House of Secrets - Poser & DS

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    What's she waiting for? He's only just outside, on the balcony!

BigH, I am delighted that you have everything working and that you are having great fun. It makes everything worth while. Just one question - the mirror on the wardrobe door is black; is the reflection working for you? If not, tell me if you are rendering in DS3, DS4 or Poser.

Keep trucking! We like to see what you do.

I am using DS 4.5.1.6 - and it does have raytracing .
    I look at it from a new angle and it is still black .
    I even add a new spotlight - still black .

• skipper25skipper25 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mmmmm. I suggest that in the Surfaces menu, you select the mirror. Then Advanced. Scroll down to Reflection and crank it up to maximum. Let us know how you get on.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Ah. Sorry about that. D|S is looking in the wrong place. This works (I've just tried it) -

When you get the small splash panel saying that it cannot find xxxxx.panelled_wall.jpg, click on Locate. This opens a search box. Navigate your way to your new Runtime/Textures/Skipper25/House of Secrets. Panelled_Wall is in there - click on it. The prog loads it. Then, it makes the sensible assumption that all other required .jpg's are in the same place. No problem until it wants Monitors_Trans.jpg. The problem then is that some fathead called Skipper renamed it as Casing_Trans. Click on it and everything else loads.

Now for the good news - save as a new scene file and you've got it made.

Have fun.

I've tried this but when I get to clicking on Casing_Trans it still tells me that some files won't load, and then the error message appears and no room loads. I'm using Daz 4 standard. Am I doing something stupid?

edited October 2012

Mmmmm. That's a puzzle, and I would say that you are not doing anything stupid. My only suggestion at this point is that you scrap the download that you have and try again with a new one. The other day I editted the upload so as to take account of the problems that some folks have been having with DS4 - you should no longer have to redirect DS4. Try that and let us know.

Post edited by skipper25 on
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited October 2012

skipper25 said:
    Mmmmm. I suggest that in the Surfaces menu, you select the mirror. Then Advanced. Scroll down to Reflection and crank it up to maximum. Let us know how you get on.

In the surfaces tab, crank the diffuse and specular up to 255,255,255, then make sure it is set at 100%. That should reflect it. If not you may want to try Lakewoods mirror shader, it's a freebie here somewhere!

I opened the folders and it seems that the structure of the setup is mainly for DS3. DS 4.5 uses .duf files and the structure is somewhat different but should open .daz files. If you have DS3, try putting the files in your runtime from there, then access them in DS 4.5 content if you have added your DS3 reuntime to it. That is how I use my DS3 files. Once loaded, as Skipper said, save it as a DS 4.5 scene file. It will convert them to .duf files.

:-)

Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:

I can't see a way to get the mirror on either door - click it - just the texture or mat for the door come up .
    I can make the doors reflect .

edited October 2012

On the main mirror, and the two door mirrors, use these settings in the surfaces:

Diffuse - color - 255,255,255
    strength - 0%

Specular - color - 255,255,255
    strength - 100%
    glossiness - 100%

Ambient - 0
    strength - 0%

Reflection - color - 255,255,255
    strength - 100%

This should give you a mirror effect. Here is a render I did with these settings.

HouseOfSecretsDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 294K
    edited October 2012

Thanks, Music. Now let's see how BigH gets on. This pic might also help.

Image1.jpg
    431 x 658 - 61K
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:

nope didn't work guys
    I gives up

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Can you post a screenshot of your Surface tab settings?

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    skipper25 said:

nope didn't work guys
    I gives up

ok did it - deleted all the lights and added my own lighting

edited December 1969

Good. I am glad that you/we got there eventually. Now - back to the scary renders.......!

edited October 2012

Must have been the rotate angle on the lights along with the camera angle. Sometimes I have experienced that. The mirrors were probably actually reflecting, but they were reflecting the darkness around them.

edited December 1969

Yes, I have had that too.

edited December 1969

my hero

my_hero.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 215K
    edited October 2012

