Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited October 2017

And yes, making parts jiggle. I came up with a plan. I got it to work. I am satisifed. I had some cat ears flop for a bit, and of course the standard other bits that well... they're conveniently already loaded so eh... so now I'm satisfied. My plan is limited but it's a new goal to work for, being as I no longer have to work with making hair do the trick. LOL.

Tutorial please! :D

Have no fear! It's coming. I admit I'm still up simply because there's this onnneee last tweak to try...

I'll go ahead and tell you with the cat ears, all I did was set their dynamic influence to be red only at the tips and shade down about 3/4 of the way with the base not selected at all. Then I parented them to Anime Doll's head and had her walk. I made sure damping was about .64 and Buckling stiffness was over 50%. The B stiffness is what controls the item keeping it's shape; the higher the more the shape - and I bless those DAz programmer folks for this so so so much.

With the body parts I had to use a different tactic and am still discovering bits and bobs. I did start another thread about it, being as I'm leery about hijacking a thread.

When I add the dynamic module in weight mapping, it turns the entire item red. Isn't there some way to have it just add without doing that? Unpainting entire objects is a forking pain.

Post edited by spearcarrier on
  • ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited October 2017

And yes, making parts jiggle. I came up with a plan. I got it to work. I am satisifed. I had some cat ears flop for a bit, and of course the standard other bits that well... they're conveniently already loaded so eh... so now I'm satisfied. My plan is limited but it's a new goal to work for, being as I no longer have to work with making hair do the trick. LOL.

Tutorial please! :D

Have no fear! It's coming. I admit I'm still up simply because there's this onnneee last tweak to try...

I'll go ahead and tell you with the cat ears, all I did was set their dynamic influence to be red only at the tips and shade down about 3/4 of the way with the base not selected at all. Then I parented them to Anime Doll's head and had her walk. I made sure damping was about .64 and Buckling stiffness was over 50%. The B stiffness is what controls the item keeping it's shape; the higher the more the shape - and I bless those DAz programmer folks for this so so so much.

With the body parts I had to use a different tactic and am still discovering bits and bobs. I did start another thread about it, being as I'm leery about hijacking a thread.

When I add the dynamic module in weight mapping, it turns the entire item red. Isn't there some way to have it just add without doing that? Unpainting entire objects is a forking pain.

Just select all geometry and fill it with weight 0.

Ah, dforce. I find that it works much better with quads than triangles for some reason.

Post edited by ben98120000 on
  •  

Just select all geometry and fill it with weight 0.

Ah, dforce. I find that it works much better with quads than triangles for some reason.

Well that made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Just where do I fill that in at exactly? There's no dialogue in which I can click and enter a number, turn a dial.... Sure I can select using the geometry tool in both weight mapping and the geometry editor. And that's the end of that... and I now officially hate the weight map editor even MORE. Oh, the hate is burning. It's seething. I have nothing but curse words now.

I just spent my evening making Kioki's front parts dynamic. They'll be dynamic! Uh. you have to make sure there's a line that's not dynamic and you get a ridge around it. Back to experimenting with my other way.

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited October 2017

When in weight mapping, select the geometry, click with right mouse button on the screen to get a menu and from the menu select Weight Editing - Fill Selected. A small window will pop up to set the weight (set it to 0) and click accept. That should remove all the weight from selected geometry.

Post edited by ben98120000 on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited October 2017

a little clip testing easy dforce functions on my vimeo channel

turn loop on with right click because its very short

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited October 2017
    Ruphuss said:

a little clip testing easy dforce functions on my vimeo channel

For some reason, the vimeo link doesn't show up in your post. However, it does show in the reply text. Very odd.

https://vimeo.com/238037542

Post edited by marble on
  • AlexseyAlexsey Posts: 2
    edited October 2017

Wow, awesome! I'm sorry if this has been asked before but is there any plans to add soft body simulation too?

Post edited by Alexsey on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,988
    Alexsey said:

Wow, awesome! I'm sorry if this has been asked before but is there any plans to add soft body simulation too?

For now, they are trying to get the cloth sim working, but you can already use the dForce system to simulate soft body parts, as you can apply the modifier to everything. If you use it in connection with a dForce weight map, you can probably simulate  all types of squish and squash, but at the moment, chances are you'll cause a crash or body explosion... wink

There are some examples of "molten Genesis" earlier in this thread.

edited October 2017

playing with the Daz dforce Essentials Flag Szene

the blurryness may come from slowing down the clip so it fits to the music

music by me as always

turn loop on with right click because its very short

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • BeeMKay said:
    Alexsey said:

For now, they are trying to get the cloth sim working, but you can already use the dForce system to simulate soft body parts, as you can apply the modifier to everything. If you use it in connection with a dForce weight map, you can probably simulate  all types of squish and squash, but at the moment, chances are you'll cause a crash or body explosion... wink

There are some examples of "molten Genesis" earlier in this thread.

Saw some of the "melted bodies" and it reminded me of the film The Frightners after the reaper guy finished with a ghost.
  • Hey, question for any Mac users: My graphics card is an AMD Radeon R9 M380. Do I need to update the driver and if so, how? 

