[Released] RSSY Clothing Converter from Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Use your Genesis 8 and 8.1 clothing with your Genesis 9 characters! Convert almost your entire wardrobe of clothes using the new Clothing Converter from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 9 or the Clothing Converter from Genesis 8 Male to Genesis 9 scripts! The Clothing Converter scripts provide batch execution for converting your Genesis 8 and 8.1 clothing to Genesis 9 clothing in your library. Easily select the wardrobe items in your library, select an output directory, and execute the script. Even better, icons and categories are copied from your original Genesis 8 clothing to the new Genesis 9 clothing items.

Your new Genesis 9 wardrobe is completely Smart Content aware! They will show up when you select a Genesis 9 figure. Plus, all materials shown in Smart Content for your Genesis 8 item will show for your converted Genesis 9 item. Converted clothing, instead of using Auto-Fit, produce vastly less distorted results.

The Clothing Converter script does not work with props (e.g., swords, wands, etc) and wearables (e.g., outfits). Items without metadata can be converted but will not show up in Smart Content. They may also need to be converted using a Force Convert Item(s) button. It may also not work as well with high-heeled shoes because of problems with positioning the feet without turning on the Use Foot Dialog option during conversion.

The script may not be able to convert all clothing items without issues. Converted items may exhibit poke-through. Usually, this can be fixed by adding a smoothing modifier.

Features

• Convert Genesis 8 and 8.1 Clothing items for use by Genesis 9 characters.
  • Convert Dresses, Pants, Shirts, Skirts, Shoes, etc. Converted clothing, instead of using Auto-Fit to fit clothing to Genesis 9, produce vastly less distorted results.
  • Convert Accessories* (e.g., Hats, Belts, etc)
  • Copies icons from Genesis 8 clothing to Genesis 9 clothing for a professional look
  • Copies Smart Content Products! Converted clothing will be organized into similar products as the original items, with multiple converted items in one converted product and even using the original product image.
  • Converted Clothing is Smart Content enabled! All materials shown in Smart Content for your Genesis 8 item will show for your converted Genesis 9 item.

Note: Converting accessories are limited because the bone structure is too different between Genesis 9 and Genesis 8. By default, only accessories with metadata for the head or hip are accepted as these bones have the same name between generations. You can try to convert other accessories. Many accessories do not use the bone structure and will load and convert correctly. However, for accessories that attempt to load onto a missing bone, the accessory will load in the wrong location. Daz Studio may also become unstable and crash the script when trying to SAVE the accessory.

Comments

• And it is released!

• And in my library already.

When trying to convert some very "nasty" G8 high-heels (with the best result I ever had on fitting these on G9), an idea crossed my mind.

Most "shoe" type wardrobe items come with a fitting pose. Would it be possible to use that pose as a "conversion helper"? The pose converted to G9 might not be perfect, but should provide a nice starting point for fine tuning. For some reason, I had to disable all conformers except the "Heels" (017) one, as the very first conformer has been assigned by the scriptr. In addition, the "Activate all" and "Deactivate all" buttons seem to be doing nothing.

On a Mac, the issue with the network drive not working is a real issue, as there is no work-around avilable like assigning a drive letter. Any drive is mounted in /Volumes, regardless if system drive, local USB drive or network path.

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 205
    edited January 2023

Just got this as well to automate the fairly convoluted manual process of conversion and in the quick play I've had so far there have been mixed results.

Conversion of collars and shoes is far, far better than anything I've managed exporting items as .objs and then tediously reimporting them, fitting, smoothing, exporting again etc. 

However, some clothing just won't play ball and it tends to be those that aren't, how can I put this, modelled with as much care as perhaps they should. Jackets still cause a headache with weird creases and tears in the mesh (I got this during my manual attempts as well) and trousers seem to produce a rather unfortunate result as well which I didn't get during a manual process without the script (see below)!

I've tried three suit sets through the converter leaving the conformers assigned automatically and in subsequent attempts manually assigning them to experiment. Neither approach produced anything that I would want to use. This isn't a sleight on the author of these outfits as they work perfectly on their intended platform but they are a bit shabbily put together behind the scenes and it shows when you want to do something like this with them.

