Daz Studio 6.25[.0.x], General Release!

1…1819202123

Comments

  • DoctorJellybean said:

    skybluerob said:

    So in Daz Studio 6, none of the existing scripts work, and there's no Animate 2? That sounds like a real step backwards. Think I'll be sticking with 4 if this is the case. Very disappointing.

    If you are referring to 3rd party scripts, some do work. 

    But I gather only the ones that the scriptwriters update to the new version?

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 111,721
    edited September 8

    skybluerob said:

    DoctorJellybean said:

    skybluerob said:

    So in Daz Studio 6, none of the existing scripts work, and there's no Animate 2? That sounds like a real step backwards. Think I'll be sticking with 4 if this is the case. Very disappointing.

    If you are referring to 3rd party scripts, some do work. 

    But I gather only the ones that the scriptwriters update to the new version?

    Plug-ins absolutely require updates. Scripts may or may not work, it depends on exactly what they do and how they do it.

    If it has a package for each bit architecture and operating system that it supports it is almost certainly a plug-in, if it has only cross-platform content packages then it is almost certainly not a plug-in.

    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

    skybluerob said:

    DoctorJellybean said:

    skybluerob said:

    So in Daz Studio 6, none of the existing scripts work, and there's no Animate 2? That sounds like a real step backwards. Think I'll be sticking with 4 if this is the case. Very disappointing.

    If you are referring to 3rd party scripts, some do work. 

    But I gather only the ones that the scriptwriters update to the new version?

    Plug-ins absolutely require updates. Scripts may or may not work, it depends on exactly what they do and how they do it.

    If it has a package for each bit architecture and operating system that it supports it is almost certainly a plug-in, if it has only cross-platform content packages then it is almost certainly not a plug-in.

    Hi.  Yes, just seems like a real step backwards.  A bit similar to when Poser decided to gimp all their plugins (although not as bad as that).  Just a shame that rather than just improving on Daz Studio 4, they essentially decide to break it for many users. 

  • skybluerob said:

    Richard Haseltine said:

    skybluerob said:

    DoctorJellybean said:

    skybluerob said:

    So in Daz Studio 6, none of the existing scripts work, and there's no Animate 2? That sounds like a real step backwards. Think I'll be sticking with 4 if this is the case. Very disappointing.

    If you are referring to 3rd party scripts, some do work. 

    But I gather only the ones that the scriptwriters update to the new version?

    Plug-ins absolutely require updates. Scripts may or may not work, it depends on exactly what they do and how they do it.

    If it has a package for each bit architecture and operating system that it supports it is almost certainly a plug-in, if it has only cross-platform content packages then it is almost certainly not a plug-in.

    Hi.  Yes, just seems like a real step backwards.  A bit similar to when Poser decided to gimp all their plugins (although not as bad as that).  Just a shame that rather than just improving on Daz Studio 4, they essentially decide to break it for many users. 

    They didn't have much choice. Qt 4 is no longer supported, therefore the switch to Qt 6.  

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,374

    skybluerob said:

    Hi.  Yes, just seems like a real step backwards.  A bit similar to when Poser decided to gimp all their plugins (although not as bad as that).  Just a shame that rather than just improving on Daz Studio 4, they essentially decide to break it for many users. 

    The only way they could do this is by NOT supporting NVIDIA 50xx Series RTX video cards. DS4, and by extension the scripting for DS4, is based on a cross-platform library called QT, version 4. The drivers for 50xx series cards are only compatible with QT version 6. (An entire generation of QT, version 5, was skipped.) The shame here is not getting ahead of the change in time. There was a DS5 project. It never finished. That's why DS went from DS4 to DS6. But not releasing DS6 was not an option.

  • jmucchiello said:

    skybluerob said:

    Hi.  Yes, just seems like a real step backwards.  A bit similar to when Poser decided to gimp all their plugins (although not as bad as that).  Just a shame that rather than just improving on Daz Studio 4, they essentially decide to break it for many users. 

    The only way they could do this is by NOT supporting NVIDIA 50xx Series RTX video cards. DS4, and by extension the scripting for DS4, is based on a cross-platform library called QT, version 4. The drivers for 50xx series cards are only compatible with QT version 6. (An entire generation of QT, version 5, was skipped.) The shame here is not getting ahead of the change in time. There was a DS5 project. It never finished. That's why DS went from DS4 to DS6. But not releasing DS6 was not an option.

    The distinction between DS 5 and DS 6 is the Qt version used, so DS 5 became DS 6 rather than being an abandoned project (and DS 4 has had updates with what were essentially DS 5/6 features that didn't require the move to a new version of Qt). It wasn't just support for the new nVidia chips (up until the beginning of last year there was meant to be an Iray version that would have been integratable in DS 4, but it proved to have fatal issues and the update that fixed those did have the higher requirements) but rather that Qt 4 was, as Doctor Jellybean says, no longer supported and was a block on other things Daz wanted/needed (including Apple Silicon support, I believe).

