Morphs from G3 to G8

1151618202171

Comments

  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited June 2017

    Another baby transfer :/

    IMG_7056.PNG
    800 x 1040 - 976K
    IMG_7057.PNG
    800 x 1040 - 983K
    IMG_7058.PNG
    800 x 1040 - 1M
    Post edited by Dkgoose on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,959

    That looks much better

  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited June 2017

    Thanks, lol The figure source is better it's actually baby luna but she doesn't transfer over well and clothes don't fit well but it was interesting doing the trial and error

    Post edited by Dkgoose on
  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

    Here's my chucky doll :)

    IMG_7059.PNG
    800 x 1040 - 1M
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited June 2017

    Problem with V8 Eyelashes Not Following the Morph Transfer

    I made a morph transfer of a G1 face.  Her eyes are shaped differently than V8, and the eyelashes are not following.  How can I fix that?

    Vicky8

    Vicky8 with G1 Lorella the Elf Maiden

    V8 Lashes 01.jpg
    520 x 641 - 98K
    V8 Lashes 02.jpg
    498 x 627 - 95K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    dracorn said:

    Problem with V8 Eyelashes Not Following the Morph Transfer

    I made a morph transfer of a G1 face.  Her eyes are shaped differently than V8, and the eyelashes are not following.  How can I fix that?

    Vicky8

    Vicky8 with G1 Lorella the Elf Maiden

    I'm assuming you adjusted the rigging and performed the ERC freeze as per the tutorial but did you save the morph? I've had this happen when I saved the scene but not the morph.  

    If not, zero G8F, save your morph as a morph asset, then reopen Daz Studio, preferably with a new scene. Load G8F and apply the morph and see if it is now fixed. 

  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,609
    L'Adair said:

    "AutoFollow" is under the parameters menu for each individual morph dial.  So, if you have a whole body morph for a G3 character, or a head morph...etc., you click on the gear shaped "settings" icon within the dial slider.  You should see a menu with "parameter settings" as on of your options.  Click on that and you'll get a new pane with morph properties showing.  There will be a check box for AutoFollow.  If it is not checked, G8 will not shape itself to G3's morph.  Once you've checked the AutoFollow, go back to G8 and set "Fit To" to "none."  Then, redo the "Fit To" to  G3.  Your slider should now affect G8.

    Thank you for that information. I found the Autofollow setting and switched it on and the morphs transfer now.

    There is one slight oddity, when I apply the transferred head morph in G8F it also stretches the shoulders and chest upwards which the original G3F morph did not do, but the head morphs the same as G3F.

    This was addressed... give me a minute to find the post...

    2. There's been some discussion about head morphs and how you have to use the vertex editor in order to save them.  Does that apply to head-only morphs?  Like SickleYield's Faces of Asia, etc.?

    Not sure I can clearly answer the rest of your questions, but this one, I can.

    In a word, yes. Yes it does.

    Basically, G3 and G8 need helper morphs to deal with the way a person should be shaped when they lower their arms vs when they raise them. The T pose requires a lot more help than the A pose, so you end up with slightly different placement of the shoulder areas, even if you line up the bones exactly. This different placement carries through to the morph, even if all you do is a head morph. To get rid of it, on a head morph, you need to exclude the body with facet or vertex selection.

     

    I've had a go at this but I'm getting confused again.

    I found I was using an old version of the Helper file. With the new one the stretching of the chest is not as bad, the shouders go down instead of up and don't seem to distort.

    I tried the method described by Ki-Jen on page 6 of this thread to limit the morph to the head. This worked at first, but when I went on to save it as a morph asset and tried to use that, the stretching and shoulder movement was back again. I did the adjust rigging to shape and erc freeze before saving the morph asset.

    There is also a mention in Redz's tutorial that you can edit your morph dial to put it in a different category but I can't figure out how to do that.

    For now I'll stick with loading the .obj files through Morph Loader Pro as I need them and using Ki-Jen's technique to limit them each time (I found if I tried to re-save the morph after doing this it wouldn't load as morph again).

    Thank you to Redz, Ki-Jen, nicstt, Singular Blues, L'Adair and everyone else who has aadded their help in this thread.

  • L'Adair said:

    "AutoFollow" is under the parameters menu for each individual morph dial.  So, if you have a whole body morph for a G3 character, or a head morph...etc., you click on the gear shaped "settings" icon within the dial slider.  You should see a menu with "parameter settings" as on of your options.  Click on that and you'll get a new pane with morph properties showing.  There will be a check box for AutoFollow.  If it is not checked, G8 will not shape itself to G3's morph.  Once you've checked the AutoFollow, go back to G8 and set "Fit To" to "none."  Then, redo the "Fit To" to  G3.  Your slider should now affect G8.

    Thank you for that information. I found the Autofollow setting and switched it on and the morphs transfer now.

    There is one slight oddity, when I apply the transferred head morph in G8F it also stretches the shoulders and chest upwards which the original G3F morph did not do, but the head morphs the same as G3F.

