Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part III

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889
    edited December 1969

Oh? Interesting, I'll have to try that. I had overlooked weighted before and just assumed fresnel would be more realistic.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754
    edited December 1969

Oh? Interesting, I'll have to try that. I had overlooked weighted before and just assumed fresnel would be more realistic.

It was just from me poking around with things, not from any serious knowledge, I still have a way to go in figuring out these shaders.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Yeah, but the base color maps under Translucent channel ? I wanna shot myself here .. good for a candle

tjohn said:
    Rareth said:
    Iray is definitely rendering faster now, and the defaults don't need as much tweaking

with included HDRI

A: Iray Optimized Skin settings with changes made according to notes and observations from this forum
    B: Iray Optimized Skin settings Defaults

Someone at DAZ must have been taking notes, :lol:
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Interesting Top Coat weighted, vs Top Coat Fesnel

newbuildtest3.jpg
    521 x 844 - 83K
    newbuildtest4.jpg
    521 x 844 - 85K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    Yeah, but the base color maps under Translucent channel ? I wanna shot myself here .. good for a candle

tjohn said:
    Rareth said:
    Iray is definitely rendering faster now, and the defaults don't need as much tweaking

with included HDRI

A: Iray Optimized Skin settings with changes made according to notes and observations from this forum

I still used Translucent color as all red like you suggested, the default color is more pinkish..

edited December 1969

Talking about G2F base setting not yours ;)

Rareth said:
    MEC4D said:

tjohn said:
    Rareth said:

with included HDRI

I still used Translucent color as all red like you suggested, the default color is more pinkish..

edited December 1969

I switched to Top Coat weighted the other day when working on my surface materials , it give you better control over the top coated surface , no matter oil on human skin or painted wood .. did not checked how the fall off looks like on the human

Rareth said:

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    I switched to Top Coat weighted the other day when working on my surface materials , it give you better control over the top coated surface , no matter oil on human skin or painted wood .. did not checked how the fall off looks like on the human

Rareth said:

Weighted has no fall off other than the weight you give it, it is independent of the view angle. Fresnel/Reflectivity set to the correct ior/reflectivity gives you the physically correct fall off based on viewing angle. Custom curve can be physically correct or it can cheat, it gives you control over the fall off curve.

edited December 1969

Thanks, so I guess it will be not used for what I need ;) Fresnel/Reflectivity stay as it was as I want the physically correct fall off based on viewing angle what is so important .. I liked the frontal effect on weighted but that is ... did not had time to explore the Custom curve yet

MEC4D said:

Rareth said:

Weighted has no fall off other than the weight you give it, it is independent of the view angle. Fresnel/Reflectivity set to the correct ior/reflectivity gives you the physically correct fall off based on viewing angle. Custom curve can be physically correct or it can cheat, it gives you control over the fall off curve.

edited May 2015

I was testing stuff out with PBR material values and albedo and normal maps I prepared ..
    here some work on wood
    Pay attention that Specular/Glossiness base mixer will have different PBR values than the other shader base mixers like Metallicity/Roughness
    All old product textures are closer to Specular/Glossiness shade base mixer values than Metallicity/Roughness

albedo_wood_no_normals.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 946K
    albedo_wood.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 1M
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

Several people have asked about working with eyes and I've seen various advice so I'd thought I do a quick example and see how it turns out.

To try this out I decide to go find a reference eye to check against. A simple image search yielded several. I decided to compare against this photo of an eye. I knew I wouldn't be able to match it exactly but I wanted to see real reflections on a real eye. I also referred to these diagrams to make sure I had the right anatomical concepts.

The attached image is what I came up with. I did not do anything with skin, lashes, lacrimals, etc, they are just the standard conversion. I was focused on the direct eye materials only. I used the Genesis 2 Female with it default loads and converts except as noted below.

Here was my approach:

Tear/Eye Surface : Apply "Glass - Thin.duf" and change the index of refraction to 1.336 to match tears.

