The "The Weather Changes More Often than the Thread Title" Complaint Thread

1…3536384041

Comments

  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 2,414

    We need some kind of mashup where the shuttle lands and bunnies come out looking for apples.

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,977
    edited September 20

    That would be funny.

    Post edited by Torquinox on
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,982

    memcneil70 said:

    Life: Yesterday I stripped the bed, washed all the bed linens, sheets, blankets, quilt, and throws. This morning Charlie decided to pig out on his breakfast and after he was groomed, and I had just settled down at my computer, he started the infamous hacking up. He managed to nail a pillow case, four throws, cover sheet and quilt. He knows he totally messed up and has apologized and is now asleep against the rest of the pillows. Simon, who was asleep when all this went down, flashed out of the bedroom and hasn't returned.

    So, more laundry today. Joy. 

    One positive note, my iPad is finally charging. Thanks to the last iOS 26 update, it messed up the charging completely. Even upgrading to iOS27 which was waiting to go live didn't help. So I went and bought one of the Apple power adapters and a new cord. Had to reboot again but it is now stable and keeping a charge. (Knocks on wood.)

     

    Oh gosh, so sorry about the laundry. That's always the way, isn't it?

    Glad your iPad is behaving, though! 

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,982

    NylonGirl said:

    We need some kind of mashup where the shuttle lands and bunnies come out looking for apples.

    I would watch the living heck out of that :D 

  • Maybe not so much a *complaint* exactly, but with assorted AI slop popping up all over the place, I'll now see some nice outfit and either wish it was in my (DAZ) collection - cue that meme up LOL - or I'll find myself digging through the CL to see if there's something in there that's close enough to somewhat imitate the look if I can't recreate it entirely. Is anyone else having that issue as well? See something nice by accident and you know you have DAZ render material? I know it's not exactly exclusive to the AI period - one could have done this looking through clothing sites/stores and fashion mags, but it feels far more prevalent now, at least to me.

    And if there's a "get the look" link, it's like... "Yeah I need that in 3D, actually."

    There's also the "I have everything *but*..." problem as well, be it pose, outfit, location, etc. - "I have the model, I have the outfit, I have the pose, I just need the right location..." or "I have the model, pose, and location, I just need the right outfit..."

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,462

    kyoto kid said:

    ..,however, use of shuttles was no where as frequent for "planet side" episodes as the transporter was.

    Gene Roddenberry invented the transporter for cost savings and for story pacing. In the 1960s, animating a shuttle leaving a larger ship and descending to an alien planetary surface would have been... astronomical. (heh) The transporter special effect was an FX loop filming water swirling in a bucket. Filmed once. Used every episode.

    He also didn't want to have to waste minutes of screen time with essentially dead air as the animation of the shuttle played.

    And there's a story that Seth MacFarlane purposefully used shuttles in The Orville because it didn't cost him much. And so he didn't have to explain the physics of transporters to anyone.

     

  • SilverGirl said:

    NylonGirl said:

    We need some kind of mashup where the shuttle lands and bunnies come out looking for apples.

    I would watch the living heck out of that :D 

    So would I, and my family, and most of my friends. If anyone wants to read a good account of making the original series, written at the same time, get The Making of Star Trek. It is available to read online at the Wayback Machine aka Archive.org in the books selection.

     

  • Not Complaining, Just Confused: Bear has the typical Lab appetite - will eat all the food and then some, then fill the corners like a hobbit. This morning he didn't even look at his bowl, while Gilligan came out immediately and lay down and started eating, even though he is less into dog food than most dogs. Yes, you read correctly, he likes to eat lying down. Later, when Husband was getting ready to pick me up from work, he had a time getting Bear to come back in from his outside break. Usually it's Gilly who dawdles & ignores us.

    Maybe they've declared Opposite Day? Could they be pulling that identical twin trick of pretending to be each other? Not that you could mistake them for each other - super fuzzy black Lab mix versus liver & white smooth border collie. 

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,982
    edited September 22

    complaint: Grown men flirting at (I refuse to say "with") and catcalling Teen Kiddo. Bonus points because Kiddo is very obviously not old enough to consent to a single stinking thing.

    When people said the teenage years would be hard, nobody warned me that this would be why.

    I've had my share of older men thinking they were smooth when I was younger, especially because back then I Iooked even younger than what I actually was (yay for being short, I guess). It was gross then. 

    It's even worse when it's your kid getting it.

