Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• dakkuuan said:

Hey guys.  Anyone using AMR's scaling sliders?  I cannot get them to transfer to Genesis 8.  If I make them part of the shape, they will create hair issues.  Wondering if anyone came up with a solution.

Anyone using AMR's scaling sliders?

Nope.

Wondering if anyone came up with a solution.

Indeed, I have. You gotta wait for it, though.

I'm guessing, mind. But if you can't transfer the dials, it suggest that they ware just a collection of ERC links. Transfer utility will not transfer those.

There's a way to do it, but it's ... complex. All I can say is "soon."

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited June 2017

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong transferring ears.  But they always end up showing in the Parameters tab under the Node Geometry section (aka Actor->Head->Ears) but don't show up in the Shaping tab.  I've been fixing it with Morph Organizer by creating the appropriate regions and groups and moving the morphs to the Region group rather than geometry.  They still show up correctly on the Parameters tab after doing this, so I guess it's ok.  Does anybody know why they don't get put in the correct Region structure in the first place?  That's where they were in Genesis 3.

Next question:  I want to move on to the Fantasy Features but those are little more disruptive of the head structure.  Some of the ears actually create animal-like ears on top the head or distort the brow-line.  Should I just assume that this will require adjusting the rigging and ERC freeze?  Anything that might get in the way of expressions should be treated that way?

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • reelyorreelyor Posts: 235
    edited June 2017

When I click on the link for thje tutorial, I get a "404 error"

All set now.  Thanks

Post edited by reelyor on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    Redz said:

I got my first elf ears done.  Argghhhh!  One down, 154 more to go and that's just G3F.

Did you catch my last response about the ears? If they are on G3F, there is a very simple method to get them over to G8F. Same goes for head/face morphs that are dependant on just a single dial.

Here are the steps

1. Load and zero G3F

2. Load and zero G8F

3. Favourite all the ear/face/head morphs you wish to transfer. If you're in edit mode on parameters, you can search 'ears', select multiple morphs, right click and add them all to favourites at once.

4. In the scene tab, go to Assets, transfer utility and use the settings in the picture. Source G3F, Target G8F. Leave item shape at default. Do NOT select any clone (or it will alter the body too). Uncheck everything except Morph Targets - From Source - Favourites. Click Accept.

5. Select G8F and find your transferred morphs. I find it easiest to add them to favourites so I can batch edit them.

6. On the parameters tab in edit mode, multiple select your new morphs, right click and enable limits. Right click again and set limits min 0. If they are ear morphs you may want to right click and disable autofollow so they won't distort hairs.

7. If they are just ear morphs you can  save your morphs as morph assets at this point. If you have transferred full head morphs with this method, you will need to adjust rigging to shape and ERC freeze so the facial rigging is correct, then save as morph asset.

Notes: This method won't work for shapes dependant on multiple dials, eg Izabella 7 and Teen Josie 7's head morphs. It works because the head shapes are virtually identical between G3F/G8F. This is not the case for body morphs, and transferring using the default clone results in finger/arm deformities. It also won't transfer full characters. The tutorials get better results for body morphs, but for a large number of ear/head shapes that are already on G3F, the transfer utility is definitely your friend.

dakkuuan said:

Hey guys.  Anyone using AMR's scaling sliders?  I cannot get them to transfer to Genesis 8.  If I make them part of the shape, they will create hair issues.  Wondering if anyone came up with a solution.

Nope.

I'm guessing, mind. But if you can't transfer the dials, it suggest that they ware just a collection of ERC links. Transfer utility will not transfer those.

You should write a DS manual :P. I'd buy it. LOL

Laurie

• AllenArt said:
    Redz said:

I got my first elf ears done.  Argghhhh!  One down, 154 more to go and that's just G3F.

Did you catch my last response about the ears? If they are on G3F, there is a very simple method to get them over to G8F. Same goes for head/face morphs that are dependant on just a single dial.

Here are the steps

1. Load and zero G3F

2. Load and zero G8F

3. Favourite all the ear/face/head morphs you wish to transfer. If you're in edit mode on parameters, you can search 'ears', select multiple morphs, right click and add them all to favourites at once.

4. In the scene tab, go to Assets, transfer utility and use the settings in the picture. Source G3F, Target G8F. Leave item shape at default. Do NOT select any clone (or it will alter the body too). Uncheck everything except Morph Targets - From Source - Favourites. Click Accept.

