Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part III

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I consumed so much chocolate while working in long winter months, unfortunately there was not Morph slider to get me back to the base lol
    but true, I wish there was UNDO button , life would be so much easy lol

Blantyr said:
    I went out with my trusty idiot resistant camera to take a picture of some flowers. Alas, the flowers were in the shade of trees, not quite my desired shot. Has one been playing with Iray too much if one's first thought is to rotate the dome? It works, but you have to be patient.
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited May 2015

Ok I found nothing saying photometric light option in the create menu, and I can not find anything in in the render menu for background/ambient/sky stuff, which items do you refer to? also how do you make an item glow? this is the newest update that I am using for beta

Edit: under create menu there is only iray decal node and iray section plane node for new items, I am sure before this update there was something for photometric light...maybe not

Post edited by Kharma on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

ER, woops, I think they folded all the lights together. Just make new lights.

For objects, you need to apply an Iray Shader.

Under Shader Presets should be 'Iray.' You can either apply Iray Base Shader, or Emissive (which has emission turned on). They're both the same effective shader, just one has emission turned on and one doesn't.

About halfway down the shader is an Emission color. If it's anything other than black, the object emits and you get more options.
    For regular stuff, set emission to White, and then change the emission temperature. 2000 is reddish, 6500 is white, and then you can go hotter for more sterile/daylight conditions.

Then there's luminosity, which is brightness. Just play with it until it's right, really (I usually add zeroes into it until it's too much, then dial it down)

If your computer is reasonably good, you can set 'Iray Preview' in the place where you can make the viewport wireframe or texture or whatever; this does some of the Iray stuff in the viewport, and I find it very handy for setting the light levels and tone mapping appropriately.

(Tone mapping is in Render Settings, and let's you adjust the overall brightness of the scene)

• BlantyrBlantyr Posts: 90
    edited December 1969

Under Shader Presets should be 'Iray.' You can either apply Iray Base Shader, or Emissive (which has emission turned on). They're both the same effective shader, just one has emission turned on and one doesn't.

About halfway down the shader is an Emission color. If it's anything other than black, the object emits and you get more options.
    For regular stuff, set emission to White, and then change the emission temperature. 2000 is reddish, 6500 is white, and then you can go hotter for more sterile/daylight conditions.

Then there's luminosity, which is brightness. Just play with it until it's right, really (I usually add zeroes into it until it's too much, then dial it down)

If your computer is reasonably good, you can set 'Iray Preview' in the place where you can make the viewport wireframe or texture or whatever; this does some of the Iray stuff in the viewport, and I find it very handy for setting the light levels and tone mapping appropriately.

(Tone mapping is in Render Settings, and let's you adjust the overall brightness of the scene)

At a guess, adjust Luminous Flux to change the light brightness under Iray, Intensity under 3Delight.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

thanks for that info, I found and tried the base shaderbut wasn't sure how the emissive shader worked,now I do :) So for the create new lights there is no difference between spotlight and photo metric spotlight now? You just go create and new spot or distant light?

edited May 2015

Ok, I think they improved the optimized skin. It uses a light pink translucency rather than red, but it seems to work pretty nicely.

This image is Genesis 2 male with Benjamin skin applied (it worked automagically this time, I'm not sure if I changed something on my end or they changed something on theirs), then I applied Iray Optimized Skin (I didn't have to do ctrl-click).

The only surface changes I made was to reduce Translucency from .5 to .2 (darker skin is less translucent, otherwise he looks like a boiled lobster), change Top Coat to Fresnel and a gray color, and change the top coat's roughness for lips from .25 to .7 (matching the rest of the skin).

Oh, I also dropped refraction of Eye Reflection/Tears to 1.33 (they were at 1.36), and Cornea up to 1.4.

I'm fairly impressed.

Hoodoo_man.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • pearbearpearbear Posts: 227
    edited May 2015

Kamion99 said:

@pearbear that morph is fantastic. you did the body too yes? Those shoulders are just lovely. and the lighting is excellent. Did you add a rim light or is it all the HDR

Thanks! Yes, the face and body are both a combination of dial spins and Z-brush sculpting baked to displacement maps.

I was really happy how the rim light worked too, it's just from the free HDRI included with the latest update. Just rotate environment to varying degrees to get all kinds of nice lighting options from that one HDRI.

Mec4D, that iris is so pretty! So much depth.

Post edited by pearbear on
    edited December 1969

Very nice work, she reminds me of someone even the teeth .. very natural looking model .. the hair front line killing it a little bit as the rest is too good .. good job

pearbear said:
    Thanks for pointing out that new little HDRI included in the latest update. (mentioned by a few people in the previous thread) It's a great one. Here are a couple of renders using it as the only light source. There are some palm trees and other props added in the background of this scene too, very out of focus. The figure is a custom G2F morph wearing Hongyu's Bikini for V6.
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    Very nice work, she reminds me of someone even the teeth .. very natural looking model .. the hair front line killing it a little bit as the rest is too good .. good job

pearbear said:
    Thanks for pointing out that new little HDRI included in the latest update. (mentioned by a few people in the previous thread) It's a great one. Here are a couple of renders using it as the only light source. There are some palm trees and other props added in the background of this scene too, very out of focus. The figure is a custom G2F morph wearing Hongyu's Bikini for V6.

