Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part III

Comments

• 3D-GHDesign3D-GHDesign Posts: 677
    edited December 1969

That DragonEye is so cool, I just noticed the small guy inside eyes ... I guess that was the Easter Egg you mentioned :)
    Thanks for the HDRI, will give it a try.

Yesterday I noticed, I can't use GPU rendering... only black scene when I selected render GPU only. I thought my driver is up to date, but noticed I made some mistake and I need to check on some other options in NVIDIA Experience, so finally I could use today the GPU to render. And it is fantastic.... much faster even if I have only one GeForce GTX460. I love this Iray thing, even if I have to learn many-many things about it.

Today I played with it and made this one... not exactly what I want, but not bad. I couldn't make perfect soap bubble even if I used that thin-film thing. There are so many options to set in other software. For example for here, that Newton ring thing would be cool for the soap bubbles, but I don't know how should I set it here. And sure, the color was depend on the HDRI I used, because with other environment sometimes it was more colorful.

bubbles.jpg
    800 x 800 - 288K
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

the light on the legs is nice , very nice setup in general , I use always caustics

Kamion99 said:
    I am never going back to not using caustics. So much fun!

Some minor postwork, mostly just defireflying. Also originally the signature was going to be postworked, but I changed my mind and re-rendered the bottom corner. Thank you to whomever in this thread mentioned that you could spotrender to a new window.

I really like the hands also the light on the knee.

Pose was shamelessly stolen off a Sargent painting.

As ever, larger version in my gallery

edited December 1969

That's cool !!! love it

That DragonEye is so cool, I just noticed the small guy inside eyes ... I guess that was the Easter Egg you mentioned :)
    Thanks for the HDRI, will give it a try.

Yesterday I noticed, I can't use GPU rendering... only black scene when I selected render GPU only. I thought my driver is up to date, but noticed I made some mistake and I need to check on some other options in NVIDIA Experience, so finally I could use today the GPU to render. And it is fantastic.... much faster even if I have only one GeForce GTX460. I love this Iray thing, even if I have to learn many-many things about it.

Today I played with it and made this one... not exactly what I want, but not bad. I couldn't make perfect soap bubble even if I used that thin-film thing. There are so many options to set in other software. For example for here, that Newton ring thing would be cool for the soap bubbles, but I don't know how should I set it here. And sure, the color was depend on the HDRI I used, because with other environment sometimes it was more colorful.

• 3D-GHDesign3D-GHDesign Posts: 677
    edited December 1969

Thank you Cath! Good to hear this from you :D

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885
    edited May 2015

Decided to do a closeup of the character.

The hair is... ok. I probably need to up the SubD, but my computer was already straining.

I'm not sure the complexion is quite right. Also trying 2.66 IOR on the cornea...

Earth_bender_closeup.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

You guys may want to fire up Install Manager. :)

edited December 1969

Installing as we speak LOL .. thanks mate !

You guys may want to fire up Install Manager. :)
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

OMG! Downloading new version right now!

edited December 1969

More LAMH experiments.

Center-parted hair!

(A side part is going to be a lot more of a challenge. Gulp)

Center_parted_hair.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

More LAMH experiments.

Center-parted hair!

That's really nice.

How did u master your LAMH abilities?

edited December 1969

I just ... tried it a bunch, and tried to learn the main functions rather than trying to do it by hand.

I STINK at moving things by hand, at least in LAMH. But clever use of procedural stuff, THAT I can do.

Just submitted a bunch of stuff to Alessandro to put in free presets.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

More LAMH experiments.

Center-parted hair!

Sorry...between that expression and the hair, I keep looking for the cowlick...

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Yes, HDRs can make nice total light systems. :) And fast, too!

Popup01.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
  • AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the present! Very nice of you. What a difference a nice light makes, along with the right surface shading ;-)

Gen2 Female with the current default Iray mats & a customized mat

MEC4D said:
    Made for you HDRi map for face shots
    the scene is included also so just put the unzipped files in My Library folder and load the scene from the last Beta 0.44
    the scene is under : My Library\Light Presets\MEC4D\HDRI STUDIO
    you can change the Dome rotation , 45 degree is the front and 90 degree is the actual studio room with the light on the side .
    the base light shine at 9 o'clock with shadows
    The Draw Dome is set Off .. When you set it On you will get kind of scene set
    The Finite Sphere with ground is scaled to match the HDRI maps and light power
    you can add extra ISO under tone mapping for more light power no more than 200 ISO
    and change the white point for more cooler or warmer light

Files (893 KB total)
    MEC4D_HDRI_STUDIO_LIGHT.zip
    Will be deleted on
    15 May, 2015
    Download link
    http://we.tl/78QcRSkXGs

Four images removed by a mod

Mec4d-HDRI-Freebie-Material-Comparison-AlexLO050815.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 418K
  • StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

quick test using some of UrbanSprawl3 ,ignore the cars tires sitting beneath the ground :\..rendered at 4k..outdoor renders like this seem to go much faster than anything else I've tried in Iray..

