The "The Weather Changes More Often than the Thread Title" Complaint Thread

1…3536373941

Comments

  • GordigGordig Posts: 10,821

    About to take off on a cross-country flight, and I'm seated next to an infant. 

  • You'll need a pressure relief valve fitted to a blood vessel. Good luck

    Regards,

    Richard

  • XyetztXyetzt Posts: 27,572

    I am aboutt to go to Wells Fargo with some paper money to give them.  I also have my ID and my Wells Fargo account.  I think they are going to put the money into my account?

  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,414

    Happy Birthday, butterflyfish!

  • @butterflyfish Happy Birthday 

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,982

    @butterflyfish Happy belated!!

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,977

    NylonGirl said:

    Torquinox said:

    @NylonGirl I'd like to see that lawn mower! And it sounds like you've got a good neighbor. That's not to be taken for granted. There probably is a Daz outfit like what you describe, or it can be kitbashed.

    I have not been able to get a good picture of that thing. I bet it doesn't even have a reflection in a mirror. I bet the reflection would just show him floating in the air. 

    I see. Sounds demonic. laugh 

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,977

    @butterflyfish Happy Birthday 

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,525
    edited September 28

    @butterflyfish  Yes, let's celebrate the first time we're covered in blood.  Now, THAT's demonic.devil  More birthdays, yes.  Covered in blood, not so much.indecision

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Thanks, everybody.

    Seated next to an infant? Yikes!

  • A belated Happy 30th Birthday (on Mars) Butterflyfish.

  • Thanks, Richard lol
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 2,414
    It seems like Ye Ol' Remote Control has selected its last channel. It's a Logitech Harmony remote that connects to a hub through Bluetooth while the hub sends the signal to the devices. I think the hub is no longer connecting to the WiFi. And somehow this thing needs WiFi to pick up a Bluetooth signal from the remote and send an infrared signal to a TV. I don't know. But I am told it has been in operation for 16 years. It was a good remote.
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,525
    edited September 29

    @NylonGirl May it R.I.P. in the place where defunct electronics go.sad 

    Good boy scout here:  A few weeks ago I recognized the death throes of my old Amazon FireStick remote (stubborn or bouncy buttons) and ordered a new one when I noticed that I didn't have to buy a complete new FireStick system (HDMIstick plus remote).  So I am prepared for the day the music/video dies.devil

    Complaint:  After several months of relief, I was sitting at my computer just reading news, and got a $#@$@#%# bloody nose.crying  Repaired in 15 minutes and has been good for 3 days now, but what I had thought was over, isn't.frown

    Non-complaint:  I have my winter pantry almost full, and still have two more half-flats of canned fruits & veggies arriving this week.smiley 

    Complaint:  Cans of stuff are getting expensive.frown

    Non-complaint:  I was able to extract my A/C from the window and set it on the floor (on a plastic sheet) in front of the window until next summer.  Didn't have to get the house-neighbor to do it for me.

    Complaint:  I twisted my big toe(I was barefoot) while extracting the A/C and for two days now it has been inflamed and causing me to limp everywhere.  I hope it's better by Thursday(2 more days) when I have to go uptown for a stress test at the hospital in the morning, and then to the dentist to donate my molar in the afternoon.  I may have to dig out my cane and play old man again.indecision

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 4,033
    edited September 29

    LeatherGryphon said:

    Complaint:  I'm quite sure that there are a lot of people today who are not people.  Perhaps aliens, perhaps animated minerals, they certainly think like rocks, but  I see them all the time on YouTube, acting up and despite the weary efforts of a flabbergasted policeman, ending up going to jail because they couldn't understand the civilized way of handling being stopped for something as minor as a tail light out, or not wearing their seatbelt. (*eye roll*)  Don't kick the policeman in the nuts.  Just take the ticket!  Sigh, the bar is so low these days.  I guess if you wear clothes, you can drive a car.  License, registration and insurance optional.crying  I often think they believe as long as their mouth is open and jabbering, they're safe.indecision  Hint:  It never works.laugh