    This was addressed... give me a minute to find the post...

    2. There's been some discussion about head morphs and how you have to use the vertex editor in order to save them.  Does that apply to head-only morphs?  Like SickleYield's Faces of Asia, etc.?

    Not sure I can clearly answer the rest of your questions, but this one, I can.

    In a word, yes. Yes it does.

    Basically, G3 and G8 need helper morphs to deal with the way a person should be shaped when they lower their arms vs when they raise them. The T pose requires a lot more help than the A pose, so you end up with slightly different placement of the shoulder areas, even if you line up the bones exactly. This different placement carries through to the morph, even if all you do is a head morph. To get rid of it, on a head morph, you need to exclude the body with facet or vertex selection.

     

    I've had a go at this but I'm getting confused again.

    I found I was using an old version of the Helper file. With the new one the stretching of the chest is not as bad, the shouders go down instead of up and don't seem to distort.

    I tried the method described by Ki-Jen on page 6 of this thread to limit the morph to the head. This worked at first, but when I went on to save it as a morph asset and tried to use that, the stretching and shoulder movement was back again. I did the adjust rigging to shape and erc freeze before saving the morph asset.

    There is also a mention in Redz's tutorial that you can edit your morph dial to put it in a different category but I can't figure out how to do that.

    For now I'll stick with loading the .obj files through Morph Loader Pro as I need them and using Ki-Jen's technique to limit them each time (I found if I tried to re-save the morph after doing this it wouldn't load as morph again).

    Thank you to Redz, Ki-Jen, nicstt, Singular Blues, L'Adair and everyone else who has aadded their help in this thread.

    Did you close studio or did you reload the figure.

    If you use most method to edit a moprh, then delete and reload the figure, either the morph will be broken to the point of uselessness, or it will load as it was before the edit. This because Daz is loading the morph from its cache. If a morph is correctly saved,  (Edit morph, finalize all changes, then save) it will load correctly either after completely clearing the scene by loading new, or restarting Studio. And, frankly, restarting takes less time.

    Just deleting the figure and loading a new one will cause unexpected results.

    Of course, if you did restart Studio, then this is not helpful.

  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,609
    L'Adair said:

    "AutoFollow" is under the parameters menu for each individual morph dial.  So, if you have a whole body morph for a G3 character, or a head morph...etc., you click on the gear shaped "settings" icon within the dial slider.  You should see a menu with "parameter settings" as on of your options.  Click on that and you'll get a new pane with morph properties showing.  There will be a check box for AutoFollow.  If it is not checked, G8 will not shape itself to G3's morph.  Once you've checked the AutoFollow, go back to G8 and set "Fit To" to "none."  Then, redo the "Fit To" to  G3.  Your slider should now affect G8.

    Thank you for that information. I found the Autofollow setting and switched it on and the morphs transfer now.

    There is one slight oddity, when I apply the transferred head morph in G8F it also stretches the shoulders and chest upwards which the original G3F morph did not do, but the head morphs the same as G3F.

    This was addressed... give me a minute to find the post...

    2. There's been some discussion about head morphs and how you have to use the vertex editor in order to save them.  Does that apply to head-only morphs?  Like SickleYield's Faces of Asia, etc.?

    Not sure I can clearly answer the rest of your questions, but this one, I can.

    In a word, yes. Yes it does.

    Basically, G3 and G8 need helper morphs to deal with the way a person should be shaped when they lower their arms vs when they raise them. The T pose requires a lot more help than the A pose, so you end up with slightly different placement of the shoulder areas, even if you line up the bones exactly. This different placement carries through to the morph, even if all you do is a head morph. To get rid of it, on a head morph, you need to exclude the body with facet or vertex selection.

     

    I've had a go at this but I'm getting confused again.

    I found I was using an old version of the Helper file. With the new one the stretching of the chest is not as bad, the shouders go down instead of up and don't seem to distort.

    I tried the method described by Ki-Jen on page 6 of this thread to limit the morph to the head. This worked at first, but when I went on to save it as a morph asset and tried to use that, the stretching and shoulder movement was back again. I did the adjust rigging to shape and erc freeze before saving the morph asset.

    There is also a mention in Redz's tutorial that you can edit your morph dial to put it in a different category but I can't figure out how to do that.

    For now I'll stick with loading the .obj files through Morph Loader Pro as I need them and using Ki-Jen's technique to limit them each time (I found if I tried to re-save the morph after doing this it wouldn't load as morph again).

    Thank you to Redz, Ki-Jen, nicstt, Singular Blues, L'Adair and everyone else who has aadded their help in this thread.

    Did you close studio or did you reload the figure.

    If you use most method to edit a moprh, then delete and reload the figure, either the morph will be broken to the point of uselessness, or it will load as it was before the edit. This because Daz is loading the morph from its cache. If a morph is correctly saved,  (Edit morph, finalize all changes, then save) it will load correctly either after completely clearing the scene by loading new, or restarting Studio. And, frankly, restarting takes less time.

