The OMG It is 2017 This thread's end is Nigh Complaint Thread.

Comments

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    kyoto kid said:

I feel upset.  I feel like I have to rehome all my goldfish and give up having pet goldfish forever.

...why?

I do not know why persay.  I am afraid I am not a good fish caretaker and they need better homes.   I have 6 goldfish in a fifty five gallon tank and one of them is sick.

All of our -- husband, daughter, me -- animals were and are long-lived, except for goldfish.  They were persnickety rascals. 

I do hope that one gets better. :-)  If it doesn't...well, critters will get sick. 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,735

I feel like a particular forum has almost banned me because I have three goldfish more than their recommended number in the tank.  I have a fifty five gallon aquarium and I think two or three goldfish are too few for that size tank.  Should I quit my goldfish hobby or that forum?

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    kyoto kid said:
    ps1borg said:

Morning. Just slept for eighteen hours straight, iz Wednesday here already Oscar Mike Golf was Saturday last time I looked, or maybe monday the past few days have been like endless water sliding with clothes on. And Whisky Tangi Foxtrot spellcheck trying to crash my ipad ! 

...as I mentioned above, forum spellcheck stopped working  for me.

Looks like a ltency issue, it should run asynchronously but seems to want to kidnap the input stream and synchronize with my virtual keystrokes from a half a planet away, from me here anyhow. Don't see that on a desktop connected via DSL and in theory at least the cell data from my ipad ought to have less latency than DSL data over fibre.

MistyMist said:

"Murder by Death" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_by_Death

Almost everybody in photo below.  Missing are Alex Guiness (the blind butler "Butlermum", and Nancy Walker the deaf cook), also Truman Capote is under the hat in foreground.  And Estelle Winwood is partially hidden behind Peter Falk.

i enjoy that movie.  when it was on hbo, back in the day, watched it several dozen times.

Didn't the title give away the ending ?

kyoto kid said:

I feel upset.  I feel like I have to rehome all my goldfish and give up having pet goldfish forever.

...why?

I do not know why persay.  I am afraid I am not a good fish caretaker and they need better homes.   I have 6 goldfish in a fifty five gallon tank and one of them is sick.

*hugs* you been keeping goldfish for too long to take advise from teh internet, and anyhow everyone knows internet advice is worth what it costs :0

ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

Almost everybody in photo below.  Missing are Alex Guiness (the blind butler "Butlermum", and Nancy Walker the deaf cook), also Truman Capote is under the hat in foreground.  And Estelle Winwood is partially hidden behind Peter Falk.

i enjoy that movie.  when it was on hbo, back in the day, watched it several dozen times.

I heard there was a movie called the Bridge too far, but I also heard that it was a movie too long,

ps1borg said:
    kyoto kid said:

...why?

*hugs* you been keeping goldfish for too long to take advise from teh internet, and anyhow everyone knows internet advice is worth what it costs :0

Thanks, I probably should find a better forum for goldfish care.  One that would not treat me as bad as they do.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

I feel like a particular forum has almost banned me because I have three goldfish more than their recommended number in the tank.  I have a fifty five gallon aquarium and I think two or three goldfish are too few for that size tank.  Should I quit my goldfish hobby or that forum?

goldfish grow very big.  2 would be enough for 55 gallons smiley  
    my cousin had one goldfish and a sucky fish in 55 gallons.  sucky had a big mouth, he clinged, kinda tigery fish lookin

ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

was a plot twister of an ending smiley

i hear an owl outside  whooo hoo whoooo

MistyMist said:

Supposed to be an omen.  I forget of what though. :-)

Sorry about my bad mood last night.  Well I was really upset but now I feel a bit better after a few hours of sleep.  I need to go back to sleep as it is basically one thirty in the morning.   I have work in the morning and a possible doctor appointment.

As for that forum, it was a bunch of miscommunication.  I am not getting rid of my goldfish at this time.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,093
    MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

Deathtrap!  Michael Caine, Christopher Reeve, Dyan Cannon.  Great movie, great twists...ending surprised me, which is tough to do.