Sclera : Changed the base color texture from the default to number 5 from Awesome Eyes cause I liked the way they looked. I then turned the base color down to .74,.74,.74 because the texture was a bit too bright. I then reverted all other settings to their defaults except Glossy Roughness which I set at 0.25. This was the roughness I arrived at through empirical observation so it may depend on eye set up. I increased the bump to 1.0.

Irises : Setup just like the Scelera except the base color was standard white (1.0,1.0,1.0) and glossy roughness was set to 0.5.

Puplis: Puplis where setup like Sclera/Irises except the glossy layer was shut off by setting "Glossy Layered Weight" to 0. I did this because the Genesis 2 pupils are not physically modeled. So I need them to act like a hole even though it is not. The map sets them black for me, but I don't want them to reflect so I removed the glossy reflection as noted above.

Cornea: The Cornea turned out to be the most complicated to set up as it ends up doing multiple jobs at once. I first applied "Glass - Thin.duf" and changed the index of refraction to 1.3360 to simulate the "aqueous humour". I then turned the "Top Coat Weight" to 1.0 and turned the "Top Coat Layering Mode" to Frensel with a "Top Coar IOR" set to 1.376 to model the surface of the cornea. This was giving me good results but I found the line between Irises and Sclera too pronounced. This turns out to be an old issue with the Genesis 2 models and luckily many of the major DAZ Characters come with maps to address it. This map is found in "[Content Directory]/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis2/Victoria6V6AnnaEyeTr.jpg" for Victoria6. For 3Delight these maps go in the opacity channel but working from a tip I received at the DAZ office I instead put it in the "Refraction Weight" channel, then opened the "Image Editor..." and set "Invert" to On. If you don't want to use the "Image Editor.." method you can also invert the map in your favorite image editing program. I also added this map to the "Top Coat Weight" and again used the "Image Editor..." option to invert it. To finish the blend I then added the same "Base Color" map that I used on the other surfaces to the cornea. Finally I changed the "Glossy Reflectivity" to 0.4.

To finish the image I added the an hdri from HDRI Archives called "Old Industrial Hall" because it had dominate windows in it. Then adjusted tone mapping to match the hdri.

EyeTest.png
    640 x 512 - 452K
    edited December 1969

Hmm. When I try that, cjones, if I use inverted map in Refraction, the cornea is opaque white. Do you mean to keep it regular in refraction, inverted for top weight?

And if so, I'm still getting the edge between iris and sclera.

edited May 2015

nice material setting but cornea looking flat .. not corneal bulge , a drop of water is volumetric , that why you run into problem, turn the thin wallet OFF to make it "volumetric" to simulate the “aqueous humour” so the light can bounce "inside" the eye and will be fantastic

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

If anybody is interested in closer look (atrocious pun) on CG eyes, Disney Research has worked on it.

edited December 1969

Experimenting with cjones' suggestions for cornea (also made cornea and tears volumes rather than thin)

I didn't use the image map, because it seemed to make things worse.

Luy_eye_closeup.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Several people have asked about working with eyes and I've seen various advice so I'd thought I do a quick example and see how it turns out.

To try this out I decide to go find a reference eye to check against. A simple image search yielded several. I decided to compare against this photo of an eye. I knew I wouldn't be able to match it exactly but I wanted to see real reflections on a real eye. I also referred to these diagrams to make sure I had the right anatomical concepts.

The attached image is what I came up with. I did not do anything with skin, lashes, lacrimals, etc, they are just the standard conversion. I was focused on the direct eye materials only. I used the Genesis 2 Female with it default loads and converts except as noted below.

Here was my approach:

Tear/Eye Surface : Apply "Glass - Thin.duf" and change the index of refraction to 1.336 to match tears.