Otherwise, dForce continues to work fairly well, albeit very slowly. Mind, I have about 32GB of RAM, so I'm not sure what I could do to help speed it up.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    Ruphuss said:

playing with the Daz dforce Essentials Flag Szene

the blurryness may come from slowing down the clip so it fits to the music

music by me as always

Not sure why your links are not showing up but here is a link to your channel

https://vimeo.com/user12356486

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    marble said:

So far: multiple crashes and 3 out of the four garments I have tried ended up exploding. I did select clothes without buttons, belts, pockets, laces or any other add-ons but still not much joy. The one that worked was a simple skirt with a single surface. Even with that simple skirt, the second attempt at a simulation without a restart of DAZ Studio in between attempts resulted in a really slow progress bar which, when I tried to cancel it, caused another crash. First impressions not good.

Hmmm....odd. Most of the things I've tried have not exploded. Have you tried setting the Bend Stiffness lower on those that have exploded?

Laurie

thanks to Marble and Ramwolff

for me it just shows up normal as video and its not privat on Vimeo and can be embedded everywhere

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited October 2017

How is the best way to get a figure sitting on a chair etc? Does the clothing follow OK or not? Not had much success so far.

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

OK.  I've installed the beta.  I've tried to follow Mada's tutorial on getting anything dynamic but Not seeing her settings.  I select the dress I made for Dawn and it's not showing up in the Simulation Settings area and so there are not the same options showing in the fly out menu to add in simulation settings as she's showing in the youTube vid.  What to do?

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited October 2017
    Wilmap said:

How is the best way to get a figure sitting on a chair etc? Does the clothing follow OK or not? Not had much success so far.

I find that the best way for this scenario is to use animated draping . In the first step I pose just the figure into the sitting pose. Then I move in the chair (or whatever) from behind and slide it under the figure. It is crucial to make sure that there are no contacts between figure and object to leave space for the cloth to drape. Otherwise it explodes. Set everything up with the naked figure before adding cloth.

Ciao

TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    RAMWolff said:

OK.  I've installed the beta.  I've tried to follow Mada's tutorial on getting anything dynamic but Not seeing her settings.  I select the dress I made for Dawn and it's not showing up in the Simulation Settings area and so there are not the same options showing in the fly out menu to add in simulation settings as she's showing in the youTube vid.  What to do?

Select the dress and open the Simulation tab, right click on the tab label or the little arrow and lines, under dforce you have a few options and I use

Add dforce Modifier- Dynamic surface

I don't have the same choices as Mada's video either and therefore found it a bit confusing.

• stuthursostuthurso Posts: 192
    thd777 said:
    Wilmap said:

I find that the best way for this scenario is to use animated draping . In the first step I pose just the figure into the sitting pose. Then I move in the chair (or whatever) from behind and slide it under the figure. It is crucial to make sure that there are no contacts between figure and object to leave space for the cloth to drape. Otherwise it explodes. Set everything up with the naked figure before adding cloth.

Ciao

TD

I use the animated draping as well but what I do is move the timeline to frame 20 of a 30 frame timeline where I position the figure on the chair and move both back around -50 to -60 on z Translate.  Then I take the timeline back to frame 0 and leaving the chair where it is just zero the figure pose so now it's standing in front of the chair and when you play the timeline it should look like your figure is falling back into the chair.  I have to make sure that "Start Bones from Memorised Pose" is off before I run the simulation and make sure I have enough frames after the figure sits so the clothes can settle but I find it works quite well doing it that way.  Of course there's no 'right' way to do it, just what works for you (and I must try TD's method myself smiley).  This is the sort of thing I get with the 'falling back' method, it's G8F using SynfulMindz's 'Be a Queen' throne and pose and Wendy's Vest Top and Skirt for G8 (with tweaks made to the stiffness and stretchiness for a better drape).  

Sit test.png
    564 x 505 - 145K
  • Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    Chohole said:
    Mada said:

Did you see this one? 

Yeah, I watched it. It shows how to do it with the already set up dress that comes with the dforce essentials. I had no problem using it with dress it comes with:

However it doesn't tell how to turn other clothing into dforce compliant (or whatever it's called) material. I tried to follow one of your videos but you have different options than I do. For instance when you went under your dforce settings, on your video it shows "Add dForce modifier and surface simulation settings".  But it doesn't give me that option.

Have you read the "dForce - Start Here" (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081) thread? Particularly the first post, and more specifically the response to the "How do I get started?" (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081#get_started) question. If you do nothing else, pay particular attention to the note at the bottom of that response.

I've been dorking around with dForce since Tuesday, and I simply must comment on the "dForce - Start Here" guide.

This is what documentation ought to look like!  Specifically with respect to what the parameters are, what they are intended to do, and what happens when you change the value in a particular direction.  Nice job!

• lwaveslwaves Posts: 237
    edited October 2017
    j cade said:

well folks...

You can pin and manipulate stuff!!

When I saw this only one word came to mind....

CAPES.

Post edited by lwaves on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    lwaves said:
    j cade said:

well folks...

When I saw this only one word came to mind....