Dana

The edge of the cyclone that trashed Adelaide iz blowing in here, even worse is mixed messages about when and how much. Oh well can't fit any more beer in the fridge anyhow and if the power does go off It will all need drinking before it gets warm :)

DanaTA said:
    MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

Deathtrap!  Michael Caine, Christopher Reeve, Dyan Cannon.  Great movie, great twists...ending surprised me, which is tough to do.

Dana

anything more complicated than boy meets girl causes sleepies :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    MistyMist said:
    ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

Yeah, turns out the bridge didn't end at the island, so all the cars drove off the end and into the sea . . .

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,026
    edited September 2016
    Jan19 said:
    MistyMist said:

Harbinger of death.

Post edited by TJohn on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited September 2016
    ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

Well, certainly watching it first time did!  OMG "several dozen times"? surprise Were you hoping for a different result?.  Even "Clue" only had four endings. devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

I rented a 3 day rental movie on VUDU and forgot to watch it in time.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

A couple of things...

First, about the forum that wants to ban you... Is it a fish forum?... With all due respect for people's feelings and interests, if it is... Some of those folks are a little nuts... I'm not how shall I say...?  "Lacking knowledge about fish"?... My step grandfather used to own a pet store when I was very little (so no joke about knowing monkeys and a lot of the creatures I inject into my nonsense), at home he used to breed a lot of fish, fancy guppies, swordtails, mollys, platys and goldfish at home (we lived with him then), when I got older, I used to breed (and sell) tetras, cichlids and a few labyrinth fish (most of them were still uncommon at the time)... I owned everything written by Dr. David R. Axelrod (at the time a leading authority on tropical fish) and wanted to become a marine biologist (when I'd visit my biological father in Italy, I'd spend my whole summer underwater catching and studying sea creatures)... Had the stupid NYC school system not "zoned" me out of going to a special school that specialized in marine biology classes, I probably would be in water arguing with dolphins right now... But... Having said all that, my point is I'm not completely stupid about fish...

So a few years ago when my daughters were little, they came back from day camp with four little goldfish... What people in pet stores call "feeder" goldfish... I was mortified (the freaked out one, not the one where you are shot at with mortar rounds)... What the hell were they thinking? Not the kids (they don't think, I already knew that), but the people at the camp... You just don't show up with fish in a bag... I can only imagine most of the kid's fish not lasting more than a day or two if even... But... I still had one of my fish tanks (at one time I had 22-24, 30 gallon tanks)... A lone surviving 30 gallon tall tank... These were small fish about 2 inches long at most... My daughter's were already in love with them and they were staying... So I busted out that 30 gallon tank and all the equipment I had and set them up... This was stuff that was meant for hard to keep fish that die if you look at them too hard.

The tank set up just fine they were doing fine and then after about a week one just up and died... Perfectly happy in the morning but dead in the afternoon... So not wanting to break the kids hearts, I held a private funeral and buried the little guy in the yard and ran out to visit every pet store in the county until I found one that matched that one's color pattern... Which of course each fish had to be very unique looking.

Within a few weeks, that happened to a different fish... And the process repeated... By the way... Nobody at a pet store wants to catch you a particular 50¢ Goldfish in a tank with 200 others... You have to talk up people, joke, make small talk, and even be charming (not my forte) so they will go that extra step... In each case the fish were doing fine... All the others were doing fine and then bam... One just died... Actually, that first replacement fishy, lived seven years and I secretly started to think she was a serial killer fish...(she wasn't)...(really)... 

So when one of the fish one day started to look ill, I went online and started to read up on what the problem could be... Which was useless because most of the suggestions were geared towards people attempting to keep gold fish in a coffee mug or it was stuff with obvious symptoms... I read a few fish forums... Some people seemed to be a little militant in their views, but I took that with a grain of salt and registered at two and posted my dilemma, asking if there was some disease going around or something I was missing...

Apparently there are fish nazis... And I'm a fish serial killer... People ignored the fact that I went through a lot of trouble making sure the fish were in ideal conditions for fancy goldfish... They ignored that these were feeder fish living in horrible conditions... All they locked onto was I was buying fish and they would die on me and I keep buying fish and I was a horrible person for doing that... Evil actually. I should have called the authorities on the camp, I should have never allowed the kids to take the fish home... 

They ignored the fact that one of my girls was so upset that one of fish looked sick that she couldn't sleep and that these poor little fish had a home were they were being cared for and loved... Hell, I was asking these idiots for help... Maybe I cared too?

