Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,475

2 Years is plenty of time to get several dozen packs done

• ThatOminThatOmin Posts: 37
    frank0314 said:

2 Years is plenty of time to get several dozen packs done

"Packs done" means...?

Items that you sell in the store are called packs/products. Depending on what your making you can have a lot of products out in 2 years

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,482
    edited June 2017
    ThatOmin said:

I think the options are good but I don't like how they just abandon their other models.

iGenesis.

Kind of. Sort of. Not... entirely.

If you pay close attention to each generation... they have very unique stuff. For instance, Genesis 1 had Anubis (and maybe others too, but I forget its been so long) Genesis 2 introduced the minotaur... reptilian, etc. Genesis 3 introduced... anneka the demon, lavinia the vampire plus male/female centaurs. Thats getting away from the fact that each generation does have specific morphs that are cut going to the next.

So say I want to support the Minotaur... with armor or something. Id have no choice but to go back to genesis 2 for that. If I wanted to do Centaur stuff... Genesis 3. Yeah, that doesnt go for all the figures (a hooman is a hooman, so really you dont have to go backwards there) but for anything else... yeah, its smart how they are doing that. It keeps the older figures very much alive.

I think the biggest problem is two fold: PA's only support where the money is at, and everyone wants the shiny latest figure. Because the sales tend to be stronger on the lastest figure, thats where support follows. These feed into one another.

I wouldnt go as far as to say u should abandon the latest and only buy the old stuff, if u want it supported. Because the new stuff has its merit too. In fact, each generation brings something unique to the table (not just with the DAZ figure and morphs, but with characters and clothing, etc, too) So, Im simply suggesting that most should broaden their horizons and not look at the prior generation as dead in the water. And maybe still buy it... if enuff people did, maybe it wouldnt have so little support.

Post edited by IgnisSerpentus on
  • My bigger concern is not wanting to rebuy all the costly tools and utilities in order to get the same functionality I now have with G3 and previous generations.  This is no small chunk of change...at least, not to me.

Exactly. That's the biggest single issue for me. I'm rather heavily invested in Gen2 and 3, and don't want to have to go back and repurchase EVERYTHING utilities-wise to suit Gen8. Otherwise, I'd buy whatever clothing and characters looked good to me at aht particular moment.

Since I made the first statement, I have had some good experience with G8F.  First, I was able (via Red's morph transfer tutorial on the G8F Morphs thread  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176271/morphs-from-g3-to-g8#latest ) to successfully transfer one of my original characters to G8F.  The skin transferred flawlessly.  This means, that although I might eventually buy a bunch of MR morphs and skins, I don't have to.  That has me MUCH more excited about using G8F.

Also, I had no difficulties with G3F hair or clothing on G8F.  I just chose "full body" whenever Autofit asked me for clothing type.  Considering that this works so well, I'm surprised the dialog bothers to pop up.

So, other than the new pose converter, I really don't have to rebuy anything, yet. 

So yeah, I guess after a bit of complaining, I'm on board.  I do really like the way the new base G8F looks out of the box.  And, with the Transfer Utility, I can use my current characters.

Just an FYI to let everyone know that you can use G8F without doubling your existing cash outlay. :)

• RitaCelesteRitaCeleste Posts: 625

Well, lots of people try to get into this, spend spend spend, then just up and walk away.  "I have lots of clothes, no place to stand people","I never have just what I need for a render", they say. Heck, I've been there. I really like the autofit improvements so new users can have an easier time.  It saves them time, its easier and faster to get going and that is majorly important when people are new.  When I tell people I do this as a hobby, they say it takes too much time and money.  Its hard to learn who can wear what etc.  So many improvements have been made so its easy to find out who can wear an item in daz quickly now.  Daz is trying to make sure that they give the best possible first impression to those who are trying this out for the very first time. I love that. I support that. But to people on a limited budget, where thats a major concern and actually making some art fast instead of building a collection, I wouldn't even recommend jumping on the newest model day one. Older model means good prices and sales.  Older model means add-ons are done, if you need skin builder, its ready. But hey, people have to learn.  I have learned.  I am not rich.  But at the end of the year, I won't add up what I spent, hang my head in shame, and disappear for years (if not forever).  I'm not rich and having the newest toy does not make me a better artist. My art will go unnoticed no matter how old or new the content used is.  I don't profit from this. No customer is demanding I buy the latest and greatest.

