Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Here's a weird one with Dforce. It started out working fast. Now it's just so slow. Same scene that was fast. Same amount of stuff. Just. slow. We can't figure out what happened. Obviously it's something to do with my computer, but it's a little above us.

Try restarting DS and try again.

• Has anyone else noticed that doing a second sim with the same outfit in the same session causes a slowdown? I had that happen tonight and had to restart the beta to clear it.

Yeah it is handling memory wrong for a lot of us.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    AllenArt said:

@IceDragonArt - It looks like integrated graphics. Use the link below.

@MelanieL - download the Driver Update Utility and see where it gets you

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

This is telling me that everything is up to date.  Any ideas on where to go from here?

Ok, goto this page and download the app. You can use the Portable version, just extract it somewhere and run the GPU_Caps_Viewer.exe inside it. Click on the OpenCL tab and see what version it gives you.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20170801/gpu-caps-viewer-1-36-x-released-with-opengl-4-6-support/

Open GL 3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2559

OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP (851.4) FULL_PROFILE

You need OpenCL 1.2

Laurie

I hate to sound stupid but I'm not sure where to get that.  Is that back to the download I did before that wants me to uninstall my current driver?  And if I do uninstall it, is that going to mess anything else up?

And, the simulation I was running on my pc just crashed to desktop and told me I had a kernel exception and that it recovered.  Do I need to double check this machine as well? It ran the sim I did on it yesterdy just fine.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

And, the simulation I was running on my pc just crashed to desktop and told me I had a kernel exception and that it recovered.  Do I need to double check this machine as well? It ran the sim I did on it yesterdy just fine.

In this case, no. I had the same thing happen and a reboot fixed it.

Laurie

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    AllenArt said:

@IceDragonArt - It looks like integrated graphics. Use the link below.

@MelanieL - download the Driver Update Utility and see where it gets you

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

This is telling me that everything is up to date.  Any ideas on where to go from here?

Ok, goto this page and download the app. You can use the Portable version, just extract it somewhere and run the GPU_Caps_Viewer.exe inside it. Click on the OpenCL tab and see what version it gives you.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20170801/gpu-caps-viewer-1-36-x-released-with-opengl-4-6-support/

Open GL 3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2559

OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP (851.4) FULL_PROFILE

You need OpenCL 1.2

Laurie

I hate to sound stupid but I'm not sure where to get that.  Is that back to the download I did before that wants me to uninstall my current driver?  And if I do uninstall it, is that going to mess anything else up?

I'm not sure where to get or what driver to use for an AMD proc. I don't have any :(. Sorry. I just know you need Open CL 1.2

Laurie

Thanks Laurie.  I will reboot the pc and no worries, I am sure someone will be along at some point.  Its not critical that I do this tonight anyway lol.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I've just downloaded the beta and when I try to run a simulation, DAZ Studio pops up an error saying that the dForce kernels for whatever device I select (CPU, GTX-1070, Intel Graphics, etc,) have not been compiled or need to be recompiled. Is this something that needs to be done and will it affect anything else on my PC if I continue?

• marble said:

I've just downloaded the beta and when I try to run a simulation, DAZ Studio pops up an error saying that the dForce kernels for whatever device I select (CPU, GTX-1070, Intel Graphics, etc,) have not been compiled or need to be recompiled. Is this something that needs to be done and will it affect anything else on my PC if I continue?

Yes it has to be done, let it do it, it doesn't break things.

marble said:

Yes it has to be done, let it do it, it doesn't break things.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577
    marble said:

I have a GTX-1080, and it did the same thing initially. Once I installed the latest driver, though, all was well. Studio 4.10 as a whole seems to depend on bleeding edge drivers. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited October 2017

Thanks Laurie.  I will reboot the pc and no worries, I am sure someone will be along at some point.  Its not critical that I do this tonight anyway lol.

I Googled AMD Drivers and got these: 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU131ObtainGPUDriversAuto.aspx

I don't know if that's what you need, but it's worth a look. ;)

Post edited by 3Diva on

I Googled AMD Drivers and got these: 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU131ObtainGPUDriversAuto.aspx

I don't know if that's what you need, but it's worth a look. ;)

Thanks!  I don't know if its what I need either lol but I will check it out!

So far: multiple crashes and 3 out of the four garments I have tried ended up exploding. I did select clothes without buttons, belts, pockets, laces or any other add-ons but still not much joy. The one that worked was a simple skirt with a single surface. Even with that simple skirt, the second attempt at a simulation without a restart of DAZ Studio in between attempts resulted in a really slow progress bar which, when I tried to cancel it, caused another crash. First impressions not good.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    marble said:

So far: multiple crashes and 3 out of the four garments I have tried ended up exploding. I did select clothes without buttons, belts, pockets, laces or any other add-ons but still not much joy. The one that worked was a simple skirt with a single surface. Even with that simple skirt, the second attempt at a simulation without a restart of DAZ Studio in between attempts resulted in a really slow progress bar which, when I tried to cancel it, caused another crash. First impressions not good.

