Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part III

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited June 2015 in The Commons

Continuation:- Here we go, part 3 of Show Us Your Iray Renders

The first thread is Here for those that want to look, and read up on ideas and knowledge gathered so far.

The Second thread is Here

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Continuation:- Here we go, part 3 of Show Us Your Iray Renders

The first thread is Here for those that want to look, and read up on our ideas and knowledge gathered so far.

The Second thread is Here

Thank you Chohole, for the new thread. These Iray threads are filling up fast....and no wonder :lol:

Greeting.png
    700 x 802 - 643K
  • pearbearpearbear Posts: 227
    edited December 1969

Thanks for pointing out that new little HDRI included in the latest update. (mentioned by a few people in the previous thread) It's a great one. Here are a couple of renders using it as the only light source. There are some palm trees and other props added in the background of this scene too, very out of focus. The figure is a custom G2F morph wearing Hongyu's Bikini for V6.

beach4.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 228K
    beach3.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 201K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

getting the water right was giving me fits. so now its Ice.

Iray_Serpio_Test.jpg
    1014 x 850 - 890K
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Yep, Cath...proper geometry goes a long way to improving eye 'realism', even in 3DL.

I don't have any of the morph packages that include a Corneal Bulge, or Iris Depth or Pupil Dilation morphs...so I just knocked out a set in Blender. And it's improved things dramatically, even in a basic, G2F as she loads materials, no tweaks 3DL render.

We cheated a bit and tagged the surfaces I mentioned. :) In the case of Genesis 2 Base Female and Genesis 2 Base Male the settings I listed are what you are getting in Iray, even without changing anything, or even if you apply a different character or material set that does not do radical things to the eyes. :) (Have to be able to do aliens after all. LOL)

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited May 2015

pearbear said:
    Thanks for pointing out that new little HDRI included in the latest update. (mentioned by a few people in the previous thread) It's a great one. Here are a couple of renders using it as the only light source. There are some palm trees and other props added in the background of this scene too, very out of focus. The figure is a custom G2F morph wearing Hongyu's Bikini for V6.

Must try this included HDRI some more, as the first time I didn't get the results I had hoped for. Your character looks to be bathed in a very natural looking light....very nice.

:-)

Post edited by Musicplayer on
  • 8eos88eos8 Posts: 170
    edited May 2015

Trying out Mec4D's tips for eyes. Both of these have the caustic sampler on (and I had to turn my sky haze effect off because it really slowed things down) and cornea bulge at 1 (don't have iris morphs though). For the catchlight I used a 3000 lumen spotlight directly behind the camera lens w/rectangle geometry.

#1 - cornea IOR = 1.38
    #2 - cornea IOR = 2.7

I think there's maybe too much reflection going on in the second one, but judging from headshots on Google images it looks closer to me to what you'd get in reality than the first one does, even though that's the one using the correct value for the cornea.

keshi1-ior2.7_.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 747K
    keshi1-ior1.38_.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 747K
    Post edited by 8eos8 on
  • Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited December 1969

As an answer to #1497 http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/815360/

Nice idea, jag, Altough IMO "veins layer" could be a bit too much. And the textures aren't that accurate, too. I'd rather use them as a to Black & White converted image as a mask put into the color slot of the dermis layer, since the look they got is more that seen from beyond the epidermis than it would look, like when you remove that and view the dermis directly.
    Additionally, they look more than an artists expression than an attempt to map the net of human blood vessels as accurate as possible.

The IOR value for the dermis will be a bit lower than that of the epidermis as it contains more fluids.
    An appendix of Huafeng Ding, Jun Q Lu,William A Wooden, Peter J Kragel and Xin-Hua Hu's "Refractive indices of human skin tissues at eight wavelengths and estimated dispersion relations between 300 and 1600 nm" (Phys. Med. Biol. 51 (2006) 1479–1489) lists a value of 1.396 for the dermis, and 1.433 for the epidermis, at a wavelength of 633 nanometers.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

As an answer to #1497 http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/815360/

Nice idea, jag, Altough IMO "veins layer" could be a bit too much. And the textures aren't that accurate, too. I'd rather use them as a to Black & White converted image as a mask put into the color slot of the dermis layer, since the look they got is more that seen from beyond the epidermis than it would look, like when you remove that and view the dermis directly.
    Additionally, they look more than an artists expression than an attempt to map the net of human blood vessels as accurate as possible.

