House of Secrets - Poser & DS

Comments

• Tempest!Tempest! Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

First of all, thanks for sharing this! Good work, lots of nice features.

As for problems:

The PP2 files still have (lots of) texture references to "house of horrors" instead of "house of secrets" folder. Nothing a moment of search and replace won't fix. Also a transmap seems to be missing for surveillance.pp2.

The PZ3 loads fine in DS3 (after I moved it to the props folder, so I can actually see the file in the runtime). Not so well in DS4, stuff is out of place and everything's untextured. The props generally load okay but some of the objects are out f their proper places. I guess it's just a DS4 issue with object origins. (For example when I use the "move origin" script in DS3 on an object, save the scene and open it in DS4, the object has changed it position.) Generally I much prefer PP2 props to PZ3 files - it's a nasty surprise to have your lights and cameras erased in a scene when you think you're only loading a prop.

As a humble suggestion, I'd love your props to have different material zones assigned for different materials. That would extend the usability of the models a great deal because re-texturing them would be a lot easier.

• skipper25skipper25 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the response, folks. And Tempest, thanks for the constructive criticism; it is exactly what one needs and strikes the right note. Today I resurrected my old computer and have got it running. Tomorrow I will follow your example and try importing into DS3 and then into DS4. It may well be that you have put your finger on the problem that BigH is having, for example.

Of course, after thorough investigation, one must then decide upon the correct course of action. For example, could it be that there is NO best solution and that a model made for DS3 will not perform properly in DS4 - and vice-versa? This way, madness lies.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Of course, after thorough investigation, one must then decide upon the correct course of action. For example, could it be that there is NO best solution and that a model made for DS3 will not perform properly in DS4 - and vice-versa? This way, madness lies.

That would be annoying, since I use both DS3 and DS4... Here's hoping it isn't so.

edited December 1969

Quick report on the morning's work. All errors in PP2 files corrected. I will make an editted upload later.
    DS3 definitely imports and runs the PZ3 file correctly and with no problems. DS4 however imports the same PZ3 file without textures although everything seems to be in its proper place.
    RL now calls and I must go out. Further investigation later.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

*readies the tumbler and bottle of 25 year old Laphroaig ...* :)

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    LOL. Actually, I could do with some help. Could some kind folks give me pointers on the best way to bundle and upload the D|S version? I have a nagging suspicion that I have not been doing my best by users. Again, as I have said in the thread, Poser and D|S operate limits, rotation and mirror reflection quite differently. All help (or points to tutes) will be gratefully received. I have the time now. :lol:

I don't use Poser anymore (in fact, none of the features I like in it are in the version I have now -- Poser Debut -- so I just use the content in DS), but I've always found the Poser Runtime system a much easier way to handle content in DS than as individual OBJ models I have to hunt down textures for. I'm glad to see this is finally out!

edited October 2012

skipper25 said:

I just tried saving the whole thing as a prop (or a prop set, whatever you actually should call it) from Poser 9 (everything parented to Base_1, although you could get a much clearer hierarchy by parenting doors to the walls they're attached to etc.) and it seems to open correctly both in DS3 and DS4.

If you used external OBJ files for the geometry instead of including it in the pp2 files themselves, you'd get smaller file sizes (if you have several different PP2s which share the same OBJs) and it's less memory intensive. Geometry stripper (http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?StartNo=421) does this automagically, although you would probably want to move the OBJs from the prop folder to their proper place in the geometries folder.

Post edited by Tempest! on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,237
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

Ohh good Scotch
    One of my favorites

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,237
    edited December 1969

Tempest! said:
    skipper25 said:

I just tried saving the whole thing as a prop (or a prop set, whatever you actually should call it) from Poser 9 (everything parented to Base_1, although you could get a much clearer hierarchy by parenting doors to the walls they're attached to etc.) and it seems to open correctly both in DS3 and DS4.

If you used external OBJ files for the geometry instead of including it in the pp2 files themselves, you'd get smaller file sizes (if you have several different PP2s which share the same OBJs) and it's less memory intensive. Geometry stripper (http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?StartNo=421) does this automagically, although you would probably want to move the OBJs from the prop folder to their proper place in the geometries folder.

A very useful program it is

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

Sounds like something Bruce Wayne would do when he finally burns out.

Btw I noticed that the OBJs are indeed in the geometries folder, but just not referred to in the prop files?

edited December 1969

Thanks. It was very welcome when I returned home. A deep armchair, a glass and listening to the silence - perfect.

It has been established very quickly that a Daz scene file created with DS3 will load perfectly well in DS4, but the reverse is not the case; one gets a splash panel advising of upgrade. This is usual and to be expected. The equally obvious solution to our DS problem of loading the House of Secrets is to include a scene file that was created with DS3. This has been done and the upload at ShareCG has been amended, including necessary changes to the PP2 files that folks have pointed out.

