Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2012

OK, I have a confession to make.... I was wrong earlier!

You can edit the Bryce Moon. You can load what ever picture you want on to it. :)

Though I can't seem to make it any brighter, if anyone knows how to do that?

Anyway, this is the same Canyon as I posted earlier, only at night and with the standard Bryce Moon.

Canyon-NightALT.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 301K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Really like the mood that canyon now has, The Savage. As to increasing the luminosity of the moon? I'm afraid I'd be of no help except to come up with crazy ideas to try. Like using a spot through a transparent gel? Or just a spot? More questions than answers, I'm afraid.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited December 1969

Agreed, the canyon got a very nice mood. No, there is no control to set the brightness of the moon, known issue. Earthshine only brightens the dark part if Moon Phase is used.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2012

Bryce Moon: Tried it once or twice in a scene but it never suits. Instead, it might be a suggestion to use just to map a cylindrical image of the Moon onto a sphere, and then use, as suggested above, a spot. The spot could also be used to create a phased moon by where you place it, too, or you could just darken a portion of the cylindrical image (e.g. if, say, you wanted a half moon, then you would darken half of it) using a graphic 'ware like Photoshop, and then re-map it onto the sphere again. This setup gives one more control!

Other phases require experimenting around with, but the great advantage in this is that once applied onto the sphere, then you can rotate it ever-so-slightly to suit (taking in account that the face of the moon must also be correct). Of course, one also has to take into account the light direction with the phase; as in the past, I've seen contrasting light conditions (e.g. sunlight coming in from, say, the left, but with the moon's right side being lit). Another, though less common, mistake I've also encountered is when stars are seen to 'come through' the dark side of the phase. These mistakes, I must add, I've never seen in your renditions, nor in other Bryce renders so far submitted. Great canyon moon render BTW.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I was excited to see this in the store http://www.daz3d.com/shop/cthulhu-rising

Cthulhu1_with_added_text1.jpg
    637 x 850 - 236K
  • shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

Find a good picture of the moon and save it as a square jpg
    Create a 2D plane
    Select it and hit the 'M' button.
    In the Material Editor, click in Channel A in the diffuse row.
    On the right, where the texture shows, click the picture button (the one with the 'P').
    This will load the Da Vinci man picture.
    Then click the edit picture button (directly above it, top row second from left)
    Click one of the blank squares at the bottom of the window that opens up (if you don't already have a moon in the pictures. I have one version of Bryce where there is already a moon as one of the default pics).
    Navigate to your picture of the moon.
    Load.

Done :)

Create a radial light close to the moon and group the two together.
    Edit the light in the Light Lab using the include/exclude so it only includes the 2D plane (this will ensure that the light doesn't effect your scene but only the moon's face). Then alter Diffuse and colour til you get the moon looking natural in your scene.
    Place the 2D disc as near or as far away as you want directly in front of the Bryce moon depending on how much you want the atmosphere to effect it (the further away, the more the haze will come into effect.

Here's a canyon I started earlier this year and abandoned because I couldn't tell if it was the Wild West or Japan. :)

Hi TheSavage64

I followed your advice and managed to get a little progress I am still stuffing up the sky colours but did get a moon in and managed to work the light lab a little, but as you can see in the image that there is a black background to the moon.
    I found the moon image and made the background transparent in Gimp but when I added it to the 2d Plane and rendered there is a black border showing, so I tried it with a round plane and the same thing, I tried scaling down the round plane but no success.
    Where did I make the mistake thanks?
    ps I love the moon rendering of your canyon...

edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    shaykall said:
    @Lord,
    Can you describe what you’re trying to accomplish with the mist?

I am trying to create something like a low cloud that doesn't touch the canyon floor or is above the top of the walls and is basically a mist.

Well try what I suggested in that post where I asked that question or maybe a volumetric cloud slab positioned at the level you want. Normally I would imagine the fog and haze options of the skylab would give you what you want but I'm thinking that's what you tried originally and didn't like.

Hi Lord,
    I think I will have to go back to cubes and spheres till I know more of what I am doing, I was trying to get the light right in the canyon and it ended up dark as in a night scene, so I thought I would have a go at that, I tried to bring in a moon and get that light shining down the canyon but I made such a mess, I went into the sky lab to bring in the moon but when I went back to the scene I couldn't see or find the moon anywhere, I am so frustrated and angry at the moment, I figure to go right back to the start again...