The IOR value for the dermis will be a bit lower than that of the epidermis as it contains more fluids.
    An appendix of Huafeng Ding, Jun Q Lu,William A Wooden, Peter J Kragel and Xin-Hua Hu's "Refractive indices of human skin tissues at eight wavelengths and estimated dispersion relations between 300 and 1600 nm" (Phys. Med. Biol. 51 (2006) 1479–1489) lists a value of 1.396 for the dermis, and 1.433 for the epidermis, at a wavelength of 633 nanometers.

Thx for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

To achieve an aceptable level of reality this approach needs a proper elaborate design.

Interesting thing is the fact you can combine layers of materials each with its unique properties.

• Space VikingSpace Viking Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

pearbear said:

Wow! So realistic. Very nice. Great morph, too. Looks like a real woman. Unlike mine. Still getting used to Iray after being a devoted Reality user. I hate learning new settings and ways to light. But at least it lights more like a real photo studio. I never could get the hang of 3Delight, or Firefly. The biggest for me to learn though, and I apologize if this is obvious, or been answered elsewhere: how do you save a canceled render? I've looked all over and can't find the answer.

MASQUE_Iray_1.jpg
    1331 x 998 - 119K
  • Cake OneCake One Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

pearbear said:

Wow, that's an AMAZING render, with an amazing character !
    Congratulations on this one :)
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Coming soon, for Iray. ;)

sychildrenofserpent-daz3d-pop03.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    sychildrenofserp-daz3d-main.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    edited May 2015

Wow! So realistic. Very nice. Great morph, too. Looks like a real woman. Unlike mine. Still getting used to Iray after being a devoted Reality user. I hate learning new settings and ways to light. But at least it lights more like a real photo studio. I never could get the hang of 3Delight, or Firefly. The biggest for me to learn though, and I apologize if this is obvious, or been answered elsewhere: how do you save a canceled render? I've looked all over and can't find the answer.

In the new Beta build when you hit Cancel in the render window the save option should be available. (As should the resume option.)
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

In the new Beta build when you hit Cancel in the render window the save option should be available.

Thanks, Spooky. I have a MAC, and DAZ 4.8.0.9

Is there a more recent build? Or does this option not work on the Mac? Because it doesn't give me a save option. It just goes away, and doesn't appear in the Render Library window, either.

edited May 2015

In the new Beta build when you hit Cancel in the render window the save option should be available.

Is there a more recent build? Or does this option not work on the Mac? Because it doesn't give me a save option. It just goes away, and doesn't appear in the Render Library window, either.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55716/ Or just open Install Manager and get DS 4.8.0.44 (Release Candidate.).

Note if you use the cancel button on the Render View, not the render progress dialog, in your build it should allow you to save the render, just not resume it in your version.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55716/ Or just open Install Manager and get DS 4.8.0.44 (Release Candidate.).

Note if you use the cancel button on the Render View, not the render progress dialog, in your build it should allow you to save the render, just not resume it in your version.

Thanks again, Spooky. I got confused because I thought .9 would be the more recent over .44. I downloaded it and darned if I didn't get a save as dialogue this time when I hit cancel. So appreciate it!

• BlantyrBlantyr Posts: 90
    edited December 1969

I went out with my trusty idiot resistant camera to take a picture of some flowers. Alas, the flowers were in the shade of trees, not quite my desired shot. Has one been playing with Iray too much if one's first thought is to rotate the dome? It works, but you have to be patient.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885
    edited December 1969

Blantyr said:
    I went out with my trusty idiot resistant camera to take a picture of some flowers. Alas, the flowers were in the shade of trees, not quite my desired shot. Has one been playing with Iray too much if one's first thought is to rotate the dome? It works, but you have to be patient.

I literally laughed out loud.

Thumbs_up.jpg
    800 x 768 - 211K
  • Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:

Thx for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

To achieve an aceptable level of reality this approach needs a proper elaborate design.

