CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK II

Comments

• Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

Motorcycle man. (I don't own a motorcycle model yet, so I had to photoshop one in).

BIKER_MAN_(FINAL).jpg.jpg
    1315 x 817 - 2M
  • GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

There are motorcycles available out there, some for free from both Rendo and Sharecg.

I have been looking at the Model T's from Meshbox, I would like to purchase one, but don't know how well they would work in DAZ Studio, or if they are even rigged, anyone got experience with vehicles from Meshbox?

A20V2V102-0.jpg
    800 x 800 - 143K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited August 2012

I have their 50s series They open in Studio after you tell it where the object is here are renders of the 50 Fleetline with the snow made invisible There is no undercarriage the wheels can be turned side to side and doors,hood and trunk opened and closed it's basically a set of props parented together and saved as a figure Materials need work renders are 3delight

Meshbox50Belair2.jpg
    1590 x 888 - 474K
    Meshbox50Belair1.jpg
    1590 x 888 - 436K
    Post edited by Robert Freise on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Robert, I had just noticed the Model T's the other day, I'm a real fan of the Model T Ford, and never could find any really decent meshes of the 1917 to 1925 models, since those are visually different from the older Brass T's, I know there are plenty of brass t's out there, but I was wanting the later models, and there just weren't any, not even at the 3D Warehouse.

So I guess I'll spend $10 and see how well it works, is it anything like the Nationale7 models, that require to reparent all the moving props in DS?

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Thanks Robert, I had just noticed the Model T's the other day, I'm a real fan of the Model T Ford, and never could find any really decent meshes of the 1917 to 1925 models, since those are visually different from the older Brass T's, I know there are plenty of brass t's out there, but I was wanting the later models, and there just weren't any, not even at the 3D Warehouse.

So I guess I'll spend $10 and see how well it works, is it anything like the Nationale7 models, that require to reparent all the moving props in DS?

Not on the 50s series everything is parented and loads from a cr2 file

edited December 1969

Then it probably will be so with the 1920's series as well, I did go ahead and order the 24 T Roadster, it looks really good and mostly accurate, with whatever isn't accurate, I can either fix it or overlook it, got to wait to download it I guess!

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

Motorcycle man. (I don't own a motorcycle model yet, so I had to photoshop one in).

Very Realistic looking. Nice work.

:-)

edited December 1969

You have some nice renders there Ivy! Cars are fun to render.

edited December 1969

Well, where have you been? Nice to have ya back, now the thread moves up like it should again I noticed, heres one for ya.

Locked Out!

Lillith “Okay, this is my story, I was driving along, I needed to go really bad, so I pull off the beaten path, I live in the city, so I don’t get out here to the country very often, so without thinking, I rolled up the windows, locked the car, went and did my business, and when I came back, my keys are still in the ignition, not in my purse, I swear, and I’ll bet it will be invented by a woman, one of these days, there will be miniture telephones that will fit in our purses, you would think that here in the late 1950’s, we would have such a device, but alas, here I am in the middle of nowhere, stuck without a way into my car!”

locked_out003.jpg
    800 x 600 - 115K
    locked_out001.jpg
    800 x 372 - 79K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

It's OK Betsy, this guy will be able to break into the car in a few seconds.

Bloke-on-Bike.jpg
    615 x 615 - 228K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited August 2012

music2u4u said:
    You have some nice renders there Ivy! Cars are fun to render.

Thank you for the compliment :) Yes they as much fun to render as they are to drive :)

here is one of me and my car i actually own 3000GT VR4
    you can see the actual car in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk2CBtCFE-E
    This is the animated version of the pictures ablow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRR7EA3oab8

Ivys_300tgt3.jpeg
    1286 x 965 - 220K
    Ivys_300tgt2.jpeg
    1286 x 965 - 188K
    Ivys_300tg1.jpeg
    1286 x 965 - 243K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

1924 Ford Model T Roadster (also called a Runabout)

My infatuation with the Model T Ford started as a boy, my father, who was very much into collecting and restoring old cars, (remember, this was the 1960's and 1970's), he especially had a love for the Model T Ford, which isn't unusual, even today, so it was well ingrained in me to also have a certain effection for this particular car.

My dad owned a 1925 Ford Coupe, thats right, the one that looks like a telephone booth on wheels, for all the room inside the car, it felt like you were in a telephone booth too, however, the car was a lot of fun to drive, (I was going on 16 at the time, so I did do some of my driver training in that car), we were members of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Model T Ford Club of America, so we were always running with tours and parades throughout the summer months.

I do have a lot of great memories of that car, that being said, a little different history is due here.

The Model T Ford was produced between 1909 and 1927, over the years, the car at its very base level remained very much unchanged, although things like electric starter, generator and other items were added and eventually became standard equipment, other changes to the car also took effect throughout Model T production.

