The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    Chohole said:

Thanks Jan for trying to return the thread to it's normal happy meandering self.

You're welcome. smiley 

A good dose of crazy will do wonders sometimes.

• I think the wireless USB adapter is dying.  Updating the drivers doesn't resolve the issue of crashes while I am using the internet.  I can't blame the heat because it is cool.  It will be cloudy all day.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,146
    ps1borg said:

The edge of the cyclone that trashed Adelaide iz blowing in here, even worse is mixed messages about when and how much. Oh well can't fit any more beer in the fridge anyhow and if the power does go off It will all need drinking before it gets warm :)

Oh!  Stay safe!

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,146

If you think you've had a bad day, consider this guy: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37481251  Ouch!

Moral of story: "Look before you leak."

Ouch!  

Dana

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

rendering some sale swag.  

getting ahead on da holidays, lol

dis one moved into my neighborhood?  is a blustery day out.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,951

Why would an adorably cute fur ball leave really stinky stuff in his box?   One problem with visiting my mum is Oscar.  He tends to leave real stinky stuff in his box. I love my mum.  I like Oscar but he needs to cut back on those treats or something.  

On other news I got a phone test kit yesterday.

Kitties and doggies, fix them even if they are not broken.  Do it before it is too late.  (Aka they have kittens or puppies and you would have more to feed and fix)

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,044

Where do people get all these cute owls from... Is there an owl store somewhere?

100 Acre Wood smiley

made myself a new desktop background, mebbe can squeeze a cute owl in there

new background1.jpg
    1152 x 864 - 267K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055

Sorry to bring things down. So here's something cute.

edited September 2016

tee hee tee hee heeee

http://www.vivalasvegasweddings.com/hounddog.htm

Elvis wedding packages.  

David5 gonna pop the question to Gianni6.    what will he say?  hopes he's not holding out for a David7.
    Will Freak5 object?  Is Freak5 in love with Gianni?  As the World Turns

The Cake

Post edited by Mistara on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,673
    edited September 2016

just had my two upper wisdom teeth pulled, and now my jaw is swollen and hurty. so of course i want french fries and pizza. crying sad

Post edited by zombietaggerung on

ouch!!  sympathies!

Found it.

• MistyMist said:

ouch!!  sympathies!

thanks. I got some pain killers, but they make me sooooo sleepy -_-

@Tjohn that gave me a chuckle. so punny. 

Firefox is acting up on me. Either that or my internet sucks.

From time to time, all internet sucks.

Tjohn said:

From time to time, all internet sucks.

I am also having difficulty downloading something called Urban Sprawl 3 OBJ but having difficulties.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Not much difference between night and day a while after dawn this gloomy grey Thursday, there is a large storm blowing in, or not, maybe, seems to depend which radio or TV is on at the time. Wind is picking up right now anyway :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825
    edited September 2016
    McGyver said:

My dad's Cannon printer stopped working after 6+ years.  The error message said that some parts need service.  The printer was working fine until we saw the error message.  Planned obsolescence might be a real idea with printers.

Oh, definitely... Take a new one apart... Take an old one apart... Day and night. 

I get trying to keep costs down, but when you look at certain choices in materials from an engineering standpoint, either people are ignorant of a material's durability VS a better material's with a tiny, almost nonexistent price difference or it's done deliberately... 

It's not just printers... It's everything.

Almost every time anything breaks, I try and fix it (for me, friends, family... People are always asking me to fix stuff) or I at least take it apart to see why it broke (and scavenge any usable hardware or parts).

I'd have to say that in my experience, 85% or more of the time it is negligent design (or deliberate), or horrible choice of material (typical example- using Styrene plastic over ABS or Nylon... Just plain garbage soft cheap plastic... Plus in some cases it gets a petroleum based lubricant on it that eventually disintegrates it).

You used to see a consumer product enter the market and it would have bugs, but if you took apart later models those issues would be resolved or in the very least an attempt made at addressing the problem.

Newer products don't do that...  you see the original problem plus worse cheaper flimsy materials or bad design compounding the original problem... Even in stuff only months apart in production... It's like they are trying to outdo the crappyness of the previous model... It particularly kills me when the price goes up, but the newer thing is a lesser product.

It's almost as though, when you look at the problem and you just can't see how someone would expect the part to last more than a month or two that you just have to assume there is some sort of industry guideline as to what point people except something breaking and won't return it and STILL buy the same brand. With all the data collection I can't see someone not tapping into that equation and not exploiting it.

Sadly, I really think people are generally to blame... Nobody cares that stuff breaks down so easy, nobody holds manufacturers accountable for the crap they shuck out, any consumer protection agencies that exist have virtually no authority anymore, even in the most extreme cases... And nobody really cares.