Thank you! She reminds me of someone too, by accident. It wasn't my intention, but when I put the black hair on her she reminded me of Amy Winehouse.

I haven't mastered getting my displacement maps from Z-Brush to work perfectly without seams across the different UV map regions, but a quick use of the healing tool in Photoshop erased visible seams on the shoulders in the renders. I saw you post some advice recently about how to export displacement maps with matching scaling from Z-Brush, and made a mental note to study your displacement map export workflow to help me figure it out. I got some homework to do!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Coming soon, for Iray. ;)

Looking forward to the new products. :)
    edited December 1969

Yes she looks like her in the early days lol
    BTW it is not easy to work across the different scaling of the UV's as you getting lose of the details but in Iray you can sub d the displacement to get the trick done, when you export from Zbrush make sure you use bleeds at last 2 so the seams are smooth , I did not had much problems with that , beside I will give you a tip, when you finish sculpting genesis and exporting maps just send her to DS via GOZ, it will export the right settings with the displacement maps .. and you find it under the surface tab so you are sure they render exactly on the level , adding level 2 sub d for the displacement in Iray will help a lot .
    I love the last version of Zbrush 4R7 as I can sculpt on higher level than before and export everything at once using the Map exporter plugin .

pearbear said:
    MEC4D said:

pearbear said:

Thank you! She reminds me of someone too, by accident. It wasn't my intention, but when I put the black hair on her she reminded me of Amy Winehouse.

I haven't mastered getting my displacement maps from Z-Brush to work perfectly without seams across the different UV map regions, but a quick use of the healing tool in Photoshop erased visible seams on the shoulders in the renders. I saw you post some advice recently about how to export displacement maps with matching scaling from Z-Brush, and made a mental note to study your displacement map export workflow to help me figure it out. I got some homework to do!

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited December 1969

Does someone have any tips regarding the eyes? The skin comes out okay, but the eyes always look "flat" for better term when I render with IRAY. If it's been covered before, grateful if someone can point me to that direction. thanks!

edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    BTW it is not easy to work across the different scaling of the UV's as you getting lose of the details but in Iray you can sub d the displacement to get the trick done, when you export from Zbrush make sure you use bleeds at last 2 so the seams are smooth , I did not had much problems with that , beside I will give you a tip, when you finish sculpting genesis and exporting maps just send her to DS via GOZ, it will export the right settings with the displacement maps .. and you find it under the surface tab so you are sure they render exactly on the level , adding level 2 sub d for the displacement in Iray will help a lot .
    I love the last version of Zbrush 4R7 as I can sculpt on higher level than before and export everything at once using the Map exporter plugin .

pearbear said:
    MEC4D said:

pearbear said:

Thank you for the tips!

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

pearbear said:

This is probably the first time where I think that this is a very realistic looking shot on this forum. Theres been a couple really good ones over the years but usually they always lack something, either in terms of quality or in terms of not getting rid of that generic look. But I believe you achieved an incredible result here. Even the polyplane hair looks pretty good. Very very well done!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

ThatGuy said:
    Does someone have any tips regarding the eyes? The skin comes out okay, but the eyes always look "flat" for better term when I render with IRAY. If it's been covered before, grateful if someone can point me to that direction. thanks!

The last couple of pages or so in the previous thread (Show Us Your Iray Renders Part II) had a lot of info on eyes.

But one of the biggest helps is to use a Bulge morph on the Cornea. There's at least one in one of the basic G2 morph sets and I'll be putting up a free set of eye morphs in a few days (it's nice weather, frost looks like it's finished, no rain in the forecast for the next few days, so I'm spending large parts of the day working in the garden...and am too tired to do much work that requires concentration afterwards...just want to kick back with a tall cool adult beverage and veg out...).

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    ThatGuy said:

The last couple of pages or so in the previous thread (Show Us Your Iray Renders Part II) had a lot of info on eyes.

Thanks very much for your quickie reply.

edited December 1969

heinz0r said:
    pearbear said:

This is probably the first time where I think that this is a very realistic looking shot on this forum. Theres been a couple really good ones over the years but usually they always lack something, either in terms of quality or in terms of not getting rid of that generic look. But I believe you achieved an incredible result here. Even the polyplane hair looks pretty good. Very very well done!