Maybe I am trying to do what is above my skill level at the moment..
    I don't want to take up more valuable forum space and more knowledgeable peoples time..

I would suggest taking a break for a day. Often times when folks get frustrated it prevents them from thinking clearly. I'm guessing from the way you're describing things that you merely moved the moon to a point that the camera can't see it.

G'day Lord.

I would suggest taking a break for a day. Often times when folks get frustrated it prevents them from thinking clearly. I'm guessing from the way you're describing things that you merely moved the moon to a point that the camera can't see it.

I think you may be right ;( I am just trying a simple thing at the moment in doing a moon scene with help from TheSavage and can't get the night sky right and am getting very hot :) so maybe a day off may help and might just look at a few tuts and get the manual out..

edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    Hi TheSavage64

I followed your advice and managed to get a little progress I am still stuffing up the sky colours but did get a moon in and managed to work the light lab a little, but as you can see in the image that there is a black background to the moon.
    I found the moon image and made the background transparent in Gimp but when I added it to the 2d Plane and rendered there is a black border showing, so I tried it with a round plane and the same thing, I tried scaling down the round plane but no success.

I think you forgot to attach the picture you referred to above. ;-)

So we don't derail this thread, I'm going to create a Moon thread with more exact instructions. :)

edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    Hi TheSavage64

So we don't derail this thread, I'm going to create a Moon thread with more exact instructions. :)

lol Sorry, thats how frustrated I am getting.

Moons.jpg
    766 x 700 - 206K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    shaykall said:
    Hi TheSavage64

lol Sorry, thats how frustrated I am getting.

I'm quessing you need a transmap to take out that border. If you are already have one in place then you need to check the blend transpancy option in the materials lab.

edited September 2012

@Shaykall

This image of your Moon won't do...as it's rotated by 180 degrees (in this image, North is at bottom, West is at right - so it's incorrect), and also you're seeing a side of the Moon that can't be seen from anywhere, or by anyone on Earth.

EDIT: If you're going to use the Moon image you have here, then you're giving the viewers a Southern hemisphere aspect for an observer at that location, while The Savage's image is one as viewed by an observer living on the Northern hemisphere of the Earth. This latter one is usually the one we are most used to seeing. This northern-preferred view is always a contentious arguement for those living in the south - they don't agree with us northerns ;) The problem is due to their being much more landmass in the northern hemisphere, and so much more observers, too :)

On a technical point that will probably bore you, the face of the Moon is geo-synchronuously 'locked' in orbit around the Earth, so as a result we only get to see one side of the face of the Moon that will always 'point' at us (it's usually referred to as the 'Nearside', and so we never see the Farside). There are orbital features called 'librations' where the Moon does a kind of a wobble, which gives us a very small slice of the farside, but it's only about 6 % of it. So, given this, if an image of the Moon is to be used, it has to be oriented correctly - that is, of course, for an Earth-based view. The Savage's image he is using in his thread is the correct one.

Jay...boffin scientist and lunatic :)

edited December 1969

I'm quessing you need a transmap to take out that border. If you are already have one in place then you need to check the blend transpancy option in the materials lab.

See steps 10 and 11 of my Moon tut in the Moon thread I posted. :)
    My way is slightly more render friendly as there is no transparency for the render engine to work out.

In the pic Shaykall posted, I'd guess the setting needs to be somewhere between -0.4 and -0.7 to make the picture fit the disc.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

See steps 10 and 11 of my Moon tut in the Moon thread I posted. :)
    My way is slightly more render friendly as there is no transparency for the render engine to work out.

In the pic Shaykall posted, I'd guess the setting needs to be somewhere between -0.4 and -0.7 to make the picture fit the disc.

Okay and will do and that may be prefered besides the memory use issue. I did it myself to generate some pictures to add showing that the transmap can solve that boarder problem and notice that you can still see a ghost of the transmapped area. It probably wouldn't be noticed the in a proper night sky setting for the moon though. Here the pics one without the transmap and one with

moon2.jpg
    800 x 480 - 58K
    moon1.jpg
    800 x 480 - 57K
    edited December 1969

Another Cthulhu - this time using the method explained here Bryce 5 minute scene - TA hue saturation shift trick - a tutorial by David Brinnen with added reflection on the material to trap the light and amplify the TA effect. Adding glow in the crevices.

