Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,116
    edited December 1969

To put it another way, on my own system I too observe only a small percentage of total CPU usage but I find that all 8 cores are operating, just at a low rate.

There are not many moments when on an 8-way system only part of the cores show activity. There are a lot of services running in the background and you never actually know which is from Bryce. The process monitor which can monitor one single application would be of greater help.
    edited December 1969

What is especially odd is that I dont think you used hdri for point sources at all so the shadows setting shouldn't have changed anything. Who knows.
    I used TA optimization for the HDRI, do it's not a point light source anymore. What baffles me is that the light source is visible to TA at all. I had started the tests with a semi transparent object. Also, Diffusion and HDRI Effect control the light.

... my conclusion was that in light from inside TA still saw the HDRI as being infinitely distant.

And according to the colour distribution, it appears as if TA would see the HDRI from the outside. Got to experiment with this some more.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2012

I swapped my origami birds for Vicky, just to see how she would respond to the lighting environment.

Edit. As you can see, something went a bit wonky with her outfit. I think it might be due to specular response. I will have to investigate.

Deskjunk_rebuild_forTA2.jpg
    1268 x 850 - 423K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I swapped my origami birds for Vicky, just to see how she would respond to the lighting environment.

Edit. As you can see, something went a bit wonky with her outfit. I think it might be due to specular response. I will have to investigate.

Also her toenails and fingernails don't match :)

edited December 1969

It also appears that she has an inflammation on her right knee.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Perhaps she fell off her bike, like David likes doing :coolsmirk:
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Horo said:

I think "like" is a bit of a strong word to use. Yes, I don't know what's up with her knee... must be the camera angle?

edited December 1969

Do they normally?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Horo said:

I don't know, somehow I don't see vicky riding along and then suddenly looking down and saying, "Gee what a fascinating texture all these loose stones strewn across the ground would maaaakkkkeee" *sound of bike and person crashing to the gound*

edited December 1969

Do they normally?

I'm not sure about vicky but when my wife paints her's, her's do. :)

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Horo said:

I don't know, somehow I don't see vicky riding along and then suddenly looking down and saying, "Gee what a fascinating texture all these loose stones strewn across the ground would maaaakkkkeee" *sound of bike and person crashing to the gound*

So that's what happened? I thought it was the beer... well, that is a relief.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Horo said:

So that's what happened? I thought it was the beer... well, that is a relief.

Shhh, I'm trying to paint you as dedicated to your work, not the town lush :)

edited December 1969

I rather thought she took the glasses for a bicycle and promptly fell off it. Now she's trying to get on her feet again.

edited December 1969

Right... don't know what I can do with her knee. Nor do I know how to change the colour of her fingernails to match her toenails. The specular issue with her clothes I can fix - and in the process might have discovered the source of some of the odd problems I've been having previously lighting this model. For example, curious material setting, specular halo luminance 255!

I also moved her head so we could see her face.

Deskjunk_rebuild_forTA4.jpg
    1268 x 850 - 419K
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

9_mix into 9_blend - I have to go out of that Cornell box, and find more appealing environment for my objects.

6_mix into 6_blend - Test of the human skin - sorry for floating teapot. Can you spot the difference between the top and bottom row? Yup, that teapot has a 'skull' made out of sphere to stop the glossy transmission rays to go through the whole object. Another option would be to paint some sss map controlling the transparency strength.

@David Brinnen
    Maybe Vicky's knee could benefit from some glossy transparency?

6_blend.png
    400 x 300 - 87K
    6_mix.png
    800 x 600 - 403K
    9_blend.png
    400 x 400 - 245K
    9_mix.png
    800 x 400 - 768K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Now we can see her face - it DOES look a bit unhappy.

About the knee: I know quite a many V4 textures that have those knees. Seems to be the texture ressource many texture artists are using. Short from photoshopping the texture itself I don't know what could be done about it.

• shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
    edited September 2012

With some guidance from David I had another go at My Canyon, I got rid of the mist cloud I couldn't get it to look like what I had envisioned.

Still more tweaking to do..

My_Valley2.jpg
    595 x 842 - 401K
    Post edited by shaykall on
    edited September 2012

The result is not that bad. What is mostly amiss is the low sky. As if the clouds would almost touch the ground above the canyon. In the Cloud tab of the Skylab, you can move the clouds higher up. This will also change the distribution of Haze.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited September 2012

Redone with less "glowy" skin. Took out one of the TA radial ambient optimised gel lights and dropped in a bit of direct from the sun.

Second image... another light test. Reflections provided by Horo's HDRI and gels for TA optimised radial lights, spherical mapped versions of the same HDRI.

Edit. I can see the Valley is coming alone nicely. I agree with Horo the sky/clouds is looking a bit low.

New_two_part_boxes2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 415K
    Deskjunk_rebuild_forTA5.jpg
    1268 x 850 - 387K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited September 2012

shaykall said:
    With some guidance from David I had another go at My Canyon, I got rid of the mist cloud I couldn't get it to look like what I had envisioned.

Still more tweaking to do..

The texture on the canyon walls looks much better now. Can you describe what you're trying to accomplish with the mist? If we knew more of what you were wanting to achieve maybe someone could tell you how to do it?

If for example you're wanting a mist coming up like a spray from a waterfall then there is a texture in the sfx folder of pro materials called "Integrated volumetric snow", that applied to a stone shape might give you that effect if viewed from a distance.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

@Horo
    The result is not that bad. What is mostly amiss is the low sky. As if the clouds would almost touch the ground above the canyon. In the Cloud tab of the Skylab

I never noticed that. :)
    I am still learning the programme and bought in a sky from the Sky & Fog palette but don't know how to get rid of it so I can bring in a cloud plain.

@Lord,
    Can you describe what you’re trying to accomplish with the mist?

I am trying to create something like a low cloud that doesn't touch the canyon floor or is above the top of the walls and is basically a mist.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

David - I really like the second image, especially the "pillow" cubes. How were they done?

edited December 1969

Thanks Dan. The cubes were made in Wings3D. If I get chance at the weekend I'll make a little tutorial to show how this is done, it is an easy process that can give rise to any number of such shapes, but easier to show than it is to describe in words.

Image, here I got adventurous and included 2 x Vicky. And Bryce didn't crash!

Two_Vicky_TA_test1.jpg
    637 x 850 - 310K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

try six vicky - I did 5

edited December 1969

I'm building up to that - with Horo's help and LAA.

edited December 1969

never used LAA - whats that

edited December 1969

Making Bryce Large Adress Aware means making it able to use more than 2GB memory.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

edited December 1969

never use it - thanks for the info
    waiting for 64bit ;-)

edited December 1969

Well, I used it since I now have a 64bit system with 32GB RAM ... and it works nicely!
    With a 32bit system you would have to make the 3GB switch for Windows first and I never dared to set foot in the Windows registry for that one.
    Waiting for a 64bit Bryce ... could be a looooong wait, as Daz didn't even use the s..n word.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    never use it - thanks for the info
    waiting for 64bit ;-)

There is also a tool on the same site to download for free: Process Monitor. It permits to watch the CPU and memory use for one selected program, e.g. Bryce. LAA makes Bryce a bit less memory restricted while we wait for 64 bit. By the way, you can enable and disable the LAA flag any time. This is nothing permanent.
This discussion has been closed.