But yes its sad they need to push this two year thing and stop making content for a character I have already invested heavily in after only 2 years.  I don't want to be pressured to buy something to be in some "Oh, yeah, I am rich and therefore better than a poor person in everyway!" club.  Lots of great art has been created on a budget.  It is never only about who can afford the most or best or newest toys.  What is wrong with saying I am not always going be able or willing to foot the bill for the latest and greatest toys? Why do I have to get onboard? Will I get a pat on back if my render breaks the bank? No, I won't.  Not with you on this one. Just not.  If it makes you happy, you tell yourself I'm gonna buy it too. Whatever.

• iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
    edited June 2017

>> In fact, each generation brings something unique to the table

This is a good point and I agree. After reading all of you guys' mind, I have a conclusion, we've been tempted (I mean trapped) to spend too much and we fell for it. No one to blame. Just be careful for the next investment and you may feel you can control your fate more! (man, I'm on the same boat. I've spent too much and I'm more mindful now!)

If you're here to make money from selling contents, G8 will be your brand new adventure for big treasure. 

If you're here to find some good contents for your job ads, G8 is your new ideas. 

If you're here to make your fantasies come true, it depends on what you expect, or how big your pocket size is. Whatever, G8 products will hypnotize you more, like, pay... don't wait. You try to resist it and it is more and more painful everyday. Good luck!

Post edited by iSeeThis on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Obviously, I don't have to buy into the new G8 if I don't want to. But that's not why people are up in arms (well not the whole reason.) The biggest issue for me is that Genesis 3 is now dead, as in there will be no new content for G3 released in this store again. That sucks. So if I don't hop on board the G8 train, then I am basically done here as a shopper. That's because while older content might work on G8, the G8 content most certainly will not work on G2 or G3. That is the issue here. If you do not upgrade, you are out of the loop here in this store. You will have to look elsewhere for new content for older models.

Clearly I must be a minority since G8 and V8 broke records for Daz. Well, that's just great for them I guess.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

There will be a trickle of G3 content for a while yet.  Since G3 and G8 can share skin textures, I expect a fair number of characters who can be used on either to come along.  Same with clothing (I actually have it on good authority at least one such outfit is en route)

And there's everything that was already in progress or even at Daz just waiting for a release.

Yes, eventually things will slow to near nothing, but then again, we just got a texture set for a G2F outfit in the Platinum Club a few weeks ago.

Clearly I must be a minority since G8 and V8 broke records for Daz. Well, that's just great for them I guess.

Do you have a source? Watching "trending now"?

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,534

It's too bad about the eyes. The eyes are the windows to the soul.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,315
    iSeeThis said:

Do you have a source? Watching "trending now"?

If you check this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176481/genesis-8-some-stats-and-our-thanks DAZ_Steve states that so far V8 has sold better than V7, so there is the evidence.

Havos said:
    iSeeThis said:
    If you check this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/176481/genesis-8-some-stats-and-our-thanks DAZ_Steve states that so far V8 has sold better than V7, so there is the evidence.

Thank you! I can't see all the flooding threads about G8. Then now it is undisputed formally. Customers are always the top priority judge.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,632
    ArtAngel said:

It's too bad about the eyes. The eyes are the windows to the soul.

...that's what I mentioned in another thread.  The eyes are what make or break facial expressions.  This is why I will probably be staying with G3 for a while as they reduced  the polycount in the face, particularly in the eye region with G8. .

• ThatOminThatOmin Posts: 37
    frank0314 said:

Items that you sell in the store are called packs/products. Depending on what your making you can have a lot of products out in 2 years

Ah thanks for the clarification.