I was also hoping that buttons added with a rigid follow node would remain attached but sadly not. Anything with custom bones is obviously going to be lost but I had high hopes for the rigid nodes. Alas.

One quick question - why is the path of the source items required to have 'clothing' as part of its directory structure? I'm guessing it's to stop people doing something daft but I have my own directory structure ordered by genre and the word 'clothing' does not appear in it. I have to use a workaround to get the converter to run so is it possible to make this optional? 

Anyway, it's more than worth the asking price for the automation of an otherwise extremely tedious workset and generally produces output that is superior to anything I could do manually. Shoes and areas around the neck are great, long and flowy things look way better using the script. If anyone's undecided about this, it's definitely worth getting if you plan on using G9 a lot in the future with your existing library.

Screenshot 2023-01-10 235601.jpg
    1478 x 780 - 169K
    Screenshot 2023-01-10 235631.jpg
    1437 x 988 - 195K
    Screenshot 2023-01-10 235724.jpg
    1434 x 898 - 228K
    Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I'm seeing a lot (all?) of the converted items are doubled in smart content. Is there something I'm missing or an easy fix?

• Mark_e593e0a5 said:

And in my library already.

When trying to convert some very "nasty" G8 high-heels (with the best result I ever had on fitting these on G9), an idea crossed my mind.

Most "shoe" type wardrobe items come with a fitting pose. Would it be possible to use that pose as a "conversion helper"? The pose converted to G9 might not be perfect, but should provide a nice starting point for fine tuning. For some reason, I had to disable all conformers except the "Heels" (017) one, as the very first conformer has been assigned by the scriptr. In addition, the "Activate all" and "Deactivate all" buttons seem to be doing nothing.

I found with the other CC that the pose did not work as well as the Pose Dialog.  Since it would have required conversion too, I decided to not have the use pose preset option for this CC.

I can confirm the Activate All and Deactivate All buttons were not working and will have the fix in the next update.

On a Mac, the issue with the network drive not working is a real issue, as there is no work-around avilable like assigning a drive letter. Any drive is mounted in /Volumes, regardless if system drive, local USB drive or network path.

• TimberWolf said:

Just got this as well to automate the fairly convoluted manual process of conversion and in the quick play I've had so far there have been mixed results.

Conversion of collars and shoes is far, far better than anything I've managed exporting items as .objs and then tediously reimporting them, fitting, smoothing, exporting again etc. 

However, some clothing just won't play ball and it tends to be those that aren't, how can I put this, modelled with as much care as perhaps they should. Jackets still cause a headache with weird creases and tears in the mesh (I got this during my manual attempts as well) and trousers seem to produce a rather unfortunate result as well which I didn't get during a manual process without the script (see below)!

I've tried three suit sets through the converter leaving the conformers assigned automatically and in subsequent attempts manually assigning them to experiment. Neither approach produced anything that I would want to use. This isn't a sleight on the author of these outfits as they work perfectly on their intended platform but they are a bit shabbily put together behind the scenes and it shows when you want to do something like this with them.

I was also hoping that buttons added with a rigid follow node would remain attached but sadly not. Anything with custom bones is obviously going to be lost but I had high hopes for the rigid nodes. Alas.

One quick question - why is the path of the source items required to have 'clothing' as part of its directory structure? I'm guessing it's to stop people doing something daft but I have my own directory structure ordered by genre and the word 'clothing' does not appear in it. I have to use a workaround to get the converter to run so is it possible to make this optional? 

The script uses "Clothing" or "Accessories" in the path to be able to copy the subpath for the clothing item no matter where it is in a directory hierarchy and what is the output directory, e.g., My DAZ 3D Library\People\Genesis 8 Female\Clothing\Lyoness\Cadmium becomes My Library\People\Genesis 9\Clothing\lyoness\cadmium

Anyway, it's more than worth the asking price for the automation of an otherwise extremely tedious workset and generally produces output that is superior to anything I could do manually. Shoes and areas around the neck are great, long and flowy things look way better using the script. If anyone's undecided about this, it's definitely worth getting if you plan on using G9 a lot in the future with your existing library.