    I missed that you wrote this!  It reminded me of something from my childhood. Once my brother and I were walking the four blocks to our elementary school in the San Francisco East Bay when a patrol car drove up, two officers stepped out, and the officers had us stand with our hands against a chain link fence.They said that there had been a robbery and the victim was coming to identify us. It was particularly embarassing as our classmates would occasionally walk past and stare. Eventually, the woman showed up, looked at us, and yelled at the policemen. She said that the man who had robbed her was an adult, white, and tall as well as not being two short Black children.  The officers rather curtly released us so we continued to school. My brother repeatedly lectured me not to tell Dad when we got home.  Of course, in the evening, I raced and told my father who got rather angry. He had been one of the first Black police officers in our city, won Policeman of the Year a few years before for an act of bravery, and was now a senior dective for the county. He called the department and had a "conversation".  On the next day, the two officers, who had stopped us, showed up at our house and personally apologized to us in one of the scariest moments in my life.  We spent half the year fearing that they would exact revenge so I should have listened to my brother. My upshot is that both defendants and the police are highly fallible and that you still may be in a lot of trouble even if you are completely compliant.

    Very quickly, the city where I went to elementary school had a drug store with floor to ceiling glass windows.  I was in class, my Dad and another officer were in their patrol car nearby, and someone decided to rob the drug store. An employee triggered a silent alarm, my father got the call and drove up to the drug store. He could see the robber inside with a gun trained on the store staff who were lying on the floor. He walked up to the glass door, holstered his gun and stepped in. He then told the robber about his options: 1) shoot the police and every police force in the Bay Area would go after him and he probably would not be alive by the end of the evening or 2) hand over his gun, deal with some justice, and then get on with and improve his life. The robber handed his gun to my father and was arrested.  Strangely enough, he called us many years later to thank my dad for turning his life around.  Here is a redacted photo of the award:

    award.jpg
    3024 x 4032 - 2M
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 6,157

    nemesis10 said:

    LeatherGryphon said:

    Complaint:  I'm quite sure that there are a lot of people today who are not people.  Perhaps aliens, perhaps animated minerals, they certainly think like rocks, but  I see them all the time on YouTube, acting up and despite the weary efforts of a flabbergasted policeman, ending up going to jail because they couldn't understand the civilized way of handling being stopped for something as minor as a tail light out, or not wearing their seatbelt. (*eye roll*)  Don't kick the policeman in the nuts.  Just take the ticket!  Sigh, the bar is so low these days.  I guess if you wear clothes, you can drive a car.  License, registration and insurance optional.crying  I often think they believe as long as their mouth is open and jabbering, they're safe.indecision  Hint:  It never works.laugh

    I missed that you wrote this!  It reminded me of something from my childhood. Once my brother and I were walking the four blocks to our elementary school in the San Francisco East Bay when a patrol car drove up, two officers stepped out, and the officers had us stand with our hands against a chain link fence.They said that there had been a robbery and the victim was coming to identify us. It was particularly embarassing as our classmates would occasionally walk past and stare. Eventually, the woman showed up, looked at us, and yelled at the policemen. She said that the man who had robbed her was an adult, white, and tall as well as not being two short Black children.  The officers rather curtly released us so we continued to school. My brother repeatedly lectured me not to tell Dad when we got home.  Of course, in the evening, I raced and told my father who got rather angry. He had been one of the first Black police officers in our city, won Policeman of the Year a few years before for an act of bravery, and was now a senior dective for the county. He called the department and had a "conversation".  On the next day, the two officers, who had stopped us, showed up at our house and personally apologized to us in one of the scariest moments in my life.  We spent half the year fearing that they would exact revenge so I should have listened to my brother. My upshot is that both defendants and the police are highly fallible and that you still may be in a lot of trouble even if you are completely compliant.

    Very quickly, the city where I went to elementary school had a drug store with floor to ceiling glass windows.  I was in class, my Dad and another officer were in their patrol car nearby, and someone decided to rob the drug store. An employee triggered a silent alarm, my father got the call and drove up to the drug store. He could see the robber inside with a gun trained on the store staff who were lying on the floor. He walked up to the glass door, holstered his gun and stepped in. He then told the robber about his options: 1) shoot the police and every police force in the Bay Area would go after him and he probably would not be alive by the end of the evening or 2) hand over his gun, deal with some justice, and then get on with and improve his life. The robber handed his gun to my father and was arrested.  Strangely enough, he called us many years later to thank my dad for turning his life around.  Here is a redacted photo of the award:

    That is a wonderful father you have. But your story reminded me of a memory I have of 1968/69 (?) during the People's Park Demonstrations when the CANG were called out to patrol the streets of Berkeley. My high school Black History class from Marin County was visiting and I remember looking out as little kids from a nearby kindergarten were walking home for lunch. Tiny little black and brown kids in front of the white soldiers with weapons. I have never forgotten it.