5. Select G8F and find your transferred morphs. I find it easiest to add them to favourites so I can batch edit them.

6. On the parameters tab in edit mode, multiple select your new morphs, right click and enable limits. Right click again and set limits min 0. If they are ear morphs you may want to right click and disable autofollow so they won't distort hairs.

7. If they are just ear morphs you can  save your morphs as morph assets at this point. If you have transferred full head morphs with this method, you will need to adjust rigging to shape and ERC freeze so the facial rigging is correct, then save as morph asset.

Notes: This method won't work for shapes dependant on multiple dials, eg Izabella 7 and Teen Josie 7's head morphs. It works because the head shapes are virtually identical between G3F/G8F. This is not the case for body morphs, and transferring using the default clone results in finger/arm deformities. It also won't transfer full characters. The tutorials get better results for body morphs, but for a large number of ear/head shapes that are already on G3F, the transfer utility is definitely your friend.

dakkuuan said:

Nope.

You should write a DS manual :P. I'd buy it. LOL

Laurie

Thanks for saying. Believe it or not, there's a lot I don't know even on this subject :) I supect Redz may be better suited than I.

Also, at least half of what I know, I got from SY's deviantart page.

Sometimes, I answer a question with confidence not because I knew, but because the question made me think of a way to test the thing, so I tested it. I just happen to have a lot of ideas on this subject because I'm poor and have a lot of stuff from the turn of the century. I think I mentioned somewhere I made a Cookie autofit clone for Genesis 3. I've got another for fitting MMD freebies to g3.

My hobbies provide breadth, but trying to write a book would prove me not very deep, me thinks.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Redz said:
    dracorn said:
    Ki-Jen said:

Hey guys, that vertex stuff sounds a bit too heavy for me. Successfully transferd my first morph. Noticed that whereas it was a morph for a body part the posture changed a bit once I applied it to G8F. So maybe this is that vertex/vertices thing? Would not mind if one of you Guru's might add that to Redz tutorial.

But for the moment thanks to everyone exploring or documenting the necessary steps for transfering morphs enabling even a noob like me to do it.

You don't need to be a guru to do that. In fact, I didn't even know, this "Geometry Editor" exists, before Redz mentioned it. To create a partial morph (head morph for example) without affecting the other parts of G8, try this:

1. Follow Redz's manual until you have loaded and dialed in your transferred G3 morph into G8 ("If all went well your morph imported and will be in the parameters tab. Dial it in and check that G8F has morphed correctly." in "Part two").
    2. Go to your morph in the Parameters tab and click on the heart in the top right of the morph to mark it as a "favorite".
    3. Activate the Geometry Editor:
      Geometry Editor
    4. Right click on your Genesis 8 in the Viewport and select Selection Type - Vertex Selection.
    5. Right click again on G8 and select Selection Mode - Lasso Selection.
    6. Drag the lasso around everything of G8, that should NOT be part of your morph. For a head morph, select the entire body, for example. It should look like this:
      Geometry Editor in action
    7. Right click a 3rd time on G8 and select Morph Editing - Clear Selected Deltas from Favorits.
    8. Continue with Redz manual.

I'm trying this method, but I can't find "Morph Editing - Clear Selected Deltas from Favorites" when I right click on G8 after selecting what I don't want in the morph.

Are you in vertex mode? And if so, don't right click on G8F, right click anywhere in the viewport. 

Thanks, Got it.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190
    edited June 2017

thank you so much for the excellent step-by-step cloning method tutorial, Redz...i've not only recycled a lot of cool character shapes, i've learned a lot about studio while i was doing it. 

looking forward to continuing the learning curve when Singular Blues unleashes the superbeardy tutorial...

j

Post edited by jardine on
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

Here's a closeup of that Exile from before. This was G3M -> G3F -> G8F, and I used Substance Painter to capture Subd4 Normal details. I ended up having to use heal brush on a small bit where the Normal was angular and not looking right; in retrospect I should probably have grabbed the normals at 8160x8160 to get more detail. Next time!

Will, I love me some cool aliens.  I'd buy that guy in a heart-beat!!

• can somebody help me with step 23? after completing step 22 MyG2Clone_G8F morph disappears from the parameter tab

Thanks

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Well, Exile is in the store.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2017

can somebody help me with step 23? after completing step 22 MyG2Clone_G8F morph disappears from the parameter tab

Thanks

In step 22, you set the path to Hidden->Clones, so the morph is now located under the Hidden section of the figure.

