Okay! Cry and you buy it anyway!

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,311

Oh, and don't forget things like support for Carrara. If Daz is focused on a 2 year cycle of pushing a new generation, when are they going to get around to working on any of their backburnered items?

Of course it is not quite so straightforward as thinking that the people that work/worked on Genesis 8 could now be redeployed to the next version of Cararra/Hexagon etc. Genesis 8 was largely a work for modellers, texture artists etc. If it was the same as Genesis 3, then the mesh was likely the work of one man, ie Michael Lane, although we have not heard from him this time around like we did when Genesis 3 was released.

Cararra/Hexagon and the like needs programmers, and my guess is what few programmers DAZ has either hired and/or contracted, are all working on DS alone.

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,482

One thing that really burns me is that to a large extent I adopted Genesis 3 when it had a complete feature set (sb3 being the tipping point), for the purpose of working toward becoming a pa.

I spent several hundred dollars doing that, and now ha ha, I get to do that again. But not until stuff actually gets released. Which will probably be another year and a half.

I think I will not be buying any more figure content, following wolf's example.

There is, of course, plenty of other stuff to get.

Yeah, I hear ya there. Its honestly not easy to be a vendor (with a financial difficulty of varying degrees depending on what type of content you do) By my best guesstimation, Im prolly into 5-6 figures that Ive spent over my 15 yrs... between software, software upgrades, content for promos, content for doing clothing (which means I need to own ALL the daz figures, for doing morphs) computer equipment, office stuff and more. Granted, its all tax deductible, but it can still be painful.

And when DAZ announced genesis 8, I saw red lol... I was already bang in the middle of a massive one for genesis 3, thats similarly done to Hex. Actually, 2 big ones for Genesis 3 (the other one thats just past the rigging stage and waiting for me to get to it) So I had no choice but to finish it up for g3 or waste my work (and see... there will definitely be more g3 stuff coming soon) and going to convert it to g8, also. WAY more work than I initially anticipated lol I want to die. But its the name of the game, I guess. I have two choices: 1, keep on keeping on.... or 2, Quit. Quitting is not an option for me.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,440
    frank0314 said:

Why can't you get it to work on your computer? What is it doing?

It's strange. When I was using it, any time I tried to use a slider, say for a morph, it would take a long time to respond. So I couldn't see the changes being made in real time. It was really frustrating. Then, when I started to preview in iray, if I did certain things, like add lights or shaders my computer would sometimes crash. I know it sounds like an issue with my computer (and for all I know... it could be.) I don't have these problems on the version I was using, everything runs pretty smoothly.

What GPU are you using and how much VRAM does it have?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897

Typifying someone's complaints as 'crying to Daz' is generally the kind of commentary people consider rude.

Glad you didn't intend to be rude, but now you know and can grow as a person.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited June 2017

Oh, and don't forget things like support for Carrara. If Daz is focused on a 2 year cycle of pushing a new generation, when are they going to get around to working on any of their backburnered items?

...exactly.  Carrara still does not support G3 and now we have G8.  Hexagon has been left wanting for a full update and bug squashing almost as long as I have been involved in this (2007).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • drzapdrzap Posts: 795

Typifying someone's complaints as 'crying to Daz' is generally the kind of commentary people consider rude.

Glad you didn't intend to be rude, but now you know and can grow as a person.

Umm.... did you happen to take a look at the title of this topic?  It's about people that the original poster says are crying.  I'm sure he didn't mean it literally, just as I didn't.  It's a figure of speach.  Don't take it personally.  I don't think anyone else did.

edited June 2017

One thing that really burns me is that to a large extent I adopted Genesis 3 when it had a complete feature set (sb3 being the tipping point), for the purpose of working toward becoming a pa.

I spent several hundred dollars doing that, and now ha ha, I get to do that again. But not until stuff actually gets released. Which will probably be another year and a half.

Yeah, I hear ya there. Its honestly not easy to be a vendor (with a financial difficulty of varying degrees depending on what type of content you do) By my best guesstimation, Im prolly into 5-6 figures that Ive spent over my 15 yrs... between software, software upgrades, content for promos, content for doing clothing (which means I need to own ALL the daz figures, for doing morphs) computer equipment, office stuff and more. Granted, its all tax deductible, but it can still be painful.

And when DAZ announced genesis 8, I saw red lol... I was already bang in the middle of a massive one for genesis 3, thats similarly done to Hex. Actually, 2 big ones for Genesis 3 (the other one thats just past the rigging stage and waiting for me to get to it) So I had no choice but to finish it up for g3 or waste my work (and see... there will definitely be more g3 stuff coming soon) and going to convert it to g8, also. WAY more work than I initially anticipated lol I want to die. But its the name of the game, I guess. I have two choices: 1, keep on keeping on.... or 2, Quit. Quitting is not an option for me.