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,525
    edited September 29

    Who's this LeatherGryphon guy?  He says some strange things.laugh  Not as strange as googly-eyes on random articles or book length posts that twist reality into knots, but strange.indecision

    And true, everybody makes mistakes, but being able to learn from them separates human from animated mineral. 

    And congratulations to your father.yes  Good people should be recognized.

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 4,033

    memcneil70 said:

    That is a wonderful father you have. But your story reminded me of a memory I have of 1968/69 (?) during the People's Park Demonstrations when the CANG were called out to patrol the streets of Berkeley. My high school Black History class from Marin County was visiting and I remember looking out as little kids from a nearby kindergarten were walking home for lunch. Tiny little black and brown kids in front of the white soldiers with weapons. I have never forgotten it.

    Ironically, My favorite memories of my dad were:

    1. When I was six, I wanted a slot car set. On Christmas day, my dad took me me alone to a local cafe where we had my favorite pancakes for breakfast. We returned home, and a slot car track was set up in a room.  I realize now tht there is no way that that restaurant would normally be open on Christmas Day so my father had made it happen as well as setting up the toy.
    2. The other was connected to my father and another officer coming to my school when I was in second grade. They had a miniature street crosswalk with buildings which they used to show my class how to cross the street.  Much later, I went with his to his office in Martinez California where he was a supervising detective. He proceeded to jay walk while I went to to corner to cross the street at the crosswalk. He asked why I didn't walk across since there were no cars. I told him he came to my school to teach us how to cross the street and I did my best to learn.
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,448

    When parents are good people as well as good parents, there is no greater gift a child can receive.  I was blessed to have mine be such parents and I miss them so much. For those who still have them; hold them tightly and tell them you love them while you can. D@^^it, made myself cry.

  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 6,157

    nemesis10 said:

    memcneil70 said:

    That is a wonderful father you have. But your story reminded me of a memory I have of 1968/69 (?) during the People's Park Demonstrations when the CANG were called out to patrol the streets of Berkeley. My high school Black History class from Marin County was visiting and I remember looking out as little kids from a nearby kindergarten were walking home for lunch. Tiny little black and brown kids in front of the white soldiers with weapons. I have never forgotten it.

    Ironically, My favorite memories of my dad were:

    1. When I was six, I wanted a slot car set. On Christmas day, my dad took me me alone to a local cafe where we had my favorite pancakes for breakfast. We returned home, and a slot car track was set up in a room.  I realize now tht there is no way that that restaurant would normally be open on Christmas Day so my father had made it happen as well as setting up the toy.
    2. The other was connected to my father and another officer coming to my school when I was in second grade. They had a miniature street crosswalk with buildings which they used to show my class how to cross the street.  Much later, I went with his to his office in Martinez California where he was a supervising detective. He proceeded to jay walk while I went to to corner to cross the street at the crosswalk. He asked why I didn't walk across since there were no cars. I told him he came to my school to teach us how to cross the street and I did my best to learn.

    Again, another sign of how absolutely lucky you are with your dad being one of the greatest.

    And I agree that if our parents are still with us, hug them close. Ask questions, write stuff down, hang out with them. Don't lose your chance to know them as an adult. 

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,525
    edited September 30

    Yeah, good parents are precious.  We weren't rich, dad worked a gas station/restaurant when I was a toddler (the young type) then a privately owned gas station/repair shop through my pre-teen years, then a mechanic in a ceramic fire-brick factory, then assessor for our local section of the county.  Mom was a wallpaper hanger (self-employed) for years.  Then she became the representative of our part of the county for the county legislature.  We were comfortable, had a big old farm house that saw continual improvement over the years.  We were able to have a new car a couple of times.  We took a couple of trips to Florida (from western NY State) to visit his brother down there. My parents were able to pay my 1st year in college in 1966.  I had to borrow for the rest (took me 15 years to pay it off).  Mom died early at 62, but I think the greatest thing I said to her was at her last Thanksgiving dinner when she was sick, was "You raised us right."  Yeah, here come the tears here too.  

