Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 10

Comments

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Horo said:

BradCarsten - difficult to answer in a few words. Bryce can natively use up to 2 GB of memory provided that much is available. The opsys takes about 1 GB or more, depending which one you run (Win 2000, XP, Win7, Win 10). If you have more than 4 GB installed memory, you can boost up Bryce to work with about 3.2 GB when you make it large address aware (LAA). Bryce saves the source file compressed and the compression is done in memory before it is saved. This can take quite a chunk of the memory, that is released after the file is saved but if there's not enough available, Bryce crashes and the file is not saved. Additionally, there is the undo (ctrl-z) option which keeps the history for 16 steps and fills up the memory. The memory can only be reclaimed when saving the scene, quit Bryce, restart it and load your scene. The video on my webstite (Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Videos > Horo > 19. Bryce Memory Shortage – and what you can do about it) tells you how to make Bryce LAA and also points to a small tool with which you can monitor the memory Bryce uses at any moment (better than the Task Manager, which shows all memory usage of the computer).

That's right, Horo, except that I have already written several times about this:
    4 GB of memory is not enough for LAA. OC can take up to 2.5 GB.
    And the most important thing is to reduce the raster texture. For this picture size, 256x256 or even less is enough. This can be done in 2 - 3 clicks without leaving Bryce.

I'm going through the Bryce mentoring tutorial and used the principles of the "Setting up a simple scene" video to create this scene. 

(lens flare and fog added in photoshop.)

One thing that I don't understand though, is that the caste was a pretty low resolution- I think each texture map was no larger than 2MB, and there couldn't have been more than 20 files, but the scene kept running out of memory. I don't know how people add so many objects to a scene (Like Eastgate snowing at the top of this page)

BradCarsten, this question has already been asked many times. Read this thread carefully. 

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,246

Hansmar - awesome love the colors

Electro-Elvis - very nice render, like the moss

Horo - both your renders are superb, outstanding

Slepalex - the liked render is awesome

BradCarsten - a beauiful render

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115

Horo : outstanding night landscape.

BradCarsten : Very nice image.

• Thanks again Horo and Slepalex, you've given me a lot of options to look at. 

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,365
    edited January 2019

mermaid - thank you.

adbc - thank you.

Nothing special, three terrains, a water terrain, HMS Victory from DAZ 3D and an HDRI. The lighntings were extracted from photos I made almost 2 years ago, prepared and put on 2D faces.

Storm Clouds

StormClouds.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 171K
    Post edited by Horo on
    Horo said:

mermaid - thank you.

adbc - thank you.

Nothing special, three terrains, a water terrain, HMS Victory from DAZ 3D and an HDRI. The lighntings were extracted from photos I made almost 2 years ago, prepared and put on 2D faces.

Beautiful seascape. 

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,824

Horo: Great seascape and very nice sky.

• Horo: Beautiful scene, especially likeed the testure and illumination on the cliffs.

Horo : excellent render, beautiful sky with lighting, great texture on the terrain and the reflection on the water.

edited January 2019

Two times the same landscape from me. Made with a number of terrains (made in Bryce, no external tools used). One with a sunset HDRI I found somewhere in a set and no sun. The other one with sun and with a sky by David Brinnen. Bird and boat are freebies.

Sunset_terrain.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Sunset_terrain2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 649K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 863
    edited January 2019

Thanks for the friendly comments. @Slepalex: You wrote "Moss on the stone can be made a procedural texture, it is much cheaper." You are surely right, but I am not so experienced with DTE as you are . BTW the rain is one of Dave Brinnen's Pro Materials SFX. I switched off the anti aliasing here, because I found it makes the raindrops too blurry.

@Hansmar: This wafting sun is a true eyecatcher. Nice work. The second scene has a complete different mood, but also looks beautiful. One little thing here may be the shadow, it is quite sharp.

@Horo: Your ship scene is really a wonderful made picture. The light is excellent. The only thing I am not that fond of is the water. I like your nightly landscape very much, too.

@BradCarsten: Wow, marvellous picture, very atmospheric. I'm afraid I can't give you an answer, why Bryce crashes at you. Your scene does not look too complex. That should really not cause the problem.

