Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• Haruchai said:
    Uthgard said:

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, Singular Blues. I also would like to volunteer as a tester, but more than anything I would encourage you to sell your product even if it's not as perfect as you envisioned it. Add-ons can wait and what you have already done is more than useful enough for the community to pay you back.

Or set up a Kickstarter with a very low threshold so people can fund it's development. I would gladly chip in to pay for the develoment and the use I have had out of the script so far.

That's a good idea. A gofundme might be a better option, since regardless of whether you reach your goal, you still get whatever was raised (unlike with Kickstarter).
  • HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884

A supplementary idea would be to set a certain dollar level and if people pledge that they get the last working version to ‘test’. That would bring in at least some of the people who have visited this thread and been disappointed not have the script available. As it’s a Kickstarter they will know the script is a work in progress but would give them something to work with until development is complete.

Just a thought. 

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited September 2018

Remember, if you want in on getting test files, you need to send me a PM. I've got a solid number of volunteers right now, so I'll be closing the test to anyone who hasn't PM'd by the end of today.

While kickstarter and gofundme are interesting ideas, I A) can't persue them here (it's against the forum rules) and B) poor taxes (bank fees) have wiped out my ability to get internet money. I still have paypal, but no real world accounts to use it with.There's probably some solution that would allow for a fix to that, but I haven't put much thought into that. Gofundme, as far as I know, requires a real bank account and I can't get one of those until I get settled with the fee related issues I have. 

I'm really not doing tis for the money. I mean, it'd be nice to have some, but I need a real, stable income more than I need this to generate profit. I really am doing it because, I can't do much else, and this will give me a way to stay sane.  And make it so I'm doing more than just sitting in a place to avoid the elements. I don't say all that to reject the idea of using a kickstarter type approach, but make note of the fact that actually using them wouldn't be all that easy. Otherwise, I like the ideas.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • Noah LGP said:

Requirement: SY Genesis 8 Clones for Genesis 3

I use that method :

• [Genesis 8] 
      • Checked "Show Hidden Properties" (right clic Parameters tab)
      • G8M figure -> General -> Mesh Resolution, Resolution Level: Base
      • G8M figure -> Hidden -> Clones, Genesis 3 Male: 100%
      • Export OBJ1 (G8M pose)
      • Genesis 3 default pose
      • Export OBJ2 (G3M pose)
      • Genesis 8 default pose
      • Import OBJ1 file
      • Transfer Utility, Source: G8M figure, Target: OBJ1
      • OBJ1 -> Fit to G3M figure
    • [Genesis 3] 
      • G3M figure -> General -> Mesh Resolution, Resolution Level: Base
      • OBJ1 -> Morph Loader Pro -> OBJ2 file, Reverse: Yes
      • OBJ1 -> OBJ2 morph: 100%
      • Genesis 8 default pose
      • Apply the morph that you want to convert
      • G3M figure -> General -> Transforms -> Scale, Scale: 100%
      • Export OBJ3
    • [Genesis 8] 
      • G8M figure -> Morph Loader Pro -> OBJ3 file, Reverse: Yes
      • Adjust Rigging To Shape
      • ERC Freeze (Note: Hidden/Clone/G3M is still at 100% and is used by the new morph)
      • Save Morph Asset

Genesis 3 default pose for Genesis 8 is

• Collar (Left/Right) : Bend = (+/-) 2.20
    • Shoulder Bend : Bend = (+/-) 42.90
    • Thigh Bend : Side-Side = (-/+) 6.0

I follow every step right to the letter.  When I get to the part that says G8M-> Morph Loader Pro-> OBJ3 file, reverse yes, I get a message in the dialog box that says the morph couldn't be made because the geometry doesn't match.  I have tried this several times, reading the instructions over and over again to make sure I have them right, but get the same result.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I have no clue what.

• You probably need to remove the eyelashes figure from the scene before you start the process.

• Thanks, Singular Blues for commenting so quickly.  I just tried that, still no luck

• You can only have one figure visible when you export. The Export Obj function packs everything into a single file, so trying to import that as a morph won't work.