    Just deleting the figure and loading a new one will cause unexpected results.

    Of course, if you did restart Studio, then this is not helpful.

    Yes, I did exit Daz Studio and restart it before trying to use the morph asset. I assumed that was the most reliable way if you've been messing with the morphs added to a figure, and I also wanted to check that it had been saved in a way that would reload it each time I started Studio.

  • Had you saved the morph before you changed it?

  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,609

    Had you saved the morph before you changed it?

    Looking back there could have been one problem. I kept going into and out of Studio but since I was re-doing the same morph it kept telling me there was already a morph with that name, so I deleted and re-loaded it. This time I did a re-run, first making sure there wasn't a morph already in Studio when I started. Here is the sequence.

    First load and zero G8F, load the head morph. Try it out. the shoulder movement is there.

    Add morph to favourites, in geometry editor select all vertices except the head and select morph editing->clear selected deltas from favourites. Exit from geometry editor. Try the morph, only the head morphs, the shoulder movement is gone.

    With the morph set to 100% do the adjust rigging to shape and erc freeze. Try turning the morph down to 0 and up to 100%, the shoulders still don't move, it's still just the head that morphs.

    Zero the figure, save as a morph asset, in the tick boxes only select the head.

    Exit from Daz Studio, restart Daz Studio and load G8F.

    Set the morph to 100%, the shoulder movement is back again.

  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited June 2017

    Ysabeau6 morphs transferred, except the body, couldn't get that right, so I created it in Blender (and is very close to what it should be). Textures transferred too, with the addition of a custom SSS. Ysabeau Hair and G3 clothes. Pleased with how everything turned out.

    Ysabeau6 on G3F.jpg
    1273 x 1800 - 288K
    Post edited by nicstt on
  • Had you saved the morph before you changed it?

    Looking back there could have been one problem. I kept going into and out of Studio but since I was re-doing the same morph it kept telling me there was already a morph with that name, so I deleted and re-loaded it. This time I did a re-run, first making sure there wasn't a morph already in Studio when I started. Here is the sequence.

    First load and zero G8F, load the head morph. Try it out. the shoulder movement is there.

    Add morph to favourites, in geometry editor select all vertices except the head and select morph editing->clear selected deltas from favourites. Exit from geometry editor. Try the morph, only the head morphs, the shoulder movement is gone.

    With the morph set to 100% do the adjust rigging to shape and erc freeze. Try turning the morph down to 0 and up to 100%, the shoulders still don't move, it's still just the head that morphs.

    Zero the figure, save as a morph asset, in the tick boxes only select the head.

    Exit from Daz Studio, restart Daz Studio and load G8F.

    Set the morph to 100%, the shoulder movement is back again.

    In the tick boxes, you're selecting the entire head group? Actor > Head?

    Are you changing the morph's Property group to Actor > Head? Using morph loader to add it, it defaults to Morphs > Morph Loader, unless you specify otherwise.

    Also, if you checked Actor > then every morph in the Head group was saved out again and you now have two copies of each. Which Daz handles okay, but weird stuff can happen. I made that mistake on one trial run of my method and end up with a morphthat had no deltas but sill had ERC links and was basically stripping the bones ot of the body.

    I though I'd fix it by getting rid of the doubled file, and then rerunning things. And it seemed to work. Morph plus ERC working. Saved it. Reloaded, retested, No morph, moving bones. In the end I had to remove all the files and rebuild the morph from first principles.

    Sounds like a similar issue. Maybe not the same, but you probably have another file with same morph id in there someplace. Anyway, the property group thin is important, and I don't know if we're just talking past each other here. When you save a morph you should drill down in the check boxes until you get to that morph, unless you know for a fact that every morph in the group you check is new, or is in the same folder as you are going to save to.

    The folder you saved to would default to Morphs\[YourVendorName]\Product, in curent Studio. In 4.8 you could get away with not entering a product name. Obviously, if you changed the vendor and product names (For ex, I change the Vendor name to FromG3F for all my transfers, Makes it easy to know which folder they are in) it would cange the above address accordingly. You may need to delete that folder, entirely, if you've be just check boxing the whole head group.

  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,609

    Had you saved the morph before you changed it?

    Looking back there could have been one problem. I kept going into and out of Studio but since I was re-doing the same morph it kept telling me there was already a morph with that name, so I deleted and re-loaded it. This time I did a re-run, first making sure there wasn't a morph already in Studio when I started. Here is the sequence.

    First load and zero G8F, load the head morph. Try it out. the shoulder movement is there.

    Add morph to favourites, in geometry editor select all vertices except the head and select morph editing->clear selected deltas from favourites. Exit from geometry editor. Try the morph, only the head morphs, the shoulder movement is gone.

    With the morph set to 100% do the adjust rigging to shape and erc freeze. Try turning the morph down to 0 and up to 100%, the shoulders still don't move, it's still just the head that morphs.