    Seriously, dudes need to get a clue that it is not flattering when a guy old enough to be your father or grandfather gets "charming" (vomit), and no, the target being polite doesn't mean they started it, were returning it, invited it, or are enjoying it. 

    (And yes, we've had the safety talks, including about how there is no reason for a random grown up to EVER ask a kid for help, and "you're so mature for your age" is a giant reg flag unless there's some serious context that makes it not one. But still.)

    Post edited by SilverGirl on
  • XyetztXyetzt Posts: 27,572

    Last year in September, I went to the local natural history musem.  I was not feeling well.  I think my blood sugar was too low.  I am pretty sure I have hypoglacima.  I lost my blance but I was about 4 steps up on the stiars heading downstiar.  I ended up falling down and getting a bloody nose.  My leg has not fully healed due to that fall.

    I told Gemini that I ordered some dairy products from a store called Amazon.  It was sour cream, shredded cheese, milk and butter.  I think butter is a dairy item?  I can understand the answer Gemini gave me, but it does not look Englisch.

    IMG_5655.jpeg
    1743 x 825 - 153K
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 2,414

    Not so long ago, our lawn had reverted to the natural prairie this land once was. With all the rain we had, the grass was tremendously tall and thick. And then came the sunshine.

    I heard a terrible rumbling outside. Much to my delight, it was our neighbor firing up his riding mower that looked like a vehicle from Beyond Thunderdome. He could mow anything. And he was mowing our lawn.

    He mowed the portion around the house, destroying mounds of dirt and fallen branches alike. The lawn looked like the surface of a pool table, or perhaps a golf course. And this had made my task easier because I only had to mow the perimeter.

    The next week, armed with a brand new battery, I went for it. And I succeeded. As I came back in, it was 98 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I was soaked in sweat and probably looking like a DAZ character at this point.

    As if they have an outfit called Yard Work G8 but it’s basically yoga pants and a shirt. And it’s a little transparent now but it includes a bra and panties. And your character is still a good girl because her shoulders are covered by her see-through shirt.

    Summer appears to be over. I’m back to normal now. Whatever that is.

  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,977

    @NylonGirl I'd like to see that lawn mower! And it sounds like you've got a good neighbor. That's not to be taken for granted. There probably is a Daz outfit like what you describe, or it can be kitbashed.

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,982

    non-complaint: My reputation has now extended to at least one squirrel.

    As Little Dude and I were coming home from our most recent walk, it saw us on the street and sat up at attention, little nose twitching. And ran over to the place where I always make the Critter Door Dash drop. And looked back, expectant.

    By the time I got to the driveway, he'd gone into the yard, picked up a half-eaten apple, and stood on his hind legs. He locked eyes with me and held it out... then put it down and scampered off to watch from a safe distance. 

    I'm going to have to figure something out for when that tree stops dropping apples. I always put the cut-up bits from the jack-o-lanterns out, but that's a ways off...

     

     

  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,448

    .The rabbit has been telling the squirrel about you. They are notorious gossips, that twitching nose is always in someone else's business. 

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,982

    Heh, maybe! I just thought it was neat that the squirrel was making such an obvious attempt at communication. I know they're smart, but I never had one try to bridge the language barrier. :)

  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 6,157

    That explains the fight I heard in the trees the other day as I was walking back to my apartment from the dumpster. The 'chittering class' was going strong and loud, leaves were falling and when they realized I was in sight, all went quiet. I found pizza on the sidewalk as I turned the corner of my walk. Pizza squirrels?

    @SilverGirl, I am not sure if your grocery stores have these bins, but one of mine (a Kroger store - King Soopers), has older fruit and veg's that are no longer as fresh but still usable at deep discount. Maybe that could be a source of inexpensive 'critter' food?

    Non-Complaint/Complaint? I was treated for my back pain yesterday and before the procedure my spine doctor discussed referring me to the main spine center for possible surgery. Apparently my spine's collapse and extreme curvature (scoliosis) over the past years has moved beyond what we anticipated when I started with her. I agreed to be evaluated by another spine surgeon even though I am not sure how it will impact me and my living conditions. I can only listen and decide.

    But the counter push-ups I have been doing were put to use as I lowered myself on the treatment table yesterday without effort. I am up to 3 reps of 10, or I try until Charlie lets me know he wants to be groomed NOW!

    But I am relatively pain free now of migraine and back pain. I hope it continues today and for everyone, I hope you have a wonderful day and weekend. Denver has been getting rain, I am very grateful to the monsoon.