Chuckles.......
    As far as I know, Poser does not have a "point to" feature, but here's some fun available to DS users.
    1. Turn off movement restrictions for the eyeballs.
    2. Create a null called "Eyeball focus". Place it at 0.0.0.
    3. Create a null called "Squint." Make it a child of the null "Focus"
    4. For each eyeball, adjust "Point to" to read "Squint"
    5. Adjust the position of "Squint" until the eyes are looking at the origin position 0.0.0
    (This takes care of discrepancy of the eye texture and may be tricky to get right.)
    Now, wherever you move the >>> Eyeball Focus <<< null, the eyes will follow. For example, if you have Vicky in your scene, make the Eyeball Focus null a child of (say) Vicky's head. The eyes will now follow her no matter where you put her.<br /> .
    Some fun for all users -
    6. This is easiest to get right. Create a red point light. Put it immediately in front of the eyeball with illumination at about 5%. See pic A.
    Alternatively, put it >>> just inside <<< the eyeball and make the opacity of the eyeball about 50%. See pic B. This requires careful placing since the point light must be between the eye surface and the background picture.<br /> .
    A similar red point light may be placed just above the coals in the fireplace, to great effect. Make sure that it is a child of the rotating fireplace and adjust the illumination to suit yourself.

Image1.jpg
    785 x 509 - 77K
    edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    Mmmmm. That's a puzzle, and I would say that you are not doing anything stupid. My only suggestion at this point is that you scrap the download that you have and try again with a new one. The other day I editted the upload so as to take account of the problems that some folks have been having with DS4 - you should no longer have to redirect DS4. Try that and let us know.

I deleted the previous download and tried again. This time when I click on the house icon in my content library I get "An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details.". I have no idea what that means.
    edited December 1969

SteveM17 said:
    skipper25 said:

I deleted the previous download and tried again. This time when I click on the house icon in my content library I get "An error occurred while reading the file, see the log file for more details.". I have no idea what that means.

it means you have the same as me .
    you will have to goto the unziped file and import the .pz3 file
    then save it in DS .
    it will work fine then .

edited December 1969

Yes, the report that, "An error occurred...." is of no help whatsoever. It could be anything or nothing. And I know even less than you do; I do not know what system you are using, DS3, DS4 or Poser. Nor do I know which scene file you clicked on - DS or Poser. All that I know is that you need help - nothing more - and knowing what to tell you is next to impossible. I suggest that you try the solution kindly offered by BigH and if that fails, contact us again, giving as much information as possible.

edited December 1969

lets look over there
    pretty dark

lets_look_over_there.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 320K
    edited December 1969

You've got some pretty wierd household pets!! Good to see you experimenting, though.

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    You've got some pretty wierd household pets!! Good to see you experimenting, though.

there are cheap to feed :lol:

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    SteveM17 said:
    skipper25 said:

then save it in DS .
    it will work fine then .

It imports as .pz3, which gives me a grey/white room with all the stuff in it. What should I now save it as? A scene or something else?

edited December 1969

SteveM17 said:
    bigh said:
    SteveM17 said:
    skipper25 said:

then save it in DS .
    it will work fine then .

It imports as .pz3, which gives me a grey/white room with all the stuff in it. What should I now save it as? A scene or something else?

yes save as a scene

edited December 1969

It sounds as though no textures have imported. Save it anyway. It should be easy enough to assign the textures - I'll take an hour tomorrow to duplicate your problem and then write you a step-by-step to get out of it.

edited December 1969

skipper25 said:
    It sounds as though no textures have imported. Save it anyway. It should be easy enough to assign the textures - I'll take an hour tomorrow to duplicate your problem and then write you a step-by-step to get out of it.

Yes, the texture jpegs are in the texture folder as they should be, they just don't load automatically with the room. Once I assign them and save as scene, I'll be able to use the room, even if some of the secrety bits don't work. Thanks guys.

edited December 1969

Glad you've got it sorted. Have fun.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    *readies the tumbler and bottle of 25 year old Laphroaig ...* :)

Ohh good Scotch
    One of my favorites
    Ok, that's your favourite - what about you, Skipper? I have to be wary with whisk(e)y as there is one (or more) that gives me a blinding headache within 5 minutes of drinking; and I cannot remember for sure which/what it is. Which means, of course, opting for a Scotch (or Irish) is a bit like tap-dancing through a mine-field ;)

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    SimonJM said:
    *readies the tumbler and bottle of 25 year old Laphroaig ...* :)

Ohh good Scotch
    One of my favorites

Ok, that's your favourite - what about you, Skipper? I have to be wary with whisk(e)y as there is one (or more) that gives me a blinding headache within 5 minutes of drinking; and I cannot remember for sure which/what it is. Which means, of course, opting for a Scotch (or Irish) is a bit like tap-dancing through a mine-field ;)

Glenlivet = good scotch. Green Plaid = lighter fluid.

edited December 1969

Anything that smells like Scotch, but I agree that Glenlivet is great. I have had many discussions about the best way to drink it, but the consensus of opinion appears to be 40% water and NO ICE!!!