Soooo much misplaced anger.

But no, no help just ranting and the two or three people that actually read what I wrote instead of jumping to conclusions after a sentence or two, really just covered basic problems anyone should know to begin with.

So what was my point?... You can't please some people... They see the world one way and if you don't comply you are evil. Bam. Period. No backsies.

About the fish... Eventually I came across a store where I talked to the owner, he was a smart person with an analytical mind and he just said flat out what I really hadn't fully considered... Most of the goldfish, no matter how expensive are often inbred, raised in terrible conditions or have so many genetic anomalies that it's amazing they live as long as they do before up and dying... Some might actually be better equipped to survive in filthy water then textbook conditions, but nobody really studies that, so who knows... Yeah, they are from a type of fish that is very hardy... But most of them are not... Yeah, some live to be 20-40 years... But most don't.  

Follow the basics, take care of them as best you can, make them happy and if you are so inclined to- love them... It's better then them just dying in a pet store or some uncaring idiot's tank. They were loved, and that is all anyone can really ask for in the end... Fish or person.

Eventually that proved to be sound possibility... After a few replacements they stopped dying as the replacements were probably more adapted to a normal tank environment. 

So.... As long as you are following the basic care rules, and your fish are not two hundred pounds each, the 55 gallon tank is probably fine... You never know what that fish went through before you took them home... The stresses they incurred may have permanently affected their health.

Good luck.

MistyMist said:

You have a letter from Hogwarts... Let him in.

edited September 2016
    McGyver said:
    MistyMist said:

You have a letter from Hogwarts... Let him in.

ya'know, i did find a peapod coupon on my steps

they won't bring me my favorite beer though, haz to go to the store to git it.  bottles too heavy for owl mail.

Capt Picard had fishie tanks.  
    then that mean mean starfleet fella said to get the fish outta here. and made deanna troi stop wearing dresses.  there's cruelty everywhere.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited September 2016
    McGyver said:
    MistyMist said:

thanks. couldnt remember his name.

remember these guys? smiley

Weird.... I wonder if when I post this the center pix will load...? The center pix is blank when not writing a post... 

Kojak... My step dad had him in his cab once when I was a kid... Yeah, I remember him... I still use his character's "Hey, who loves ya' baby" line when I'm being sarcastic about thanking someone who is lamely or reluctantly doing they should have done anyway on their own... Nobody EVER gets that.

Ironside... Yeah, I remember him too... And apparently I forgot about his pencil gun... Didn't he used to club people with it?

Cannon... I've got one of his printers... Actually, I've had six of his printers... Remember his sidekick Timmy Epson?... 

That was terrible.

My favorite TV detective of that era was Columbo... Pretending to be a bumbling dope but always one step ahead of the bad guys, using their egos and guilt to trap them.

Fun fact about Cannon,  the actor William Conrad was a staple of Old Time Radio broadcasts usually playing the heavy because of his deep voice, but he was also the voice  of Sherriff Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke for several years before the show went to television.   When a television show was announced all the radio actors thought they would play the characters they'd played for so long, but the networks didn't feel they fit the image so for about two or three seasons audiences could listen to Gunsmoke on the radio with William Conrad and watch the televion show with James Arness at the same time.  Both shows were great and the television show adapted many of the radio scripts into episodes.

Gunsmoke Radio Cast 2.jpg
    399 x 489 - 119K
    GS tV.jpg
    985 x 1390 - 177K
    Post edited by nelsonsmith on

green rain.

Blustery week ahead - windyeee

w20160928mt.JPG
    1125 x 601 - 137K
    w20160928m.JPG
    1007 x 483 - 85K
    w20160928c.JPG
    717 x 511 - 51K
    w20160928f.JPG
    710 x 529 - 52K

My dad's Cannon printer stopped working after 6+ years.  The error message said that some parts need service.  The printer was working fine until we saw the error message.  Planned obsolescence might be a real idea with printers.

Oh, definitely... Take a new one apart... Take an old one apart... Day and night. 

I get trying to keep costs down, but when you look at certain choices in materials from an engineering standpoint, either people are ignorant of a material's durability VS a better material's with a tiny, almost nonexistent price difference or it's done deliberately... 