ETA: I had to go look to make sure I had it right... If you can't find the "Hidden" folder for your selected figure, you'll need to tell DS to show you the hidden stuff. With the Parameters tab open, click on the Menu, (the small "box" in the upper corner, with four horizontal lines and an arrow,) and select Show Hidden Properties. Now the Hidden folder should be visible.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

So first off thank you redz for all the tutorials they are great, couple questions though, first one is unrelated somehow when doing transfers I screwed up how G3f  loads, it has head morphs already dialed in when it loads and I can't figure out how to fix it... next question is there a way to transfer just partial morphs like just ears so they don't affect the rest of the body? Thanks for all your help and also thank you for adding fits for some of your stuff at renderosity, I've gotten quite a bit of your stuff over there :)

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited June 2017

Transfer of Genesis 1 Morph to Genesis 8

I wanted to be able to transfer my G1 and G2 characters to G8.  I dial-spin the bodies so I am doing head morphs only. 

For this one, I used GenX2 to transfer Lorella the Elf Maid from Genesis 1 to Genesis 3, and then used Redz' tutorial to transfer that to Genesis 8.  Note that the materials are G8 base (unadjusted). 

Thanks again, Redz - you rock!

G1 Lorella Elf on G8.jpg
    667 x 667 - 263K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    dkgoose said:

So first off thank you redz for all the tutorials they are great, couple questions though, first one is unrelated somehow when doing transfers I screwed up how G3f  loads, it has head morphs already dialed in when it loads and I can't figure out how to fix it... next question is there a way to transfer just partial morphs like just ears so they don't affect the rest of the body? Thanks for all your help and also thank you for adding fits for some of your stuff at renderosity, I've gotten quite a bit of your stuff over there :)

I suspect you saved G3F when you had morphs applied. Can't stress how important it is to have all morphs at zero before saving your morph assets. Otherwise the morphs get saved with non-zero default values and will load dialled-in. It can be fixed but it may take a while to find the culprit morphs. Open Daz Studio and load a fresh G3F. Check currently used in the parameters tab, though usually they don't show up there. Otherwise you'll need to scroll down through your parameters tab to find the morphs that are non-zero. Navel and mouth-realism load at 100% on default G3F. No other morph dials should be non-zero.

When you find the morphs, dial them to zero, then click the gear symbol to look at the parameter settings. Reset the 'Default' value to 0% 

When they are reset you can use File-save as- Support assset - Save modified assets.

Cross your fingers and hopefully next time you load G3F, she'll be back to her familiar shape.

About the partial morphs - 

If they are on G3F, there is a very simple method to get them over to G8F. Same goes for head/face morphs that are dependant on just a single dial.

Here are the steps

1. Load and zero G3F

2. Load and zero G8F

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong transferring ears.  But they always end up showing in the Parameters tab under the Node Geometry section (aka Actor->Head->Ears) but don't show up in the Shaping tab.  I've been fixing it with Morph Organizer by creating the appropriate regions and groups and moving the morphs to the Region group rather than geometry.  They still show up correctly on the Parameters tab after doing this, so I guess it's ok.  Does anybody know why they don't get put in the correct Region structure in the first place?  That's where they were in Genesis 3.

Next question:  I want to move on to the Fantasy Features but those are little more disruptive of the head structure.  Some of the ears actually create animal-like ears on top the head or distort the brow-line.  Should I just assume that this will require adjusting the rigging and ERC freeze?  Anything that might get in the way of expressions should be treated that way?

That seems to be the transfer utility's default behaviour I'm afraid.

As to the fantasy head shapes, yes you are likley to need to adjust the rigging. The joint-editor tool can help you see the bone alignment. Fantasy eye shapes and teeth may not transfer so well, so best to keep your expectations low

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited June 2017

Awesome thank you that worked great, I already figured out the culprits before but wasn't sure how to fix it.  

Post edited by Dkgoose on
  • So I got an update to Gen X earlier this week and I updated it but now nothing works, is there a way to go back to the previous version? 

• Reggie68Reggie68 Posts: 17
    edited June 2017

V4 to G8F via Genesis, G2F & G3F

Pose is for V4 applied Genesis and fixed. G2F pose created by Pose Converter. G3F pose from G2F - G3F pose converter, G8F pose from Bone Doctor.

Boots are V4 Gypsy boots, V4 cut-off jeans, T-Shirt free product for V4 by mamomamo.