Thank you for sharing your review smiley

• Oso3D said:

I'm seeing a lot (all?) of the converted items are doubled in smart content. Is there something I'm missing or an easy fix?

Ah, I can confirm this is happening.  I think the creating a new G9 version of the product duplicated the asset for some reason (if you notice, one asset is in LOCAL_USER product and the other is in the product copy).  I will investigate.

• Is uploading images broken in the forums?  For 2 days now, I have been unable to add the images for the product to the first post of the thread.  It just hangs on uploading.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

RiverSoftArt said:

Is uploading images broken in the forums?  For 2 days now, I have been unable to add the images for the product to the first post of the thread.  It just hangs on uploading.

You will spare yourself a lot of headaches by using a third-party image host like Imgur and linking images from there.  It works every time, and even with switching sites, it's faster. 

• This is my first conversion attempt for Minerva. What I got was the typical breast undercut that persisted even after simulation. I cranked up the smoothing to 30 and it would still not go away. Also the front waist of the jeans was pulled out really far for for some reason and didnt want to dial back easilly. What is not pictured, is that in the crotch region there is alot of polygon clumping and pulling going on. Also, when am I supposed to use the foot poser? Before the conversion?

Really excited that this dropped as it is the only clothing item I intended to purchase for gen9.

I took a picture, but it wont post. Ill update should daz decide to fix their website.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626

AnotherUserName said:

This is my first conversion attempt for Minerva. What I got was the typical breast undercut that persisted even after simulation. I cranked up the smoothing to 30 and it would still not go away. Also the front waist of the jeans was pulled out really far for for some reason and didnt want to dial back easilly. What is not pictured, is that in the crotch region there is alot of polygon clumping and pulling going on. Also, when am I supposed to use the foot poser? Before the conversion?

Really excited that this dropped as it is the only clothing item I intended to purchase for gen9.

I took a picture, but it wont post. Ill update should daz decide to fix their website.

Without a picture it's hard to tell what the problem is, especially since there seem to be two Minerva G8 clothing sets in the store and neither has jeans?

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-minerva-outfit-set-for-genesis-8-and-81-females

https://www.daz3d.com/goddess-minerva-outfit-for-genesis-8-female-s

If it isn't one of these two, can you link the outfit so I can try and replicate the issue?

P.S. Sorry for missing the other question! The foot poser is a box that you check in the settings when the script is up in front of you. It will activate at the right time on its own if the box is ticked.

• SickleYield said:

AnotherUserName said:

This is my first conversion attempt for Minerva. What I got was the typical breast undercut that persisted even after simulation. I cranked up the smoothing to 30 and it would still not go away. Also the front waist of the jeans was pulled out really far for for some reason and didnt want to dial back easilly. What is not pictured, is that in the crotch region there is alot of polygon clumping and pulling going on. Also, when am I supposed to use the foot poser? Before the conversion?

Without a picture it's hard to tell what the problem is, especially since there seem to be two Minerva G8 clothing sets in the store and neither has jeans?

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-minerva-outfit-set-for-genesis-8-and-81-females

https://www.daz3d.com/goddess-minerva-outfit-for-genesis-8-female-s

If it isn't one of these two, can you link the outfit so I can try and replicate the issue?

Hi SY, the picture upload function for the forums is still brocken.

The outfit I tried to convert is https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-crop-sweater-and-jeans-outfit-for-genesis-8-females .

• SickleYield said:

P.S. Sorry for missing the other question! The foot poser is a box that you check in the settings when the script is up in front of you. It will activate at the right time on its own if the box is ticked.

Cool, thanks.

edited January 2023

Okay, here's what I've got on that. I've shown the outfit on V9.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqpmxunwu8p0wa4/crop01.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5c7nc8n2ncxxqs4/crop02.jpg

Here's what will help.