    Zero the figure, save as a morph asset, in the tick boxes only select the head.

    Exit from Daz Studio, restart Daz Studio and load G8F.

    Set the morph to 100%, the shoulder movement is back again.

    In the tick boxes, you're selecting the entire head group? Actor > Head?

    Are you changing the morph's Property group to Actor > Head? Using morph loader to add it, it defaults to Morphs > Morph Loader, unless you specify otherwise.

    Also, if you checked Actor > then every morph in the Head group was saved out again and you now have two copies of each. Which Daz handles okay, but weird stuff can happen. I made that mistake on one trial run of my method and end up with a morphthat had no deltas but sill had ERC links and was basically stripping the bones ot of the body.

    I though I'd fix it by getting rid of the doubled file, and then rerunning things. And it seemed to work. Morph plus ERC working. Saved it. Reloaded, retested, No morph, moving bones. In the end I had to remove all the files and rebuild the morph from first principles.

    Sounds like a similar issue. Maybe not the same, but you probably have another file with same morph id in there someplace. Anyway, the property group thin is important, and I don't know if we're just talking past each other here. When you save a morph you should drill down in the check boxes until you get to that morph, unless you know for a fact that every morph in the group you check is new, or is in the same folder as you are going to save to.

    The folder you saved to would default to Morphs\[YourVendorName]\Product, in curent Studio. In 4.8 you could get away with not entering a product name. Obviously, if you changed the vendor and product names (For ex, I change the Vendor name to FromG3F for all my transfers, Makes it easy to know which folder they are in) it would cange the above address accordingly. You may need to delete that folder, entirely, if you've be just check boxing the whole head group.

    Ahh, some light begins to dawn a bit. I thought those check boxes were supposed to say which body parts the morph would apply to, but looking at it again I now think they for me to say which morphs to save. But if that's right then I don't think I actually saved the morph at all, so why was it still there when I re-started Studio? And I did wonder why I couldn't find the product name I'd entered when I tried searching for the morph after the restart.

    I dunno, I'll have to go away and think about this for a while. If I have been re-saving the wrong things I could have messed things up completly. Maybe I should de-install G8F and re-install her, or would that actually fix things?

  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017

    Had you saved the morph before you changed it?

    Looking back there could have been one problem. I kept going into and out of Studio but since I was re-doing the same morph it kept telling me there was already a morph with that name, so I deleted and re-loaded it. This time I did a re-run, first making sure there wasn't a morph already in Studio when I started. Here is the sequence.

    First load and zero G8F, load the head morph. Try it out. the shoulder movement is there.

    Add morph to favourites, in geometry editor select all vertices except the head and select morph editing->clear selected deltas from favourites. Exit from geometry editor. Try the morph, only the head morphs, the shoulder movement is gone.

    With the morph set to 100% do the adjust rigging to shape and erc freeze. Try turning the morph down to 0 and up to 100%, the shoulders still don't move, it's still just the head that morphs.

    Zero the figure, save as a morph asset, in the tick boxes only select the head.

    Exit from Daz Studio, restart Daz Studio and load G8F.

    Set the morph to 100%, the shoulder movement is back again.

    In the tick boxes, you're selecting the entire head group? Actor > Head?

    Are you changing the morph's Property group to Actor > Head? Using morph loader to add it, it defaults to Morphs > Morph Loader, unless you specify otherwise.

    Also, if you checked Actor > then every morph in the Head group was saved out again and you now have two copies of each. Which Daz handles okay, but weird stuff can happen. I made that mistake on one trial run of my method and end up with a morphthat had no deltas but sill had ERC links and was basically stripping the bones ot of the body.

    I though I'd fix it by getting rid of the doubled file, and then rerunning things. And it seemed to work. Morph plus ERC working. Saved it. Reloaded, retested, No morph, moving bones. In the end I had to remove all the files and rebuild the morph from first principles.

    Sounds like a similar issue. Maybe not the same, but you probably have another file with same morph id in there someplace. Anyway, the property group thin is important, and I don't know if we're just talking past each other here. When you save a morph you should drill down in the check boxes until you get to that morph, unless you know for a fact that every morph in the group you check is new, or is in the same folder as you are going to save to.

    The folder you saved to would default to Morphs\[YourVendorName]\Product, in curent Studio. In 4.8 you could get away with not entering a product name. Obviously, if you changed the vendor and product names (For ex, I change the Vendor name to FromG3F for all my transfers, Makes it easy to know which folder they are in) it would cange the above address accordingly. You may need to delete that folder, entirely, if you've be just check boxing the whole head group.

    Ahh, some light begins to dawn a bit. I thought those check boxes were supposed to say which body parts the morph would apply to, but looking at it again I now think they for me to say which morphs to save. But if that's right then I don't think I actually saved the morph at all, so why was it still there when I re-started Studio? And I did wonder why I couldn't find the product name I'd entered when I tried searching for the morph after the restart.

