Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited September 2012

shaykall said:
    @Lord,
    Can you describe what you’re trying to accomplish with the mist?

I am trying to create something like a low cloud that doesn't touch the canyon floor or is above the top of the walls and is basically a mist.

Well try what I suggested in that post where I asked that question or maybe a volumetric cloud slab positioned at the level you want. Normally I would imagine the fog and haze options of the skylab would give you what you want but I'm thinking that's what you tried originally and didn't like.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

David - I really like the second image, especially the "pillow" cubes. How were they done?

8 minute Wings3D project - two part box - a tutorial by David Brinnen

New_two_part_tetra1.jpg
    750 x 422 - 173K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Boy, that was fast! Thanks so much - I look forward to seeing if I can apply it to Modo.

edited September 2012

Boy, that was fast! Thanks so much - I look forward to seeing if I can apply it to Modo.

You are welcome Dan, I got rained off my woodcutting... I'm laying up stores for the winter.

Image 1 - Monday - a hill to climb - a woody hill.
    Image 2 - Tuesday (you can just see me in there attacking a panel with a hatchet - I put in some wood to prop it up and stop the wind from squashing me)
    Image 3 - Today, just as the rain started.

Image3.jpg
    676 x 532 - 192K
    Image2.jpg
    678 x 532 - 182K
    Image1.jpg
    677 x 537 - 182K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Image 3 - Today, just as the rain started.

Woodn't you know it
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

wow - sorry - hope it get better for you

• AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited December 1969

A result... after watching David's awesome glowing coals tutorial...

fireplace.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 131K
    edited December 1969

Fantastic @atlantis! Coals and grass! Two tutorials in one. Must have taken a while to render. The glow effect over the coals is particularly good. Excellent!

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Hey, I've not been around much recently (what do you mean no one noticed?)... It's crap when work gets in the way of play innit.

Great to see all the wonderful examples of Bryceness are still coming thick and fast. :)
    An Advert I'm doing at the moment will most likely have a Bryce render as it's main image (I'm hoping the client goes for that one anyway).
    Will post it here after it's been published.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited September 2012

David, V4's knee does look better with the changes. Love what you're doing with her. Also just watched your Wing tutorial and am impressed how easy it looks to get those results. I'll have to give it a try; I've downloaded Wing but haven't installed it yet.

shayall, my eyes looks at the sky and wonder, with the dark clouds why the canyon walls seem so bright. But as it appears the light is coming from the right, the sun might be showing? Might it be in keeping with the dark clouds to darken the canyon walls a bit?

@tlantis, did you by any chance remember to bring the marshmallows? That's a great looking image. It also looks like you invited Windy to the party. She even remembered her doll. With my eyes, I find it hard to see the grass but what I can see really looks good. Real nice job all around.

Saw the post talking about caverns, and the tutorial David linked to so I followed it and here are my results. The one with what looks like snow was a real surprise because I was trying to follow the tutorial and somehow ended up with a different texture. I didn't go any further on that one because, well, I liked it the way was it is.

The others caused me fits getting the radial lights placed. I'd think I have them set only to find out the area I was trying to light was still dark. After doing this for several hours over two days I finally decided to color the lights so I could see where the lights actually were. Once they were placed then the luminescence of each one was adjusted until I got what you see. The other problem was the delineation on the right side of the shine on the water near the camera. I finally broke it up a bit by using the Texture Transformation Tools to slosh things around. They may not be gold medal material, but I think they're not bad for the first try.

Cavern_1.jpg
    800 x 267 - 56K
    Cavern_5.jpg
    800 x 267 - 48K
    Cavern_9.jpg
    800 x 267 - 50K
    Cavern_11.jpg
    800 x 267 - 50K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited September 2012

@ GussNemo...

I like that cave constrcution in the first three renders...

Post edited by Atlantis on
  • shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    @Lord,

I am trying to create something like a low cloud that doesn't touch the canyon floor or is above the top of the walls and is basically a mist.