Thanks a lot! That's very high praise I probably don't deserve! The main thing for me about getting away from the generic look is in the geometry of the model, getting away from the default tooniness. G2F's default head is quite a bit more realistically proportioned than V6 head, so that's a good start. The eye's are still a bit too large, so dialing them and the irises smaller is one of the first things I always do. Also, the legs are much longer than just about any human woman's, so I dial their length down quite a bit. I'm into realism so I like bringing a 3D scan of a real person into DAZ and looking at it next to what I'm working on to see how a real scanned person differs from the G2 models, and tweak and sculpt the G2 model in DAZ and Z-Brush to get closer to reality.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:

pearbear said:
    MEC4D said:

pearbear said:

...wish I could afford it (Zbrush). Maybe if I hit tonight's Megabucks lotto.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

wait... what.. .oh cool I have more IRAY materials to play with now.... woo hoo...

um.. ok BBIAB or maybe quite a bit.. make that a day or so..

later?

edited May 2015

no textures for skin, playing with displacement maps , hair and clothing made in Zbrush
    Time lapse here : https://plus.google.com/+Mec4D/posts/7XbHeJhAmLW

doré-iray-2015.jpg
    763 x 1080 - 533K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    no textures for skin, playing with displacement maps , hair and clothing made in Zbrush
    Time lapse here : https://plus.google.com/+Mec4D/posts/7XbHeJhAmLW

Great work! A very, very bad hair day. :)
    edited December 1969

I've been debating how to pull off opalescence in Iray... wasn't too hard!

Basic still life, caustic filter on.

Opalescent_ball.jpg
    2000 x 960 - 1M
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I've been debating how to pull off opalescence in Iray... wasn't too hard!

Basic still life, caustic filter on.

Pretty! Does the caustic filter not double render time in this version? I haven't tested it yet.

edited December 1969

I didn't really notice, though I didn't test it extensively -- it's a pretty basic scene, so render time was short.

edited December 1969

Mayuree. The included little Environment map, rotated.

Mayuree.jpg
    1250 x 1500 - 305K
    edited December 1969

I'm testing caustic vs. noncaustic right now.

Anyway, I think I got a good version of opalescent glass. But another material I'd like to render is true opal, like: http://tinyurl.com/pgk698q

I'm thinking some sort of metal flake effect might work. Hmm.

(I can fake it with an appropriate opal-looking map, but I'd rather generate it realistically)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I'm testing caustic vs. noncaustic right now.

Anyway, I think I got a good version of opalescent glass. But another material I'd like to render is true opal, like: http://tinyurl.com/pgk698q

I'm thinking some sort of metal flake effect might work. Hmm.

(I can fake it with an appropriate opal-looking map, but I'd rather generate it realistically)

I did a quick test on a human figure (since Mec4D has been recommending caustic on for eyes). It was 31 vs. 25 seconds. That's about a 20% increase in render time. Probably acceptable for scenes where there's a closeup on caustic items, I don't know if I'd want it for renders that take longer and don't have such closeups.

• justforflirt70justforflirt70 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

@ pearbear: Wow, your render looks amazing ! It's so so photorealistic ! Everithing is right: the HDRi lighting, the blurred background, the character pose, the character skin shader, but what really stand out and contribute decisively at that life-like appearance are the character custom morphs and facial expression !

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

pearbear said:
    heinz0r said:
    pearbear said:

Thanks a lot! That's very high praise I probably don't deserve! The main thing for me about getting away from the generic look is in the geometry of the model, getting away from the default tooniness. G2F's default head is quite a bit more realistically proportioned than V6 head, so that's a good start. The eye's are still a bit too large, so dialing them and the irises smaller is one of the first things I always do. Also, the legs are much longer than just about any human woman's, so I dial their length down quite a bit. I'm into realism so I like bringing a 3D scan of a real person into DAZ and looking at it next to what I'm working on to see how a real scanned person differs from the G2 models, and tweak and sculpt the G2 model in DAZ and Z-Brush to get closer to reality.

Good and clever approach. To me the shoulders and hip look the most realistic, and the face especially has a non generic look due to the rather big mouth and upper lip. Its just something that you usually dont see in all these idolized faces and body morphs on the daz figures.

Just one question that remains : How well do your sculpt adjustments work with the figure posed in a different way, with more bending happening? Since theres quite some changes around the shoulders, how well does it look when you move the arms alot? Or did you specifically sculpt those things for that pose?

edited December 1969

Sickle: A lot of the cool ideas for skins and eyes and such are utterly unimportant for 99% of what I do... but I try to pay attention for the rare times I have closeups. ;)

Caustics are one of those things I'll save when I want cool stained glass or something else highly 'light through glass' based, because testing the aforementioned ball... well, here's 'with caustic, without caustic.'
    Caustic makes it more vibrant and bright, but there's still SOME effect even without it.

What's really weird is that this render took 11 minutes with Caustic on... and without Caustic took almost 16. Um.

Opalescent_ballwoc.jpg
    2000 x 960 - 1M
    Opalescent_ball.jpg
    2000 x 960 - 1M
This discussion has been closed.