• drzapdrzap Posts: 795

Progress is a good thing.   If a company has the ability to introduce a better product than before (and I know "better" can be a subjective matter),  I don't see why its a negative thing for them to release it.  From what I can see, V9 is better than V8.  This means there are more options available to new users of Daz Studio.  I don't see how this can be a bad thing.   I don't see what all the bellyaching I've been reading on these forums is about.  The PA's will continue creating content for the majority of the market.  That means a lot of G3 users will get new stuff in the future.  The new figures foreshadow even better stuff for those who want to upgrade to G8.  What is there to cry about?  This really befuddles me.  One argument I keep hearing is that the focus will be shifted to the new figures.  Of course!  The new figures are better!  Do you expect progress to stop just because you invested in the previous generations?  I would never want to be invested in a company who holds back new technology because some of their customers don't want to progress on.  To me, that would be insanity.  If you are satisfied with your G3, G2, or even V4 figures, go at it, there is plenty of content to keep you busy (PA's have been creating content for G3 for at least 2 years).  If the new model does something better, then you should be glad for a chance to upgrade.  If you feel compelled to upgrade just because it is newer and shinier, perhaps you should save your doll money and invest it in a good treatment for your addiction.  At the end of the day,  the company has released a better product than before (the degree of improvement is open for debate), it is presented at a reasonable price, and there is no requirement for you to buy or use it.  The new toy doesn't break the old toys and they can be used together in the same software. The marketplace will decide which figure will be most prevelant.  How this can induce such a reaction from so many people is beyond my comprehension.  

I see exciting and attractive items in all the generations of figures.  I don't have a horse in this race yet, I'm just getting started.  But if I did, I would be sorely disappointed if DAZ3D suppressed new improvements to cater to a few complainers who think technology and progress should go more slowly.  Looking forward to Daz Studio 5 and I hope they will give us every improvement they can.

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761

I'm just wondering when are we going to see real innovation in the hair department? Fiber mesh hair looks aweful, conforming hair don't morph or move well, so are we going to be stuck with realistic figures with bad hair?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,903

Drzap: each time there's a new generation, the focus shifts to a small core range of products. This means that more diverse items never (or very rarely) get developed.

Furthermore, many types of content is generation specific, particularly geografts. I can't mix Genesis 2 geografts items with Centaur 7.

Oh, and don't forget things like support for Carrara. If Daz is focused on a 2 year cycle of pushing a new generation, when are they going to get around to working on any of their backburnered items?

Drzap: each time there's a new generation, the focus shifts to a small core range of products. This means that more diverse items never (or very rarely) get developed.

Furthermore, many types of content is generation specific, particularly geografts. I can't mix Genesis 2 geografts items with Centaur 7.

I hear a lot of this on this forum.  A lot of talk about what they can't do.  From my standpoint, that is a very interesting view.  How much time do you spend considering what you can do?  Daz Studio is the state of the art in 3D poseable figures (this is my opinion.  If I am wrong, please show me where I can do better).  There is not a market where human models of this quality can be had in such variety at any price, and believe me, I have been looking.  The only way to get better quality would be to hire a modeler to do a one off job for you (expect to pay at least $1000).  Thats for just one model.  Then you would have to have him model clothes.  After that you would need to buy 3D software to pose and render your model.  Yeah, blender is free but the steep learning curve!   And props? They can also be had for free, but the quality of free props are too often sketchy.  Daz Studio is by no means perfect, but they have historically been catering to a niche market.  Niche usually means expensive, but so far they have kept things very reasonable while at the same time offering state of the art technology.  And you want more?  Wow, you guys are a tough crowd.

Oh, and don't forget things like support for Carrara. If Daz is focused on a 2 year cycle of pushing a new generation, when are they going to get around to working on any of their backburnered items?

