The "The Weather Changes More Often than the Thread Title" Complaint Thread

1…343536373840»

Comments

  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,814
    Torquinox said:

    butterflyfish said:

    Complaint: My heating oil bill has been $336/month since it went up May. I just got an email that it is going up again to $579/month, because reasons. At this point it seems like it might be cheaper to heat my house with piles of money set on fire.

    That's a lot of cabbage! Unless your house is enormous and freezing cold, hard to think why it's so much, except it's actual oil with elevated oil prices.

    It's only about 1700 square feet, so not enormous at all. Oil is just absurdly expensive at the moment for obvious reasons. If it didn't cost so much to switch to another heat source, I would absolutely do it.

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,516

    Non-complaint:  Mini-adventure over.  Everything came out OK.yes  8:00 bus to the hospital area in the center of the city.  Had big breakfast at small local diner near the hospital.  Toddled down the hill to the dying commercial area.  Went into the bank branch, deposited a check, took out some cash, got some $1 coins.  Toddled across the parking lot to the dollar store.  Browsed, found nothing that I couldn't do without.smiley  Toddled across the street to the medical labs & my cardiologist.  Unnecessarily notified cardiologist receptionist that I had postponed my stress test, as an excuse to use their waiting room to comfortably waste some more time while TV and people watching and to use their nice clean toilet facilities.devil  Ubered to near part of city to the Chinese takeout on the west end of the decrepit mini-mall, got my Szechuan Chickenhearttakeout, toddled to the middle of the decrepit mini-mall to the hole-in-the-wall beanery for lunch (instead of breakfast for a change), Ubered to dentist an hour early.  Fell asleep in dentist's waiting room,  Dentist arrived at 1:00 and got me in the chair.  I screamed a couple of times as he shattered my molar and spent nearly a half hour trying to get all the pieces out.frown  Ubered home, commiserated with Uber driver who had also had a tooth pulled a couple of days earlier.yes

    Complaint:  Had wonderful time changing blood soaked gauze pads every 45 minutes a few times.  Anesthetic wore off about supper time.  Soup, for the next couple of days.frown  So, my Szechuan Chicken is dying in the refrigerator.frown  That, wasn't well planned.blush  Looking forward to drooling pink ooze onto my pillow case tonight.sad

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,769

    butterflyfish said:

    Torquinox said:

    butterflyfish said:

    Complaint: My heating oil bill has been $336/month since it went up May. I just got an email that it is going up again to $579/month, because reasons. At this point it seems like it might be cheaper to heat my house with piles of money set on fire.

    That's a lot of cabbage! Unless your house is enormous and freezing cold, hard to think why it's so much, except it's actual oil with elevated oil prices.

    It's only about 1700 square feet, so not enormous at all. Oil is just absurdly expensive at the moment for obvious reasons. If it didn't cost so much to switch to another heat source, I would absolutely do it.

    Is it a flat fee, rather than based on usage?

  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,814
    edited October 2

    butterflyfish said:

    Torquinox said:

    butterflyfish said:

    Complaint: My heating oil bill has been $336/month since it went up May. I just got an email that it is going up again to $579/month, because reasons. At this point it seems like it might be cheaper to heat my house with piles of money set on fire.

    That's a lot of cabbage! Unless your house is enormous and freezing cold, hard to think why it's so much, except it's actual oil with elevated oil prices.

    It's only about 1700 square feet, so not enormous at all. Oil is just absurdly expensive at the moment for obvious reasons. If it didn't cost so much to switch to another heat source, I would absolutely do it.

    Is it a flat fee, rather than based on usage?

    It's calculated on projected usage. They're charging $4.99/gallon times however much they think we're going to use over the winter, and then divided into 9 payments, May through January. I got another email that says we can pay $330/month over 12 months instead. We're going to have to do that because there's no way I'm coming up with almost $600/month. That still ends up being nearly $1k more over the year, though.

    That said, it's not a fixed rate this year, so it could go up again.