CAPES.

;)

• MadaMada Posts: 1,869
    j cade said:

well folks...

with some definite fiddling

(I might write up a proper tut, but basic idea is:

create some bones, assign a single vertex to those bones, and weight paint that vertex to not be influenced by draping you can then move the bone around and the cloth will follow)

obviously its not as simple as just creating a pin to pul around, but it does give very good control,

Nice! :)

• scorpio said:
    RAMWolff said:

Select the dress and open the Simulation tab, right click on the tab label or the little arrow and lines, under dforce you have a few options and I use

Add dforce Modifier- Dynamic surface

I don't have the same choices as Mada's video either and therefore found it a bit confusing.

I think Mada did the video using an older version of the beta, which is why things are different.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    If you make Star into a collision surface does it still happen?

Yeah, I tried using the "Static Surface" modifier on her and clothes still fall straight through her.

There's something I noticed that might have a bearing on this.  After you apply the dForce modifier (by right-clicking on the tab and navigating to 'dForce->Add dForce Modifier: Static Surface'), there is a group in the Parameters pane called 'Simulation'. Selecting it reveals a parameter, 'Simulation Object Type'.  You might want to check that parameter, to make sure it is set to 'Static Surface'.

After applying the modifier to any object, I double-check that parameter, and it is always set to 'Dynamic Surface' -- even when I apply the Static Surface modifier.

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262
    edited October 2017

Quick test: V7 loves dForce laugh

d058a.jpg
    1083 x 1380 - 437K
    Post edited by nohiznguyen on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Today (it is Saturday morning where I am right now) I've tried again and managed several drapes without a crash or explosion. Having said that, I have not been using the same clothing that I had tried previously. This time I tested a couple of Wilmap's freebies and Wendy, I can foresee a rush on your items coming soon because, so far, they have not crashed or exploded on me. However, I did take some advice given earlier and set all the cloth to Self Collide=Off.

I may get brave later and try some commercial clothing products but I must thank Wendy again for her generous freebies. I'm guessing that some of the old Poser dynamic clothes might work well too and they tend to be quite inexpensive (or free in some cases).

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 574
    edited October 2017

I'm really excited about dForce! However, there are some features I hope they can improve or add to the cloth sims. To start, I hope they can improve its ability to push the cloth out of other meshes wherever there is poke-through. The other dynamic system is really good at this, and it helps a lot with fitting clothing made for other figures.

The ability to adjust shrinking/stretching along just the X or Y axis would be nice as well. I'm not sure how shrinking works with dForce but it seems to shrink wrap the clothing to the figure rather than shrink the clothing itself as an independent object. Because of this, I can't seem to do some of the things I want. For example, using the included Bardot Top, I can't bring the breasts together (or increase cleavage) and bridge the gap between them. It just wraps the cloth around them on all sides, even when I use an animation to move them.

The option to add internal pressure would be handy as well. This works great for things like pillows, couch cushions and mattresses because it keeps them from collapsing but still allows them to deform when colliding against objects. It can also push jackets and such, that are open in the front, outward to give them a sense of movement even in single frame simulations. Another use case would be pillow jackets that are modeled with individual air pockets to make them puffy. 

I'm also hoping for the ability to do multiple simulations on the same cloth item without it resetting the previous simulation(s). This is especially useful when there is some random poke-through noticed at the end of a simulation or when a still frame simulation wasn't long enough and you just need to finish it up without starting from the beginning again. If you want to start from the beginning again, that's what the "Clear" button is for. Having the option to simulate only selected objects is another feature I hope is added. 

Don't get me wrong. Even with my list of wants, I still think this is a great start to a long awaited feature of DS that I've been wishing for. I'm super grateful we finally have it. I'm looking forward to using it and seeing it improve. 

Post edited by Quasar on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I've been using the Current Frame option - I don't know how to set up an animation timeline. Is there a quick (and easy to follow) tutorial on how to set up a timeline?

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 574
    edited October 2017

I've been using the Current Frame option - I don't know how to set up an animation timeline. Is there a quick (and easy to follow) tutorial on how to set up a timeline?

Open the timeline pane. (It's docked at the bottom on DS but you can also go to Windows>Pane>Timeline if you have turned it off.)

The yellow arrow on the timeline should be at zero. This is where you want to have your figure in the default pose or some starting pose of your choice. Then click the key icon with the + symbol on it. Now, click on frame 15 to move the yellow arrow there. This is where you put your figure in the end pose you want. Once the figure is in place, click the key icon with the + symbol again. You will now see a little black dot below frame zero and frame 15. These are the start and ending keyframes of your animation. If you hit play, you should see your animation take place from frame zero to 15. The last 15 frames of your animation will be for the cloth to settle. The timeline will be set to 30 frames per second by default so your animation will all play in one second but that's OK for a draping animation.

If you need to, you can increase the "Total" number of frames and you can add or subtract keyframes at any point you want to alter the animation. You can also adjust the "FPS" to slow the animation down or speed it up.

Before starting the draping simulation, go to Simulation Settings and change "Frames To Animate" to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range)". That should be all you need to start the simulation.

Post edited by Quasar on