It's not just printers... It's everything.

Almost every time anything breaks, I try and fix it (for me, friends, family... People are always asking me to fix stuff) or I at least take it apart to see why it broke (and scavenge any usable hardware or parts).

I'd have to say that in my experience, 85% or more of the time it is negligent design (or deliberate), or horrible choice of material (typical example- using Styrene plastic over ABS or Nylon... Just plain garbage soft cheap plastic... Plus in some cases it gets a petroleum based lubricant on it that eventually disintegrates it).

You used to see a consumer product enter the market and it would have bugs, but if you took apart later models those issues would be resolved or in the very least an attempt made at addressing the problem.

Newer products don't do that...  you see the original problem plus worse cheaper flimsy materials or bad design compounding the original problem... Even in stuff only months apart in production... It's like they are trying to outdo the crappyness of the previous model... It particularly kills me when the price goes up, but the newer thing is a lesser product.

It's almost as though, when you look at the problem and you just can't see how someone would expect the part to last more than a month or two that you just have to assume there is some sort of industry guideline as to what point people except something breaking and won't return it and STILL buy the same brand. With all the data collection I can't see someone not tapping into that equation and not exploiting it.

Sadly, I really think people are generally to blame... Nobody cares that stuff breaks down so easy, nobody holds manufacturers accountable for the crap they shuck out, any consumer protection agencies that exist have virtually no authority anymore, even in the most extreme cases... And nobody really cares.

It gives manufacturers virtual cart blanch to do and charge what they please.

Its just part of the evolutionary socioeconomic crapification of everything.

The worst thing is when you complain, people treat you like you are unreasonable... I buy a pair of sneakers, same brand that I've been buying for years and suddenly they don't last more then two weeks because instead of co-molding the sole, it's a halfassed glued on part... Not only is it a tripping hazard when it starts falling off, but it actually costs more now... But I'm expecting too much.

Apparently not expecting a flap of delaminated rubber snagging the curb is a lofty expectation these days.

Maybe most people just blindly throw stuff out, never thinking to return it or complain... They never realize how often stuff breaks or they are uniformed as to what a reason lifespan is for a product is... Or they either are just plain egar to get the newest and coolest that they are fine with it... Or maybe it's the idiots who five star stuff in reviews with comments like:  "love it, I opened the box and it's exactly what I ordered! : five stars!" Or "I sent my uncle this and he got it the next day!!!!! five stars!"... Or "love it, it's so much of a nicer blue then in the picture! Five stars!"...?

Take stuff apart... Fix stuff and you'll be appalled by the level of craptastical crapification that just infests almost everything these day.

Planned obsolescence is almost a whimsical phrase... It's borderline malicious indifference/deception in some cases.

Sorry to go on about that, but it's a thorn in my side that bugs me.

McGyver said:

My dad's Cannon printer stopped working after 6+ years.  The error message said that some parts need service.  The printer was working fine until we saw the error message.  Planned obsolescence might be a real idea with printers.

Oh, definitely... Take a new one apart... Take an old one apart... Day and night. 

I get trying to keep costs down, but when you look at certain choices in materials from an engineering standpoint, either people are ignorant of a material's durability VS a better material's with a tiny, almost nonexistent price difference or it's done deliberately... 

It's not just printers... It's everything.

Almost every time anything breaks, I try and fix it (for me, friends, family... People are always asking me to fix stuff) or I at least take it apart to see why it broke (and scavenge any usable hardware or parts).

I'd have to say that in my experience, 85% or more of the time it is negligent design (or deliberate), or horrible choice of material (typical example- using Styrene plastic over ABS or Nylon... Just plain garbage soft cheap plastic... Plus in some cases it gets a petroleum based lubricant on it that eventually disintegrates it).

You used to see a consumer product enter the market and it would have bugs, but if you took apart later models those issues would be resolved or in the very least an attempt made at addressing the problem.

Newer products don't do that...  you see the original problem plus worse cheaper flimsy materials or bad design compounding the original problem... Even in stuff only months apart in production... It's like they are trying to outdo the crappyness of the previous model... It particularly kills me when the price goes up, but the newer thing is a lesser product.