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,374

    I was just pointing out it took them so long to make DS 5 they had to change the QT version in the middle of developing. I don't know why it took them so long. I'm sure they didn't want to stay on the 15 years old QT4 as long as they did. But that doesn't change my comment about the part that cause the most pain for support of scripts and plugins is that they didn't get in front of the tech stack changes. It isn't an indictment, more of a post mortem.

  • jmucchiello said:

    skybluerob said:

    Hi.  Yes, just seems like a real step backwards.  A bit similar to when Poser decided to gimp all their plugins (although not as bad as that).  Just a shame that rather than just improving on Daz Studio 4, they essentially decide to break it for many users. 

    The only way they could do this is by NOT supporting NVIDIA 50xx Series RTX video cards. DS4, and by extension the scripting for DS4, is based on a cross-platform library called QT, version 4. The drivers for 50xx series cards are only compatible with QT version 6. (An entire generation of QT, version 5, was skipped.) The shame here is not getting ahead of the change in time. There was a DS5 project. It never finished. That's why DS went from DS4 to DS6. But not releasing DS6 was not an option.

    The distinction between DS 5 and DS 6 is the Qt version used, so DS 5 became DS 6 rather than being an abandoned project (and DS 4 has had updates with what were essentially DS 5/6 features that didn't require the move to a new version of Qt). It wasn't just support for the new nVidia chips (up until the beginning of last year there was meant to be an Iray version that would have been integratable in DS 4, but it proved to have fatal issues and the update that fixed those did have the higher requirements) but rather that Qt 4 was, as Doctor Jellybean says, no longer supported and was a block on other things Daz wanted/needed (including Apple Silicon support, I believe).

    Thanks for the explanation. I don't know anything about all this Q4 stuff, but I don't understand why it caused scripts to stop working. Is Q4 a kind of scripting language?
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 13,583

    skybluerob said:

    Richard Haseltine said:

    jmucchiello said:

    skybluerob said:

    Hi.  Yes, just seems like a real step backwards.  A bit similar to when Poser decided to gimp all their plugins (although not as bad as that).  Just a shame that rather than just improving on Daz Studio 4, they essentially decide to break it for many users. 

    The only way they could do this is by NOT supporting NVIDIA 50xx Series RTX video cards. DS4, and by extension the scripting for DS4, is based on a cross-platform library called QT, version 4. The drivers for 50xx series cards are only compatible with QT version 6. (An entire generation of QT, version 5, was skipped.) The shame here is not getting ahead of the change in time. There was a DS5 project. It never finished. That's why DS went from DS4 to DS6. But not releasing DS6 was not an option.

    The distinction between DS 5 and DS 6 is the Qt version used, so DS 5 became DS 6 rather than being an abandoned project (and DS 4 has had updates with what were essentially DS 5/6 features that didn't require the move to a new version of Qt). It wasn't just support for the new nVidia chips (up until the beginning of last year there was meant to be an Iray version that would have been integratable in DS 4, but it proved to have fatal issues and the update that fixed those did have the higher requirements) but rather that Qt 4 was, as Doctor Jellybean says, no longer supported and was a block on other things Daz wanted/needed (including Apple Silicon support, I believe).

    Thanks for the explanation. I don't know anything about all this Q4 stuff, but I don't understand why it caused scripts to stop working. Is Q4 a kind of scripting language?

    Qt is an application development framework which helps you develop cross-platform application. It includes many tools and utilities, and among them a scripting engine.

    The scripting engine used by Qt4 has been replaced by a new one in Qt6 which is based on a more recent standard, and there have been other evolutions in the framework (especially in parts which handle the UI).
    If a script didn't use things that changed, then it will usually work as is in DS6. But a lot of them relied on features which have changed so the code needs to be updated.

  • SaintSaint Posts: 127

    Me my very self, I'm just disappointed that we're more than three months into Daz Studio 6 and they haven't patched out any of the kinks yet (I don't count Beta so don't even bother bringing that up).

  • Saint said:

    Me my very self, I'm just disappointed that we're more than three months into Daz Studio 6 and they haven't patched out any of the kinks yet (I don't count Beta so don't even bother bringing that up).

    The less of a workout the betas get the more kinks will not be found until the general release.

  • jmucchiello said:

    I was just pointing out it took them so long to make DS 5 they had to change the QT version in the middle of developing. I don't know why it took them so long. I'm sure they didn't want to stay on the 15 years old QT4 as long as they did. But that doesn't change my comment about the part that cause the most pain for support of scripts and plugins is that they didn't get in front of the tech stack changes. It isn't an indictment, more of a post mortem.

