House of Secrets - Poser & DS

Comments

• skipper25skipper25 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi. It will be a replacement in the sense that I have no intention to re-release the first.

As far as the current effort goes, despite lots of work I could not really enjoy the entrance hall, so I scrapped it and tried again. This time I placed the staircase next to the party wall and immediately things looked better - the hall appeared to be bigger and scrappy spaces behind coalesced into one. See my first pic. Of course, a stairwell requires that at least four walls be carried up another storey, and the result of experiment is shown but not finalised. As always, the problem is, where do we stop? A decision will be made later.

The next pic shows the surveillance centre in the NW corner. You can see the one-way mirror doing its job in the party wall, acting like a window into the Bridal Suite. At the front edge will be a pair of doors forming an entry lock into this space - the first will be marked Private and the second marked No Admittance. You'll need Jason Bourne to get in here.

Prominent is the bank of surveillance monitors against the wall. I have tried to make them glow no matter what the condition of other lighting and to this end have placed a permanent spotlight. See the third pic. I do not find the result entirely satisfactory and if anyone has ideas of how this can be improved, I would be glad to hear from you.

Security_Shadows.jpg
    780 x 417 - 64K
    Security_General.jpg
    1094 x 576 - 143K
    Entrance_Hall.jpg
    780 x 387 - 66K
  • AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

This looks great! Can't wait to see it. :)

edited September 2012

An arms cupboard, ceiling and two operable doors complete the surveillance centre.

Keeping score? We now have 19 user-adjustables, not counting those that (like the cash) may simply be removed. :cheese:

Control.jpg
    780 x 528 - 68K
    Post edited by skipper25 on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

For a Permanent Glow to your screens, why not lose the light and a) turn them into surface light-emitters (UberLight in DazStudio) or b) just turn the Ambient to white at +200% or so (should work anywhere, but nobody can read "Black Mask" by monitor-glow that way....)

edited December 1969

Thanks Eustace. I'll give it a go.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

This is looking great :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Alisa.

This morning I completed the hallway. The portrait of the Queen slides up to uncover a peephole, while the Private door opens to reveal the No Admission door. The Alibaba jar can be moved if desired, but the main purpose is to provide a hiding place - for weapons, jewels, a snake perhaps, or even a small crook.

Hall2.jpg
    790 x 524 - 70K
    Hall.jpg
    790 x 524 - 68K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Good work as ever ... that deserves a small whisky ... :)

edited December 1969

Or two - or three.

Opening bedroom doors in place.....

Bedroom_Doors.jpg
    790 x 524 - 77K
    edited September 2012

A good book in an easy chair by the fire - what could be more tempting on a winter's night?

But the chair tips for the unwary, dropping them into the cellar. Broo-ha-ha!

Easy_Chair_Open.jpg
    790 x 577 - 95K
    Easy_Chair_Normal.jpg
    790 x 605 - 99K
  • nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

Looking good Skipper.
    Now I need to go reread your original thread to see how you got the doors to open on the original model.
    I'm building a film set for a TV show to use as a backdrop in this months freebie challenge.
    If I'm gonna build it, I might as well do it right. And then release it as a prop on Sharecg.
    I remember you had a problem getting the doors to work in both poser and DS.
    Making the set wasn't hard, it's making all the crap & nick-nac that's hanging on the walls & sitting on the furniture is whats taking up the time.

BTW...
    If you ever redo Coronation st. Here's a pair of photos off a BBC web page of a train wreck in the roof of the pub. The car is laying on the building. Just a thought.
    Anyways... I'll let you get back to work.
    Gerry

corrie-tram-crash.jpg
    634 x 345 - 79K
    corrie-tram-crash2.jpg
    550 x 366 - 67K
    edited September 2012

Love the photos. These soap writers really go to town, don't they? I shall reissue my Coronation Street one day soon, but am not sure when.

As with everything else, once one has the knack of making movables, it is really easy. The answer lies not with Poser or DS, but with Hexagon, where I create most of my models anyway. Create your prop model any way that you like, but keep the hinge line in mind. As a last move before you export it, move it in its entirety to the cross hairs in Hexagon. These are the lines highlighted in white on the ground plane and are the world centre of 0,0,0. >>> Anything that is rotated does so about this point.<<< If you want a door to open for example, move it so that the hinge line is exactly upwards from this point. Similarly, if you want a trap to open, move the model so that the appropriate horizontal edge passes through 0.0.0. When happy, export it. I export in .obj mode, but use any as appropriate.</p>

Now go into Poser or DS and import your model. It will appear at the 0,0,0 of your main scene or model, but no matter - it carries its own rotation point with it. To clarify, the 0.0.0. of the imported object applies to it only - the 0.0.0 of the main scene is entirely different. Move the import through XYZ to where you want it and try the appropriate rotation. Et voila! You can even include an extra rotation, as for example rotating through Y, if that is needed. No matter what you do, the imported model retains its own private rotation line. (This principle is used in my Library Globe, for example.) Hope this helps. Come back if you need more.

Good luck with your animation.

edited September 2012

The last of this group of props is the holding cell behind the fireplace. The door opens of course. I gave some thought to including a cot and/or a slop bucket in here, but it's getting a bit crowded.

Tomorrow I turn my attention to the south wall.

Cell.jpg
    517 x 600 - 71K
  • cedarwolfcedarwolf Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

Just wonderful work. I'll keep following to see how it all comes out.

edited September 2012

Thank you, Cedarwolf. I hope that when it is released, we may see a render from you.

