Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108

I've uploaded a set of scene files to sharecg that provide dForce settings for some of my outfits.  I set up as scene files so that each can act as a mini tutorial!  Just unzip and place the folder in your Daz Library Scene folder. Enjoy playing with dForce!

https://www.sharecg.com/v/89600/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Daz-Studio-dForce-settings_Aave-Nainen

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited October 2017
    Chohole said:
    Mada said:

I've been dorking around with dForce since Tuesday, and I simply must comment on the "dForce - Start Here" guide.

This is what documentation ought to look like!  Specifically with respect to what the parameters are, what they are intended to do, and what happens when you change the value in a particular direction.  Nice job!

Have to agree with this...it's very nicely done. I thought it was a shame it was a closed thread as it would have been nice to thank  RBTWhiz for his info in the thread. It's great info and really well done and comprehensive. I just hope he sees the thank you here!

sorry about the incorrect quote but I can't seem to get rid of that part by backspacing...

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • I've uploaded a set of scene files to sharecg that provide dForce settings for some of my outfits.  I set up as scene files so that each can act as a mini tutorial!  Just unzip and place the folder in your Daz Library Scene folder. Enjoy playing with dForce!

https://www.sharecg.com/v/89600/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Daz-Studio-dForce-settings_Aave-Nainen

Excellent! Thank you! I know I'll be checking them out when I get done with this thing here...

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited October 2017

ARgh! I got an error in simulationi and now it won't get past the splash page. It's stuck at "logging in". Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeee..... because I was ready to render some soft body dynamics for you....................eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

EDIT: Thank goodness nevermind. Computer said it was the DAZ server? It's been acting weird in the past 2 days. I guess Dforce is just that popular.

Post edited by spearcarrier on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited October 2017
    Quasar said:

I've been using the Current Frame option - I don't know how to set up an animation timeline. Is there a quick (and easy to follow) tutorial on how to set up a timeline?

Open the timeline pane. (It's docked at the bottom on DS but you can also go to Windows>Pane>Timeline if you have turned it off.)

The yellow arrow on the timeline should be at zero. This is where you want to have your figure in the default pose or some starting pose of your choice. Then click the key icon with the + symbol on it. Now, click on frame 15 to move the yellow arrow there. This is where you put your figure in the end pose you want. Once the figure is in place, click the key icon with the + symbol again. You will now see a little black dot below frame zero and frame 15. These are the start and ending keyframes of your animation. If you hit play, you should see your animation take place from frame zero to 15. The last 15 frames of your animation will be for the cloth to settle. The timeline will be set to 30 frames per second by default so your animation will all play in one second but that's OK for a draping animation.

If you need to, you can increase the "Total" number of frames and you can add or subtract keyframes at any point you want to alter the animation. You can also adjust the "FPS" to slow the animation down or speed it up.

Before starting the draping simulation, go to Simulation Settings and change "Frames To Animate" to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range)". That should be all you need to start the simulation.

Oh, thank you, Quasar! :) I'm really liking the draping difference!

This one is the "Current Frame" render:

This one is the Timeline render:

To me the Timeline render looks more natural to me, like she's walking, vs the Current Frame one looks like she's just standing there and (to me) looks a little more "artificially posed" like something you'd see in a fashion magazine. Both are lovely drapes, but to me the Timeline one looks more like real-world draping. Just my opinion. :) I think I'll be using the Timeline method from now on. 

Thanks, Quasar! :) One more question - How do you clear the timeline to set it up for another pose?

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,869
    edited October 2017

I prefer the timeline too :) To clear the timeline you use edit -> Figure -> Clear Animation -> Clear figure Pose

I love to see everyone so excited about dForce - its been a hard secret to keep lol

Post edited by Mada on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    Quasar said:

I've been using the Current Frame option - I don't know how to set up an animation timeline. Is there a quick (and easy to follow) tutorial on how to set up a timeline?

Open the timeline pane. (It's docked at the bottom on DS but you can also go to Windows>Pane>Timeline if you have turned it off.)

The yellow arrow on the timeline should be at zero. This is where you want to have your figure in the default pose or some starting pose of your choice. Then click the key icon with the + symbol on it. Now, click on frame 15 to move the yellow arrow there. This is where you put your figure in the end pose you want. Once the figure is in place, click the key icon with the + symbol again. You will now see a little black dot below frame zero and frame 15. These are the start and ending keyframes of your animation. If you hit play, you should see your animation take place from frame zero to 15. The last 15 frames of your animation will be for the cloth to settle. The timeline will be set to 30 frames per second by default so your animation will all play in one second but that's OK for a draping animation.