From 1909 to 1917, the car came with a real nice looking brass radiator, and the earlier cars had brass headlights, later models had electric lights and different bezels, but the earliest models sported a lot of brass, the earliest T's also had a variety of colors that the car could be ordered in, in 1917, Henry made his famous quote, "(the public can have any color they want, so long as it is black)," from 1917 through 1925, the only color the car came off of the assembly line with was black.

In 1909, when production first started, producing a single car would take about 48 hours, Henry hadn't had his "better idea" yet as to the moving assembly line, however, within a year after Model T production started, he did, and it worked, and the rest as they say is, "HISTORY"!

The Model

While looking over a nice model that was pictured in a forum, it was a model of a Harley Davidson motorcycle, one in which was posted in a picture on the forum, the artist had stated that they had gotten it from Meshbox, a website that specializes in 3D models, it had been awhile since I had visited the site, but was somewhat familiar with it, when I clicked on the link provided in another post, I was suddenly staring at some really nice looking 1920's models of American automobiles, including the Model T Roadster, which is the subject of this writing.

I went ahead and purchased the 1924 Model T Runabout, (roadster), about 24 hours after placing my order, I then had the download information in my inbox, the way Meshbox works is you place an order, (ie. you pay for the item, but the download isn't instant.), when I downloaded the models, the zip file, which is always .rar file, only opens with a password for these particular models.

When I opened the file, since I'm running DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro, I simply dragged and dropped the runtime folder from the zip folder into the My Library folder in the DS folder, it worked at getting it into DAZ Studio.

Problems from the start, I guess, what really happened was that when I tried to load the model in DS, it freezes while importing the .cr2 file, freezes right at 99%, so nothing was happening, so since I've got DS and Poser7 tied together, I simp loaded the model in Poser, and then I again added the loaded model to My Library, this made a new icon which also appears in DS, and allows me to open the model in DS.

Once I had it loaded in DS, the model definitely needs some paint work, the model comes with white tires, while this was a common practice during early automobile production, since natural rubber is white, it only stands to reason that those sexy looking white tires, would look great on an old flivver, however, by the mid 1920s, and even earlier than 1920, tires were being made black, only high end tires had white sidewalls.

So using the surfaces tab, I highlited the one wheel, opened the appropriate surface, and set my values and 56-56-56, this gives a nice flatblack color for the tire, created materials preset, saved the file and went on, next the body paint, I used DZFires car shaders for the Deep Black paint for all body panels, this gave the car its nice shiny black appearence.

For the top, I use a leather shader from the Ultimate Shader Pack, and the car was done and ready for rendering.

You do the stearing by highlighting each front wheel, utilizing the left/right dial, the doors work the same way, am still trying to figure out the hood.

Stuff that makes me glare a little bit, there is no Ford script at the top front of the radiator shell, this detail may have been omitted for legal reasons, so won't go into much detail here, however, one could always put something there that looks like a Ford script without it actually saying "Ford", but I digress!

On the open cars from Ford of that era, none, and I do mean NONE! Of the cars had an opening door at the drivers side, while touring cars had an opening rear door for passengers to enter the back seat on the left side, the drivers door was just an outline, it really didn't exist, however, on closed cars such as coupes and sedands, there was a drivers door.

Another omission was a top boot in that can be placed if one wants the top down, the top was not a removable item, and on both roadsters and touring cars, it did fold down, so a folded top should have been included as a prop.

Other than those few things, the model is a well detailed, and for the most part, accurate model, and well worth the $9.95 she costs from Meshbox.

Model_T_11.jpg
    800 x 477 - 138K
    edited December 1969

Sue finally got to take posession of her grandmothers Model T!

Model_T_22.jpg
    800 x 477 - 101K
    edited December 1969

Looks pretty good

edited December 1969

Thanks Robert, it is a good clean straight forward mesh, it is well detailed, except for the things that were omitted, which is a sin in my estimation, however, considering that the price isn't too high, (look at some of the stuff over at Turbosquid for instance)!

edited December 1969

Out of the Box

Heres how she looks if rendered straight out of the box, as I said earlier, the tires come as white rubber, while it was certainly possible even as late as 1924 to buy white rubber tires, it just wasn't what was being provided, tires like everything else on a car get dirty, and on white rubber tires, I would imagine it would show up, so manufacturers didn't typically make their tires white, although the more expensive cars line Lincoln and Caddilac did have whitewall tires.

The actually loads with P.D. on the sides, that is obviously removable via deleting it, as it is just a separate mesh, however, here is what she looks like out of the box, not bad really, even though the textures are designed for Poser, this was loaded into DS4.5 Pro.

out_of_the_box1.jpg
    800 x 478 - 26K
    out_of_the_box.jpg
    800 x 478 - 24K
    edited December 1969

And here are some screenshots of the 3DS version, a file that is included with the purchase of the Poser/DS version of the car, so I played a little bit with it in Blender.