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,525
    edited September 30

    Complaint:  Tomorrow was scheduled for a hectic day trying to satisfy two doctors.  Dentist called this morning to confirm 1:00 appointment for molar extraction.  I waffled and said I might be late.  That didn't go over well, but I said I'd "try my damnedest" to be there.  Then the Hospital called to confirm my stress test at 10:30AM.  I asked how long it usually took and the answer was 3-4 hours!  Oof.  I'd expected I'd be done by 12:30 in time to take an Uber to the dentist and then home and had everything all scheduled.  Getting in for the stress test any earlier wasn't an option and they also said that when I left, my blood would be radioactive and implied that the dentist might not approve of sticking his hands into zombie blood streaming from my jaw.  So I had the hospital move my stress test appointment out a couple of weeks.  Problem solved.  Yay!smiley  Except that tomorrow, I now have to take the 8:00, one and only, bus from here to the hospital in the middle of the city (too late to reschedule) and waste four and a half hours putzing around in the city, spending money on buses and Ubers and food, huffing and puffing up/down hills, and wearing out all my lower joints before heading to the dentist on the near side of the city.  Yay again!frown

    Non-complaint:  Wheee... a mini-adventure

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • XyetztXyetzt Posts: 27,572

    I am debating on getting a mouse pad.  My new wireless mouse is not good on this sofa.  but then I am bringing the mouse with me not the sofa.

     

  • garrett_3dgarrett_3d Posts: 1,038
    edited September 30

    I had a custom mouse pad (my own design) delivered yesterday from ID Gaming, 36" x 16". Amazing quality. Normally £33 but they had a 3 for 2 offer on so picked up one each for my brother and sister-in-law. Made mine £22.

    Post edited by garrett_3d on
  • XyetztXyetzt Posts: 27,572

    I got a grey blau mousepad.  Right now I am at the Taco Bell that I am going to have an interview soon.

  • XyetztXyetzt Posts: 27,572

    This is the Specs of my new HP notebook.  My Pen and Gear specs are college ruled paper and cardboard cover.  Great for pencils or pens.

    Screenshot 2026-10-01 101537.png
    1435 x 902 - 103K
  • garrett_3dgarrett_3d Posts: 1,038

    I hope you're not planning on rendering on the huge 128Mb GPU laugh

  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,814

    Complaint: My heating oil bill has been $336/month since it went up May. I just got an email that it is going up again to $579/month, because reasons. At this point it seems like it might be cheaper to heat my house with piles of money set on fire.

  • Mixed:  1. Gilligan the Ditzy Collie slipped out because Husband didn't shut the door completely. (In his defense, door is balky.) Bear the Lab waited a bit to bark to me about the door & Gilly. I grabbed shoes, treats & leash to try and find him on foot - a daunting prospect as Gilly, like all tripod dogs, is fast! and I am not. In an unbelievable turn of events, Gilly came back when I started calling for him. 2. More storms are coming in today. We need the rain badly but Gilly has a very bad time in storms. Bear used to not be bothered much but that's changed the last year or so. I don't know if it's age (he's 12) or he is picking it up from Gilly. Thankfully the vet's office was able to refill their trazodone yesterday.

    Non-Complaints: 1. My unemployment pay finally started. (Here, you are eligible if your hours are cut.) It's not much, but is very helpful. 2. Mower Friend is also looking around for a motor for Husband's truck, whether we decide to trade for it or keep it. Friend also offered a window AC as one of ours didn't do well in the heat waves this summer. 3. Best news! Son and his lovely girlfriend finally were able to find a nice rental house so they can move in together! So happy for them. Bonus - Son asked about storing some of his things in our big shed. I warned him he would have to help us make room first because stuff is still very haphazard and he said he would. 

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,977

    butterflyfish said:

    Complaint: My heating oil bill has been $336/month since it went up May. I just got an email that it is going up again to $579/month, because reasons. At this point it seems like it might be cheaper to heat my house with piles of money set on fire.

    That's a lot of cabbage! Unless your house is enormous and freezing cold, hard to think why it's so much, except it's actual oil with elevated oil prices.

Sign In or Register to comment.