If you need to, you can increase the "Total" number of frames and you can add or subtract keyframes at any point you want to alter the animation. You can also adjust the "FPS" to slow the animation down or speed it up.

Before starting the draping simulation, go to Simulation Settings and change "Frames To Animate" to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range)". That should be all you need to start the simulation.

To me the Timeline render looks more natural to me, like she's walking, vs the Current Frame one looks like she's just standing there and (to me) looks a little more "artificially posed" like something you'd see in a fashion magazine. Both are lovely drapes, but to me the Timeline one looks more like real-world draping. Just my opinion. :) I think I'll be using the Timeline method from now on. 

Thanks, Quasar! :) One more question - How do you clear the timeline to set it up for another pose?

What I've been doing (but I may be wrong) is just changing the pose without clearing the previous. For example, I have the normal T- (or A-) Pose at Frame 0 and a walking pose at Frame 15 (I usually have 30 fromes in total so that the pose can "settle" after reaching Frame 15). Then for the next pose I just change the pose at Frame 15 (perhaps to a kneeling pose) and run the simulation again. Sometimes though, there seems to be a memory problem and the whole thing slows down. That seems to depend on the clothing you use.

edited October 2017
    marble said:

After driver update I tried another dress - a very simple freebie as can be seen attached. I used the animated drape and it ran for a few frames before deciding to explode. The second time I tried it ran for even fewer frames before exploding.

Try turning the Self Collide to Off (in the clothing item's Surfaces Tab) and see if that helps. :)

I did as you suggest and also reduced the bend stiffness somewhat. I seem to be having a little more success with the dress that was exploding yesterday. Here my latest effort:

GaoDan Dress.png
    1200 x 1200 - 793K
    Post edited by marble on
    Mada said:

I prefer the timeline too :) To clear the timeline you use edit -> Figure -> Clear Animation -> Clear figure.

I love to see everyone so excited about dForce - its been a hard secret to keep lol

Thank you, Mada. :)

And I'll bet! I think that's the type of secret one would want to shout out from the rooftops! Dforce is a total game changer - I love it! :)

marble said:
    Quasar said:

What I've been doing (but I may be wrong) is just changing the pose without clearing the previous. For example, I have the normal T- (or A-) Pose at Frame 0 and a walking pose at Frame 15 (I usually have 30 fromes in total so that the pose can "settle" after reaching Frame 15). Then for the next pose I just change the pose at Frame 15 (perhaps to a kneeling pose) and run the simulation again. Sometimes though, there seems to be a memory problem and the whole thing slows down. That seems to depend on the clothing you use.

For some reason just changing the pose ends up with two poses on my timeline, maybe I did it wrong? I'll try Mada's suggestion of Edit >> Figure >> Clear Animation >> Clear Figure -and see if that helps. :)

edited October 2017
    marble said:
    marble said:

After driver update I tried another dress - a very simple freebie as can be seen attached. I used the animated drape and it ran for a few frames before deciding to explode. The second time I tried it ran for even fewer frames before exploding.

Try turning the Self Collide to Off (in the clothing item's Surfaces Tab) and see if that helps. :)

I did as you suggest and also reduced the bend stiffness somewhat. I seem to be having a little more success with the dress that was exploding yesterday. Here my latest effort:

Looks good! :D I find that turning off "self collide" is kind of hit and miss. Sometimes it keeps things from exploding and sometimes it doesn't. lol Seems like it helps more often than not though, so I tend to turn it off often. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    marble said:
    Quasar said:

For some reason just changing the pose ends up with two poses on my timeline, maybe I did it wrong? I'll try Mada's suggestion of Edit >> Figure >> Clear Animation >> Clear Figure -and see if that helps. :)

I should probably use Mada's method too - that seems to be the clean way to do it.

• When in weight mapping, select the geometry, click with right mouse button on the screen to get a menu and from the menu select Weight Editing - Fill Selected. A small window will pop up to set the weight (set it to 0) and click accept. That should remove all the weight from selected geometry.

That did the trick! Thanks!

