[Released] RSSY Clothing Converter from Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2023

Rev said:

TimberWolf said:

I had to look that item of clothing up via Google and it appears to come from one of the sites where absolutely zero quality control or content validation is done. It also appears to be copyright infringing as well (not on your part) and there's a reason outfits like this are not accepted by stores that have a reputation to uphold. Caveat emptor.

The reason you had to force convert the items is simply that the creator of this outfit did not assign one of the usual content types to the clothing pieces when they were saved. The converter is not sure they are clothes and needs you to be absolutely certain you are not making a mistake - hence the force conversion option. It is working as intended.

You are getting grey blocks because Studio cannot locate the .dsf file assigned to the clothing. Have you actually tried this and got it working on a G8 figure? It's very hard to say what you've done but the files for that outfit do not appear to be in a content folder you've assigned in preferences.

My experience with this converter is it does a superb job on quality clothing - outfits that have been modelled with care and attention to detail. Those which have been created using shortcuts and workarounds tend not to fare so well. I wouldn't hold out much hope that this is one of those items that has been carefully crafted...

Yes I'm able to apply the outfit to a g8 character perfectly fine just loaded one up and tried after reading this. What do you mean but assigned in preferences?

Yes for the most part I've had good expereinces with this as well but theres the odd item of clothing that just won't convert even when trying to force convert. I just don't understand why none of the clothing items are working apart from the necklace, it can work just need to find the correct way.

Would doing it manually work? Even though I don't know how to do it manually xD

First, thank you very much @TimberWolf for helping out.

The props definitely won't convert.  For the gray boxes, do the unconverted items work from the NEW location?  Maybe moving it caused problems.  Also, I find that sometimes just converting again will help Daz find the items.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • Rev3DRev3D Posts: 67

RiverSoftArt said:

Rev said:

TimberWolf said:

I had to look that item of clothing up via Google and it appears to come from one of the sites where absolutely zero quality control or content validation is done. It also appears to be copyright infringing as well (not on your part) and there's a reason outfits like this are not accepted by stores that have a reputation to uphold. Caveat emptor.

The reason you had to force convert the items is simply that the creator of this outfit did not assign one of the usual content types to the clothing pieces when they were saved. The converter is not sure they are clothes and needs you to be absolutely certain you are not making a mistake - hence the force conversion option. It is working as intended.

You are getting grey blocks because Studio cannot locate the .dsf file assigned to the clothing. Have you actually tried this and got it working on a G8 figure? It's very hard to say what you've done but the files for that outfit do not appear to be in a content folder you've assigned in preferences.

My experience with this converter is it does a superb job on quality clothing - outfits that have been modelled with care and attention to detail. Those which have been created using shortcuts and workarounds tend not to fare so well. I wouldn't hold out much hope that this is one of those items that has been carefully crafted...

Yes I'm able to apply the outfit to a g8 character perfectly fine just loaded one up and tried after reading this. What do you mean but assigned in preferences?

Yes for the most part I've had good expereinces with this as well but theres the odd item of clothing that just won't convert even when trying to force convert. I just don't understand why none of the clothing items are working apart from the necklace, it can work just need to find the correct way.

Would doing it manually work? Even though I don't know how to do it manually xD

First, thank you very much @TimberWolf for helping out.

The props definitely won't convert.  For the gray boxes, do the unconverted items work from the NEW location?  Maybe moving it caused problems.  Also, I find that sometimes just converting again will help Daz find the items.

So I was able to get the items to convert by placing each item into it's own folder in the clothing directory. However, for some reason when I converted the L arm part it'd work fine then I'd go and convert the R arm which would then cause the L arm to go back to being grey blocks leaving just the R arm working. Next I'd try converting the body suit which would then make the R arm turn to grey blocks like the L arm and leave the body suit working fine. It's so weird how I'm able to convert them when in seperate folders but once converted successfully when I do another piece it makes the one before not usable. 

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 235

I have to say I'm at a loss as to what's happening with this one. Something is awry with this item of clothing and I suspect the source of it lies with how it was built. This will not happen with Daz store outfits (although a couple I have tried to convert turned out to be not quite as well made as I had hoped) but you've got a solution. Quite how you stumbled on that I'll never know - I wouldn't have thought to try it!

Under Edit -> Preferences you will find a Content tab. At the bottom of that page is a Content Directory Manager button. Click it. Expand Daz Studio formats in the subsequent pane and check that the data and runtime directories for that converted clothing are present there. I have a suspicion you're just overwriting files when using the converter but I may as well say it's caused by aliens - I can't conclusively pin it down and neither can RiverSoftArt.