The model came from here http://www.daz3d.com/shop/cthulhu-rising/ and is presently on sale. Maybe you can detect I'm a Cthulhu fanboy?

Cthulhu2.jpg
    1084 x 796 - 199K
    edited December 1969

Continuing on with the Moon theme...

I used the free Poser 7 Wolf exported as an .obj for this render.

Render time; 3 minutes.

Wolf-Moon.jpg
    675 x 955 - 225K
  • AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited September 2012

The night earth went berserk...

After render was finished, the little render man inside bryce tapped at my monitor and asked for a cold beer...lol

201209b.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 114K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
    edited December 1969

Impressive, @tlantis.

edited December 1969

Very impressive @atlantis... Erich! Puts me in mind of 2012 - the disaster film.

edited September 2012

@ David... Good observation ... I watched a pic from that movie..where the city breaks apart and glides into the ocean... I first tried to make the ocean also..with different terrains... but it's real hard to make those raging waves....

Two pics not finished... with ocean...

201203.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 117K
    201207.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 101K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    After render was finished, the little render man inside bryce tapped at my monitor and asked for a cold beer...lol

Don't blame him :)

Very good renders!

edited September 2012

@David... just how do you express Cthulh wordwise ? Hahaaaa?

@The Savage...nice tut...would luv to see a 'full moon' like that. Most moon images I've seen like this have been though the telescopic eyepiece of my 8" reflector. So personal, it has to be experienced.

'@atlantis...just croped 'ur image to two-thirds on the left side of original, and really 'hell-like' - wouldn't want to live there..heheeee:)...cooling monitor with water as I speak ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    @The Savage...nice tut...would luv to see a 'full moon' like that. Most moon images I've seen like this have been though the telescopic eyepiece of my 8" reflector. So personal, it has to be experienced.

Lunar Eclipse Dec 2010 - Sorry there are no wolves left here in Yorkshire. Though I do live only two miles from a place called Wolfstones, which is said to have been named because it the was the site when the last wild wolf in England was hunted and killed... There is no evidence to support the story. :)

Dec-LE-8.jpg
    650 x 488 - 90K
    Dec-LE-5.jpg
    650 x 488 - 88K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Bryce sundown

Bryce_sundown.jpg
    798 x 689 - 228K
    edited December 1969

@ bigh...

Nice POV and excellent sky color.. I love the details on terrain...

edited December 1969

Static pops across the emergency frequency and a cracked voice breaks through the white noise; "There's some good news and some bad news... the good news is that we've found those three missing persons..."

Marshlands.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 182K
    edited December 1969

bigh, I've seen a few skies like that. And some places that match the terrain. Very well done.

The Savage, so a flash flood uncovered bodies someone didn't want found? Love it.

edited December 1969

Static pops across the emergency frequency and a cracked voice breaks through the white noise; "There's some good news and some bad news... the good news is that we've found those three missing persons..."

Heheheh..excellent...

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    @David... just how do you express Cthulh wordwise ? Hahaaaa?

Cuth-oo-loo

Oh, by the way, our stuff is on sale and we have a new product, which is also on sale along with everything else. Remember all those anaglyph's we were tiring your eyes with a couple of months back? Well here's the thing that did do them.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-7-pro-true-3d-rendering

Main.jpg
    500 x 650 - 492K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

thanks guys - made my day

edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    @ David... Good observation ... I watched a pic from that movie..where the city breaks apart and glides into the ocean... I first tried to make the ocean also..with different terrains... but it's real hard to make those raging waves....

Two pics not finished... with ocean...

Living close to the sea, the North Sea, which is predominantly grey and brown, I have learned that rarely looks the way it looks in my minds eye. When I picture the sea in my mind, it is like some Mediterranean postcard scene, with the light glowing green through the waves. The truth however is that it is largely opaque, somewhat reflective and a bit foamy. So your ocean, to me, looks close to the truth. More reflection I think so it is able to catch a bit of hat orange fire?

I enjoyed the spectacle of the film, in particular the bit were the waves splosh over the tops of the mountains, that was very impressive. As with most modern films that rely heavily on spectacle in place of substance, the story and the dialogue have vanished from memory. Unlike Moby Dick, for example, which is full of memorable lines.

“Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me.”

“...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.”

And from "The Wrath of Khan" - something that sounds suspiciously like Ahab.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!"

This discussion has been closed.