    Post edited by butterflyfish on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,516
    edited October 2

    I was worried about heating costs for this house going up so much that the new landlord might have to suggest that I pay some sort of additional fuel charge to enhance my permanently fixed(written into the house sales contract by previous landlord) rent plus utilities cost(hasn't changed in 18 years.yes ).  But here's what Gemini reports about the cost of heating fuels.  And since this house is heated with gas, now I don't feel so guilty about my previous landlord's opinion of me, causing my new landlord major problems.devil  I don't know why I was so lucky.indecision

    Screenshot 2026-10-02 075158.png
    680 x 1076 - 181K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 8,172
    Diesel is now averaging £2 per litre. That's $10.20 per US gallon, not a price hike I appreciate, especially as our van does around 23 miles per US gallon. Regards Richard
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,516

    Ouch!  And diesel used to be the goto fuel for economy!  What happened?  Gemini says the switch happened around the mid 2000s.  

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 13,605

    LeatherGryphon said:

    Ouch!  And diesel used to be the goto fuel for economy!  What happened?  Gemini says the switch happened around the mid 2000s.  

    Well for one thing a lot of diesel used to be produced in Russia and with the war their exports dropped. And as it requires a specific refining process it's not that easy to produce more elsewhere.

  • garrett_3dgarrett_3d Posts: 1,038

    Diesel is easier to produce than petrol. It goes through less refining than petrol. Diesel is a lot cheaper to produce, it's eco-taxes that make up 75% of the cost.

  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 4,176

    Complaint : Started my radiation treatments yesterday ,was thinking that the side affects wouldn't start immediatly , I was wrong ........oops my bad .

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,964

    carrie58 said:

    Complaint : Started my radiation treatments yesterday ,was thinking that the side affects wouldn't start immediatly , I was wrong ........oops my bad .

    I'm so sorry, and hope you can weather them okay.

    I'm not sure if tummy troubles are one of your issues, but maybe look into Sea Bands if so... it's a soft fabric elastic you wear around your wrist, and there's a little plastic piece that presses a particular accupressure point that helps reduce nausea. They can also be used for travel/motion/"sea" sickness, hence the name, but I have friends who have been through cancer treatments who swear by them. Amazon has them, often drug stores do as well.

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,516
    edited October 3

    @carrie58 Pushing positive waves your way.

    Non-complaint:  First day of soup is done.  Tooth socket has stopped bleeding.yes  Acetaminophen (Tylenol) helps with the jaw pain for a few hours.yes  I risked a small bowl of the fried rice from my Szechuan Chicken and chewed only on the good side of my mouth.  Lukewarm coffee & tea help refresh my mouth.  Saltwater rinse after all meals.  Tomorrow I finally get to brush my teeth, carefully avoiding the bad spot, but no alcohol, no acidic mouthwash, and no smoking(anything) for a week.frown 

    Symphony buddy emailed me.  Maybe in a week we can get together for breakfast again.  But I'd rather push it out for three weeks because I'm already way over my budget for this month.

    Complaint:  I open my refrigerator or browse my pantry and I see oodles of crunchy, snacky things that the dentist has strictly forbidden me for a week or two.sad  I'm determined to enjoy my Szechuan Chicken, but the crunchier parts will have to wait for another day or three.devil  I'm keeping it in the coldest part of the refrigerator.

    Nostalgia:  I finally broke down and ordered the two volume DVD set of the first year of the original '60s TV show "Burke's Law".heart (Got the last copy at Amazon.yes)  I found out that the second year is not, and has never been, available.frown  And as I remember, the third year wasn't worth remembering because they changed the premise of the show.  Anybody familiar with the original '60s version knows what I mean about nostalgia.  Each episode had 5 or more famous guest stars from that era.yes  Which is why the 2nd year isn't available, because of the licensing and royalties complexities for all those guests.  And the show has changed ownership several times.  Boogers!cheeky  Anybody else old enough to remember the original Burke's Law series?  They tried to revive it in the '90s but it wasn't nearly as good.  There's something about the b/w originals that made it so special.

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • XyetztXyetzt Posts: 27,568

    garrett_3d said:

    I hope you're not planning on rendering on the huge 128Mb GPU laugh

    You mean Mb, I thought that was Tb!

    No, actually I did not think it was a great machine as I paid only $70 for it. Yes, only $70!  It is not a power machine, I am aware. 