Remember what I said about a niche market?  This also means they must stay small and nimble so as to strike a favorable price balance.  You want an almost free, full featured 3d modeling, animation and rendering package while, at the same time, you want them to slow down introducing new improved products to attract more customers (the only other alternative you give them is to hire more people to support the older products as they introduce new ones).  Believe me, I'm not a shill for the company but I know how business works and you guys are asking for the impossible.  Daz3d serves a niche market (a niche of a nich, actually).  It's time for them to grow into the bigger world of 3d media development.  This means opening up their software so that it is easier to integrate with the Big Three (3dsMax, Maya, C4D) and other software supporting the entertainment industry.  This will give them a chance to make bigger profits and grow as a company.  They will never be able to go any further by catering to hobbyist's needs.  Autodesk updates it's products every year.  So does Adobe and most everyone else.  Daz has the best ready-made models in the industry.  I doubt they will let that asset advantage go to waste.  Be happy that the price balance has been favorable for you thus far and hope that they don't have to resort to a price model similar to the one the industry as a whole has been drifting to.  That's the situation I would be worried about if I were you guys.

Drzap: each time there's a new generation, the focus shifts to a small core range of products. This means that more diverse items never (or very rarely) get developed....

If I'm not mistaken, that depends to a large degree on the PA's.  The content producers can create whatever they want, am I not right?  There are many Daz markets on the net, am I not right?  So why not take your beef to them?  They are the source of your solution.  I'm sure if it is known to them and there are enough of you to make a profit, they will provide you with what you want.  I see no benefit in griping publicly to the company who provides the product (the core of which is free of charge) unless it is buggy or not delivering what was promised.  The content developers are right here, let them know what you want!  This is basic economy 101 - supply and demand.  Instead, you attempt to alter the balance of the price model that has allowed you to enjoy your hobby with these wonderful figures?  <shaking my head>

I'm not dismissive or rude about other folks' enjoyment of G8 or preference for this model of release.

I would ask for the same consideration.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,777

"Oh, and don't forget things like support for Carrara.
     If Daz is focused on a 2 year cycle of pushing a new generation, 
    when are they going to get around to working on any of their 
    backburnered items
    ?

If I had to speculate I would say...neversmiley
    Carrara Bryce& Hexgon are likely seen as dead weight.
    They dont produce revenue for the company why commit
    dev team resources to them.
     frankly they are not even competitive in 2017
    when you see threads replete with references to Zbrush usage
     or even blender.

One thing that really burns me is that to a large extent I adopted Genesis 3 when it had a complete feature set (sb3 being the tipping point), for the purpose of working toward becoming a pa.

I spent several hundred dollars doing that, and now ha ha, I get to do that again. But not until stuff actually gets released. Which will probably be another year and a half.

I think I will not be buying any more figure content, following wolf's example.

There is, of course, plenty of other stuff to get.

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798

Well 4 arms on G3 or G8 would make me happy!

• Arkham4930Arkham4930 Posts: 36

In a way, maybe this is a good thing. I've read some posts by people who are similar to me. I was just joking last night about how much money I spend on Daz. Since I have very little interest in moving on to V8, Daz has probably just saved me quite a bit of money. I have plenty of things to work with, I can't get the updated studio to work on my computer, so I'm stuck with the previous version anyways. Now I can just sit back and pick up things here and there.

I'm not dismissive or rude about other folks' enjoyment of G8 or preference for this model of release.

I would ask for the same consideration.

In a nutshell, I said that crying to Daz3d abut their 2 year product cycle (that is the title of this thread) is counterproductive and you may regret the outcome.  If you consider that to be rude, it was not intended to be.  I made no mention of anyone's preference except  that no matter what your preference, instead of complaining you should be enjoying the gravy train.  You really have it good compared to the other options.

Why can't you get it to work on your computer? What is it doing?

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited June 2017
    Copied from the publishing FAQ page:

"SOME OTHER REASONS DAZ MAY HAVE PASSED ON YOUR SET:

It was for an older character"

*drops mic*

Peace
    Post edited by outrider42 on
  • Arkham4930Arkham4930 Posts: 36
    edited June 2017
    frank0314 said:

Why can't you get it to work on your computer? What is it doing?

It's strange. When I was using it, any time I tried to use a slider, say for a morph, it would take a long time to respond. So I couldn't see the changes being made in real time. It was really frustrating. Then, when I started to preview in iray, if I did certain things, like add lights or shaders my computer would sometimes crash. I know it sounds like an issue with my computer (and for all I know... it could be.) I don't have these problems on the version I was using, everything runs pretty smoothly.

Post edited by Arkham4930 on