Sclera : Changed the base color texture from the default to number 5 from Awesome Eyes cause I liked the way they looked. I then turned the base color down to .74,.74,.74 because the texture was a bit too bright. I then reverted all other settings to their defaults except Glossy Roughness which I set at 0.25. This was the roughness I arrived at through empirical observation so it may depend on eye set up. I increased the bump to 1.0.

Irises : Setup just like the Scelera except the base color was standard white (1.0,1.0,1.0) and glossy roughness was set to 0.5.

Puplis: Puplis where setup like Sclera/Irises except the glossy layer was shut off by setting "Glossy Layered Weight" to 0. I did this because the Genesis 2 pupils are not physically modeled. So I need them to act like a hole even though it is not. The map sets them black for me, but I don't want them to reflect so I removed the glossy reflection as noted above.

Cornea: The Cornea turned out to be the most complicated to set up as it ends up doing multiple jobs at once. I first applied "Glass - Thin.duf" and changed the index of refraction to 1.3360 to simulate the "aqueous humour". I then turned the "Top Coat Weight" to 1.0 and turned the "Top Coat Layering Mode" to Frensel with a "Top Coar IOR" set to 1.376 to model the surface of the cornea. This was giving me good results but I found the line between Irises and Sclera too pronounced. This turns out to be an old issue with the Genesis 2 models and luckily many of the major DAZ Characters come with maps to address it. This map is found in "[Content Directory]/Runtime/Textures/DAZ/Characters/Genesis2/Victoria6V6AnnaEyeTr.jpg" for Victoria6. For 3Delight these maps go in the opacity channel but working from a tip I received at the DAZ office I instead put it in the "Refraction Weight" channel, then opened the "Image Editor..." and set "Invert" to On. If you don't want to use the "Image Editor.." method you can also invert the map in your favorite image editing program. I also added this map to the "Top Coat Weight" and again used the "Image Editor..." option to invert it. To finish the blend I then added the same "Base Color" map that I used on the other surfaces to the cornea. Finally I changed the "Glossy Reflectivity" to 0.4.

To finish the image I added the an hdri from HDRI Archives called "Old Industrial Hall" because it had dominate windows in it. Then adjusted tone mapping to match the hdri.

Wow, that's gorgeous!

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

Dumor3D said:
    quick test using some of UrbanSprawl3 ,ignore the cars tires sitting beneath the ground :\..rendered at 4k..outdoor renders like this seem to go much faster than anything else I've tried in Iray..

Cheers
    Stefan

Nice work Stefan! And yes, Iray loves more light. It does slow down in shadowed areas. Although, in a lot of cases, the scene is 'good enough' way before the render finishes, as it seems the lighter areas are all finished. Back in the day when you used 'film', you generally had to go to a faster film like at least 400 speed and it left some grain all over. So some grain in the shadows to me, looks very much like real photography. The exception now is that better DSLRs now handle those dark areas with very little noise. i guess we are going to need an add noise filter for processing our digital images now. LOL!!!

I literally did add a noise filter on an iray-rendered digital image a few weeks ago, I was on total auto-pilot not thinking about what I was doing.

It was a true face-palm moment, although I have to say the noise filter on the image looked good.

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited May 2015

Alex L said:
    Thanks for the present! Very nice of you. What a difference a nice light makes, along with the right surface shading ;-)

Gen2 Female with the current default Iray mats & a customized mat

MEC4D said:
    Made for you HDRi map for face shots
    the scene is included also so just put the unzipped files in My Library folder and load the scene from the last Beta 0.44
    the scene is under : My Library\Light Presets\MEC4D\HDRI STUDIO
    you can change the Dome rotation , 45 degree is the front and 90 degree is the actual studio room with the light on the side .
    the base light shine at 9 o'clock with shadows
    The Draw Dome is set Off .. When you set it On you will get kind of scene set
    The Finite Sphere with ground is scaled to match the HDRI maps and light power
    you can add extra ISO under tone mapping for more light power no more than 200 ISO
    and change the white point for more cooler or warmer light

Files (893 KB total)
    MEC4D_HDRI_STUDIO_LIGHT.zip
    Will be deleted on
    15 May, 2015
    Download link
    http://we.tl/78QcRSkXGs

Four images removed by a mod

AlexL, I hope you dont mind me asking, for the animation on your YouTube video, what are your system specs?