Interesting thing is the fact you can combine layers of materials each with its unique properties.

You're welcome. :)

I just stumbled across something that could be of interest for your attempt to create a multi-layer skin shader. There are also some relevant data given that can be used in our new favourite renderer (First document, page 27; 39 of the PDF).

http://etd.uwaterloo.ca/etd/akrishna2005.pdf

http://www.aravind.ca/doc/biospec.pdf

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited May 2015

Testing out my Zbrush normal and displacement and as you see working 100% as I made them , sculpted on 14 million poly for the G2F iris and 5 million for the face only , and if you look really closer you will find a little Easter egg lol
    Her name is Dragonesia "You caught my eye"
    I hope u like this little creation..

DRAGONESIA_2__Iray_2015.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    Testing out my Zbrush normal and displacement and as you see working 100% as I made them , sculpted on 14 million poly for the G2F iris and 5 million for the face only , and if you look really closer you will find a little Easter egg lol
    Her name is Dragonesia

Wow. That is not even fair. :D Gorgeous work.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited May 2015

I've been playing with mirrors. Given my love of dramatic lighting and abstactish backgrounds, this is going to be a favorite setup for me going forwards.

@pearbear that morph is fantastic. you did the body too yes? Those shoulders are just lovely. and the lighting is excellent. Did you add a rim light or is it all the HDR

@mech that eye is just astounding, whether up close to see the detail or zoomed out to just get the effect of the light.

lightsandmirrors.png
    600 x 900 - 706K
    Post edited by j cade on
    edited December 1969

Awww thank you .. just having great time last night sculpting for fun
    btw thanks for the tutorials you made , the most clear explanations ever , the God's Rays was good one !

MEC4D said:
    Her name is Dragonesia

Wow. That is not even fair. :D Gorgeous work.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Mec4D that dragon eye is incredible!!

I am just starting to play with iray and I know where to put the HDR in environment, but I keep seeing reference to putting mesh lights in the scene...where do I find these mesh lights?

edited December 1969

Thanks Kharma,
    you can use emissive shader on any geometry , just load a sphere or other primitive and under Iray shader preset you will find shader preset called Emissive , that shader preset will convert the surface into glowing light like bulb, or other light source , you can set light power etc.. later under surface tab

Kharma said:
    Mec4D that dragon eye is incredible!!

I am just starting to play with iray and I know where to put the HDR in environment, but I keep seeing reference to putting mesh lights in the scene...where do I find these mesh lights?

edited May 2015

Yeah, Iray totally blows lighting out of the water. EVERYTHING can be mesh light, with minimal effort.

I'm also really liking the Iray optimized skin stuff, now. I don't know if I missed something, but it seems to set everything just about right.

Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited December 1969

Maybe it was updated with the last Beta build

Yeah, Iray totally blows lighting out of the water. EVERYTHING can be mesh light, with minimal effort.

I'm also really liking the Iray optimized skin stuff, now. I don't know if I missed something, but it seems to set everything just about right.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Does that mean there is no actual light to load? Sorry if this sounds silly but lighting in any form is not my strong suit

edited May 2015

You can use HDRI maps for lighting, you can use Sun and Sky lighting, under Environment, you can create new photo metric light in the menu bar under Create and you can transfer any surface into light source , I think a lot of light to play with :)
    don't use the regular distance and spot light with Iray it is for 3Delight rendering , Iray need photo-metric lights only

Kharma said:
    Does that mean there is no actual light to load? Sorry if this sounds silly but lighting in any form is not my strong suit
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

There are traditional point and spotlights (photometric). Unlike before, now you can set their 'warmth' (look up light bulb temperature), and also give them basic shapes.

Then there are environmental stuff, in the Render Settings, to create various backdrop/ambient/sky stuff.

Then you can just pick any object and make it glow. For example, you could put a light bulb object in the scene and 'turn it on.' Or just make a wall glow. Or... eyes. Or anything.

It's pretty awesome.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,559
    edited December 1969

Blantyr said:

I literally laughed out loud.

...nice.

This discussion has been closed.