    Mary

  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 3,982
    edited September 25

    memcneil70 said:

    That explains the fight I heard in the trees the other day as I was walking back to my apartment from the dumpster. The 'chittering class' was going strong and loud, leaves were falling and when they realized I was in sight, all went quiet. I found pizza on the sidewalk as I turned the corner of my walk. Pizza squirrels?

    Back when I went to the U of MN, I was constantly amused by the stuff I saw the squirrels go after. Saw one trying to drag off a discarded fast food bag (presumably with some fries or something still in the bottom... I didn't check). It wasn't making much progress, but wow the determination!

    @SilverGirl, I am not sure if your grocery stores have these bins, but one of mine (a Kroger store - King Soopers), has older fruit and veg's that are no longer as fresh but still usable at deep discount. Maybe that could be a source of inexpensive 'critter' food?

    Sadly, nope. Lots of times pears and apples get pretty cheap in the fall/winter, though, if you're not picky about getting the fancy sort. And it's not like I have to put out enough to be their entire diet, of course. But a little something to help (and because critters deserve happy tasty thngs too)...

    Non-Complaint/Complaint? I was treated for my back pain yesterday and before the procedure my spine doctor discussed referring me to the main spine center for possible surgery. Apparently my spine's collapse and extreme curvature (scoliosis) over the past years has moved beyond what we anticipated when I started with her. I agreed to be evaluated by another spine surgeon even though I am not sure how it will impact me and my living conditions. I can only listen and decide.

    But the counter push-ups I have been doing were put to use as I lowered myself on the treatment table yesterday without effort. I am up to 3 reps of 10, or I try until Charlie lets me know he wants to be groomed NOW!

    But I am relatively pain free now of migraine and back pain. I hope it continues today and for everyone, I hope you have a wonderful day and weekend. Denver has been getting rain, I am very grateful to the monsoon.

    Mary

    Hooray for relatively little pain today! And I hope your treatment options wind up to be good and effective and with minimal recovery time and such. 

    Post edited by SilverGirl on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 42,465
    edited September 25

    Complaint:

    A couple mornings ago when I booted up my system I got the MS blue screen with a message that they were was reconfiguring my system and then installing updates. Interesting....as I've had the auto update feature turned off for years to prompt me when update was available. 

    About a half hour later (after two auto restarts) I was finally able to sign onto my system.  When the system was ready I  checked around and saw nothing out of the ordinary, no new software installed (on a couple occasions years go MS tried to install Edge on my system), I ran a full scan and there were no alerts of an unsuccessful intrusion attempt or blocked malware from my AV.  So really mystified how MS got around my settings to supposedly update something,

    A  few hours later, another MS blue screen popped up which said that my OS was "out of date" and I should upgrade to Windows 10.   Err....right, as W10 reached EOL almost a year ago,  This leaves me wondering how MS would know that I was still running WIn 7. 

    ...unless, it was something they installed a while back which was lying in wait all these years that somehow activated itself, sort of like a time bomb,

    Sneaky of them.  Just hope if it happens again it doesn't wipe Win 7 off my system or there will be heck to pay as I am unable to afford upgrading the hardware to Win 11 standards with how prices for memory and storage have skyrocketed.recently.

    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,977

    That sounds pretty awful! They're trying to force you off win7. I have an old box that still runs xp.

  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,525
    edited September 26

    Torquinox said:

    That sounds pretty awful! They're trying to force you off win7. I have an old box that still runs xp.

    Yep, I've got a couple of old, heavy, solid, Dell XP boxes from before Dell cheapened themselves.  I blow the dust off and wake them up once in a while give 'em a physical, change their battery every few years, and send 'em back to bed.  I'm waiting for the time that they'll have a place in a museum.  (*snicker, snicker*)  I even have lots of spare parts for 'em.  But all my old Win95, 98, ME & 2000 machines ended up euthanized.  Couldn't find the room for spare parts.  But I do still have installation CDs & manuals.

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 4,977
    edited September 26

    My xp box runs old school StarCraft et al angel it's also packed in the market's most awesome GM sniper case. I just don't want to part with it!

    Post edited by Torquinox on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 42,465
    edited September 27

    Torquinox said:

    That sounds pretty awful! They're trying to force you off win7. I have an old box that still runs xp.

    ...Yeah, I'd do it if they gave me 3,400 USD to upgrade so I can install Win 11.  On my income it is pretty much impossible with how living are rising (just got a notice today about a rent increase beginning in January, so much for next year's SS COLA again).