I want to use Iray for animations but I haven't been able to get manageable render times. I could live with 10 minutes per frame but I will need to upgrade to a new system soon.

Post edited by NoName99 on
  • ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Well, using all the tips and tricks I found in this thread and in the hair thread I came up with this image.

I am still not satisfied. The hair doesn't look good and for a reason I yet don't understand his face has the right gloss but not his neck. Both have the same settings though. I blurred hair and neck so this wouldn't be too obvious.

Dan_v2b2.png
    540 x 875 - 785K
    edited December 1969

Playing around with skins and four arms...

The full figure is here: http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Fourarmed-Beauty1-532072460
    (It's almost nude, so I figured it'd be better as a link)

Fourarmed_Beauty2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • JackFosterJackFoster Posts: 143
    edited December 1969

Erdehel said:
    Well, using all the tips and tricks I found in this thread and in the hair thread I came up with this image.

I am still not satisfied. The hair doesn't look good and for a reason I yet don't understand his face has the right gloss but not his neck. Both have the same settings though. I blurred hair and neck so this wouldn't be too obvious.

It could be a case of the specular maps not matching up well. I stopped using specular maps altogether because of this. It does look good regardless, though.

edited May 2015

Playing with "My" Eye lol
    SSS on sclera and iris
    Iris surface modeled in Zbrush it is 8K displacement map extracted from 14 million poly

EYERAY_2015.jpg
    1041 x 1080 - 554K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

I'm finding most reflection in the eye way too bright and have found glossy weight .3 to .5 works better.

edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    nice material setting but cornea looking flat .. not corneal bulge , a drop of water is volumetric , that why you run into problem, turn the thin wallet OFF to make it "volumetric" to simulate the “aqueous humour” so the light can bounce "inside" the eye and will be fantastic

Applying the volume does give it extra "pop" but at the cost of over twice the number of samples to converge. So it probably just depends how long the artist wishes to wait and how dominate the eye is in the scene.

For side by side I'll post the original versus the volume:

EyeTestWithVolume.png
    640 x 512 - 441K
    EyeTest.png
    640 x 512 - 452K
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    SSS on sclera and iris
    Iris surface modeled in Zbrush it is 8K displacement map extracted from 14 million poly

Good looking eye.

edited December 1969

Hmm. When I try that, cjones, if I use inverted map in Refraction, the cornea is opaque white. Do you mean to keep it regular in refraction, inverted for top weight?

And if so, I'm still getting the edge between iris and sclera.

Should be inverted in both. This is what my refraction weight looked like:

RefractionWeight.jpg
    1915 x 1043 - 318K
    edited December 1969

Are you sure that inverted? Image editor seems not to handle it properly... ?

I used LIE to invert.

• AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Hmm "eye" see what you're doing there ;-) Looking very good! (shall I go for the pun trifecta? LOL)

MEC4D said:
    SSS on sclera and iris
    EYERAY_2015.jpg
    1041 x 1080 - 554K
    edited December 1969

I am using refraction reflection not glossy weight

I'm finding most reflection in the eye way too bright and have found glossy weight .3 to .5 works better.
    edited December 1969

The thing about genesis eye is that the Eyes-reflection is on top of the Cornea so you can shut down cornea or you can shut down eye reflection as I do and have just one layer for easy cake . ;)

MEC4D said:

Applying the volume does give it extra "pop" but at the cost of over twice the number of samples to converge. So it probably just depends how long the artist wishes to wait and how dominate the eye is in the scene.

For side by side I'll post the original versus the volume:

This discussion has been closed.