Well try what I suggested in that post where I asked that question or maybe a volumetric cloud slab positioned at the level you want. Normally I would imagine the fog and haze options of the skylab would give you what you want but I'm thinking that's what you tried originally and didn't like.

Hi Lord,
    I think I will have to go back to cubes and spheres till I know more of what I am doing, I was trying to get the light right in the canyon and it ended up dark as in a night scene, so I thought I would have a go at that, I tried to bring in a moon and get that light shining down the canyon but I made such a mess, I went into the sky lab to bring in the moon but when I went back to the scene I couldn't see or find the moon anywhere, I am so frustrated and angry at the moment, I figure to go right back to the start again...

Maybe I am trying to do what is above my skill level at the moment..
    I don't want to take up more valuable forum space and more knowledgeable peoples time..

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited September 2012

To place the moon in the scene, go to wire frame view. Hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift and double click on the sun roller ball. Then hold down ctrl+Alt+Shift again and click into the scene where you want the moon to appear. There will be a blue star in the wire frame, that's the moon. For the sun, it works the same way but without the Shift key and the star is yellow.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited September 2012

shaykall said:
    I don't want to take up more valuable forum space and more knowledgeable peoples time..

Don't worry about this, the people around here are only too happy to help out.

As for your 'mist' layer.
    Have you tried to use one of the surface cloud materials?
    I'm not sure it will give the effect you are wanting, but all you do is create a 2D horizontal plane (not an infinite plane) and then apply a surface cloud material to it.
    This will give you a thin layer of misty cloud that you can edit for density, transparency etc in the ME. Then it's just a case of placing it at the right height in your scene.
    This method will also not take years to render like a volumetric mist does. :)

Another thing I do when I've got my scene set up and am working on the atmosphere, is to group the scene and try making it a lot bigger. The bigger the scene is in the Bryce world, the more control you have over how the atmospheric controls in the skylab work.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    To place the moon in the scene, go to wire frame view. Hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift and double click on the sun roller ball. Then hold down ctrl+Alt+Shift again and click into the scene where you want the moon to appear. There will be a blue star in the wire frame, that's the moon. For the sun, it works the same way but without the Shift key and the star is yellow.

Thanks Horo,

I bought the moon in and it changed the scene a little, but I take it you can't edit the moon ?

edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    I bought the moon in and it changed the scene a little, but I take it you can't edit the moon ?

No I don't think you can, but after you get your scene looking the way you want it and have got all the lighting correct etc, you can then place a 'false' moon directly in front of the Bryce moon.
    Boat-in-Moon-Low.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 149K
    edited December 1969

shaykall said:

No I don't think you can, but after you get your scene looking the way you want it and have got all the lighting correct etc, you can then place a 'false' moon directly in front of the Bryce moon.

Now that moon and light is what I would love to achieve,
    I bought the Mentoring DVD that David and Horo put out, I will have to go back and look at the lighting tutorials again, I am making a right stuff up with all this at the moment...Not getting anywhere near what I am after, I am reloading the file time :)

edited September 2012

This render is inspired by David Brinnen's glowing coals tutorial...It inspired me to create a volcanic landscape..

lava2.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 152K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
    edited December 1969

Find a good picture of the moon and save it as a square jpg
    Create a 2D plane
    Select it and hit the 'M' button.
    In the Material Editor, click in Channel A in the diffuse row.
    On the right, where the texture shows, click the picture button (the one with the 'P').
    This will load the Da Vinci man picture.
    Then click the edit picture button (directly above it, top row second from left)
    Click one of the blank squares at the bottom of the window that opens up (if you don't already have a moon in the pictures. I have one version of Bryce where there is already a moon as one of the default pics).
    Navigate to your picture of the moon.
    Load.