Textures are V4 for V4, Genesis and G2F. V4 converted to G3F using Texture Converter V2 used on G3F and G8F

(Please limit images to 800 px. ~Mod)

Penny---Story-So-Far.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 403K
    Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

I've been trying to use the Redz tutorial and helper file but I've run into a problem. One of the first things I tried to convert was the Elite Ethnic face morphs. I transferred them from Vicky 4 to G3F with GenX2 and they work in G3F, but when I get to the stage of dialling the morph into G3F the morph does not move to G8F. I think I can see a slight distortion of the eyeball as I ajust the setting but the face does not change. There was an update to GenX2 in DIM a few days ago, I nstalled it and tried re-converting the morphs to G3F but they still won't move to G8F

Body morphs transferred from Vicky 4 to G3F with GenX2 transfer OK, face morphs that were sold for G3F convert OK, it;s just face morphs converted by GenX2 that dont't work. Does anyone have any ideas?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited June 2017
    Redz said:
    dkgoose said:

I suspect you saved G3F when you had morphs applied. Can't stress how important it is to have all morphs at zero before saving your morph assets. Otherwise the morphs get saved with non-zero default values and will load dialled-in. It can be fixed but it may take a while to find the culprit morphs. Open Daz Studio and load a fresh G3F. Check currently used in the parameters tab, though usually they don't show up there. Otherwise you'll need to scroll down through your parameters tab to find the morphs that are non-zero. Navel and mouth-realism load at 100% on default G3F. No other morph dials should be non-zero.

When you find the morphs, dial them to zero, then click the gear symbol to look at the parameter settings. Reset the 'Default' value to 0% 

When they are reset you can use File-save as- Support assset - Save modified assets.

Cross your fingers and hopefully next time you load G3F, she'll be back to her familiar shape.

About the partial morphs - 

If they are on G3F, there is a very simple method to get them over to G8F. Same goes for head/face morphs that are dependant on just a single dial.

Here are the steps

1. Load and zero G3F

2. Load and zero G8F

I've been trying to use the Redz tutorial and helper file but I've run into a problem. One of the first things I tried to convert was the Elite Ethnic face morphs. I transferred them from Vicky 4 to G3F with GenX2 and they work in G3F, but when I get to the stage of dialling the morph into G3F the morph does not move to G8F. I think I can see a slight distortion of the eyeball as I ajust the setting but the face does not change. There was an update to GenX2 in DIM a few days ago, I nstalled it and tried re-converting the morphs to G3F but they still won't move to G8F

Body morphs transferred from Vicky 4 to G3F with GenX2 transfer OK, face morphs that were sold for G3F convert OK, it;s just face morphs converted by GenX2 that dont't work. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'd use the method Redz posted a few before yours (I've quoted it for clarity and credit smiley). For partial-morphs it seems to be all that is required. BTW, I didn't use the helper file for those discussed here, I zeroed out G3F and G8F including all morphs and subd; when clicking on currently used it should be empty or those that show should be at zero.

I've posted the image as that isn't immediately obvious and I couldn't find the image Redz referred to; those settings worked for me.

I've tested various morphs (including head morphs) after transferring with a slightly extreme pose and all seems good.

Body Morphs sucked (it says they wont work), a couple I fixed in Blender and that was a pita; most I did differently.

transfer utility.JPG
    467 x 637 - 46K
    Post edited by nicstt on

Hi. Is it possible the head morphs have autofollow turned off? That would cause the morph to fail to dial in. To fix it you need to unfit the fitted clone (right click and fit to none) enable autofollow and then fit the clone again. However as Nicstt pointed out, for head and face morphs the quicker and easier method is as outlined in his post and quotes above.

• I've been looking at how to tutorialize the ERC retention method all week. Which I shouldn't have, and will pay for this week, but I digress. 

Today, I've done a documentation outline and wet run against that outline to sanity check it. It was not sane, so I adjusted the bits. 

One more wet run, during which I will take the necessary screenshots, then I write the tut.

Just to let you know I've not given up. (Because if you follow my history back far enough, you'll see I said I thought I solved a problem before and never followed up. As it happens, I HAD solved the problem, but I was doing it wrong. The idea was correct, the execution was bassackwards.)

I want to finish today, but I make no promises here. I've decide the best way to avoid error is one screen per step.

There are 78 steps.

78 screen shots, 78 step write ups. Because the steps are to be screened and are, themselves, simple it might be doable in the next odd hours. But it's a very sizable bite to chew, and I may not be up to the task of masticating all that in a single afternoon.

• reelyorreelyor Posts: 235

Tried REDZ tutorial last night. WONDERFUL!! THANKS!!!

I've been looking at how to tutorialize the ERC retention method all week. Which I shouldn't have, and will pay for this week, but I digress. 