  • garrett_3dgarrett_3d Posts: 1,038

    Xyetzt said:

    garrett_3d said:

    I hope you're not planning on rendering on the huge 128Mb GPU laugh

    You mean Mb, I thought that was Tb!

    No, actually I did not think it was a great machine as I paid only $70 for it. Yes, only $70!  It is not a power machine, I am aware. 

    Yes, I said Mb. If it does what you want it to, the price tag is irrelevent.

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,516
    edited October 3

    Non-complaint:  Tooth socket was acting up last night.  Pain all up the right side of my face.  Tylenol helped but it was hard to fall asleep with the dull nagging pain.  Pain seems to have subsided today.  Tissues don't feel so swollen and angry this afternoon.  Maybe the worst is over.  Was able to finish my Szechuan Chicken.  Yay!  But still have to chew softish pieces, slowly and carefully on the left side of my mouth and then rinse with saltwater to soothe and get all the fragments of food out after eating.indecision

    'Nother non-complaint:  Yay, my DVD set of the full first year of Burke's Law has arrived.  A rare find.smiley

    Complaint:  House-neighbors in control of the heat in the house haven't turned it on today.  Outside is 40'sF, inside is 66F (tolerable, but chilly).  Had to snuggle up under my granny blanket for an impromptu nap while watching TV this afternoon, to make up for loss of sleep last night.  My "granny blanket" is an knit wool afghan made by my mother for me 50 years ago.  It's still in very good condition.  I hope to leave it to my currently 2 year old niece when I no longer need it.  It would be her "great granny blanket"  Is knitting still a thing?

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • XyetztXyetzt Posts: 27,568

    garrett_3d said:

    Xyetzt said:

    garrett_3d said:

    I hope you're not planning on rendering on the huge 128Mb GPU laugh

    You mean Mb, I thought that was Tb!

    No, actually I did not think it was a great machine as I paid only $70 for it. Yes, only $70!  It is not a power machine, I am aware. 

    Yes, I said Mb. If it does what you want it to, the price tag is irrelevent.

    True.  It so far is doing what I want it to do.  I just got it Wednesday.  I got Micrsoft word on it so I can do my writing.  I can play RS3 and maybe Sims 4. and maybe do some basic stuff in DS6, but do not expect to make the next pixar movie on it.

  • XyetztXyetzt Posts: 27,568

    I somehow missed Butterflyfish's birthday, so happy birthday.

    I showed this picture to an ai on my tablet and they assumed it was Daz Studio.  What a shock!

    IMG_5828.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,814

    Thank you smiley

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,964

    complaint: My 1-year promotional period for my internet service ran out, so I had to call customer service and get that sorted. I loathe, loathe, LOATHE AI gatekeepers. I don't care how sure you are you can help me, you stupid robot, stop cheerfully destroying our enviornment and people's health and job prospects and hand me to an actual person. Yes, an actual person. No, I don't care if you're sure you can help me HAND ME TO A LIVE PERSON.

    non-complaint: Locked in a good price for the next 5 years, so there's 5 years of not having to fuss about that. Also, taking amusement from the fact that I completely broke the brain of the poor (I assume young) customer service rep when I told her I don't have a cell phone. And wasn't interested that she could send me one plus a line to go with it for $5 a month. "You could take your phone with you when you leave the house!" -- I told her I'd lived my entire life just fine without a cell phone and saw no reason to start now. 

    Should've told her I can also churn butter by hand, use a drop spindle, and start a fire with flint. 

    (Full disclosure: I do have a cell that I use for emergencies, as does Teen Kiddo, but it's through a family plan with my parents, and I really see no incentive to change that. So she didn't need to know about it.)

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,516
    edited October 4

    A few times a year, door knockers from Spectrum knock on my door hawking fiber internet service.  They're very polite but I got tired of it.  Everytime, I'll tell them to take me off their list and don't darken my door again.  But without fail, they come back.  Recently I've started telling them that I already have fiber internet (I don't tell them it's with Windstream).  They'll ask with who and I'll lie and say "Spectrum of course, so please stop coming and asking if I want Spectrum".  This confuses them and they go away checking their list.  I swear, worse than the Jehovah Witnesses.frown

    A recent incident with a person in Burger King who had attracted my ire resulted in me being told I was rude.  I didn't really have a good comeback at the time and just became ruder until she finally went away.  I have mulled this over and have decided that the next time I'm told that I am rude, I'll reply "Yes, you're right I am rude.  But I don't share my rudeness with just anybody, so you should feel special".devil

     

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,964

    I finally put a post-it note on the inside of my glass storm door with a no "solicitors/religion/politics -- do not knock, do not ring" note on it... things have been remarkably peacful since. We were getting an absurd number of political people at the door before that. Five of them one day, and at a time when Little Dude was awake nights/asleep days. They're lucky I didn't answer the door because they would not have liked what they got.