• mikmodmikmod Posts: 65
    edited October 2017

It seems that basket outfit for G3M causes funny disappearances once dForce is applied to these clothes ^_^

Update: it seems these clothes are created the way to hide ankles and whole middle of the body, once the cloth is fit to it.

basket.jpg
    865 x 865 - 254K
    Post edited by mikmod on
  • maxikg said:

It seems that basket outfit for G3M causes funny disappearances once dForce is applied to these clothes ^_^

The shorts might be set up to automatically hide the portion of the body underneath them, which could cause this.

• mikmodmikmod Posts: 65
    edited October 2017
    maxikg said:

The shorts might be set up to automatically hide the portion of the body underneath them, which could cause this.

Yes, it seems they are created that way, but how to prevent that? Surfaces in Geometry Editor don't seem to be hidden... Ops, I'm going out of topic with this - apologies!

Post edited by mikmod on
  • I've been working hard on creating a short walking sequence this whole time.

I've discovered that if I try to do one item at a time (my computer can't handle more than one right now) I'll get the drape of one but lose the other. I even turned on "freeze simulation". I had to leave my computer draping overnight for the last bit - a simple hair by Littlefox. The more drapes I have the slower my computer got.

Also, the skirt the character is wearing. I understand about friction and not letting the item go through things and leave space between things when draping... but when she moves and her skirt flies UP it hits her arm. And the problem is there all over again when in my mind it should just collide gracefully and fall back down. Not stick. I'll try turning Aiko 3 into a static surface to see if there's a difference with that.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Pendraia said:
    Chohole said:
    Mada said:

I've been dorking around with dForce since Tuesday, and I simply must comment on the "dForce - Start Here" guide.

This is what documentation ought to look like!  Specifically with respect to what the parameters are, what they are intended to do, and what happens when you change the value in a particular direction.  Nice job!

Have to agree with this...it's very nicely done. I thought it was a shame it was a closed thread as it would have been nice to thank  RBTWhiz for his info in the thread. It's great info and really well done and comprehensive. I just hope he sees the thank you here!

sorry about the incorrect quote but I can't seem to get rid of that part by backspacing...

rbtwhiz said

"He" is always watching. You're welcome. It's nice to see some occasional  positivity/gratitude. Thank you for that.

-----

The dForce - Start Here thread is closed so that it stays on topic and isn't overshadowed by the seemingly inevitable tangent discussions. It is already a lot of information to digest, and it seems that folks read less of the earlier posts im a thread the longer that thread becomes. This thread is a prime example. I did not want that to happen with the Start Here thread.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited October 2017

Here is my first drape. A set of clothing I just couldn't get rigged correctly called "Future Couture" This is the long gown from the set. It's got basic rigging and that's all you really need. I applied a quick shader and then added in some metallic flakes via the shader system in DAZ Studio to add some bling. This is my Marilyn morph for Dawn from Hivewire and one of my poses and she's wearing my soon to be released Tina Skin. I had with the dress above was the mesh around the breast area drooped. I'm sure there is a work around but didn't like that but one of the great things is that you have all the settings for draping in the Surfaces area where you apply textures so you just turn down the drape strength if you have your cloth with multiple surfaces, as I love to do with my clothing pieces so you have allot more control over the sections. So the bodice is turned down to 25 % and the top sleeves and collar are turned down to 13% while the skirt is full on 100%.... worked out allot better. There was a strange area in the buttocks area but it's not visible for this particular render.

First drap - Marilyn - Future Dress.jpg
    769 x 1000 - 348K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited October 2017

Now this is a problem that I feel should be avoidable. (Image attached.)

The suit is sticking to her arm. I know we're supposed to leave room for collision, but there are just some poses where this isn't going to be feasible. Animating a walk is one of them.

I have the batrhing suit's friction to average, it's dynamic strength to .25. The rest I believe is default. (I don't know because DAZ just crashed again so I can't go look.)

I need it to have some friction on it so it will do what I'm trying to do. I can't have it just be conforming because of what I'm trying to do. (Which is working btw, aside from this.)

I know I could use the *** weight map editor to just edit those particular armpits maybe. (Everyone is praising the documentation, rightfully so. I wish it had more layman's terms. And I'm edumacated and everything. I'm tired of reading and re-reading trying to get it so I've resorted to experimenting and wasting work days to get this. LOL)

I hesitate to edit the weight map because the fact is not every situation is going to work for that answer either. Especially in animation, which is what I do even with just draping for a still image. But mostly when I animate it's for the Mohegan Language project.