Today, I've done a documentation outline and wet run against that outline to sanity check it. It was not sane, so I adjusted the bits. 

One more wet run, during which I will take the necessary screenshots, then I write the tut.

Just to let you know I've not given up. (Because if you follow my history back far enough, you'll see I said I thought I solved a problem before and never followed up. As it happens, I HAD solved the problem, but I was doing it wrong. The idea was correct, the execution was bassackwards.)

I want to finish today, but I make no promises here. I've decide the best way to avoid error is one screen per step.

There are 78 steps.

78 screen shots, 78 step write ups. Because the steps are to be screened and are, themselves, simple it might be doable in the next odd hours. But it's a very sizable bite to chew, and I may not be up to the task of masticating all that in a single afternoon.

*shakes pompoms* you can do it! Looking forward to trying this one out. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Redz said:

I've been looking at how to tutorialize the ERC retention method all week. Which I shouldn't have, and will pay for this week, but I digress. 

There are 78 steps.

*shakes pompoms* you can do it! Looking forward to trying this one out. 

+1

I know I'm not alone, but I just want to say you've been a lot of help to me. As has Redz. Thank you both.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604
    Redz said:

Hi. Is it possible the head morphs have autofollow turned off? That would cause the morph to fail to dial in. To fix it you need to unfit the fitted clone (right click and fit to none) enable autofollow and then fit the clone again. However as Nicstt pointed out, for head and face morphs the quicker and easier method is as outlined in his post and quotes above.

I really don't know what I'm doing here. I went through the GenX conversion again but there was nothing in it about fitting to clones. I tried right clicking the morphs in Vicky 4 and G3F and it doesn't give me any options to fit or unfit clones or anything saying autofollow.

I did try to use the method Nicstt highlighted but this went wrong. I ended up with a G8F with a very strange look to her face, I couldn't find the transferred morphs anywhere and selecting "currently used" in the shapeing tab didn't show any morphs in use.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

This is my first transfer from G3 to G8, it's Isibis for G3, not sure if anyone else mentioned this issue but after the transfer I used the new powerpose to give her some expression and noticed her front teeth seem to have a curve in them.  Has anyone tried this particular character transfer or had the same thing happen with any other teeth? the render is quite large as I wanted to make sure the issue could be seen, 

morph transfer teeth.jpg
    1920 x 1536 - 1M
  • Redz said:

I really don't know what I'm doing here. I went through the GenX conversion again but there was nothing in it about fitting to clones. I tried right clicking the morphs in Vicky 4 and G3F and it doesn't give me any options to fit or unfit clones or anything saying autofollow.

I did try to use the method Nicstt highlighted but this went wrong. I ended up with a G8F with a very strange look to her face, I couldn't find the transferred morphs anywhere and selecting "currently used" in the shapeing tab didn't show any morphs in use.

Based on this, you need to slow dow, read carefully and go one step at a time.

This is not GenX related. Earlier you said you successfully transfered morphs to G3 using GenX. At this point you are done with GenX. If you have not transfered morphs to G3 using GenX, then you need to rephrase your question.

Redz's comments assumed, based on what you said earlier, that you had imported a G8 geometry and fit it to G3, per Redz tutorial. That you had dialed a morph on the G3 and that morph had not transfered to the G8 shape fit to G3. In this exact specific case, you dial the morph back to 0, Select the G8 shell in the Scene tab, right click it, and Fit To. In the Dialog box, change the fit item to None.

Then select G3, return to the morph dial, and click on the little gear icon on the far right side of the slider. In the men, select Parameter Settings. Find the Checkbox Marked Autofollow on the right side of the dialog that opens. Check it. Click Accept.

Select the G8 geometry. In the Scene tab, right click > Fit To. In the dialog change the None to Genesis 3 Female.

Now dial the morph. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Redz said:

Pick a head, just one, and do that; don't do loads, get one working and comfortable with the steps. Just do G3 ATM, to keep the transfers down (although I posted in another thread a GenX I'd transferred as well as textures from G2.)

Write down everything you do - if you don't write it down, don't do it. If it fails, post what you did.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited June 2017

I'm a little late to this discussion and it is now at 16 pages and counting. Could some kind soul point me to what I need to download/read? I see mention of tutorials and helpers and clones by Sickleyield/Redz/Singular Blues but am not sure which I should concentrate on or - especially - where to find them. My main goal riaght now is to trnasfer G3 morphs/characters to G8 but G2F would be a bonus later. Also not sure whether I could transfer things from Zev0 such as Aging/Growing Up/Vascularity?

Post edited by marble on