Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    BeeMKay said:

Short feedback on my Miss Fisher's Exploding Wardrobe Experience... updating to the Version 110 released a few days ago solved most of the crash and explode problems.

Happily experimenting away now, and I'm getting good results even with Self Collision. In addition, the simulation, which bowed out of the graphiccard before, now runs there very smoothly. Thumbs up from me, well done, DAZzlers! heart

(And I really love Miss Fishers Non-Exploding Wardrobe! smileyheart)

I'm very happy to hear you are having success with this now!

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 577
    sapat said:

Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but how can we set the pose at say frame 15 and then let the sim run for 30+ frames to let the cloth 'settle' like we did in Poser? I've never used the timeline in DS and have no idea how to set up this type of animation in here.

Also, where are the links to the test files ppl were downloading?  Some kind of sample sim with a garment?  I can't find that either? 

And lastly, I really was hoping there was something simple like pins to hold things in place.  I am not a super user and find all this 'painting' to be cumbersome.

thank you.

Quasar said:

Open the timeline pane. (It's docked at the bottom on DS but you can also go to Windows>Pane>Timeline if you have turned it off.)

The yellow arrow on the timeline should be at zero. This is where you want to have your figure in the default pose or some starting pose of your choice. Then click the key icon with the + symbol on it. Now, click on frame 15 to move the yellow arrow there. This is where you put your figure in the end pose you want. Once the figure is in place, click the key icon with the + symbol again. You will now see a little black dot below frame zero and frame 15. These are the start and ending keyframes of your animation. If you hit play, you should see your animation take place from frame zero to 15. The last 15 frames of your animation will be for the cloth to settle. The timeline will be set to 30 frames per second by default so your animation will all play in one second but that's OK for a draping animation.

If you need to, you can increase the "Total" number of frames and you can add or subtract keyframes at any point you want to alter the animation. You can also adjust the "FPS" to slow the animation down or speed it up.

Before starting the draping simulation, go to Simulation Settings and change "Frames To Animate" to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range)". That should be all you need to start the simulation.

For the content you are looking for, search for dForce Starter Essentials in the Daz Instal Manager.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    Quasar said:
    sapat said:

Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but how can we set the pose at say frame 15 and then let the sim run for 30+ frames to let the cloth 'settle' like we did in Poser? I've never used the timeline in DS and have no idea how to set up this type of animation in here.

Also, where are the links to the test files ppl were downloading?  Some kind of sample sim with a garment?  I can't find that either? 

And lastly, I really was hoping there was something simple like pins to hold things in place.  I am not a super user and find all this 'painting' to be cumbersome.

thank you.

Quasar said:

Open the timeline pane. (It's docked at the bottom on DS but you can also go to Windows>Pane>Timeline if you have turned it off.)

The yellow arrow on the timeline should be at zero. This is where you want to have your figure in the default pose or some starting pose of your choice. Then click the key icon with the + symbol on it. Now, click on frame 15 to move the yellow arrow there. This is where you put your figure in the end pose you want. Once the figure is in place, click the key icon with the + symbol again. You will now see a little black dot below frame zero and frame 15. These are the start and ending keyframes of your animation. If you hit play, you should see your animation take place from frame zero to 15. The last 15 frames of your animation will be for the cloth to settle. The timeline will be set to 30 frames per second by default so your animation will all play in one second but that's OK for a draping animation.

If you need to, you can increase the "Total" number of frames and you can add or subtract keyframes at any point you want to alter the animation. You can also adjust the "FPS" to slow the animation down or speed it up.

Before starting the draping simulation, go to Simulation Settings and change "Frames To Animate" to "Animated (Use Timeline Play Range)". That should be all you need to start the simulation.

For the content you are looking for, search for dForce Starter Essentials in the Daz Instal Manager.

Thank you Quasar.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

• What I'm hoping for is some script/function to automatically create a weight map for hair objects, such that one end is at dynamic 0 and then grade over to 100% at some point. That would easily allow the hair to stay anchored and bend rather than flop wildly around the scalp.

.... wouldn't that be keen? But there are some hair objects that this wouldn't do any good with. However it would be a start!