One other glaring un-reality I found, which is much more evident with the model appearing in gray, the rear fenders extend out the back way too far, while it is true that the back wheels were offset from the center forward on a stock Model T, the fenders did curve down behind the rear wheels at much more of an angle than what is presented here, however, this is one of the best Model T meshes I've yet seen, also with this 3DS file, I can do other things with this car, like make a speedster, (an early form of hotrod), or even make a cool 23 T Bucket hotrod out of it, this is going to be one cool car to play with!

ScreenShot005.jpg
    800 x 450 - 49K
    ScreenShot004.jpg
    800 x 450 - 53K
    ScreenShot003.jpg
    800 x 450 - 50K
    edited December 1969

And a few more out of Blender.

ScreenShot009.jpg
    800 x 450 - 49K
    ScreenShot008.jpg
    800 x 450 - 52K
    ScreenShot007.jpg
    800 x 450 - 51K
    ScreenShot006.jpg
    800 x 450 - 50K
    edited December 1969

And here are the last of this set.

ScreenShot012.jpg
    800 x 450 - 46K
    ScreenShot011.jpg
    800 x 450 - 48K
    ScreenShot010.jpg
    800 x 450 - 47K
    edited December 1969

A nice Sunday morning drive, Sun n Johnny out for some fun with Granny's old Flivver!

sunday_mornin_ride_in_grannys_flivver00.jpg
    800 x 477 - 128K
    edited December 1969

ermmm...who? The guy on the bike, or the guy in the avatar?...hehehe.

edited December 1969

Sorry I didn't see this one earlier, LOL, yeah, I would imagine he can!

edited December 1969

The 24 Ford T looks pretty stable. It reminds me of the "Flubber" car Fred McMurrey drove in the disney films. It could fly. Looks almost exact.

edited December 1969

As I had said earlier, I grew up with the Model T, my dad collected old cars, and the Model T's we had were among our favorites, we were also members of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Model T for Club of America, in the 1970's, much of my early driver training was done in a 1925 Ford Coupe, yes, they used a Model T Ford in the movie, The Absent Minded Professor, which was a great movie, (too bad they don't still make movies like that anymore)!

edited December 1969

Well, I know that DAZ has a nicer model of this car, but not priced at $1.99, again this one could have been made more accurate, not necessarily perfect, and certainly not an exact copy of the 57 AM model, but at least its better than the family car 1950.

sue_n_johnny_runnin_em001.jpg
    800 x 477 - 91K
    sue_gets_more_wheels001.jpg
    800 x 477 - 156K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

ermmm...who? The guy on the bike, or the guy in the avatar?...hehehe.

Lol!. No, the guy in the avatar is too busy abducting lumberjacks, mutilating cattle and making crop circles. :-)

edited August 2012

Betsy...How did you get the 57TBird to work in DS4? I bought it and installed the DS3 FILES, and the DS4 files (.trx). I got it to open fine in DS3, but the DS4 files are .duf extensions and My DS4 says it is an unknown format. It will not open them or even show them in the content. I had to go to the file location to find them. After the car threw my antivirus into a spin and kept deleting the .exe. files, I finally had to turn it off to get them downloaded. That suxed. It has been happening to all the files I buy here at Daz lately.

So...then I buy the "Rolling Thunder" textures by Moyra for the car. None of the MAT files (.pz2) will work in DS3. Click and nothing. They might work in DS4, but I can't get the car to load in DS4 because of the .duf file format it is in to see.

This has been the most screwed up set of files I have bought from Daz so far. I always have trouble downloading them with my antivirus' falses. I have to turn off my antivirus to get anything I buy now to download. That really sux. Daz should have went to the standard .zip or .rar files when they went through the changeover. Everyone knows that .exe files are soooo unsafe and way too much trouble for our antivirus systems. Bad move on Daz' part.

So...tell me how you got yours to work, and the texture files.

Here is a DS3 render with the default textures because I can't get the MAT files to work. They are just dead. Oh...and I changed the wheel color from blue (which didn't even match the car exactly, to white. It just looked more like a white wall than a rim.

:-/

57TBirdDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 136K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

I simply installed it into DS4.5, now mind you, you have to ask, which Tbird are you using, is this the Luxury Car 1950? Or the older Tbird that was done by Dudley?

I simply installed it, you also need to turn off your anti-virus when installing it too by the way, I know my Avast doesn't like the DAZ installers at all! LOL

beautiful_morning001.jpg
    800 x 477 - 158K
    edited December 1969

BTW, when I used the Rolling Thunder texture set, I usually end up changing some of the shaders, however, the Rolling Thunder does seem to work just fine!

edited August 2012
    Post edited by Robert Freise on
This discussion has been closed.