So I tried turning off that part of her arm in the scene tab because I'd noticed when something is turned off, Dforce ignores it.

That really confused Dforce. It didn't know what to do with an object that was both turned on and turned off. Things went weird.

I wish I could select an area and mark it as "ignore this" with the weight map editor. Then when the scene changed I could simply unmark things without having to edit my object... which gets saved once I have it working. It would not only solve all sorts of problems, it would put Dforce REALLY above other things. Unless other things have that feature I guess.

*goes back to loading DAZ yet AGAIN....*

Image1.jpg
    156 x 148 - 29K
    Post edited by spearcarrier on
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 574

Nice dress @RAMWolff. It's so great to have dynamics for these type of things now.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

Wow, this is a nice surprise after taking a hiatus with work and all :D

Can anyone at DAZ comment on what will happen to the old Optitex and Dynamic Cloth products?

• Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229
    edited October 2017
    drzap said:

I'm so glad for the DAZ still image folks.  For you, this is definitely a "knock your socks off" feature.  I'm not as stoked because every 3D program has cloth simulation.  But I just found out that they seemed to have fixed the BVH import (without advertising it) and that's what I wanted.   I wonder if Daz will include a script that can identify unsuitable meshes (like self-intersections, holes, etc.).  This is what I use to prequalify a mesh before I set it up for a simulation.  It will save a lot of time.  Even better if the script can help fix the mesh.  And I'm also wondering if this will boot a golden age of clothing design for Daz Studio.  Skimpware out, real clothes in?  I hope so.

I am an animator, so yeah I am stoked. I like doing fantasy and period  peices so stiff clothing was just not great time or keyframe wise. I like using DAZ so I am glad I won't have to pipleine to use a dynamics simulator.  For me its shaved hours of work so  I can  spend more time doing things I enjoy outside of animatin'. I mean, I am a relative minanthropic hermit already but extra time will force me to show face...

Post edited by Luv Lee on

My first drape. 

Quasar said:

Nice dress @RAMWolff. It's so great to have dynamics for these type of things now.

Thanks so much!  IT's part of a set.  I think I saw that folks had layers so I may try next to layer all the bits and pieces and see what happens.  If it works I'll be so happy! 

mtl1 said:

Can anyone at DAZ comment on what will happen to the old Optitex and Dynamic Cloth products?

Well with VWD you can use that to drape with no issue so I'm  sure  this new system should work fine with those types of items. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

I like being able to quickly fix things like 'floating tube sleeves' or glued on bra/swimsuit/dress straps

edited October 2017
    drzap said:

I'm so glad for the DAZ still image folks.  For you, this is definitely a "knock your socks off" feature.  I'm not as stoked because every 3D program has cloth simulation.  But I just found out that they seemed to have fixed the BVH import (without advertising it) and that's what I wanted.   I wonder if Daz will include a script that can identify unsuitable meshes (like self-intersections, holes, etc.).  This is what I use to prequalify a mesh before I set it up for a simulation.  It will save a lot of time.  Even better if the script can help fix the mesh.  And I'm also wondering if this will boot a golden age of clothing design for Daz Studio.  Skimpware out, real clothes in?  I hope so.

Here's a small animated vid I was able to do of a couple of sims--time producion cut in half, even after pulling the hair into VWD to stimulate. 

SOFT VIDEO LINK HERE:  -->   and hard link here  --

Attached still from video as I am not sure how to embded vidoes  

Anywayz, I am in love, can't wait till they hit hair maybe it will sliver more time. Not working so great on earrings and bracelets  though--can't seem to get the right "mix" going...if someone had mastered  that I hope they can do a tut on it :-)

green030.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 870K
    Post edited by Luv Lee on
    Quasar said:

Beautiful--glad to see I am not the only one playing with the DForce baby like a fiend! SO much fun!

marble said:
    marble said:

Oh that is very nice--and the drape makes the cloth look a bit thicker as one might expect...

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    RAMWolff said:
    mtl1 said:

Well with VWD you can use that to drape with no issue so I'm  sure  this new system should work fine with those types of items. 

That is true.

Man, my timing couldn't be any worse -- I recently discovered a way to get old Optitex cloth to work nicely on any figure without 3rd party tools too ;P