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited October 2017

Up to date drivers for what? This isn't the same as your graphics card drivers, OpenCL is a separate thing altogether. There are different versions to install depending on exactly what hardware's in your computer, so do a Google search on "OpenCL" and look for downloads matching your hardware.

Also note that you must have OpenCL1.2 — the older 1.1 version doesn't work for dForce.

I just found this after I've been trying to find an answer to my problem, which is that my only open CL options are my two video cards in my advanced tab. I'm given to understand (and I could be wrong) that in the advanced tab I MIGHT be able to tell it to use my CPU. Maybe? A littler layman's talk clarity would be much appreciated because I'm not kidding. All official documentation I'm finding so far makes less sense than Madarin. Alhough I admit I did study Mandarin a while.

I know my Google-foo is weak and I can't find things other people find easily... But after updating my card drivers I literally have no clue what I'm supposed to find next!

What I DO see in Google are a bunch of developer forum threads about it... which are all over my head of course.

See the Start Here thread:

Are there any dependencies that I need to be aware of?

Yes, there is. The dForce engine utilizes OpenCL 1.2 to perform simulations. If you do not have a driver already installed that supports at least OpenCL 1.2, you will need to install one. The more recent driver packages from NVIDIA and AMD typically include a suitable driver. In the case of older cards (e.g., GTS 250), the NVIDIA drivers do not support OpenCL 1.2 and so the driver for the CPU must be installed:

Intel GPU/CPU Driver Packages

Intel CPU-only Runtime Packages

You may want to install the CPU driver anyway if you want/need to be able to use your CPU for running simulations.

You know I had posted that BEFORE you'd told me what I needed to know.  And again... I can't follow the documentation. And if I could, I'd be leery about doing it as someone that might get it wrong. I was all confident when I installed Windows 10. The thing not only installed itself - I had to do a "to other computer install" - it also wiped my external drive that contained thousands of dollars worth of stuff INCLUDING the motion capture program I'd went into debt to get and canNOT replace that I was upgrading for. It *also*, because the external drive was linked by dropbox to my second computer, wiped components off the second.

So you'll pardon me if everytime someone points to those instructions if I don't shake my head and say no no no. I have never updated a CPU before. I follow the links, I am on shaky ground, and the answer is a firm NO. LOL

As I said elsewhere, I have what to do now and that's a start. There's hope again! When the hubby gets home I'm going to give him my big brown eyes and hope he's not too tired to help. If he is, it shall have to wait.

Post edited by spearcarrier on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Up to date drivers for what? This isn't the same as your graphics card drivers, OpenCL is a separate thing altogether. There are different versions to install depending on exactly what hardware's in your computer, so do a Google search on "OpenCL" and look for downloads matching your hardware.

Also note that you must have OpenCL1.2 — the older 1.1 version doesn't work for dForce.

I just found this after I've been trying to find an answer to my problem, which is that my only open CL options are my two video cards in my advanced tab.

Two different things — OpenGL drivers are for graphics cards, and you must have a minimum OpenGL version to allow DAZ|Studio to run. OpenCL drivers are to do with parallel processing, and can be for graphics cards or for your CPU. Read the dForce specs carefully and don't mix them up.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

So it sounds like what I really need to install is this  - correct?  My drivers are all up to date on the laptop and there is nothing I can find that will work.  The last try ended in disaster so I am very leary and want to be very sure that this is what's needed and won't screw anything else up. Its really hard to use my laptop now, knowing I can't drape anything with it lol.  I use my laptop fairly frequently so I would really like to find a way to get it to work.  Buying another one is not an option at this point.

Intel CPU-only Runtime Packages

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

So it sounds like what I really need to install is this  - correct?

That's probably it, yes. Just to make absolutely sure, open your Control Panel window and click on the System icon. The first dialog you get should show a lot of basic info about your system, with the Processor type somewhere in the middle (I just checked, and mine shows as an Intel Core i5.)

Okay I have an intel core i7 so I will give that a try tomorrow when I have a bit more time to fiddle.