If you made a mistake and left something visible that should not have been, you'll probably need to start over from the begining to make sure you get it right.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited September 2018
    Boorsman said:

I follow every step right to the letter.  When I get to the part that says G8M-> Morph Loader Pro-> OBJ3 file, reverse yes, I get a message in the dialog box that says the morph couldn't be made because the geometry doesn't match.  I have tried this several times, reading the instructions over and over again to make sure I have them right, but get the same result.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I have no clue what.

In my case, it happens when I forgot to set Mesh Resolution, Resolution Level: Base  before to export G8M as an OBJ (OBJ1 and OBJ2).

Morph Loader Pro can't handle a High Res. OBJ.

Note: The target G8M must be Base Res. too. ERC Freeze restore the High Res. state.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
    edited September 2018

I make no promises about what I'll do with script in the end. Building out support for Genesis and Genesis 2 is going to be tricky, me thinks, and I've not even touched the UI design. Basically, I'm putting this out there because I've nothing else to do with my time until get word back from the state, and I did promise I'd have something "in a few days." Well, it's been a few for certain values of few.

Question: Does the script create a detailed morph similar to the original version or a smoothed version like GenX2 ?

• OK, I made sure nothing else is visible whaen I export the OBJ's and made sure both G3M and G8M are at base resolution and I still get the warning that the geometries don't match and the morph couldn't be made. 

• I can't answer that, because I don't know what GenX does, exactly.

The current script should, largely, be a faithful recreation of the original morph (note, HD not included) because it should be generating a nearly 1to1 transfer between vertexes. As the script gains addition figure support, that will not be the case. G3 and G8 share most of their geometry, even cross gender (Male and female don't match perfectly, but it's close).

If I assume you mean will the script creat perfect transfers verse more "ballpark" transfers, the answer is, and must be "ballpark." That's because of the geometry. 

• Boorsman said:

OK, I made sure nothing else is visible whaen I export the OBJ's and made sure both G3M and G8M are at base resolution and I still get the warning that the geometries don't match and the morph couldn't be made. 

One figure.

It has to be one figure.

If you are making sure you only have one figure visible and getting this error, you are probably trying to import a G8 to G3 or G3 to G8 and that also won't work. Not exactly the same geometry.

However, you aren't being very clear as to what it is you are doing, and at this point, I can't begin to see where you are messing up. Reading the instructions I can see that details were omitted, so there's lots of ways to mess up, but I can no longer guess which one you're at. 

Sadly, my internet time is over. I sugesst you start over, and screen shot you whole screen at each step, and paste that here. THat may allow someone else to pinpoint your error. Good luck.

I can't answer that, because I don't know what GenX does, exactly.

The current script should, largely, be a faithful recreation of the original morph (note, HD not included) because it should be generating a nearly 1to1 transfer between vertexes. As the script gains addition figure support, that will not be the case. G3 and G8 share most of their geometry, even cross gender (Male and female don't match perfectly, but it's close).

If I assume you mean will the script creat perfect transfers verse more "ballpark" transfers, the answer is, and must be "ballpark." That's because of the geometry. 

I asked this because even the Redz method with the Transfer Utility is smoothing Kenji 7 body, for example his abs get less details.

edited September 2018
    Boorsman said:

OK, I made sure nothing else is visible whaen I export the OBJ's and made sure both G3M and G8M are at base resolution and I still get the warning that the geometries don't match and the morph couldn't be made. 

Yes, I forgot to tell

1. I load the Genesis 8 Male Dev Load because the Eyelashes aren't load
    2. I hide G3M figure before exporting G8M (OBJ1 and OBJ2)
    3. I hide G3M and G8M figures before exporting G3M wearable (OBJ3)
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited September 2018
    Boorsman said:

Make sure there is only the G8M on Base Level resolution and resolution turned down to zero VISIBLE in the picture. If you zero the figure or load a fresh G8M, it will change those settings so Favorite those items on the Parameters Tab to easily call them up and ensure they are set properly BEFORE you start the process.

Either use the the Genesis 8 Male Dev Load because the Eyelashes aren't loaded OR delete the eye lashes if you must use the standard figure. They are essentially an extra object whcih will throw the vertex count.

Post edited by RKane_1 on
  • Noah LGP said:

I asked this because even the Redz method with the Transfer Utility is smoothing Kenji 7 body, for example his abs get less details.