It gives manufacturers virtual cart blanch to do and charge what they please.

Its just part of the evolutionary socioeconomic crapification of everything.

The worst thing is when you complain, people treat you like you are unreasonable... I buy a pair of sneakers, same brand that I've been buying for years and suddenly they don't last more then two weeks because instead of co-molding the sole, it's a halfassed glued on part... Not only is it a tripping hazard when it starts falling off, but it actually costs more now... But I'm expecting too much.

Apparently not expecting a flap of delaminated rubber snagging the curb is a lofty expectation these days.

Maybe most people just blindly throw stuff out, never thinking to return it or complain... They never realize how often stuff breaks or they are uniformed as to what a reason lifespan is for a product is... Or they either are just plain egar to get the newest and coolest that they are fine with it... Or maybe it's the idiots who five star stuff in reviews with comments like:  "love it, I opened the box and it's exactly what I ordered! : five stars!" Or "I sent my uncle this and he got it the next day!!!!! five stars!"... Or "love it, it's so much of a nicer blue then in the picture! Five stars!"...?

Take stuff apart... Fix stuff and you'll be appalled by the level of craptastical crapification that just infests almost everything these day.

Planned obsolescence is almost a whimsical phrase... It's borderline malicious indifference/deception in some cases.

Sorry to go on about that, but it's a thorn in my side that bugs me.

...yeah I have been noticing this too.  I remember when a pair of old 5$ canvas and rubber Keds or PF flyers lasted couple years (as long as you didn't grow out of them).  Had a new pair of 120$ Nikes given to me and they began falling apart in around six months. and I'm nowhere near as rough on shoes in my old age as I used to be when I was a kid.

Sad how so much stuff is made so cheaply these days, from toys, to clothing, to appliances, to cars, to even houses and apartment buildings. ANd the prices they charge are ridiculous for what you get.

Those balsa gliders I mentioned a couple pages ago, they have pretty much been replaced by cheaply made styrofoam ones.costing 5$ - 10$ or more and don't fly nearly as well.

[Cool SCAYT spell check works again]

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited September 2016
    Chohole said:

Thanks Jan for trying to return the thread to it's normal happy meandering self.

For newer members of the complaint thread community I remind you of the beginnings and history of the complaint thread, which dates right back to the original iteration of the forum.  It started life as the antithesis of the negative threads that were proliferating in the forums.

It's a fun thread, an often sarcastic and ironical thread, a thread that distracts and sometimes makes people laugh. It is not a serious complaint thread.

And with owls,  they do seem to feature in legend and mythology on both sides of the spectrum, depending on the part of the world.

The Wise old owl part came from way back. 

Athena was the Greek goddess of wisdom, and is often portrayed with an owl as companion. Homer relates a story in which Athena gets fed up with the crow, who is a total prankster. She banishes the crow as her sidekick, and instead seeks out a new companion. Impressed with the owl’s wisdom, and levels of seriousness, Athena chooses the owl to be her mascot instead. The specific owl that represented Athena was called the Little Owl, Athene noctua, and it was a species found in great numbers inside places like the Acropolis.

w00t w00t

o.jpg
    1500 x 628 - 23K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825
    edited September 2016
    MistyMist said:

...well, dry here for a couple more days before everything changes. Slow cooldown to below normal temps beginning on Friday through all of next week with water from the sky on now and then.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

The edge of the cyclone that trashed Adelaide iz blowing in here, even worse is mixed messages about when and how much. Oh well can't fit any more beer in the fridge anyhow and if the power does go off It will all need drinking before it gets warm :)

Oh!  Stay safe!

Dana

We're good thanks, everything that can blow away already has over the years I guess :)

edited September 2016
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

...well, dry here for a couple more days before everything changes. Slow cooldown to below normal temps beginning on Friday through all of next week with water from the sky on now and then.

Tv iz saying wind is strong enough to rip electricity pylons out of the ground.

mp.jpg
    531 x 495 - 56K

trying to think.  Do I have Bryce installed or not?  hmmmm how to remember?

ps1borg said:
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

your wind from south pole?

think ours from Canada

Nope Bryce is not installed.  Going to do that now.

edited September 2016
    MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

think ours from Canada

Is local, you can see the eye in the photo think that makes it not a tropical cyclone, more of a local hurricane, 2 x gale force winds + anyhow

local.jpg
    700 x 467 - 88K
    ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:

think ours from Canada

Is local, you can see the eye in the photo think that makes it not a tropical cyclone, more of a local hurricane, 2 x gale force winds + anyhow

was readin bout the 22 power poles wind broke

This discussion has been closed.