• Up to date drivers for what? This isn't the same as your graphics card drivers, OpenCL is a separate thing altogether. There are different versions to install depending on exactly what hardware's in your computer, so do a Google search on "OpenCL" and look for downloads matching your hardware.

I just found this after I've been trying to find an answer to my problem, which is that my only open CL options are my two video cards in my advanced tab.

Two different things — OpenGL drivers are for graphics cards, and you must have a minimum OpenGL version to allow DAZ|Studio to run. OpenCL drivers are to do with parallel processing, and can be for graphics cards or for your CPU. Read the dForce specs carefully and don't mix them up.

Not everyone that uses DAZ Studio is a computer guru, so maybe some of what's being said in some of these threads is Greek (or the computer equivalent) to some folks.

• loveitloveit Posts: 62

cant seem  to follow the viedo,its to blurry,is there any step by step written tut!

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

wow! Very cool, I must say!

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited October 2017

Okay, so while the amazing DAZ team surely get ready to hand us soft dynamics next I've been toying with emulating soft body dynamics. I've flopped some cat ears. But jiggly bits proved to be impossible.

But that only makes sense. When you make then dynamic you're telliing them to behave like cloth, not like a bouncing ball.

The attached image is what you get at best: just aclip for modesty's sake though.

So I borrowed from mcasual's genius, as I mentioned in a thread elsewhere, and got to work. And got something finished. Video attached to that as well.

And here is how I did it for folks who wanna know, especially the person who asked for a tutorial.

I created two cone primitives, one named left and one named right. I made sure they had plenty of sides because I would need them.

I found out early on not to make them too big so they're about an inch big. Small is good. It limits movement and helps things be natural and reduces distortion.

I made them dynamic.

I parented them to Kioki's lcollar and rcollar I made sure they were far apart and even different heights so they would collide with each other. DO NOT CROSS THE STREAMS.

I made the bottom of each a rigid follow node. Then I limited that node's movements. Most f the settings I simply froze in place. The X was mostly what I needed so they'd go up and down.

I created deformers, also parented to the lcollar and rcollar. I then manipulated the deformers so they would move the breasts around when moved.

I parented the deformer node to the follow nodes in place, then I made sure their settings were limited to being locked. If you don't do that things will slide in real and painful looking ways.

I also made sure anything I didn't want sliding around was limited, just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Under the surface tab in simulation I limited the simulation strenth to around .6

I also played with other settings, but mostly I made sure buckling was al ittle high and damping was there. I wanted the cones to move smoothly.

I draped.

Method inspired by mcasual.

In the video she's moving a little extremely. If I wnated to change that after draping I'd simply limit the following nodes' movements more. I left it like that so you could see it works, though.

Image1.jpg
    499 x 397 - 117K
    Post edited by spearcarrier on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2017

I finally gave up trying to use dForce on pants for G8M. Didn't matter if it was .94 or .101 beta, the pants just didn't want to play nice. Either they looked like crap, or they exploded. Or a bit of both. So on to other things...

Working on something else, I decided to try draping a dress on G3F. The whole weight map thing frustrated me. For some reason, I couldn't seem to "fill" the weight on anything.

Fast forward... I discovered if an item didn't have any weight, attempting to fill it with "0" weight did nothing. But if I filled it with "100%" weight first, filling it with "0" weight would then show up perfectly red all over, (sounds like an old joke...)

Another thing I discovered was using the Geometry Editor to select areas. Seems obvious to me now. There are even Geometry Editor menu items in the popup menu. But it was a while before I realized I needed to use the Geometry Editor to select all or some of the mesh.

Here's a tip: Use the Geometry Editor Marquis or Lasso mode to select areas of the clothing. You can use the Select by/Deselect by menu items to add to or remove from the selection. Once you've isolated an area, use the fill weight option to give precise weight to the area. I used Summer Maxi Dress for G3F, which has a slip and an overdress. The attached images are viewport captures showing the weight on both. I used the marquis to select the top, midsection, and skirt of both items. For the overdress, I used Deselect by to remove the sleeve polys from the bodice. I set the bodice on both to 50%, the midsection to 25% and the skirt to 75%. On the overdress, I set the weight to 75% as well. While these images are not renders, I think you can see the dress draped very nicely for this simple walking pose.