It's your money, obviously, but I would be very, very wary of those sites that don't conduct some kind of validation or test of the products they list. I appreciate what you wanted isn't available here but it's rare for something in the Daz store and those places that do validation to be as utterly borked as this. Bet you can't return it either...

Anyway, round of applause for figuring it out. I've added that method to my head (it'll fall out some time soon, I'm sure) in case I encounter something similar.

• Rev3DRev3D Posts: 67

TimberWolf said:

I have to say I'm at a loss as to what's happening with this one. Something is awry with this item of clothing and I suspect the source of it lies with how it was built. This will not happen with Daz store outfits (although a couple I have tried to convert turned out to be not quite as well made as I had hoped) but you've got a solution. Quite how you stumbled on that I'll never know - I wouldn't have thought to try it!

Under Edit -> Preferences you will find a Content tab. At the bottom of that page is a Content Directory Manager button. Click it. Expand Daz Studio formats in the subsequent pane and check that the data and runtime directories for that converted clothing are present there. I have a suspicion you're just overwriting files when using the converter but I may as well say it's caused by aliens - I can't conclusively pin it down and neither can RiverSoftArt.

It's your money, obviously, but I would be very, very wary of those sites that don't conduct some kind of validation or test of the products they list. I appreciate what you wanted isn't available here but it's rare for something in the Daz store and those places that do validation to be as utterly borked as this. Bet you can't return it either...

Anyway, round of applause for figuring it out. I've added that method to my head (it'll fall out some time soon, I'm sure) in case I encounter something similar.

You and me both my friend, I didn't even know that these websites didn't to validations I thought renderhub was an okay site to use. How do I know which ones do validate and which ones don't?

The overwriting the files each time I convert would make sense as to why each item is turning into grey blocks after I convert another piece which I would have no idea how to fix. This is very annoying as I can only use one piece of the full outfit at a time it seems with this issue.

I appreciate the suggestions you've given me and hopefully I can figure out a way to get all the pieces working.

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 235
    edited August 2023

There are only two sites I know of that do technical testing of products submitted for Studio - here and Renderosity. Renderhub isn't some wretched hive of scum and villainy either but it is the home to people who make money by ripping assets out of games or using other peoples'/companies' IP and converting them to be Daz compatible. And then charging you for it. There are some genuinely good creators there who have their own reasons for moving to that platform but they're rubbing shoulders with the rip-off artists and the copyright infringers. There are also some very serious modellers on there who sell to tv and movie companies but the Daz content? It's not tested, it's not reviewed independently, you have no recourse if you buy something that's utter rubbish.

Renderhub is essentially a classified ads site for selling 3d models. Think of it similar to a site you'd browse to buy a used car. Be very, very careful; do your research, look at the reviews, judge if those reviews are genuine (many aren't) and then pull the trigger. They don't let you return items like Daz do. I wouldn't buy anything from there.

Your outfit doesn't conform to Daz standards. RSSY's converter pretty much depends on those standards being upheld. You've been sold something that's built to very low standards I'm afraid. Just have to shrug this one off I think.

I'm sure you can get it working but.... I have a sneaking suspicion you could have bought or modified something from the reputable stores to get close to what you want.

Post edited by TimberWolf on

Rev said:

TimberWolf said:

You and me both my friend, I didn't even know that these websites didn't to validations I thought renderhub was an okay site to use. How do I know which ones do validate and which ones don't?

The overwriting the files each time I convert would make sense as to why each item is turning into grey blocks after I convert another piece which I would have no idea how to fix. This is very annoying as I can only use one piece of the full outfit at a time it seems with this issue.

I appreciate the suggestions you've given me and hopefully I can figure out a way to get all the pieces working.

More than likely, it is overwriting the files in the My Library/data directory.  If you look at what the clothing .duf files refers to, you could see where they are located.  Try finding them, copying them somewhere safe, and converting.  By switching between the copies for the Left and Right, you can see if this is the problem.  If it is, you can just edit the clothing .duf file for one of them to point to a different location for the data files.

• perawindperawind Posts: 7
    edited September 2023

How long does it normally take to convert a product, seeing as how I'm getting about 10 minutes per item. Is this conversion process something I should just let run overnight if I have lots of products to convert? 