1) change the conformer from Bodysuit Loose to Bodysuit on the pants. Bodysuit Loose creates a bigger gap between body and clothes to help looser clothes fit better.
    2) set the smoothing and collision on the crop top to 11 and 13 and the base to Generic.
    3) use the shoe dialogue, and then use the morphs included in the shoes afterward to fix clipping.

The shirt will still show the artifacting, that's not something I can fix when the cloth starts that far from the body on female stuff, but the artifacting goes away on simulation as you see here. I hope this helps! We've built in a lot of features to help you get the most out of every product!

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • SickleYield said:

Here's what will help.

1) change the conformer from Bodysuit Loose to Bodysuit on the pants. Bodysuit Loose creates a bigger gap between body and clothes to help looser clothes fit better.
    2) set the smoothing and collision on the crop top to 11 and 13 and the base to Generic.
    3) use the shoe dialogue, and then use the morphs included in the shoes afterward to fix clipping.

The shirt will still show the artifacting, that's not something I can fix when the cloth starts that far from the body on female stuff, but the artifacting goes away on simulation as you see here. I hope this helps! We've built in a lot of features to help you get the most out of every product!

Good deal! I still need to try the shoes, but I got much better results on the rest of the outfit. Turns out that it helps when you read the instructions.surprise Thanks SY!

SickleYield said:

Here's what will help.

Good deal! I still need to try the shoes, but I got much better results on the rest of the outfit. Turns out that it helps when you read the instructions.surprise Thanks SY!

You're very welcome. :)
  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 205
    edited January 2023

I've bashed my way through the best part of 100 outfits now which cover the earliest days of G8 through to some of the latest for G8.1. They include contemporary cocktail dresses, historical outfits, fantasy armor sets, sci-fi bodysuits, beachwear, flip-flops to complex high heels, business suits, capes, robes, cloaks, gowns, underwear; pretty much everything.

About 70% came out perfectly using the default settings and conforming templates picked by the script - zero intervention required. About 20% needed another attempt, overriding the script's default template choice and minor tweaks to smoothing and collision parameters. 5% needed considerable intervention including exporting the item to obj and reimporting/re-rigging before running it again. 5% just would not work at all and failed to convert without serious distortion to the mesh, effectively rendering them untransferable. I was also unable to convert these items manually due to what I consider to be issues with the way they were modelled.

That would have taken weeks, if not months, to do manually using the G9 dev tools and exporting/importing each individual clothing item. Your outfit has two socks? Guess what... you're doing that process twice. For socks! Make one mistake - forget to set the item to base resolution, forget to hide the G9 when you export, forget to check the scale, don't spot the smoothing you've applied has created a massive mess at the rear of a collar - you're doing it all again. The script doesn't make mistakes or get bored or tired.

You'll lose every button on a piece of dForce clothing that has them but you would in the manual process too. It's not too much effort to recreate a rigid follow node and add them again but I have to confess I was hoping RS and SY knew something I didn't and would be able to keep some of these intact! No matter. The time this product saves is huge and, whilst it doesn't do anything you couldn't eventually do yourself without it, you will at least have your sanity intact after using the script!

For me and my little team of games makers.... Worth. Every. Cent.

And now for a cheeky request....

Any chance the script could look to see if the G9 Ultra Templates are installed and offer them as an option for conversion, even if just as a manual override or keyword match that we enter ourselves? They can often produce better results than the ones in the script but they're currently only usable manually.

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • sjgarde_b28299fd86sjgarde_b28299fd86 Posts: 33
    edited January 2023

Found them in Smart Content....

How do I get materials for converted items to show up? I have G9 character selected. I select a content library G8 clothing item. I start the script and the G8 item is listed. I convert item. The converted item is in my output directory for G9 but no aditional materials show up.

Post edited by sjgarde_b28299fd86 on
  • TimberWolf said:

I've bashed my way through the best part of 100 outfits now which cover the earliest days of G8 through to some of the latest for G8.1. They include contemporary cocktail dresses, historical outfits, fantasy armor sets, sci-fi bodysuits, beachwear, flip-flops to complex high heels, business suits, capes, robes, cloaks, gowns, underwear; pretty much everything.