I worked on the picture below lately. More details to it you found here https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/721166/

gettingnervous.jpg
    1150 x 862 - 274K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on

Slepalex - thank you.

Hansmar - thank you. Nice terrain work, the sun looks great, just like atmospheric distortion as seen in a tele-lens. The overcast scene has a different mood and is also charming in its way. I agree with Electro-Elvis about the shadow from the near ridge on the water. The reflection on the water underneath the shadow looks fine.

Dan - thank you.

adbc - thank you.

Electro-Elvis - thank you; I worked quite long on the water terrain and material and after all those iterations, I'm still not fully convinced.
    Excellent bar scene from you. Your characters look always realistic. Although the lady is the focus, the chap behind her is also excellently done. Great use of DOF.

Thanks for the friendly comments. @Slepalex: You wrote "Moss on the stone can be made a procedural texture, it is much cheaper." You are surely right, but I am not so experienced with DTE as you are . BTW the rain is one of Dave Brinnen's Pro Materials SFX. I switched off the anti aliasing here, because I found it makes the raindrops too blurry.

@Hansmar: This wafting sun is a true eyecatcher. Nice work. The second scene has a complete different mood, but also looks beautiful. One little thing here may be the shadow, it is quite sharp.

@Horo: Your ship scene is really a wonderful made picture. The light is excellent. The only thing I am not that fond of is the water. I like your nightly landscape very much, too.

@BradCarsten: Wow, marvellous picture, very atmospheric. I'm afraid I can't give you an answer, why Bryce crashes at you. Your scene does not look too complex. That should really not cause the problem.

I worked on the picture below lately. More details to it you found here https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/721166/

Electro-Elvis, great work with lighting. DOF is quite appropriate, as it highlights the main object in the picture. How long did the render last?
    I have some notes on the scene composition. This minor character (male) is too much in the background. It is necessary to move the girl closer to the center in order to cover the man’s shoulder. Further. I would flip the picture horizontally, as shown below. This is a purely psychological effect. The fact is that in most countries of the world the text is read from left to right (with the exception of Arabic and Hebrew). Similarly, at the subconscious level, the pictures are also viewed from left to right. And the first striking this man, as he takes a lot of space in the frame. This is not logical. And if you turn the picture, then you need to turn the shoulders of the girl in the other direction. In other words, you need to swap the girl and the guy in the original picture.

recently-in-a-bar_full.jpg
    1150 x 862 - 272K

Hansmar : both landscapes are awesome, Electro-Elvis is right about the shadows.

Electro-Elvis : very realistic scene.

edited January 2019

A terrain made with 16 terrain tiles double stacked in a fading mirror box.

Lake Country

LakeCountry.jpg
    1200 x 810 - 287K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Horo:Cool image - nice trick to get "infinite" terrains.

edited January 2019

Electro-Elvis: Thanks. Indeed, you are correct. Somehow that shadow came out very shart. I've redone with soft shadows.

Sunset_terrain2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 649K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Electro-Elvis: great scene. I agree with Slepalex, that the man is a bit too dark in the background. Regarding his suggestions for moving the girl and flipping the scene, I do not necessarily agree. There would be more link between the two figures if they had a little more overlap in the picture. Now there is no real connection. And I myself tend to make pictures (e.g. when painting) that run from left to right, in agreement with Slepalex' psychological assessment. However, I think we should not always do what comes naturally. It is good to break from the expected approach and make a picture that reads from right to left.

Horo: Wonderful terrain! The fading mirror box is a very neat trick. The sixteen tiles is good as well, but I am too lazy to do this, in general. Nevertheless, good to have it in the toolbox.

I must admit, that I only used th HDRI, that already contained this wavy sun. I am not guilty of creating that HDRI. But indeed, it is very nice!

Hansmar said:

Electro-Elvis: great scene. I agree with Slepalex, that the man is a bit too dark in the background. Regarding his suggestions for moving the girl and flipping the scene, I do not necessarily agree. There would be more link between the two figures if they had a little more overlap in the picture. Now there is no real connection. And I myself tend to make pictures (e.g. when painting) that run from left to right, in agreement with Slepalex' psychological assessment. However, I think we should not always do what comes naturally. It is good to break from the expected approach and make a picture that reads from right to left.