(This is my first successful drape using dForce. I am still quite clueless, which is why I thought someone else could benefit from the little bit I figured out about using the Geometry Editor along with the Weight Map tool.)

weights on maxi dress.png
    802 x 884 - 292K
    weights on slip underneath.png
    802 x 884 - 205K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,991

Just a note - AMD CPU have their own drivers for OpenCL. They are currently at OpenGL2.0, so if yo have an AMD Processor, you'll need those: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/OpenCL2-Driver.aspx

• Probably been asked before but couldn't find it, can 4.10 beta be installed alongside 4.9 without interfering?
  • Probably been asked before but couldn't find it, can 4.10 beta be installed alongside 4.9 without interfering?

A Beta can be installed alongside a General Release, yes.

• BeeMKay said:

Just a note - AMD CPU have their own drivers for OpenCL. They are currently at OpenGL2.0, so if yo have an AMD Processor, you'll need those: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/OpenCL2-Driver.aspx

Ha ha, NOW someone posts it in plain English. LOL. 

This has been quite the learning experience for me. But I'm glad to have learned something.

The husband couldn't ge tthe bios to update last night, though. (He updated the CPU.) So I wonder, if the bios were updated would things speed up or be the same? With the CPU doing the draping, I'm only noticing a small increase in speed. I am wondering if there are other things I can do to optimize the draping situation.

• The husband couldn't ge tthe bios to update last night, though. (He updated the CPU.) So I wonder, if the bios were updated would things speed up or be the same? With the CPU doing the draping, I'm only noticing a small increase in speed. I am wondering if there are other things I can do to optimize the draping situation.

Yep, add more RAM if the motherboard supports it. Or a better CPU, which may need a new motherboard. But then you are starting to spend money lol.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,872
    edited October 2017

Hula skirt for Victoria 4 on Corina for Genesis 8 Female.

https://www.daz3d.com/corina-for-genesis-8-female

Corina06pic01.jpg
    720 x 1080 - 97K
    Post edited by Artini on
    BeeMKay said:

So this is the one I need then not the other?  The laptop has AMD not Nvidia.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Oh, that's very very nice Artini! 

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

I have a feeling DForce is going to be rough on older hardware, even very high end stuff.

Not necessarily. My laptop specs are in my signature, and draping on GPU works just fine. I haven't yet measured, though, if it's any faster than using the CPU. :)

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Speaking of weight maps -

Is there a way to paint them in an external app and then import?

Speaking of weight maps -

Is there a way to paint them in an external app and then import?

Now wouldn't that be lovely! 

• BeeMKay said:

For AMD yes.

• BeeMKay said:

That's for GPUs, yes, as far as I can see.

• BeeMKay said:

Are you sure that's CPU not GPU? It looks like the latter, and my web searching previously found only people using the Intel drivers on AMD CPUs (not soemthing I am in a position to test).

BeeMKay said:

For AMD yes.

Thank you.  I am determined to get this to work on it lol.  I use my laptop about a third of the time (if we are camping, or if I want to watch a movie my husband isn't interested in seeing lol) and the pc the rest of the time, but once you start using the draping, its very hard to go back to static clothing with handles and be completely satisfied... 

L'Adair said:

I finally gave up trying to use dForce on pants for G8M. Didn't matter if it was .94 or .101 beta, the pants just didn't want to play nice. Either they looked like crap, or they exploded. Or a bit of both. So on to other things...

Working on something else, I decided to try draping a dress on G3F. The whole weight map thing frustrated me. For some reason, I couldn't seem to "fill" the weight on anything.

To get the tool to actually paint the weights onto the item you have to press the p button then hold down the alt button while painting.

I hear ya about that IceDragon when talking about conforming clothing VS dynamic.  My promo artist just turned in his promos for my upcoming packs for Hivewire and there are a couple of pieces of clothing that would have looked SO MUCH BETTER if they had been draped rather than purely conformed.  Oh well... next time!