It's almost as though, when you look at the problem and you just can't see how someone would expect the part to last more than a month or two that you just have to assume there is some sort of industry guideline as to what point people except something breaking and won't return it and STILL buy the same brand. With all the data collection I can't see someone not tapping into that equation and not exploiting it.

Sadly, I really think people are generally to blame... Nobody cares that stuff breaks down so easy, nobody holds manufacturers accountable for the crap they shuck out, any consumer protection agencies that exist have virtually no authority anymore, even in the most extreme cases... And nobody really cares.

It gives manufacturers virtual cart blanch to do and charge what they please.

Its just part of the evolutionary socioeconomic crapification of everything.

The worst thing is when you complain, people treat you like you are unreasonable... I buy a pair of sneakers, same brand that I've been buying for years and suddenly they don't last more then two weeks because instead of co-molding the sole, it's a halfassed glued on part... Not only is it a tripping hazard when it starts falling off, but it actually costs more now... But I'm expecting too much.

Apparently not expecting a flap of delaminated rubber snagging the curb is a lofty expectation these days.

Maybe most people just blindly throw stuff out, never thinking to return it or complain... They never realize how often stuff breaks or they are uniformed as to what a reason lifespan is for a product is... Or they either are just plain egar to get the newest and coolest that they are fine with it... Or maybe it's the idiots who five star stuff in reviews with comments like:  "love it, I opened the box and it's exactly what I ordered! : five stars!" Or "I sent my uncle this and he got it the next day!!!!! five stars!"... Or "love it, it's so much of a nicer blue then in the picture! Five stars!"...?

Take stuff apart... Fix stuff and you'll be appalled by the level of craptastical crapification that just infests almost everything these day.

Planned obsolescence is almost a whimsical phrase... It's borderline malicious indifference/deception in some cases.

Sorry to go on about that, but it's a thorn in my side that bugs me.

used to be you couldn't sneeze at the day job without bumping into a HP printer.

the last few years, the HPs all being replaced with Brother printers.  

nowadays you can't sneeze without bumping into a Brother or the occasional Tally.

that was Naomi Watts playing Jet Girl in Tank Girl?

hah, it was a niggle-niggle​ where else i'd seen her

edited September 2016
    Tjohn said:
    Jan19 said:
    MistyMist said:

Harbinger of death.

Let's turn that into something positive, right quick like. :-)

Full Answer

Owls can be seen as creatures that are fiercely protective, but also as creatures that prey on others. In many cultures, especially Native American cultures, the owl is seen as a being that was once a person. It is believed that the owl has returned in its current form to protect loved ones. Spotting an owl during daytime hours is an unusual occurrence because they are nocturnal. People are able to call owls by making noises similar to the natural owl "who-ing." Some Native Americans believe that this communication is the way that people who have passed away are trying to talk to the ones they left behind.

When an owl appears in a dream, its presence indicates that the dreamer is in need of protection or wisdom. Since owls are often associated with both of these things, they can be regarded as less of a bad omen when seen in a dream.

From reference.com, accessed thru Google. :-)  Google is my best friend.

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited September 2016

If you think you've had a bad day, consider this guy: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37481251  Ouch!

Moral of story: "Look before you leak."

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2016

Thanks Jan for trying to return the thread to it's normal happy meandering self.

For newer members of the complaint thread community I remind you of the beginnings and history of the complaint thread, which dates right back to the original iteration of the forum.  It started life as the antithesis of the negative threads that were proliferating in the forums.

It's a fun thread, an often sarcastic and ironical thread, a thread that distracts and sometimes makes people laugh. It is not a serious complaint thread.

And with owls,  they do seem to feature in legend and mythology on both sides of the spectrum, depending on the part of the world.

The Wise old owl part came from way back. 

Athena was the Greek goddess of wisdom, and is often portrayed with an owl as companion. Homer relates a story in which Athena gets fed up with the crow, who is a total prankster. She banishes the crow as her sidekick, and instead seeks out a new companion. Impressed with the owl’s wisdom, and levels of seriousness, Athena chooses the owl to be her mascot instead. The specific owl that represented Athena was called the Little Owl, Athene noctua, and it was a species found in great numbers inside places like the Acropolis.

Post edited by Chohole on
This discussion has been closed.