I had that at first as well, but updating my video card drivers seems to have fixed the crashing. May be worth a try.

Well, the AMD driver I loaded has completely torqued my laptop I keep getting a we shut windows down to protect your system please remove recently loaded blah blah blah.  But I can't get back into it to get rid of it.

Nath said:
    marble said:

I had that at first as well, but updating my video card drivers seems to have fixed the crashing. May be worth a try.

I did update recently but I see there is a later version of the GeForce drivers already. I'll download & update.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    marble said:

That sounds much like my experience, especially the program crash when hitting the 'cancel' button. I haven't had a lot of time to road test dForce though, and at the rate things are going here I imagine all the bugs will be ironed out before I get any. I'm really excited about the direction dForce is taking Studio in, but at the moment it still seems there's some way to go before it's a stable and reliable part of the program.

• TryhardTryhard Posts: 166
    edited October 2017

https://avvesione.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/nekogami_yaoyorozu-08-mayu-happy-eyes-comedy-cute.jpg - My face when Daz introduced  physics engine after all those years.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/db/87/0fdb879917ff6be3574ccae4e01ec9f5.jpg - My face when hearing "dForce complaiant" clothes from store.

http://i.imgur.com/Tdq7Twt.png - My face when finding out dForce modifier that works with customs OBJs

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/light_psychotic_grin_8235.jpg - My face when I managed to copy MMD Importer and have it work with 4.10

Whelp... VWD, MD, D********r it was fun guys. Thanks for the holdover.

Shader Baker and Mocap when Daz?

Post edited by Tryhard on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Well, the AMD driver I loaded has completely torqued my laptop I keep getting a we shut windows down to protect your system please remove recently loaded blah blah blah.  But I can't get back into it to get rid of it.

How about safe mode?

How about safe mode?

I'm trying a start up repair now. I'm going to let it run since its after midnight and I am flying to S Carolina tomorrow.  If it doesn't work I guess am not taking it with me lol.  Hopefully this will work.  I tried to go back to a previous installation but apparently it can't find a restore point.  Which is really odd because I've had this laptop for 8 years and do regular restore points.

After driver update I tried another dress - a very simple freebie as can be seen attached. I used the animated drape and it ran for a few frames before deciding to explode. The second time I tried it ran for even fewer frames before exploding.

zero.JPG
    895 x 997 - 63K
    explode.JPG
    1340 x 1000 - 89K
    edited October 2017
    marble said:

After driver update I tried another dress - a very simple freebie as can be seen attached. I used the animated drape and it ran for a few frames before deciding to explode. The second time I tried it ran for even fewer frames before exploding.

Try turning the Self Collide to Off (in the clothing item's Surfaces Tab) and see if that helps. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited October 2017

Woot got it back by going to the last known working session or some such.

Any ideas why this dress is not flowing over her legs?

Dforce test 2.png
    1563 x 2500 - 7M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • FWIWFWIW Posts: 320

Super excited about this. I've turned down art commissions because I didn't feel I could do them justice without decent dynamic clothing. Personly though I am crossing fingers for the type of physics that will allow my arm flaps, neck waddles, and tummy rolls and such to move properly eventually. 

marble said:

Try turning the Self Collide to Off (in the clothing item's Surfaces Tab) and see if that helps. :)

Seems counter-intutive to me but I'll try that. I can't right now though as I have other things to do. Thanks for the tip.

•  

Try restarting DS and try again.

Well I've restarted it frequently. I've also rebooted several times. I just checked the CL and I'm on the mark with that. It's weird!

Woot got it back by going to the last known working session or some such.

Any ideas why this dress is not flowing over her legs?

Huh... That's odd. Maybe try adding the Static Surface setting to the character.

• marble said:
    marble said:

Seems counter-intutive to me but I'll try that. I can't right now though as I have other things to do. Thanks for the tip.

Oh do come back and let us know if you succeed, though. I've been having similar problems with finding clothes that work. Ironically I've had more success with hair.

And yes, making parts jiggle. I came up with a plan. I got it to work. I am satisifed. I had some cat ears flop for a bit, and of course the standard other bits that well... they're conveniently already loaded so eh... so now I'm satisfied. My plan is limited but it's a new goal to work for, being as I no longer have to work with making hair do the trick. LOL.

marble said:
    marble said:

Oh do come back and let us know if you succeed, though. I've been having similar problems with finding clothes that work. Ironically I've had more success with hair.

And yes, making parts jiggle. I came up with a plan. I got it to work. I am satisifed. I had some cat ears flop for a bit, and of course the standard other bits that well... they're conveniently already loaded so eh... so now I'm satisfied. My plan is limited but it's a new goal to work for, being as I no longer have to work with making hair do the trick. LOL.

Tutorial please! :D