Hans, I did not say that the man in the background is too dark. Dark - this is correct, as this is a minor detail. In this case, there is not and should not be any connection with the main character (girl). I said that this minor character is too much in the frame. He takes on too much attention.
    More on the composition. Yes, you can leave the girl in the left side of the frame, but you need to deploy her body (shoulders) to the center of the scene, otherwise the picture falls into two unrelated parts. 

Horo : good idea to use a fading mirror box, that makes a very beautiful render.

Hansmar : your last render looks much better with the soft shadows.

Dan - thank you.

Hansmar - thank you. The shadow softness improved your render.

adbc - thank you.

•  

Hi All;

Hope everyone is having a good New Year - certainly  some excellent Bryce images to kick it off. It’s also my 66th Birthday, yikes!

Here’s a couple of images I did over the holidays.

“The Princess Guard”

Another example of texture size reduction to get more content into Mac Bryce’s 2 gig memory limit. Features 1971s Bridge House model and clouds by Horo.

“DON’T DO THAT!”

An homage to “B” horror flicks where characters do very stupid things, usually with disastrous (often fatal) results. Architexture  by Stonemason. Critter created in Modo.

The characters, outfits and hair in both images are from DAZ3D.

“BabyBot Discovers a Tesla Tree”

All the discussion of terrains on this forum led me to mess around with terrains created from the DTE which led to this image. Custom Bryce tree. Bot created in Modo.

Thanks for viewing!

guard.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 395K
    DON’T_DO_THAT..jpg
    1200 x 750 - 313K
    BabyBot.jpg
    1500 x 562 - 440K

Dan - just coming from looking at the galleries where I discovered your artwork. Great job, I really like what you do with Bryce. Congrats to your 66th, I'll have my yours+4 in a good month.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited January 2019

An abstract using metaballs within a mirrored sphere and the default Bryce sky

@Mermaid010, very beautiful abstraction! Shapes are pleasant (smooth, tasty, delicious!) and colour decision is calming. It also reminds me some cute robot in a way (perhaps, like MegaMan).

Sponza model

Now i recognize Sponza scene that you, Horo and others experimented with. Is there a history on such models, who seem to be used by 3d enthisiasts as testing objects? I see David Brinnen often use Stanford Dragon as "guinea pig" figure, and Sponza seems to fullfill similar role, but as architecture piece. Need to say, before this thread i encountered Sponza elsewhere, it was used by my friend who codes his own computer game engine, so he used Sponza as base to test new renderer he wrote. At that point i didn't know that Sponza was universal among 3D CG community (i thought it was just among gamedev circles). Speaking of pigs, a pity that following thread didnt went anywhere https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/280661/clean-install-missing-water-materials-and-decorated-pigs

MonkeyT said:

Among my favorite ongoing discussions is a long-running thread called "Decorated Pig", which uses one of the sample scenes included with the application to highlight new, user-created materials they wish to share, along with discussion of how they crafted them.  It's a great resource for users to learn how the fairly complex, node-based texture editor works.  I think this forum could benefit from a formalized materials thread in much the same way - both the simple texture editor and the DTE are pretty tough things to learn on your own

...but perhaps something like that already existed here (or on old forums).

Post edited by akmerlow on
    Slepalex said:
    Hansmar said:

Hans, I did not say that the man in the background is too dark. Dark - this is correct, as this is a minor detail. In this case, there is not and should not be any connection with the main character (girl). I said that this minor character is too much in the frame. He takes on too much attention.
    More on the composition. Yes, you can leave the girl in the left side of the frame, but you need to deploy her body (shoulders) to the center of the scene, otherwise the picture falls into two unrelated parts. 

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood. Regarding unrelated parts, I do agree. The girl and the man can be made to visually connect more to make more union in the render. 

• @Dan Whiteside: Congratulations! I appreciate your work especially with characters in Bryce.

Dan, congratulations with your birthday. 66 is not that old, is it? Nowadays we are supposed to be working up to (and beyond) that age. I like your three renders. Wonderful bridge and buildings in the first one and original tree and bot in the third one. But I like the second one best, because of the humorous story in it.

Dan Whiteside : three excellent renders. Congratulations with your birthday !

This discussion has been closed.