    I dunno, I'll have to go away and think about this for a while. If I have been re-saving the wrong things I could have messed things up completly. Maybe I should de-install G8F and re-install her, or would that actually fix things?

    I don't know. Depends on how you did it. You have to get rid of the folder where you saved all those morphs. Uninstall might not do that.

    Just getting rid of the folder whouls do it. As for why the morph is still there; at least one time, you actually saved it, and the file is still in the Morphs folder somewhere. It's the only way it can keep showing up.

    If you go into the morph's poperties and look at it's internal name, you have something you can use to searche you Morphs folder and see where it is.

    Click on the gear icon on the right side of the slider. (Click, not right click) You'll get a men. Select Paramenter Settings.

    In the window that pops up there will be "name" and "label." Label is what Studio displays. Name is the internal ID of the morph, and usually the file name it is saved under. Copy the name, and seach you Morphs folder.

    That should get you the location of the file and any more copies of it you have. You have to get rid of them. You probably do need to remove and reinstall G8 because of the saving the head morphs. Not sure. I mean you could try to hunt down all the copies you made, since you did more than once. They might all be ing the same folder. Might not. If they are all in the same folder, then there' won't be too many copies becuase they would have be overwriting themselves on each save. In that case, you just have remove that folder. But if you aren't sure, then you should uninstall G8. The go in and make sure the who G8 Folder inside the data\Daz 3D\ folder is gone. If not, delete it. The reinstall G8.

    1-2a.png
    295 x 151 - 131K
    1-2b.png
    431 x 213 - 270K
    Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

    Sorry for asking an obvious question, but what is meant by "zeroing the figure?"  I thought that when I load G8F that the base pose IS the zeroed figure?

    If I'm wrong, please let me know how to zero a figure.  Thanks!

  • RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    dracorn said:

    Sorry for asking an obvious question, but what is meant by "zeroing the figure?"  I thought that when I load G8F that the base pose IS the zeroed figure?

    If I'm wrong, please let me know how to zero a figure.  Thanks!

    You are correct that G8F loads at zero. G3F doesn't though, as she has navel and mouth realism morphs applied. It's always best practice to make sure all morphs are set to zero before saving out any morphs. Otherwise your G8F will save with those morphs on by default (as happened somebody earlier in this thread) and it's a pain to fix later. With G8F selected in the scrne tab, go to the parameters tab, and in the drop down menu in the corner, there's an option to zero - figure. 

    Also remember to hide the lashes or use the developer G8F if you at exporting for morphs. Otherwise the vertex count of your morph won't match. 

  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,141

    I have successfully used Redz tutorial file to transfer a number of G3F characters across to G8F - thanks again! I am almost loathe to ask, as you have been so helpful already, and I think it may have already been covered somewhere, but is there a simple way to transfer head morphs (only really interested in the heads/faces this time) from Genesis or Genesis 2 (or even V4) characters? I don't have GenX, so it the answer is "get GenX" then fine, but if there is a way to do it without that and they isn't too complicated, that would be great.

  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,210
    edited June 2017
    PhilW said:

    I have successfully used Redz tutorial file to transfer a number of G3F characters across to G8F - thanks again! I am almost loathe to ask, as you have been so helpful already, and I think it may have already been covered somewhere, but is there a simple way to transfer head morphs (only really interested in the heads/faces this time) from Genesis or Genesis 2 (or even V4) characters? I don't have GenX, so it the answer is "get GenX" then fine, but if there is a way to do it without that and they isn't too complicated, that would be great.

    Try this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093/transferring-morphs-from-genesis-to-g2m-g2f-and-from-g2m-g2f-to-genesis-now-with-clones

    The Genesis 3 comments start on about Page 19.

    ETA: But I would definitely recommend GenX2 and the necessary add-ons if you find them in a good sale!

    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    PhilW said:

    I have successfully used Redz tutorial file to transfer a number of G3F characters across to G8F - thanks again! I am almost loathe to ask, as you have been so helpful already, and I think it may have already been covered somewhere, but is there a simple way to transfer head morphs (only really interested in the heads/faces this time) from Genesis or Genesis 2 (or even V4) characters? I don't have GenX, so it the answer is "get GenX" then fine, but if there is a way to do it without that and they isn't too complicated, that would be great.

    It's a bit trickier because the head shapes are not the same, as they are for G3F. You could favourite the Genesis head morphs you wish to transfer and use the transfer utility as I described before for Genesis 3 ear/head morphs (see settings in the pic), but you will have two issues - first the body will morph slightly, and secondly, you will only get the correct head shape if you dial the Genesis clone into G8F as well as your transferred morph. The tutorial I posted for making clones and reproducing the tutorial for earlier generations overcomes these problems, but is a lot more time consuming.

    genesistransfer.png
    480 x 640 - 41K
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,609

    Had you saved the morph before you changed it?

    Looking back there could have been one problem. I kept going into and out of Studio but since I was re-doing the same morph it kept telling me there was already a morph with that name, so I deleted and re-loaded it. This time I did a re-run, first making sure there wasn't a morph already in Studio when I started. Here is the sequence.