...as someone who only purchases and uses 3D content, I can easily say, well I'm just going to stick with what I have for now and make it work for me in spite of some who tell me I'm, "limiting" myself (no, my income and budget is doing a good job of that).  For a PA it is a whole different kettle of fish as you have to move forward, or you truly will be left behind which will affect your income in a not so positive way.

I used to do independent Multimedia development back in the mid 90s.  I ended up walking away because, to stay one step ahead of the tech curve (which seemed to be going almost vertical at the time) all of my waking (and sometimes non waking) hours were consumed with pouring over tech journals (the net was nothing like we have today), updating hardware (which was a lot more expensive in those days), performing R&D,  promotion/sales work, and management, all  while keeping abreast of tax laws/obligations, legal matters, and business regulations.  To put it short, I felt I no longer had a life of my own.  I ended up going back to work for someone else earning far less in the process, but discovered I had time for other pursuits in my life again.

I greatly admire our PAs but by the same token do not envy them at all. This is not a huge moneymaking venture (unlike what I did above) as often many creators are making less net per working hour than someone flipping burgers at a fast food joint or making cappuccinos at a coffeehouse while having to invest in much  more than just a uniform and shoes.

• Copied from the publishing FAQ page:

"SOME OTHER REASONS DAZ MAY HAVE PASSED ON YOUR SET:

It was for an older character"

*drops mic*

Peace

That isn't the full text, nor does it say that anything for an older and less popular figure (the full text) will always be rejected, nor does it say that the previous generation is immediately considered "older".

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,482
    kyoto kid said:

...as someone who only purchases and uses 3D content, I can easily say, well I'm just going to stick with what I have for now and make it work for me in spite of some who tell me I'm, "limiting" myself (no, my income and budget is doing a good job of that).  For a PA it is a whole different kettle of fish as you have to move forward, or you truly will be left behind which will affect your income in a not so positive way.

I used to do independent Multimedia development back in the mid 90s.  I ended up walking away because, to stay one step ahead of the tech curve (which seemed to be going almost vertical at the time) all of my waking (and sometimes non waking) hours were consumed with pouring over tech journals (the net was nothing like we have today), updating hardware (which was a lot more expensive in those days), performing R&D,  promotion/sales work, and management, all  while keeping abreast of tax laws/obligations, legal matters, and business regulations.  To put it short, I felt I no longer had a life of my own.  I ended up going back to work for someone else earning far less in the process, but discovered I had time for other pursuits in my life again.

I greatly admire our PAs but by the same token do not envy them at all. This is not a huge moneymaking venture (unlike what I did above) as often many creators are making less net per working hour than someone flipping burgers at a fast food joint or making cappuccinos at a coffeehouse while having to invest in much  more than just a uniform and shoes.

Yeah, and u actually can get by like that. When I first started, I was like most... this was a hobby. We werent in a financial position where I could drop money when and where I wanted... I bought stuff, but it wasn't too often (and not nearly the level of money I drop now lol) So I started making it, to fill my own rendering needs (not to mention learning the art of kitbashing the stuff I already had to repurpose it, as well as how to paint freehand) Somewhere along the way, it turned into my job. It was a very long and difficult road... not an overnight success for sure, and even now, it can still be a gamble sometimes. But it definitely has its perks, too. And well, its not my only income, which definitely helps.

Everyone's gotta make their own choices, and do whats best for them. Totally understand that its hard to afford at times... and I definitely wouldnt want to see anyone refinancing their house or something for a hobby.

I to got into this much the same way. Well, my wife did it out of necessity. I was in a bad car accident and bedridden and had no income coming in. I started by putting a monitor on the footstool and the keyboard on my stomach and modeled away. I came to love it so much I became a PA. It has been a long and hard road as Iggy said. We couldn't afford to buy much stuff so we stated making it ourselves till we built our skills enough to be a merchant. We started our business on another site to break ourselves in then moved to Daz. It is still a difficult road to walk. With the extra long hours daily put into a project we need it to do well. Satisfying the customer is the primary goal number one. You never know if something is going to appeal to anyone so it's a big gamble. If that gamble doesn't pay off you can't feed your family or pay the bills. We only do this, so this is our income since I'm now disabled. To put things into perspective we drop anywhere from $5,000-$10,000 US a year to keep up to date on everything and also buying new software to help. It is encouraging that Daz keeps upping the bar and constantly bringing new tech to the table. It makes it very inspiring to work for a company like them.

