case. And since it happened to me just a few days ago, I'm sure it's happening a lot to other people (who may not catch it.)  

Edit- that was another reason I really liked the Wrap Dress as a top. The poke through with that kneeling pose only required a quickie slider for the thighs to fix! Easy smeezy. But anytime legs are severely bent/ a leg goes under the clothes, that clothing intersecting is a pain!

Post edited by Novica on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Here is HP Kinsley who renders beautifully, in my opinion.  I like the thicker eyebrows on her.  The first version is out of the box, no lights.  The second is using Sudio Light Pro which makes such a difference.  I particularly like the way the lighting makes her eyes shine and look real.  It might turn into my go to lighting.  She's wearing Josina hair. 

I'm using the character for an evil queen piece.  This is just the test/wip and has finger poke thru and such.  However, I'm posting it to show how she takes on expressions.  She looks quite intense with narrowed eyes.  In the render, she is wearing Deliciously Evil Queen.  I haven't used any lighting yet on the WIP.

kinsley 1.jpg
    3000 x 2250 - 2M
    kinsley josina hair studio light pro 70 percent render.png
    3000 x 2250 - 5M
    kinsley 3.jpg
    3000 x 2250 - 2M

@worldsedge  Ooooh, great choice. She looks like a very, very bad girl! I like those eyebrows too, perfect for her. Adds more domination to the overall character. What an attitude! 

edited April 2018

Ouch. Tornado Warning. It's been "watch the weather" for the past ten minutes. It's now north. But you folks in southeastern Alabama now have one. (Henry, AL)  And we still have the one over in Ft Walton Beach. You lucky Floridians living in the Peninsula get all this about 8 hours from now. (And Georgia.) 

Post edited by Novica on

This is adorable XOXO by Ellianeck wearing the Venom Blade Fantasy Outfit with Abigail Hair

I really like all of them but noticed there is poke through on the dress which is all one piece, so that's weird. I did a bit of basic postwork on my iPad because the HDRI (from HDRI Haven) was a bit dark and also it looked like she was floating in the air, but will have to fix that in Photoshop. There is a hood on the dress that is attached but you can delete manually in surfaces by using cutout. There are a lot of adjustments on the hood but not enough for this hair. I have Sickleyield's hat hair helper but decided to just delete the hood for now. 

Novica said:

@wonderland   XOXO certainly deserves some kisses, what a cutie!

I'm a bit curious-  if you don't mind me pointing it out. It happened to me on this one- (gotta love postwork!)  When the leg/thigh is bent, the clothes often intersect it. In mine, her drawn up thigh had the top cutting into the top. I had to draw in the top and put that light trim in by hand. In yours, I believe the boot is cutting into the underneath of the thigh? Part of the boot is missing and it's severely cut out like a square, then there's that tiny black line in the middle of the white stocking (to the right of the missing boot area.) Like the boot is trying to poke back out there.  Hope I'm making sense? Didn't know if you were going to use this for a book promo so thought I'd mention that section just in case. And since it happened to me just a few days ago, I'm sure it's happening a lot to other people (who may not catch it.)  

Edit- that was another reason I really liked the Wrap Dress as a top. The poke through with that kneeling pose only required a quickie slider for the thighs to fix! Easy smeezy. But anytime legs are severely bent/ a leg goes under the clothes, that clothing intersecting is a pain!

Thanks for pointing that out! I don't know how I missed it. I did the original render on my laptop so missed it while setting up and somehow didn't see it later!  Gotta love the Photoshop clone tool for things like this...

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    L'Adair said:

hahah I know I'm biased but I have to agree - I think your Altern8 formula with the Base Genesis 3 Female skin looks really good! 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    L'Adair said:
    Novica said:
    L'Adair said:

It's really very simple to use. Select your figure, click on the preset. Presets are for Named 8 figures and optimized for those materials. However, there are "No Map" versions of those presets which can work on any G3 or G8 character, male or female. I used the Lucas 8 B preset on the base female. I'm going to cheat and copy/paste some images I posted in the Altern8 thread:

Base G3F Maps Alt8 Charlotte No-maps Base G3F Maps Alt8 Karyssa No-maps Base G3F Maps Alt8 Olympia B No-maps Base G3F Maps Alt8 Victoria No-maps Base G3f Maps Alt8 Lucas B No-maps

Base G3f Maps Alt8 Charlotte No-maps Close Up Base G3f Maps Alt8 Karyssa No-maps Close Up Base G3f Maps Alt8 Olympia B No-maps Close Up Base G3f Maps Alt8 Victoria No-maps Close Up 2500 Samples Base G3f Maps Alt8 Lucas B No-maps Close Up

The No Maps presets are for, from left to right, Charlotte 8, Karyssa 8, Olympia 8 B, Victoria 8, and Lucas 8 B

Each image links to it's full-size counterpart, 1500 pixels square. These are the base female with just one preset applied. I felt like the Lucas 8 B was the best color match, so I worked with it, adding other "one-click" presets to get the final image. Here is the "recipe" I used:

Altern8 - Lucas 8 B - No Maps
    Altern8 SSS Tint - A
    Altern8 Skin Shine Lips C - High
    Altern8 Skin Shine - Load Skin Shine Maps
    Altern8 Skin Shine B - Medium
    Altern8 Eyes - EyeSocket
    Altern8 Eyes - Sclera 050

I didn't do anything else to the materials. It's all Altern8.

And here is the full-body image as well. Look at those fingernails!

Base G3f Alt8 Recipe 01, By L'Adair

Final impressions? This is so easy. Everything is in a preset. Need to change the translucency? There's a preset for that. Need to change the SSS color? There's a preset for that, too. Presets for the Gens. Presets for the Sclera. There's even a preset to turn the diffuse overlay off on the face, if you apply a preset and the face turns white! Diva has really thought of everything. And there's going to be an update shortly with more presets in response to requests in the Altern8 thread in The Commons. Great product, Responsive PA. Wonderful combination.

P.S. I used the Premium Portrait Poses - Wall product, (I bought after you reviewed it here,) for the pose, set and lighting. I modified the pose some, and used RSA's Look At Me Pose Control and Expression Mixer with it.

Dawwww Thank you SO MUCH for the wonderful review! That's so sweet of you. I'm pretty much grinning from ear to ear right now. heheh I really appreciate the kind words and support. 

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,160

@worldsedge, I love what you are doing with HP Kinsley. I bought her and haven't even looked at her yet. She has a 'don't mess with me' look about her the way you've set her up :-)

This discussion has been closed.