The front (south) wall has now been completed together with a balcony for elopements or for throwing people off; for access, a pair of glazed doors are placed in French windows. The small window on the far left is for light into the hall and comprises two sashes which may be raised and lowered, sliding past each other. The ladder is for general convenience. There being no restrictions on movement, users are free to place it anywhere they choose. Oh - and yes, Romeo could clamber up the ivy.

My second pic shows the view from inside. The doors open of course - and we have already seen the tipping easy chair - but we also have a pair of red velvet curtains which may be drawn back or forwards, to meet in the centre.

The third pic shows a window for the cell previously made, providing light and air. Iron bars prevent access. (Well, you didn't expect to spring your prisoner that easily, did you?) I have put this out of sight round the corner, so we may assume that it is out of earshot too. Please note that I have revamped the outside walls so as to take advantage of the tiling method and effect an enormous saving in the memory taken up by graphics. It would be wise to acquaint yourself with tiling if you intend to use this model.

The last constructional task awaiting me is a plaster decorated ceiling over the bedroom and a final surprise or two.

Cell_Window.jpg
    408 x 385 - 33K
    Curtains.jpg
    768 x 544 - 99K
    South_Wall.jpg
    800 x 451 - 97K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

looking good my friend

edited December 1969

Thank you BigH.

Yesterday I created a nice plaster ceiling for the bedroom and today I have applied it. Tomorrow I must create a bowl-shaped light source to hang in the centre. A chandelier would be nice, but would probably double the file size, so that's out.

It will be seen that one part of the ceiling comprises a trapdoor opening up into the roof space and from which the villains may lower a rope in order to clamber down. The rope works by adjustment of the Y scale and these two user-adjustables are the very last to be made. I know that at the outset I threatened 30, but these two make 33 and 34! There will be no more.

Over them, a black light-trapping box is necessary. My third pic shows the effect from inside the room - I reckon Boris Karloff knows a thing or two.

Ceiling_Rope.jpg
    800 x 629 - 89K
    Ceiling_Trap.jpg
    560 x 542 - 37K
    Ceiling.jpg
    800 x 429 - 64K
    edited December 1969

34, huh? Seems you had enough rope ... ;)

edited December 1969

Yeah - it will be some time before I make another!

edited December 1969

Been tidying up today - changed a texture or two, trimmed and so on. One thing that I did was take up the suggestion by Eustace and worked on the surveillance screens, but putting them behind a mask. It looks well, I think.

Screens.jpg
    800 x 639 - 83K
    edited December 1969

RL has intervened a little, but we have been able to add a masking wall on the West side. This blocks off all light except that through the windows, but it does enable the user to swing a wide-angle camera around inside through 360. This mask is readily removable of course, as is almost every part of the whole model, thus giving the user the utmost flexibility in use.

We have been playing with interior lights and cameras to be included in the upload. These will be in three places - the main room, the hallway and the surveillance centre.

All being well, I expect to start conversion to Poser in the next day or two.

BTW, I am persuaded that "Bridal Suite" is not the best name for this model and intend to switch over to "House of Horrors."

General_from_west.jpg
    785 x 548 - 68K
    Hall_Camera_View.jpg
    785 x 549 - 77K
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

Quite a few changes made here, and quite a few improvements! I see you changed your pic on the wall to the queen...lol. I may have to have this new version. Just got the new version of Cromer pier, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Nice work Skipper.

:-)

edited December 1969

I am so not going to comment on "bridal suite" and "house of horrors" being synonomous ... ;)

The orignal looked good, and this surpasses it!

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    I shall reissue my Coronation Street one day soon, but am not sure when.

Skipper,

If you do reissue Coronation Street, a nice added feature would be the building on the other side of the street across from the current building.

Nice work on the "Bridal Suite" aka "House of Horrors"

edited September 2012

Thanks guys. We do our best. Getting on with cameras and lights. Pics soon.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

House of Secrets seems like it might work slightly better as a title than House of Horrors. Not all uses would be "horror" themed while all the extra hidden doors seems appropriate for a a place full of secrets.

edited September 2012

That's a very good suggestion, Zamuel. I think that I will adopt it. Thank you.

Working hard on the Poser version - should be ready in a few days.

• JennehJenneh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My goodness....this is amazing! :D

edited September 2012

Thank you Jennah. We're chugging along quite nicely and very close to a first release, although for technical reasons, this will be for Poser only. A release for DS users will come later.

A little while ago I was asked about making doors that open and assuming that the writer was talking about DS, I explained how it was done. However, Poser uses an entirely different system and one day I will write a tutorial, if anyone needs it. Similarly, making a working mirror in DS is extremely simple whereas in Poser it is complex and involves many changes. So although one may readily make a model that will run on both DS and Poser, this is not always the case. Indeed, for a model as complex as our House of Secrets, it is impossible without expert knowledge.

But there are other - and newer - considerations. ShareCG have announced their intention to switch over to a subscription system and this poses a particular problem for me since it means that as well as working umpteen hours on a model, I will then have to pay them before being allowed to give it away. This is just not on. The suggested subscription is small enough, heaven knows, but I dislike it in principle. There are a number of alternatives under active consideration.

Dressing_Mirror.jpg
    795 x 606 - 77K
    edited December 1969

That's looking pretty stunning! Can't wait for the DS version.

I agree about ShareCG, seems a shame they are moving away from the free model they have (pun intended!)