• Arkham4930Arkham4930 Posts: 36
    frank0314 said:
    frank0314 said:

Sorry it took so long to reply. I had to go back to work. To show how much I'm into computers, I had to look up how to look that up, hehe.

It's probably not great but, I just do it as a hobby... a very expensive... hobby. my gpu is ATI Radeon 3000 and the ram is 8 gb.

Havos: I realize it's not the same folks, but budget and focus still impacts development.

frank0314 said:
    frank0314 said:

Sorry it took so long to reply. I had to go back to work. To show how much I'm into computers, I had to look up how to look that up, hehe.

It's probably not great but, I just do it as a hobby... a very expensive... hobby. my gpu is ATI Radeon 3000 and the ram is 8 gb.

ATI won't work in Iray you will have to use your processor to do rendering and not sure how much RAM it has. 8GB of RAM and you may experience lagging depending on the scene.

frank0314 said:
    frank0314 said:
    frank0314 said:

ATI won't work in Iray you will have to use your processor to do rendering and not sure how much RAM it has. 8GB of RAM and you may experience lagging depending on the scene.

Ah well... I was kind of surprised that this computer could even handle rendering when I first started playing around with it. I'm fine with what I have for now. It does what I need it to.

edited June 2017
    frank0314 said:
    frank0314 said:
    frank0314 said:

Ah well... I was kind of surprised that this computer could even handle rendering when I first started playing around with it. I'm fine with what I have for now. It does what I need it to.

...I have 12 GB, and when working on big scenes I not only experience lag, but the rendering the process frequently drops into swap mode.  A lot of the latter has to do with having the Daz programme and scene file open at the same time which takes up system resources as well.  If like Reality/Lux, we could close the scene and shut down the programme after launching the render process, that memory would be freed up for rendering.

Of course one would need a standalone version of Iray (which is expensive), and an RIB/batch process interface compatible with Daz.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Nope, not buying any Gen8 characters yet.  I'll happily use the base figure + body, face and expression morphs.  As far as main people sets, I'm waiting for ones that are not Victoria.

edited June 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    frank0314 said:
    frank0314 said:
    frank0314 said:

...I have 12 GB, and when working on big scenes I not only experience lag, but the rendering the process frequently drops into swap mode.  A lot of the latter has to do with having the Daz programme and scene file open at the same time which takes up system resources as well.  If like Reality/Lux, we could close the scene and shut down the programme after launching the render process, that memory would be freed up for rendering.

Of course one would need a standalone version of Iray (which is expensive), and an RIB/batch process interface compatible with Daz.

That makes sense, though I never even considered that having daz open at the same time as the rendering would use up memory. All of my renders take a quite a long time, especially since I started using tips that I've read on here, regarding unselecting render quality and upping the max time and samples. Plus, I always select memory over speed, for fear of my computer. I had one render that took like... 10 hours, lol (it did come out pretty clear). That really doesn't bother me so much. I'll just have it render while I'm sleeping or working and aside from the occasional windows, deciding that I need to shut down... It gives me something to be excited about when I wake up or come home on lunch and such.

Post edited by Arkham4930 on
    edited June 2017

...sounds like you have W10 Home Edition.

Yeah I do a lot of my big render jobs overnight or when I am out running errands for a good part of the day.

It is too bad that Iray can't be paused and resumed at a later time like Luxrender can.  One of the downsides of an integrated render engine.

Trying to scratch together the funds for a memory upgrade to 24 GB (yeah, this is an older system) and a 1080 Ti to get out of the slow lane.

kyoto kid said:

...sounds like you have W10 Home Edition.

You guessed it, ha. It's so annoying. I know that I read how to stop it from shutting down like that, and it worked up until some update. Never got around to checking whether there was a way to stop it, post update.

...supposedly, I understand  you can set it to update at a specific time.  At least that is what I heard. Of course if your computer is off at the scheudled time it will wait until you turn it on. 

Yeah I have all the updates I need for W7. I also have a fairly hefty firewall (my workstation is also no longer connected to the net) and good AV/anti malware utilities.  A bit of a bother for installing new purchases and driver updates as I have to DL them to a notebook then transfer them to the workstation via USB stick though not umanageable. Sadly I no longer can DL a beta version of Daz programme as The notebook doesn't have the DIM since I no longer do 3D work on it (it actually never did as the last version of Daz I had installed on it was 3.1).

kyoto kid said:

...supposedly, I understand  you can set it to update at a specific time.  At least that is what I heard. Of course if your computer is off at the scheudled time it will wait until you turn it on. 