Cheers
    Stefan

114ghfddfrte.jpg
    1700 x 755 - 494K
  • Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

quick test using some of UrbanSprawl3 ,ignore the cars tires sitting beneath the ground :\..rendered at 4k..outdoor renders like this seem to go much faster than anything else I've tried in Iray..

Cheers
    Stefan

Nice work Stefan! And yes, Iray loves more light. It does slow down in shadowed areas. Although, in a lot of cases, the scene is 'good enough' way before the render finishes, as it seems the lighter areas are all finished. Back in the day when you used 'film', you generally had to go to a faster film like at least 400 speed and it left some grain all over. So some grain in the shadows to me, looks very much like real photography. The exception now is that better DSLRs now handle those dark areas with very little noise. i guess we are going to need an add noise filter for processing our digital images now. LOL!!!
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

ignore the cars tires sitting beneath the ground

Cheers
    Stefan

They ain't below ground...they've been flattened...looks like you've got some vandalism problems in that neighborhood.

edited December 1969

Don't forget that the all materials was not actually PBR based so you get different results in different areas , adding more or less light will not make it more photo realistic unless the surfaces are actually representing physically based materials , I wonder how would it looks like when all AO information and Light was removed from the textures and bump , normal and light created the true simulation ..

Dumor3D said:

Cheers
    Stefan

Nice work Stefan! And yes, Iray loves more light. It does slow down in shadowed areas. Although, in a lot of cases, the scene is 'good enough' way before the render finishes, as it seems the lighter areas are all finished. Back in the day when you used 'film', you generally had to go to a faster film like at least 400 speed and it left some grain all over. So some grain in the shadows to me, looks very much like real photography. The exception now is that better DSLRs now handle those dark areas with very little noise. i guess we are going to need an add noise filter for processing our digital images now. LOL!!!
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,743
    edited December 1969

It is about time I start to play with IRAY

I really miss fog effects.....anyone got any tips on how to get them?
    I tried the cube trick sickleyield made a tutorial about...but it didnt seem to work here *shrug*

stawarsstreet.jpg
    1124 x 862 - 492K
    edited December 1969

Homage to Attack on Titan. Heh.

Consumption.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Iray is definitely rendering faster now, and the defaults don't need as much tweaking

with included HDRI

A: Iray Optimized Skin settings with changes made according to notes and observations from this forum
    B: Iray Optimized Skin settings Defaults

newbuildtest2.jpg
    521 x 844 - 83K
    newbuildtest3.jpg
    521 x 844 - 83K
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    It is about time I start to play with IRAY

I really miss fog effects.....anyone got any tips on how to get them?
    I tried the cube trick sickleyield made a tutorial about...but it didnt seem to work here *shrug*

You mean like this? I did this using sickleyield's method,

godray-test.jpg
    1014 x 850 - 651K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Cheers
    Stefan

Looks good Stefan.

ps, pavement must be warm! ;)

edited December 1969

Regarding fog, the things to watch out for:
    Camera must be outside the volume.
    The light source must be tight -- if you are using Sun, you want to make the disk size much smaller, like .5 rather than 4. (I usually just use a distant spotlight, because I can't ever seem to get the sun right)

edited December 1969

The light source must be tight -- if you are using Sun, you want to make the disk size much smaller, like .5 rather than 4. (I usually just use a distant spotlight, because I can't ever seem to get the sun right)

I was outside the volume, i made sure of that.....but maybe i should have tried a spotlight instead of the sun

Thanx

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,002
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Iray is definitely rendering faster now, and the defaults don't need as much tweaking

with included HDRI

A: Iray Optimized Skin settings with changes made according to notes and observations from this forum
    B: Iray Optimized Skin settings Defaults

Someone at DAZ must have been taking notes, :lol:
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:

I was outside the volume, i made sure of that.....but maybe i should have tried a spotlight instead of the sun

Thanx

Doing another render of the God Rays scene, since its from a previous build... something has definitely changes as the shadows are not as pronounced as they were in a previous build....

more testing is requires... Discovery requires experimentation

edited December 1969

Yeah, at this point I'm not bothering with special skins, except when I need ones with no eyebrows.

I apply optimized, tweak glossy and top coat (-> fresnel), maybe drop translucency for darker skins, cornea to 1.0 and refraction (I've experimented with 2.66 ior but not sure)

edited May 2015

oops double post.

Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, at this point I'm not bothering with special skins, except when I need ones with no eyebrows.

I apply optimized, tweak glossy and top coat (-> fresnel), maybe drop translucency for darker skins, cornea to 1.0 and refraction (I've experimented with 2.66 ior but not sure)

I found he top coat set to 'weighted" works better for me than fresnel....fresnel seems to flatten out the textures taking away the natural sheen of skin

This discussion has been closed.