    We apparently have all sorts of options for "latest and greatest" around here for internet, but they're all far more expensive than the "low end works just fine" needs we have. So I'm pretty much stuck with what I've got, but it does simplify the choice process.

  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 2,407

    I too have acquired a new laptop. And after six stupidly high interest payments, it will be mine forever.

    I also recently had to deal with an AI chatbot. I called the US organization, CFPB. Amazingly this had nothing to do with my questionable laptop purchase. My purpose was to ask about the status of a complaint. The bot asked me for my case number. I told it I had no case number. That’s why I wanted to know the status of the complaint. It continued to ask me for a case number, informing me that the case number should have fourteen digits with no spaces or special characters. After saying “operator”, trying in plain English to tell it what I wanted, and even saying a random fourteen-digit case number, it would just repeat “I Missed That” and ask for a case number after everything I said. I’m convinced it only exists to make people stop trying. I’m also convinced a recorded message that says “you will get no help here” would have been more practical.

    Apparently to run the Microsoft Copilot bot, your processor has to handle 40 TOPS. Apparently TOPS is the unit used to measure AI processing power. Well, I’ll bet it only takes 1 TOP to run that CFPB bot because it does nothing.

    I have never had much of an issue with pain after dental treatment. Of course I also was issued Vicodin the first time or two. But I don’t think I needed it. I found it to be oddly tasty. But I quickly discontinued use because it was obvious I didn’t need it. Once or twice, I endured the drill with no numbing.

    Maybe I’m not normal when it comes to pain. I have a friend/sister/variant who once told me, “pain and I have a special relationship”. I don’t think she’s normal either when it comes to pain.

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,516
    edited 3:03AM

    On toothache:  I was doing just fine until after breakfast this morning (Sunday)  Pain had been managed and tolerated and was abating.yes  Then all of a sudden it started to bleed. I opened a new gauze pad and chomped on it for 45 minutes, and it was pretty well stopped, but did another for another 45 minutes and all was well.  UNTIL, tonight after evening snack (cottage cheese).  Now it's bleeding again and I just changed the first new gauze after 45 minutes, but was still bleeding too much.  It remains to be seen if it finally stops after this 2nd attempt at about a half hour AFTER my normal bedtime.  Grrr...frown  Blood thinners, bah humbug, the only good thing about them is that I haven't yet died or turned into a vegetable from a clot in my arteries.indecision

    Non-complaint:  I'm finishing up watching the latest season of Star Trek Strange New Worlds.  Meh!  Too many fantasy plots.  I don't think the new writers know how to write good science fiction and have run out of plots.  Yeah, yeah, the older shows had fantasy episodes too, but there were more shows in a season and the percentage of science fiction to fantasy was higher.  But this series is heads & shoulders better than that debacle Star Trek: Academy that I gave up on half way through the season.cheeky

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon at
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 42,457
    edited 9:15AM

    ...ah dealing with reception bots.  I still remember all the numeric keys for the various topics and services when it asks me for a response.  I'm sorry but I do not care to talk to an algorithm.  At least the cable company finally ditched that cheesy keyboard sound effect when the bot says it's checking on something. If people honestly believed that was a "real person" on the other end, I have a dozen bridges here in Portland for sale, cheap,

    _______________

    The last "Star Trek series I watched was Enterprise (when I still had a television). It stared off pretty good, the Federation was still young and there was no Prime Directive yet.  However, I gave up on it when the writers  got into that ridiculous Temporal Civil War rubbish.

    Leave time travel to H.G Wells, Doc Brown and Marty, and The Doctor.

    Post edited by kyoto kid at
Sign In or Register to comment.