Yeah I have all the updates I need for W7. I also have a fairly hefty firewall (my workstation is also no longer connected to the net) and good AV/anti malware utilities.  A bit of a bother for installing new purchases and driver updates as I have to DL them to a notebook then transfer them to the workstation via USB stick though not umanageable. Sadly I no longer can DL a beta version of Daz programme as The notebook doesn't have the DIM since I no longer do 3D work on it (it actually never did as the last version of Daz I had installed on it was 3.1).

Setting it for specific times is a bit hard for me. I keep strange hours. If I set it for when I'm asleep or at work, it'll probably shut down while rendering, and any other time, I'm likely using my computer. I just try to remember to save as often as possible, that way all I lose is the render time.

That sounds pretty painstaking but, through all of the frustrations and hurdles, it is a very fun and fulfulling experience... when things go right, ha.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Windows 10 Home lets you set what your active hours are, and from that info it will decide when it wants to install updates and restart your computer.  And if I remember correctly, you can only set up an 8 hour block as your active hours.  There is a workaround that stops it dead in it's tracks though. [I'm currently using it right now on my notebook since I'm stuck away from home for a month and on a metered internet connection (Cell phone hot spot)]

Right click on your "This PC" and select "Manage"
    Double click on "Services and Applications"
    Click on "Services"
    Find "Windows Update" on the list and double click on it
    Make sure that next to "Service status" it says "Stopped"  If it says anything else click on the "Stop" button
    On "Startup type" change it to "Disabled"
    Click on "OK" and close the management window

When you want to run windows update you can go back here and change it to "Manual" then "OK"
    Then open the Start Menu and type "Windows Update"

...yeah being retired I'm the same way, really don't have a fixed schedule which is good as sometimes I'll find myself working away then look up to see its like 03:45.  Had I accepted the "free" offer, I too would have W10 Home and be dealing with dodging auto updates and reboots.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,819

I love new content, I love new figures and a new figure release every 2 years seams completley reasonable to me. Somehow something has to develope. We know, there'll be a Victoria 9, we knew a Victoria 8 was about to come. G8 release ripped a hole in my wallet, but man I have fun with it.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    You can also tell windows 10 your internet connection is metered (unless you have a moral aversion to lying to your operating system). Just right click your internet connection go to properties and the option will be right there. Not only does it not download updates til I tell it, it doesn't even bug me about it.

...but is that W10 Pro? The Pro Edition offers several more options for the extra 99$ (though you still cannot "pick and choose" which updates to install like in the past).  Also as I learend you can't totally rid yourslf of Cortana on Home Edition.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I have W10 Pro and it's just offering things you'd likely never use that are mainly meant for use within business lans for co-worker collaboration and automated OS maintaince and security policies. 

If I had not of gotten Windows 10 Pro free I would of bought Windows 10 Home.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,985

I have W10 Pro and it's just offering things you'd likely never use that are mainly meant for use within business lans for co-worker collaboration and automated OS maintaince and security policies. 

If I had not of gotten Windows 10 Pro free I would of bought Windows 10 Home.

If going for win 10 yeah go for the pro version as it does have features tha the home version doesn't..

Wait... cornea and eye moisture is one thing in G8? Isn't that... bad?

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Not too much about this process is strange to me. I mean, it's like Apple dropping a new phone.

You don't HAVE TO buy it and UPGRADE. You don't.

Of course some wish- their current love, Genesis 3 in this case, remained the focal point.

But that's normal. Resources will slowly dwindle. Promised updates and fixes will not occur.

Your mainstay will be considered Finished and having reached its developmental limit.

Some things you wanted were included in the new release (In Daz 4.X and Gen8) and some things weren't.

We have WEAR THEM ALL and there will probably be a Gen8 version of that too, where you'll have it all at your disposal.

- I always keep my old phone and don't upgrade until it breaks (or the battery dies and I can't get a new one)

------------ for video game systems, it's supposed to be the exclusives that drive new adopters. That hasn't been a compelling enough reason.

'aint no one outfit gonna make me jump to generation X to wear it' lol

8 will eventually be the common figure and everyone will be using the new resources.

---------------

I didn't want to go iray when it came out.

Who doesn't miss those 3Delight render times?

I do, but EVERYTHING is iray. Everything.

And the results are better, to me.

So, for older stuffs, as I just learned- is reason to go backwards.

What's promising is, someday.....AHHHHHHHHHH

Genesis 3 stuff will be THE BLOW OUT ITEMS and man will I be expanding my library.

By then, gen 8 stuff will probably replace the 415 Wish List items there now, easily, but what a wonderful time that is going to be.

For that reason alone, I'm kinda glad V8 is here. lol