    Maintaining compatibility with scripts and plug-ins would be a major part of why they didn't update.

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,374

    Richard Haseltine said:

    jmucchiello said:

    I was just pointing out it took them so long to make DS 5 they had to change the QT version in the middle of developing. I don't know why it took them so long. I'm sure they didn't want to stay on the 15 years old QT4 as long as they did. But that doesn't change my comment about the part that cause the most pain for support of scripts and plugins is that they didn't get in front of the tech stack changes. It isn't an indictment, more of a post mortem.

    Maintaining compatibility with scripts and plug-ins would be a major part of why they didn't update.

    They knew they'd have to bite that bullet eventually. Putting off just resulted in what we have now.

    It didn't help that the release of DS6 was a complete surprise to the PAs. Most of them were still posting "I'll work on that when they finalize the API" and then suddenly there was the big DS6 release. Shouldn't the API have finalized before that?

  • jmucchiello said:

    Richard Haseltine said:

    jmucchiello said:

    I was just pointing out it took them so long to make DS 5 they had to change the QT version in the middle of developing. I don't know why it took them so long. I'm sure they didn't want to stay on the 15 years old QT4 as long as they did. But that doesn't change my comment about the part that cause the most pain for support of scripts and plugins is that they didn't get in front of the tech stack changes. It isn't an indictment, more of a post mortem.

    Maintaining compatibility with scripts and plug-ins would be a major part of why they didn't update.

    They knew they'd have to bite that bullet eventually. Putting off just resulted in what we have now.

    It didn't help that the release of DS6 was a complete surprise to the PAs. Most of them were still posting "I'll work on that when they finalize the API" and then suddenly there was the big DS6 release. Shouldn't the API have finalized before that?

    SDK, not API. And no, DS 6 was inistially released as an alpha where you would not expect the SDK and API to be final. The PAs did know about DS 6 in advance, but that doesn't alter the fact that plug-in (and to a considerable extent script) developers needed to wait until the SDK was ready, which needed to wait until a wider range of users had used DS 6.

  • jmucchiellojmucchiello Posts: 2,374

    Richard Haseltine said:

    jmucchiello said:

    Richard Haseltine said:

    jmucchiello said:

    I was just pointing out it took them so long to make DS 5 they had to change the QT version in the middle of developing. I don't know why it took them so long. I'm sure they didn't want to stay on the 15 years old QT4 as long as they did. But that doesn't change my comment about the part that cause the most pain for support of scripts and plugins is that they didn't get in front of the tech stack changes. It isn't an indictment, more of a post mortem.

    Maintaining compatibility with scripts and plug-ins would be a major part of why they didn't update.

    They knew they'd have to bite that bullet eventually. Putting off just resulted in what we have now.

    It didn't help that the release of DS6 was a complete surprise to the PAs. Most of them were still posting "I'll work on that when they finalize the API" and then suddenly there was the big DS6 release. Shouldn't the API have finalized before that?

    SDK, not API. And no, DS 6 was inistially released as an alpha where you would not expect the SDK and API to be final. The PAs did know about DS 6 in advance, but that doesn't alter the fact that plug-in (and to a considerable extent script) developers needed to wait until the SDK was ready, which needed to wait until a wider range of users had used DS 6.

    Hair splitting. I didn't say they didn't know DS 6 was under development. I meant the actual release day was a surprise. PAs were still saying they couldn't start plugins and DS 6 splashed across the Daz home page without prior warning. Most software releases get articles telling to be prepared on such and such future date.

  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 648

    What the .... ?

    In the middle of something, I suddenly had Auto-fit refuse to run and complain about not being registered. I've used it a number of tiems earlier today as well as many times whiel using DS6. Went to about installed plugins, and my DS6 Pro Bundle had all become unregistered. Had to go find my serial number, re-register, and then of course go through the palaver of restarting DS and finding and re-loading where I was. When I first started using DS6 whenever it was the first non-alpha/beta release was I went through re-registering all the plugins then.

    What the heck?

  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,464

    And is there ever going to be a Macintosh version that runs on Apple's M chips? The M chips first came out in 2020. Do you mean that Daz can't get a version of its studio Running yet on the silicon chips? I'm on iOS 27 and it's the last OS that will include a Rosetta Emulation.

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 13,583

    inquire said:

    And is there ever going to be a Macintosh version that runs on Apple's M chips? The M chips first came out in 2020. Do you mean that Daz can't get a version of its studio Running yet on the silicon chips? I'm on iOS 27 and it's the last OS that will include a Rosetta Emulation.