    I have a 20 year old 32 bit notebook which with Xp on it which still works   That's what I started working in Daz on over 18 years ago (Ver 1.8).

    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • XyetztXyetzt Posts: 27,572

    I was taking a nap this afternoon.  Taco Bell called and woke me up from my nap.   I realised at that time I have not have had my lunch yet.

    But they wanted me to come in for an interview.  On Wednesday at 3pm.

     

    I think if I get accepted I get a chance to get free Taco Bell food.  I have loved Taco Bell since I was a teen.

    IMG_5709.png
    2360 x 1640 - 2M
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,525
    edited September 26

    A "Wheee..." in your image wouldn't be out of place, rhymes very nicely.enlightened  Or perhaps, if they do, then "Wheee... Taco Bell hired me!"smiley

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 12,525
    edited September 26

    Observation:  Fall has fell:  Overnight temperatures in the 40sF (5C).  Windows closed all day.  House neighbors finally turned the heat on. (I have no control over the heat in this house.)  Leaves are turning.  Pumpkins are in the grocery store.

    Non-complaint:  Fruit galore in the store.yes  It's not yet snowing.smiley  Mice have not invaded my kitchen since I started putting minty smelling mouse deterrent packs under the kitchen sink.cool I don't have to buy a new flannel shirt.  Found an unopened one in my clothes drawer.smiley It's almost cool enough to start wearing my leather biker jacket again.heart

    Complaint:  Cardiologist wants me to have a stress test on Thursday morning.  Dentist wants one of my molars that afternoon.frown  I've already had to raid my savings and I still have 4 weeks to payday.sad   My two year old jeans were washed and still fit (sort of), but if I lose 5 more pounds they'll bunch too much.frown  Good excuse to stop dieting?

    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Non-Complaints: 1. Wednesday we celebrated our 35th anniversary a couple days late by having dinner at a local Mexican place. Yum! 2. One of my McD's regulars at work has become a friend. He has been helping husband fix our push mower. We have also been talking with Friend about buying a used riding mower or small tractor from him next spring, since Friend repairs and refurbishes them. A couple days ago, Friend came over with a riding mower he had spent the day before fixing up. We have it as a loaner with option to buy or possibly trade for Husband's truck that needs a new motor. The 2 men did some mowing and let me try it out. So now we have a yard as opposed to a mini jungle. Just over 4 acres to go. 3. Another friend dropped by today with turnip greens & okra from his garden. I am going to cook the greens & some hot sausage today. Husband gets them for supper. I'm not a fan of greens so I will have anniversary leftovers. 

  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 2,414

    Torquinox said:

    @NylonGirl I'd like to see that lawn mower! And it sounds like you've got a good neighbor. That's not to be taken for granted. There probably is a Daz outfit like what you describe, or it can be kitbashed.

    I have not been able to get a good picture of that thing. I bet it doesn't even have a reflection in a mirror. I bet the reflection would just show him floating in the air. 

  • Non-complaint: I am older now. (57)

    Complaint: But I am older now.

    Ah well. Beats the alternative.

  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 2,414

    butterflyfish said:

    Non-complaint: I am older now. (57)

    Complaint: But I am older now.

    Ah well. Beats the alternative.

    Well Happy Birthday 

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 42,465
    edited September 28

    miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

    Non-Complaints: 1. Wednesday we celebrated our 35th anniversary a couple days late by having dinner at a local Mexican place. Yum! 2. One of my McD's regulars at work has become a friend. He has been helping husband fix our push mower. We have also been talking with Friend about buying a used riding mower or small tractor from him next spring, since Friend repairs and refurbishes them. A couple days ago, Friend came over with a riding mower he had spent the day before fixing up. We have it as a loaner with option to buy or possibly trade for Husband's truck that needs a new motor. The 2 men did some mowing and let me try it out. So now we have a yard as opposed to a mini jungle. Just over 4 acres to go. 3. Another friend dropped by today with turnip greens & okra from his garden. I am going to cook the greens & some hot sausage today. Husband gets them for supper. I'm not a fan of greens so I will have anniversary leftovers. 

    ...congratulations on both your 35th and finding a new and helpful neighbourhood friend,

    ___________________

    butterflyfish said:

    Non-complaint: I am older now. (57)

    Complaint: But I am older now.

    Ah well. Beats the alternative.

     ...happy 57th

     

    Post edited by kyoto kid on
Sign In or Register to comment.