    First load and zero G8F, load the head morph. Try it out. the shoulder movement is there.

    Add morph to favourites, in geometry editor select all vertices except the head and select morph editing->clear selected deltas from favourites. Exit from geometry editor. Try the morph, only the head morphs, the shoulder movement is gone.

    With the morph set to 100% do the adjust rigging to shape and erc freeze. Try turning the morph down to 0 and up to 100%, the shoulders still don't move, it's still just the head that morphs.

    Zero the figure, save as a morph asset, in the tick boxes only select the head.

    Exit from Daz Studio, restart Daz Studio and load G8F.

    Set the morph to 100%, the shoulder movement is back again.

    In the tick boxes, you're selecting the entire head group? Actor > Head?

    Are you changing the morph's Property group to Actor > Head? Using morph loader to add it, it defaults to Morphs > Morph Loader, unless you specify otherwise.

    Also, if you checked Actor > then every morph in the Head group was saved out again and you now have two copies of each. Which Daz handles okay, but weird stuff can happen. I made that mistake on one trial run of my method and end up with a morphthat had no deltas but sill had ERC links and was basically stripping the bones ot of the body.

    I though I'd fix it by getting rid of the doubled file, and then rerunning things. And it seemed to work. Morph plus ERC working. Saved it. Reloaded, retested, No morph, moving bones. In the end I had to remove all the files and rebuild the morph from first principles.

    Sounds like a similar issue. Maybe not the same, but you probably have another file with same morph id in there someplace. Anyway, the property group thin is important, and I don't know if we're just talking past each other here. When you save a morph you should drill down in the check boxes until you get to that morph, unless you know for a fact that every morph in the group you check is new, or is in the same folder as you are going to save to.

    The folder you saved to would default to Morphs\[YourVendorName]\Product, in curent Studio. In 4.8 you could get away with not entering a product name. Obviously, if you changed the vendor and product names (For ex, I change the Vendor name to FromG3F for all my transfers, Makes it easy to know which folder they are in) it would cange the above address accordingly. You may need to delete that folder, entirely, if you've be just check boxing the whole head group.

    Ahh, some light begins to dawn a bit. I thought those check boxes were supposed to say which body parts the morph would apply to, but looking at it again I now think they for me to say which morphs to save. But if that's right then I don't think I actually saved the morph at all, so why was it still there when I re-started Studio? And I did wonder why I couldn't find the product name I'd entered when I tried searching for the morph after the restart.

    I dunno, I'll have to go away and think about this for a while. If I have been re-saving the wrong things I could have messed things up completly. Maybe I should de-install G8F and re-install her, or would that actually fix things?

    I don't know. Depends on how you did it. You have to get rid of the folder where you saved all those morphs. Uninstall might not do that.

    Just getting rid of the folder whouls do it. As for why the morph is still there; at least one time, you actually saved it, and the file is still in the Morphs folder somewhere. It's the only way it can keep showing up.

    If you go into the morph's poperties and look at it's internal name, you have something you can use to searche you Morphs folder and see where it is.

    Click on the gear icon on the right side of the slider. (Click, not right click) You'll get a men. Select Paramenter Settings.

    In the window that pops up there will be "name" and "label." Label is what Studio displays. Name is the internal ID of the morph, and usually the file name it is saved under. Copy the name, and seach you Morphs folder.

    That should get you the location of the file and any more copies of it you have. You have to get rid of them. You probably do need to remove and reinstall G8 because of the saving the head morphs. Not sure. I mean you could try to hunt down all the copies you made, since you did more than once. They might all be ing the same folder. Might not. If they are all in the same folder, then there' won't be too many copies becuase they would have be overwriting themselves on each save. In that case, you just have remove that folder. But if you aren't sure, then you should uninstall G8. The go in and make sure the who G8 Folder inside the data\Daz 3D\ folder is gone. If not, delete it. The reinstall G8.

    Just to be on the safe side I de-installed G8F, V8 and all their morphs, characters, expressions and poses, then re-installed them all.

    With this new understanding of the export process I tried again, and I have finally managed to convert a face morph without distorting the body, and put it in a new folder/category/whatever it's called under Actor->Head. It was a long journey but now I know how to do it. A big thank you the everyone who helped along the way.

  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017
    Redz said:
    PhilW said:

    I have successfully used Redz tutorial file to transfer a number of G3F characters across to G8F - thanks again! I am almost loathe to ask, as you have been so helpful already, and I think it may have already been covered somewhere, but is there a simple way to transfer head morphs (only really interested in the heads/faces this time) from Genesis or Genesis 2 (or even V4) characters? I don't have GenX, so it the answer is "get GenX" then fine, but if there is a way to do it without that and they isn't too complicated, that would be great.