    An Apple Silicon version of DS6 is planned, according to the evergreen thread. We don't have more information than that.

  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,464

    That's the same information we've had for years

  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 3,617

    inquire said:

    That's the same information we've had for years

    True, there's really only three answers they can give us: "We're finished", "we're still working on it", and "we give up".  They're still fixing aspectes of the latest version for both Mac and Windows, so parts of DAZ Studio itself are still a little in flux and I expect they'd like to make it as stable as possible before releasing a whole new version just for the Mac. As long as they're not announcing, "we give up", I'm all for letting them take their time to release as solid a version as possible.

    While people buying new Macs next year will need a silicon-native version, most of us here don't necessarily need to upgrade to the very latest version the minute it comes out; we can afford to wait beyond the releast of the newest OS for a while.

  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,464

    Well, I'm so disgusted with Daz that I actually haven't even been using studio for months. I guess I just don't believe that Daz is going to come through with what they are promising. And I don't plan on sticking with an older OS version because "DAZ Isn't finished yet, so just keep on using this old version. Don't upgrade." That's not my plan. 
     

     

     

     

  • garrett_3dgarrett_3d Posts: 1,028

    wsterdan said:

    While people buying new Macs next year will need a silicon-native version

    You mean there are people will still be able to afford a new Mac by then? surprise 

  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 3,617

    garrett_3d said:

    wsterdan said:

    While people buying new Macs next year will need a silicon-native version

    You mean there are people will still be able to afford a new Mac by then? surprise 

    There should still be a number of decent machines that'll cost less than the price of a high-end NVIDIA card.  laugh

  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 3,617

    inquire said:

    Well, I'm so disgusted with Daz that I actually haven't even been using studio for months. I guess I just don't believe that Daz is going to come through with what they are promising. And I don't plan on sticking with an older OS version because "DAZ Isn't finished yet, so just keep on using this old version. Don't upgrade." That's not my plan. 

    Sound like you've already solved your problem, well done! 

  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 648

    STILL no thumbnail for DS6 in DIM. Yes, very minor in the list of DS6 issues that need addressing. But given how small and quick a job it is, not bothering getting it done really shows how DAZ just accept that the DS6 'General Release' is really still a half-baked beta despite the label.

    Has anyone else suddenly had their Pro plugins become unregistereed for no apparent reason? i'd like to know if I should expect that to recur, given how disruptive it was when in the middle of something.

  • TotteTotte Posts: 15,188

    I'm confident that there is a Apple Silicon version around the Corner.
    Iray works on Apple Silicon ( CPU mode )
    Qt 6 works on Apple Silocn natively
    I think they just need to iron out outstanding bugs in DS 6 before they can actually release a beta version of the Apple Silicon build of DS 6.
     

  • DavidGB said:

    Has anyone else suddenly had their Pro plugins become unregistereed for no apparent reason? i'd like to know if I should expect that to recur, given how disruptive it was when in the middle of something.

    It needs reactivating every 14 days, if I remember correctly. 

  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 648

    What? Since when?

    I have NEVER had to reactivate the 'Pro' bundle of plugins with DS4 over a LOT of years. I had to reactivate them once when I first used DS6 on the day of DS6 General Release - first time I used DS6 - and never since until yesterday when it suddenly threw up a refusal to autofit if i didn't register it despite having done many earlier in the day.

    This had better NOT be a new regular thing. It was hugely disruptive happening in the middle of doing something long and complicated, given my memoery issues both long term and moment to moment from a side effect from one of the meds i need to take for my disability.  Making me break my tenuous train of thought, then have to shut down and re-start DS6 after re-registering was a REAL pain ane set me right back. If this is going to be a regular thing, then that's it - I'll give up DS again, despite the amount I've spent on content both previosuly and almost daily lately. If this kind of disruption becomes regular, not jsut soem one-off freak accident, then I'm off. Sheesh. And you can tell whoever makes these decisions at DAZ that, along with telling them to have a look at my account and how much i've been spending since 2004.

    FFS

  • LeanaLeana Posts: 13,583

    I think DoctorJellybean might have been thinking of Premier features, which require you to log in regularly to stay active. I've never had to do that for regular "pro" features.

  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 648

    If relevant my DSs - 4 aand 6 - NEVER connect to the internet, and are NEVER going to, I let DIM connect after buying something, and browse the site, but that is it and all it's ever going to be.

    It might just be acceptable if - and ONLY if - it only ever de-registered plugins and threw up a message to re-register during start-up, and definitely before managing to load anything. Suddenly doing that in the middle of working is absolutely NOT acceptable AT ALL. If it is official, designed behaviour to completely screw up my workign like that, I'll wipe my DS SSD, for all the $1000s of dollars I've spent.

Sign In or Register to comment.