Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229
    edited October 2017
    mtl1 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    mtl1 said:

Wow, this is a nice surprise after taking a hiatus with work and all :D

Can anyone at DAZ comment on what will happen to the old Optitex and Dynamic Cloth products?

Well with VWD you can use that to drape with no issue so I'm  sure  this new system should work fine with those types of items. 

That is true.

Man, my timing couldn't be any worse -- I recently discovered a way to get old Optitex cloth to work nicely on any figure without 3rd party tools too ;P

OOhhh do tell, do tell....I tried but DAZ keeps crashing when I do it...

Post edited by Luv Lee on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    Mada said:

I prefer the timeline too :) To clear the timeline you use edit -> Figure -> Clear Animation -> Clear figure.

I love to see everyone so excited about dForce - its been a hard secret to keep lol

Problem with this is that it resets my G3F to the base figure. Any morphs are lost. This reminds me that clearing the animation timeline has always been a mystery to me.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    Luv Lee said:
    mtl1 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    mtl1 said:

Wow, this is a nice surprise after taking a hiatus with work and all :D

Can anyone at DAZ comment on what will happen to the old Optitex and Dynamic Cloth products?

Well with VWD you can use that to drape with no issue so I'm  sure  this new system should work fine with those types of items. 

That is true.

Man, my timing couldn't be any worse -- I recently discovered a way to get old Optitex cloth to work nicely on any figure without 3rd party tools too ;P

OOhhh do tell, do tell....I tried but DAZ keeps crashing when I do it...

It's actually a quite simple method. I'll post it later tonight; just realized that it doesn't quite work on *any* figure, since it doesn't seem to play well with Star! 2.0 for some reason... Works nicely on G3F characters though.

I installed the latest beta (*.101) and it seems to me to have broken what I had working :( 

At the moment, the clothes are not colliding with the figure properly (sinking straight though the chest, not draping over bent thighs).
    I'm going to leave it now until something stable appears.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

I find that it works much better with quads than triangles for some reason.

That isn't all that big a surprise TBH, Tri-poly are rigid and you need a pretty dense mesh to get a really good dynamic drape with them, Quads can twist which means you don't need anywhere near as many poly to get the same results.

• This is is AWESOME!

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Chohole said:
    "He" is always watching. You're welcome. It's nice to see some occasional  positivity/gratitude. Thank you for that.

Chohole, could you please send some more positivity and gratitude to Rob? :) I think the addition of dForce is a spectacular event.

I remember very well that all those years ago, when I downloaded that 2.x version of DS, I saw that it didn't have all the "rooms" that Poser had at the time, but I was sure all those capabilities would eventually appear and they were going to be way way better. Good things come to those who wait =)

• ButchButch Posts: 797
    marble said:
    Mada said:

I prefer the timeline too :) To clear the timeline you use edit -> Figure -> Clear Animation -> Clear figure.

I love to see everyone so excited about dForce - its been a hard secret to keep lol

Problem with this is that it resets my G3F to the base figure. Any morphs are lost. This reminds me that clearing the animation timeline has always been a mystery to me.

edit -> Figure -> Clear Animation -> Clear figure POSE

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    Bejaymac said:

I find that it works much better with quads than triangles for some reason.

That isn't all that big a surprise TBH, Tri-poly are rigid and you need a pretty dense mesh to get a really good dynamic drape with them, Quads can twist which means you don't need anywhere near as many poly to get the same results.

I just have to chime in to say that the performance of tri's versus poly's is highly dependent on the type of garment you are working with.  After working with dForce extensively and testing with both quad and tri version meshes on many of my upcoming dForce products I have consistently achieved better results with tri's.  My particular clothing styles lend themselves very well to the peculiarities of tri-mesh, and quite often, with far fewer vertices than I can get away with using quads.  I'm quite certain moving forward when meshes designed specifically for dForce dynamic draping are available in store end users will find that all PA's have put a great deal of effort into making their garments work beautifully with dForce regardless of whether using quads or tri-meshes.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Ugh, anyone been able to get this working with hair yet? Even with self collide off, I get nothing but spectacular explosions so far lol.

• TheKD said:

Ugh, anyone been able to get this working with hair yet? Even with self collide off, I get nothing but spectacular explosions so far lol.

Hair is going to be hit and puff for a bit yet, as it's not officially supported.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    TheKD said:

I've not done much experimenting with hair. I think I've tried only like 5 hairs and only got 2 so far to work. Here's one: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2909276/#Comment_2909276

edited October 2017

Ah darn, don't got radiant jaguar hair. So far I have tried a few of my short bob type hairs, haven't even bothered with any crazy stuff like OOT hairs :P
    I think maybe hairs will need to be weight painted a lot to work, gonna try that next lol.I have been waiting for native DS dynamic hair and cloth forever now, this is very exciting times :)

Post edited by TheKD on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Well this is pretty exciting stuff, in spite of the 90's Saturday morning cartoon inspired name. FEEL THE POWER OF THE DEEEEFORCE! *cue cheesy 90's theme song*

But I think I will wait for some of the kinks to get worked out. If a 980ti gets blown up by this, then my 970 with its "pitiful" 4 GB will get murdered hard. I have a feeling DForce is going to be rough on older hardware, even very high end stuff.

My 1070 has no problem blowing up meshes so far lol. I should probably get around to actually using it on clothes instead of hair lol.