Done :)

Create a radial light close to the moon and group the two together.
    Edit the light in the Light Lab using the include/exclude so it only includes the 2D plane (this will ensure that the light doesn't effect your scene but only the moon's face). Then alter Diffuse and colour til you get the moon looking natural in your scene.
    Place the 2D disc as near or as far away as you want directly in front of the Bryce moon depending on how much you want the atmosphere to effect it (the further away, the more the haze will come into effect.

Here's a canyon I started earlier this year and abandoned because I couldn't tell if it was the Wild West or Japan. :)

CanyonMist.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 235K
    edited December 1969

Thanks @tlantis. I found out what's constructed doesn't always end up the same when rendered. But I do like how the wall turned out using a cooled lava material. The water, eh, not so much. I may try a different water just to see how it affects the overall scene. From your post I gather you're not entire sold on the snow looking one. I agree. It reminds me more of a cave entrance than a cavern. Live and learn. Your volcanic landscape looks fantastic. I've seen the tutorial but haven't gone through it yet. With inspirations like yours I may have to.

That is an extremely nice looking clipper ship, Savage. But I really think it's the moon that sets the entire scene. Nicely done.

edited December 1969

@Atlantis - the glowing coal looks excelllent, also the light it gives off to the environment.

The volcanic landscape also looks awesome.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo - the caves look nice. Perhaps due to the colour and form, I have the impression of being in a wooden hut. The fourth cave, well, I thought the picture is upside down. The yellowish pattern on the ceiling looks to me like a fence and the snowy ground like a bright overcast sky.

edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - that moon and the voat on the water look very good. If the sails had just a bit of transparence so that the bright moon shines a bit through, it would look even better.

The canyon looks good, too. I see what you mean about the ambiguity of Wild West and Japan. It is probably just the tree that gives the impression. The sky fits the landscape.

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo. A hut? Hmmm, that's something I'd not thought of. But I guess it sort of does. And since nothing is set in stone, another material might make it look better. I know it look better in gray scale, but lost something when material was applied. That's what experimentation is for.

As to the snowy ground one? Ha, that one was a total snafu. I may go back and rotate the upper portion to see if I can get something more pleasing.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @TheSavage64 - that moon and the voat on the water look very good. If the sails had just a bit of transparence so that the bright moon shines a bit through, it would look even better.
    Yes, if I revisit the scene file I'll give that go thanks.

The canyon looks good, too. I see what you mean about the ambiguity of Wild West and Japan. It is probably just the tree that gives the impression. The sky fits the landscape.

Well actually, I added the tree after thinking it looked a bit Japanese, hoping it would make it look more so.
    I think it's the colours that make it look more far eastern. The colours remind me of those silk paintings. :)

Yes, the sky was my attempt to integrate haze into sun colour etc to pull the whole atmosphere together.

edited December 1969

@ TheSavage64....

Cool canyon... love the color tone... The left side of the canyon, reminds me a little at the big wall in Peter Jackson's King Kong ( one of my fav movies )

edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    @ TheSavage64....

Cool canyon... love the color tone... The left side of the canyon, reminds me a little at the big wall in Peter Jackson's King Kong ( one of my fav movies )

By strange coincidence, I posted this pic on another thread earlier today :cheese:
    Jailed-gorilla.jpg
    680 x 780 - 144K
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - Seems to be a mate of this one: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3224 Very nicely done, just give him a lighter or a match.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Genesis on mars 2

Genesis_on_Mars_2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 239K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    shaykall said:
    @Lord,

Hi Lord,
    I think I will have to go back to cubes and spheres till I know more of what I am doing, I was trying to get the light right in the canyon and it ended up dark as in a night scene, so I thought I would have a go at that, I tried to bring in a moon and get that light shining down the canyon but I made such a mess, I went into the sky lab to bring in the moon but when I went back to the scene I couldn't see or find the moon anywhere, I am so frustrated and angry at the moment, I figure to go right back to the start again...

I would suggest taking a break for a day. Often times when folks get frustrated it prevents them from thinking clearly. I'm guessing from the way you're describing things that you merely moved the moon to a point that the camera can't see it.

This discussion has been closed.