About 70% came out perfectly using the default settings and conforming templates picked by the script - zero intervention required. About 20% needed another attempt, overriding the script's default template choice and minor tweaks to smoothing and collision parameters. 5% needed considerable intervention including exporting the item to obj and reimporting/re-rigging before running it again. 5% just would not work at all and failed to convert without serious distortion to the mesh, effectively rendering them untransferable. I was also unable to convert these items manually due to what I consider to be issues with the way they were modelled.

That would have taken weeks, if not months, to do manually using the G9 dev tools and exporting/importing each individual clothing item. Your outfit has two socks? Guess what... you're doing that process twice. For socks! Make one mistake - forget to set the item to base resolution, forget to hide the G9 when you export, forget to check the scale, don't spot the smoothing you've applied has created a massive mess at the rear of a collar - you're doing it all again. The script doesn't make mistakes or get bored or tired.

You'll lose every button on a piece of dForce clothing that has them but you would in the manual process too. It's not too much effort to recreate a rigid follow node and add them again but I have to confess I was hoping RS and SY knew something I didn't and would be able to keep some of these intact! No matter. The time this product saves is huge and, whilst it doesn't do anything you couldn't eventually do yourself without it, you will at least have your sanity intact after using the script!

For me and my little team of games makers.... Worth. Every. Cent.

Thank you for the review.  I am sure it will help people.

And now for a cheeky request....

Any chance the script could look to see if the G9 Ultra Templates are installed and offer them as an option for conversion, even if just as a manual override or keyword match that we enter ourselves? They can often produce better results than the ones in the script but they're currently only usable manually.

I am not sure they will work.  You *could* try to put a copy of the .dufs in data/SickleYield2022/RSSYG8ToG9Converter/Conformers/  CC will see them when starting and offer them as an option.  Whether they will work or crash I can't tell you.

• sjgarde_b28299fd86 said:

Found them in Smart Content....

How do I get materials for converted items to show up? I have G9 character selected. I select a content library G8 clothing item. I start the script and the G8 item is listed. I convert item. The converted item is in my output directory for G9 but no aditional materials show up.

Select the converted clothing item after you put it on your G9 character, and then the materials will show up in Smart Content->Files

• RiverSoftArt said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

And in my library already.

I found with the other CC that the pose did not work as well as the Pose Dialog.  Since it would have required conversion too, I decided to not have the use pose preset option for this CC.

I can confirm the Activate All and Deactivate All buttons were not working and will have the fix in the next update.

@Oso3D, Ok, I have a fix for the duplicate presets.  I am going to wait another week to see if any other bugs crop up and then submit.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Whew, finished converting most of my library woo!

Any tips on distinguishing converted clothing in smart content?

• MunemanMuneman Posts: 218

Is there an easy way to remove all the duplicates from my library?

• Oso3D said:

Whew, finished converting most of my library woo!

Any tips on distinguishing converted clothing in smart content?

If you set the name prefix or suffix in the options, it can be easy to distinguish.  Otherwise, all the product names have "(Cv)" in them. 

• Muneman said:

Is there an easy way to remove all the duplicates from my library?

When the update comes out, if you convert again the script will delete the duplicate that is not in a product.  Converting again is MUCH faster as the slow part is the saving into the database.  Once there is an entry in there, DS seems to do a re-conversion really quick.

• MunemanMuneman Posts: 218
    Once the update is out, Is there an option to convert again that doesn't actually update the item? For instance, I spent some time doing some heels. I'd like to have the Metadata updated, but I don't want the converter to actually touch any data/morph files.
  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 458
    Is there a converter for hair coming out soon? :cross fingers:
  • Muneman said:

Once the update is out, Is there an option to convert again that doesn't actually update the item? For instance, I spent some time doing some heels. I'd like to have the Metadata updated, but I don't want the converter to actually touch any data/morph files.

Sorry, no, there is not.  You could copy the data files for the heels before converting and then paste them back after conversion

• Shimrian said:

Is there a converter for hair coming out soon? :cross fingers:

We have not started it, but it is on the list. smiley