• TheKD said:

Hair is going to be hit and puff for a bit yet, as it's not officially supported.

I'm having more success with hair than clothes.

OK, this is kinda OT, but is there any way to get decimator to work with the beta? I wanted to try to decimate stuff for an experiment, but it will only install to my regular daz studio. There is no option to pick where to install it on the installer unfortunately. It just does it's thing on its own.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to work on my laptop at all.  I have no idea how to figure out which driver to load, and the last one caused serious errors. I'm really sad that it won't work but I will at least be able to use it on the PC which is my main rendering computer.  I will just have to use VWD on the laptop as that works fine on this machine.  Bummer though, because from what I've seen so far and the little bit I've been able to try out on the pc is just amazing.  Of course, you guys would release this the one weekend I'm out of town and on the laptop lol. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    TheKD said:

That's because your hair isn't hair hair but like toon hair right? :) 

Personally I'm having more luck with clothing, but then again I've only tested about 5 hairs so far. 

edited October 2017

I'd be interested to know if anyone is having any success draping store-bought garments? I've been able to drape a couple of dresses without an explosion but they were both freebies and were of very simple design (a simple mesh with nothing attached like laces, buttons, cuffs or belts). I was getting quite encouraged yesterday with those successes but I got carried away and updated the beta version to .101 which seems to have made things worse again.

This is the result of simple drape of the DAZ supplied dForce compatible Bardot outfit on a G3F character. Apart from the character not being G8 (I don't use G8), I followed the DAZ video example for the simulation.

Capture.JPG
    1028 x 1020 - 113K
    Post edited by marble on
  •  

That's because your hair isn't hair hair but like toon hair right? :) 

Personally I'm having more luck with clothing, but then again I've only tested about 5 hairs so far. 

Well, that and I'm studying the mesh. I know that if there's too much to the hair it's probably going to be a problem. This dynamic engine makes my computer run very very hot, so I'm watching all sorts of corners here.

But with the clothing I've tried outfit after outfit repeatedly. I think the mesh is clean and something happens anyway.

I'm not kidding you. I tell the outfit to shrink a bit - the documentation DOES say you can do that - and instead it explodes in weird bubbles and strange forms.

But mostly I just can't get anything to stay together when it *does* work.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064
    edited October 2017

I'm running about 50-50 on existing outfits. And some that fail are undoubtably fixable, I just haven't got to that point yet. Outfits with pleats tend to blow up; some longer skirts and dresses work just fine, others disintegrate into a pile of goo. My sample set is a bit simplistic because I've avoided buying longer outfits that didn't include sit morphs up to this point.

Post edited by namffuak on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

I'm quite certain moving forward when meshes designed specifically for dForce dynamic draping are available in store end users will find that all PA's have put a great deal of effort into making their garments work beautifully with dForce regardless of whether using quads or tri-meshes.

Yes, this..  I remodeled an underskirt 3 times last week to get it to play the best with its overskirt.  It ended up smallish quads, but it won't always.

• namffuak said:

I'm running about 50-50 on existing outfits. And some that fail are undoubtably fixable, I just haven't got to that point yet. Outfits with pleats tend to blow up; some longer skirts and dresses work just fine, others disintegrate into a pile of goo. My sample set is a bit simplistic because I've avoided buying longer outfits that didn't include sit morphs up to this point.

With pleats, actually, the one or two skirts I've played with worked well. I increased the buckling, as that helps it to keep it's form.

I suspect in my case I'm still stuck "sewing" garments to make them compatible and reworking their meshes. I'm not too terribly broke up over this. Everyone keeps mentioning new content in hopeful tones. Meanwhile over here in my village, I still work with Aiko 3 and Kioki on purpose. LOL

But interestingly the Genesis clothing I've tried to convert also had the scariest errors. Legacy using subD seems to work well here.

TheKD said:

really--how r u getting hair to work...can u do  a tut..?

edited October 2017
    wolf359 said:

Hi,  A few questions if I may.

Has anyone created any actual locomotion  figure animations with this??
    (like this video below)

Also is there a wind option??

Can a simulation be baked  to morphs and exported as an MDD file using 
    the MDD exporter in the full animate 2 plugin??

Thanks all.

I created this animation  with Dforce -- also  hard link:

Post edited by Luv Lee on

This is a game changer for me. I've used VWD extensively for animations, but often get frustrated by it's touchy memory problems,
    I did a quick animation using a Gen 08 figure that I ran through Mixamo ( when mixamo worked right )  A scene like this in VWD would take a few hours. This took me 6 minutes!!!
    The other is Gen 2. The dress doesn't fit very well because this is the fbx from mixamo not a gen 2 figure so it won't autofit correctly. So far, out of the box, I think the results are great. 

[youtube]

Heck yeah baby! I am so stoked--and proudly showing off what I did and in only a  few hours ...

VIDEO LINK HERE TOO

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited October 2017

new to me you can turn loop on with vimeo vids (right click options)

this is usefull with short clips

so you do not get the next vid on vimeo automatically

Post edited by Ruphuss on
    Ruphuss said:

new to me you can turn loop on with vimeo vids (right click options)

this is usefull with short clips

so you do not get the next vid on vimeo automatically

Oh hey thanks for the heads up

• Has anyone come up with a workaround for using meshes where all the parts aren't welded together (straps, collars, pockets, etc.)?