    It's a bit trickier because the head shapes are not the same, as they are for G3F. You could favourite the Genesis head morphs you wish to transfer and use the transfer utility as I described before for Genesis 3 ear/head morphs (see settings in the pic), but you will have two issues - first the body will morph slightly, and secondly, you will only get the correct head shape if you dial the Genesis clone into G8F as well as your transferred morph. The tutorial I posted for making clones and reproducing the tutorial for earlier generations overcomes these problems, but is a lot more time consuming.

    I agree with this comment.

    If you do a head morph form G3 to G8 you get pretty good results. I've talked about the issues that crop up before, with the worst distortion (fairly minor except in stylized) being in the eyes. Key point being, the eyes (and to a leasser extent, outer upper cheeks) are the only places where G3 and G8 differ. And the cheeks thing can be fixed. The eyes are actually different geometry which means a degree of distortion in transfer is inescapable.

    Genesis and G2 are different geometry entirely. Even minor eye stylization cause significant distortion. I know people get good results now, which has to do, I think, with improved options in Transfer Utility, but it can be pretty bad. Distortion will not be confined to the eyes, either. Hands, feet, nails, teeth (ye gods, the teeth). For whatever reason, GenX does not cause this to happen. Mind you, extreme eyes always need fixing, but with GenX it's typically a matter of changing the scale of the eyeball, or using an iris morph.

    Bottom line, distortions add up. So even if you aren't making stylized character, each tiny distortion form each transfer will stack if you try to mix and match morphs. Going from G3 to G8, the problem will be so small as be ignored. Going from any other figure, and it's probably worth getting GenX.

    Unless you are like me and enjoy fixing 3D models as a passtime. It's not unlike fixing a car. If you like that kind of thing, you do it yorself. If not, most of the time, you're better served paying to have it done for you.

    Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,141

    Thanks yet again for all the help - I'll see how I get on. I only want to transfer a few rather than dozens or hundreds - in general, if I need a specific face shape, I use the original figure that it was designed for, I'm all for a simple life that way!

  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Redz said:
    dracorn said:

    Sorry for asking an obvious question, but what is meant by "zeroing the figure?"  I thought that when I load G8F that the base pose IS the zeroed figure?

    If I'm wrong, please let me know how to zero a figure.  Thanks!

    You are correct that G8F loads at zero. G3F doesn't though, as she has navel and mouth realism morphs applied. It's always best practice to make sure all morphs are set to zero before saving out any morphs. Otherwise your G8F will save with those morphs on by default (as happened somebody earlier in this thread) and it's a pain to fix later. With G8F selected in the scrne tab, go to the parameters tab, and in the drop down menu in the corner, there's an option to zero - figure. 

    Also remember to hide the lashes or use the developer G8F if you at exporting for morphs. Otherwise the vertex count of your morph won't match. 

    Thanks Redz!  Now I have a couple more questions - from your tutorial:

    "Zero G8F and click File-Save as- Support Asset- Morph Asset -
    Check only your new morph, under Morphs - Morph Loader or your
    custom location. Enter a Directory and vendor name and click accept.
    Next time you open Daz Studio your new morph should be available."

    By this do you mean after I complete the morph that I must dial it to zero on G8F?  When I save the Morph Asset, D/S automatically knows what I'm saving?

    "You can edit your morph dial to customise it's category etc. If you don't it
    will show up under Morphs - Morph Loader."

    How do I customize the category?

  • RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    dracorn said:
    Redz said:
    dracorn said:

    Sorry for asking an obvious question, but what is meant by "zeroing the figure?"  I thought that when I load G8F that the base pose IS the zeroed figure?

    If I'm wrong, please let me know how to zero a figure.  Thanks!

    You are correct that G8F loads at zero. G3F doesn't though, as she has navel and mouth realism morphs applied. It's always best practice to make sure all morphs are set to zero before saving out any morphs. Otherwise your G8F will save with those morphs on by default (as happened somebody earlier in this thread) and it's a pain to fix later. With G8F selected in the scrne tab, go to the parameters tab, and in the drop down menu in the corner, there's an option to zero - figure. 

    Also remember to hide the lashes or use the developer G8F if you at exporting for morphs. Otherwise the vertex count of your morph won't match. 

    Thanks Redz!  Now I have a couple more questions - from your tutorial:

    "Zero G8F and click File-Save as- Support Asset- Morph Asset -
    Check only your new morph, under Morphs - Morph Loader or your
    custom location. Enter a Directory and vendor name and click accept.
    Next time you open Daz Studio your new morph should be available."

    By this do you mean after I complete the morph that I must dial it to zero on G8F?  When I save the Morph Asset, D/S automatically knows what I'm saving?

    "You can edit your morph dial to customise it's category etc. If you don't it
    will show up under Morphs - Morph Loader."

    How do I customize the category?

    To your first question, yes you must zero the morph. Daz will jnow because in the save morph asset you must expand the categories until you find your morph/morphs and check only those to save. Uncheck anything else. 

    To the second, if you are in edit mode on the  parameters pane (an option in the parameters dropdown menu), you can click the gear symbol at the top of your morph slider and choose parameter settings. Under path you can choose where your morph should show up - eg head/full body/people etc.