Thank you to all. I believe that I have covered everything, now it's back to you. Let me know how you all get on. Same ShareCG address as before, of course - scrap what you have and download again.

edited December 1969

Excellent stuff, off to nab it now!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Great timing for some good Halloween renders. And as it's free, they could be used in the 5TH ANNUAL MMHB !!!

This is so much fun, all in one package.

edited October 2012

Mmmmmm. No screams of protest, so it appears that we have got it right. That's great. Thank you to all those who helped out with reporting. Now I can get on with other things.
    Don't forget to post your renders - here or at the MMHB!

Post edited by skipper25 on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited October 2012

still doesn't work for me - sorry
    it will not load - get errors

edit - it doesn't matter - hope every one else has fun with it
    skull

Post edited by bigh on
    edited December 1969

That's a pity, but it would be more helpful if you gave details.

edited December 1969

In DS4.5, loading the .daz file gives me an errror with the textures (starting with /!!! Work in Hand/Panelled_wall.jpg), followed by an inability to find monitors_TRANS.jpg. It can then, not surprisingly, not find a raft-load of .dso files and whilst loading does not actually display anything - which is common feature of self-created .daz files.
    Doing a File> Import for the .pz3 works fine.

edited December 1969

Ah. Sorry about that. D|S is looking in the wrong place. This works (I've just tried it) -

When you get the small splash panel saying that it cannot find xxxxx.panelled_wall.jpg, click on Locate. This opens a search box. Navigate your way to your new Runtime/Textures/Skipper25/House of Secrets. Panelled_Wall is in there - click on it. The prog loads it. Then, it makes the sensible assumption that all other required .jpg's are in the same place. No problem until it wants Monitors_Trans.jpg. The problem then is that some fathead called Skipper renamed it as Casing_Trans. Click on it and everything else loads.

Now for the good news - save as a new scene file and you've got it made.

Have fun.

edited December 1969

Strange to say, that's pretty much exactly what I thought and did - main issue, of course, being the .daz file is binary and is not human readable/editable. But as you say, a save should generate both the geometry (the .dso files) and, of course, remember the file locations!

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Ah. Sorry about that. D|S is looking in the wrong place. This works (I've just tried it) -

When you get the small splash panel saying that it cannot find xxxxx.panelled_wall.jpg, click on Locate. This opens a search box. Navigate your way to your new Runtime/Textures/Skipper25/House of Secrets. Panelled_Wall is in there - click on it. The prog loads it. Then, it makes the sensible assumption that all other required .jpg's are in the same place. No problem until it wants Monitors_Trans.jpg. The problem then is that some fathead called Skipper renamed it as Casing_Trans. Click on it and everything else loads.

Now for the good news - save as a new scene file and you've got it made.

Have fun.

thats what I did - it was a no show

have fun

just for the .... of it - are you using DS 4.5.1.6

edited October 2012

OK, you two guys have lost me. Are you saying that you still can't run it? What are the symptoms? What is a no show? Help me to help you, dammit.

I am using DS 4.0.3.47 Pro. as well as DS 3.0.1.135 Advanced

Post edited by skipper25 on
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    OK, you two guys have lost me. Are you saying that you still can't run it? What are the symptoms? What is a no show? Help me to help you, dammit.

I am using DS 4.0.3.47 Pro. as well as DS 3.0.1.135 Advanced

ok - Doing a File> Import for the .pz3 works fine

please test the next one in DS 4.5.1.6 or what ever the last one is

sorry to be a pain
    you do a great job !
    skull

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

In my corner of Antique Land (Daz Studio 3.1), I'm having zero problems loading the pre-loaded pz3.

And it's a beauty, Skipper! Major improvements on the Bridal Suite (but don't tell my Bridal Suite because we're very fond of each other).

This is a very rudimentary render I call "Best Doggie Door EVER!"

Hoping my latest-model reduced-capacity (mortally sick) computer will load some humans into it for an entry in the Halloween freebie challenge.

DoggieDoor.jpg
    1104 x 883 - 180K
    edited December 1969

That's great, Dorseyland. Thank you for posting. I love your little dog and the gavel award on the mantlepiece.

edited December 1969

Beware my friend

beware.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 244K
    edited December 1969

Ooooh Errrrrrrr! Mummeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

edited December 1969

I'm waiting

Im_waiting.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 220K
    edited December 1969

What's she waiting for? He's only just outside, on the balcony!

BigH, I am delighted that you have everything working and that you are having great fun. It makes everything worth while. Just one question - the mirror on the wardrobe door is black; is the reflection working for you? If not, tell me if you are rendering in DS3, DS4 or Poser.

Keep trucking! We like to see what you do.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I don't see any shadows in the render, either - perhaps it was done without any raytracing...?

• ShanarahShanarah Posts: 94
    edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing, Skipper! Your models are always appreciated. Can't wait to play with it. I had fanart ideas as soon as I saw the fireplace. X3