Fundamentally, both our concepts rely on the same idea, so I suppose one might expect that the results would be the same. But they won't. Redz's method basically dresses on figure in the other. The movement of the vertexes is based on a kind moving average. because G3 and G8 are not exactly the same, the result is not a perfect copy. Some parts of G3 and G8 are very similar to each other. My script relies on making those parts exactly the same, so it should preserve detail in those areas. For the genders, this means the results should be very good for most of the figure. Crossgender, there will be loss of detail in the chest, because this is where they differ most.

That said, because the two models are not exactly the same, there will always be some loss of detail, somewhere. Things like abs should not be an issue (between G3 and G8) because there should be a 1to1 correspondence between the vertexes. 

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    Noah LGP said:

Fundamentally, both our concepts rely on the same idea, so I suppose one might expect that the results would be the same. But they won't. Redz's method basically dresses on figure in the other. The movement of the vertexes is based on a kind moving average. because G3 and G8 are not exactly the same, the result is not a perfect copy. Some parts of G3 and G8 are very similar to each other. My script relies on making those parts exactly the same, so it should preserve detail in those areas. For the genders, this means the results should be very good for most of the figure. Crossgender, there will be loss of detail in the chest, because this is where they differ most.

That said, because the two models are not exactly the same, there will always be some loss of detail, somewhere. Things like abs should not be an issue (between G3 and G8) because there should be a 1to1 correspondence between the vertexes. 

I've been following along, but I thought there was a script to download, or is it just random bits of info scattered over the 56 pages.  I lost track somewhere and just got back into it.  Sorry.

• The script is in closed Alpha. I'm not accepting new testers at this time.

edited September 2018

I know the armpits/shoulders are very different. If you use the G3M clone as a base, it could reduce the number of differences between G3M and G8M ?

• Not really.

It makes a small difference, but to the extentthat it will signficantly reduce what you call smoothing? No. You need to create a morph that aligns all of the "shared" vertexes, (verts that are in the same relative places on each model, in the same relative pattern) exactly, and deals with the verts that the meshes don't share. This is extremely tedious. I know this because that's part of how my script works. I elminated the differences, to greatestpossible extent, anyway.

The script is in closed Alpha. I'm not accepting new testers at this time.

Oh, sorry, didn't know.  I thought it was free early on, but maybe that changed.  LOL, it wasn't an offer to test, sorry.

• It was in public alpha, early on, because I wasn't sure I wanted to sell it. Then stuff happened, and life became difficult. Long story. I'll make it free if it becomes clearly I'll never be able to make it wrthy of sale.

Not really.

It makes a small difference, but to the extentthat it will signficantly reduce what you call smoothing? No. You need to create a morph that aligns all of the "shared" vertexes, (verts that are in the same relative places on each model, in the same relative pattern) exactly, and deals with the verts that the meshes don't share. This is extremely tedious. I know this because that's part of how my script works. I elminated the differences, to greatestpossible extent, anyway.

Thank you for all these answers.

You rock, Singular Blues. Keep up the awesomeness. :)

Rest when ya can't. We understand. :)

• I'm still getting used to this new keyboard. (It's only a little new). Sometimes I don't hit the keys hard enough. At least I hope that's the case. I'd hate to find I replaced on bad keyboard with another.

Anyway ...

I definitely don't mind answering questions. I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous :D

Thanks, Rkane1. I'm doing my best to stay frosty.

• I have a question.  When I save as a morph asset, do I check evertything or just Genesis 8?

Boorsman said:

I have a question.  When I save as a morph asset, do I check evertything or just Genesis 8?

Just the morph you want to save. Otherwise, you are going to be there for a while. The morph is located whereever you have it located in the directory (Most likely "Morph->Morph Loader" if you used Morph Loader Pro)

• Thank you RKane_1.  I finally converted one of my G3M characters to G8M.

Boorsman said:

Thank you RKane_1.  I finally converted one of my G3M characters to G8M.

Awesome! Got any renders yet? We would love to see them and bask in your success. :)

Make sure that the figure can be posed and double check the fingers and eyes especially. That is where a lot of the problems crop up.

It was in public alpha, early on, because I wasn't sure I wanted to sell it. Then stuff happened, and life became difficult. Long story. I'll make it free if it becomes clearly I'll never be able to make it wrthy of sale.

Oh, ok, I didn't know that it had been removed to try and sell it.  Hope your life is back on track now, and thank you.