  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,965
    edited June 2017

    Helpful would be tutorials on transferring Genesis 8 iRay settings to all prior generations in these common situations with presets for each:

    1) Clean - freshly Wash & Dried (or competent studio portrait style) and therefore not oily or sweaty in the least

    2) Typical - light sheen of oil, mostly on parts of the face

    3) Active - light sheen of oil and light sheen of sweat, eg walked a mile in mild weather

    4) Sports - light sheen of oil and very sweaty, even drenched in sweat

    5) Wet - light sheen of oil, wet as with torrential rain, car wash, and similar situations but the external water flow has ceased

    6) Soaking - light sheen of oil, car wash, torrential rain and similar situations with continuing external water flow

    I guess to be complete:

    7) Bath - wet as in 5 but no sheen of oil

    8) Shower - soaking as 6 but no sheen of oil

    9) Bodybuilder - heavy sheen of oil, light sweating

    Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Redz said:
    dracorn said:
    Redz said:
    dracorn said:

    Sorry for asking an obvious question, but what is meant by "zeroing the figure?"  I thought that when I load G8F that the base pose IS the zeroed figure?

    If I'm wrong, please let me know how to zero a figure.  Thanks!

    You are correct that G8F loads at zero. G3F doesn't though, as she has navel and mouth realism morphs applied. It's always best practice to make sure all morphs are set to zero before saving out any morphs. Otherwise your G8F will save with those morphs on by default (as happened somebody earlier in this thread) and it's a pain to fix later. With G8F selected in the scrne tab, go to the parameters tab, and in the drop down menu in the corner, there's an option to zero - figure. 

    Also remember to hide the lashes or use the developer G8F if you at exporting for morphs. Otherwise the vertex count of your morph won't match. 

    Thanks Redz!  Now I have a couple more questions - from your tutorial:

    "Zero G8F and click File-Save as- Support Asset- Morph Asset -
    Check only your new morph, under Morphs - Morph Loader or your
    custom location. Enter a Directory and vendor name and click accept.
    Next time you open Daz Studio your new morph should be available."

    By this do you mean after I complete the morph that I must dial it to zero on G8F?  When I save the Morph Asset, D/S automatically knows what I'm saving?

    "You can edit your morph dial to customise it's category etc. If you don't it
    will show up under Morphs - Morph Loader."

    How do I customize the category?

    To your first question, yes you must zero the morph. Daz will jnow because in the save morph asset you must expand the categories until you find your morph/morphs and check only those to save. Uncheck anything else. 

    To the second, if you are in edit mode on the  parameters pane (an option in the parameters dropdown menu), you can click the gear symbol at the top of your morph slider and choose parameter settings. Under path you can choose where your morph should show up - eg head/full body/people etc.

    Thanks.  You Rock!

  • So, bad news.

    In the last 2.5 days at least two people have managed to do weird, time tor reinstall G8 damage to their runtimes. Seeing as how my prototype method requires one to muck around with G3, I've decided not to share it, in general.

    I'm looking into the possibility of scripting this out. I know the main step, creating place holder morphs on G8 is scriptable. But I don't know of I can copy the ERC data, as yet. I see a number of methods that access someof the necessary data, but I've yet to see something that convinces me you can access all of it. (It makes me long for a blender feature where the tool tips for most items contain their Python identification data.) Anyway, I think it should be possible to automate, at least the dangerous part, because the are Dz mothods for copying at least some of the data in any property and and for checking a target node to see if properties with the same names already exist. This would eleminate the need to muck around in G3's guts AND prevent the most dangerous aspect of the edits to G8.

    Since I have, already, done most of the leg work to build the method, I will share directly, but under the following two conditions: You do not share the method with anyone else unless you are prepared to hand hold them when they break things. This condition is because of condition 2. I will not hand hold you if you break things. You have to be prepared to take on troubleshooting on your own.

    I really want to get something relatively safe that can be used. This method and recent events have convinced me that what I have now is a disaster waiting to heppen. I could slap an as-is statement on it and walk away, but I'd feel bad if I did. In the last 10 days, I've run 8 full tests of the method, and even I managed to break things in half of them. I didn't think much of it because they were easy to fix. But they were easy to fix because I understood exactly what broke and why. (Most were cases that would not come up for you. Me trying to see if a step was necessary or could be combined with another.) 50% failure rate is too high by infinite%. Like I said, if I can solve the issue with a sript that does the heavy lifting, I'm sure that it will be relatively safe. Largely because I believe I can eliminate all other variables, so if the user breaks something, it will be a matter of deleting a folder to fix it.

     

  • BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,368

    Isn`t it V8 and G4.............

  • Isn`t it V8 and G4.............

    Nope.

    It's Genesis 8.

    Because, ever since Genesis, G4/Gen4/Generation 4 has been used to refer to the Victoria 4 series figures.

    It seems Daz wanted to avoid confusion.

Sign In or Register to comment.