Edit: I did an overnight run of the script and it completed 19 items in 4 hours and 45 minutes. I'm not sure this is the normal speed it takes or if certain settings slow it down. 

2023091272.jpg
    1015 x 599 - 555K
    Post edited by perawind on
  • perawind said:

How long does it normally take to convert a product, seeing as how I'm getting about 10 minutes per item. Is this conversion process something I should just let run overnight if I have lots of products to convert? 

Edit: I did an overnight run of the script and it completed 19 items in 4 hours and 45 minutes. I'm not sure this is the normal speed it takes or if certain settings slow it down. 

The biggest slowdown is Daz Studio trying to save object in its database.  When your DS database is large, the save operation takes a long time.  If you reconvert those 19 items (without deleting them), it would probably take 19-30 minutes for all 19 as it remembers the database stuff and is so much faster.  The conversion and saving to disk is not the problem, it is the database.

• So I've used this product to convert some dforce clothes and now they end up exploding even on very standard poses.

Help?

• Eboshijaana said:

So I've used this product to convert some dforce clothes and now they end up exploding even on very standard poses.

Help?

dForce is very sensitive to geometry inside other geometry.  Clothing designed for one body/character type might naturally be draped slightly wrong for the converted body type.  Make sure the clothes don't start inside the figure.

• RiverSoftArt said:

Eboshijaana said:

So I've used this product to convert some dforce clothes and now they end up exploding even on very standard poses.

Help?

dForce is very sensitive to geometry inside other geometry.  Clothing designed for one body/character type might naturally be draped slightly wrong for the converted body type.  Make sure the clothes don't start inside the figure.

Figured out a solution; I simply redid the conversion with an alternative template (Loose Bodysuit instead of coat) and the simulation is MUCH more stable.

Goes to show you DO need to pay attention to what you are converting.

• Eboshijaana said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Eboshijaana said:

Help?

Figured out a solution; I simply redid the conversion with an alternative template (Loose Bodysuit instead of coat) and the simulation is MUCH more stable.

Huh.  Very interesting.  Thank you for sharing your experience and solution.

• RiverSoftArt said:

Eboshijaana said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Eboshijaana said:

Help?

Huh.  Very interesting.  Thank you for sharing your experience and solution.

To explain the issue further, I had an issue with Oskarsson's Mad Scientist Coat absolutely haaating knees of all kinds. I even have the dForce cloth simulation preset product with its explosion fix and I STILL got explosions.

Then I decided to play with the templates. The dress one did not like arms so I tried Loose Bodysuit and vòla! No more knee issues!

The coat template didn't take into account how big the coat was, I guess.

I hope this helps others.

• RiverSoftArt said:

andolaurina said:

@RiverSoftArt - This may sound like a strange question coming from someone who purchased your G8>G9 converter, but will you be coming out with a G9 to G8 clothing and hair converter? I think a lot of us would be more excited about purchasing G9 clothing & hair if we could get it to work on G8 figures as well. (I know there's a clone product in the store by MattyManx but I was hoping for the script from RiverSoft & SickleYield).

Thanks so much for all you do! Have a great weekend!

Based on prior history, I expect we will make a G9->G8 converter but not right away.

Have a great weekend as well!

Hi RiverSoftArt,

Has this been scheduled yet?

Cheers 

• N00b4Ever said:

RiverSoftArt said:

andolaurina said:

@RiverSoftArt - This may sound like a strange question coming from someone who purchased your G8>G9 converter, but will you be coming out with a G9 to G8 clothing and hair converter? I think a lot of us would be more excited about purchasing G9 clothing & hair if we could get it to work on G8 figures as well. (I know there's a clone product in the store by MattyManx but I was hoping for the script from RiverSoft & SickleYield).

Thanks so much for all you do! Have a great weekend!

Based on prior history, I expect we will make a G9->G8 converter but not right away.

Have a great weekend as well!

Hi RiverSoftArt,

Has this been scheduled yet?

Cheers 

Sorry, no information yet.

• I've got several versions of the RSSY clothing converter, 2 through 9. One of the biggest issues I have is that these work marginally and acceptably well for most clothing items but almost never work with footwear. I've just purchased the 8 to 9 converter and have been trying to convert some of my most used clothing items for G9 use. I've had about 80% success with clothing. With some items, nothing happens. I read the log files after I get a zero items converted message and get a "not a follower" error. That's not the end of the world for me. I expect that not everything will work.

The more pressing and disappointing problems is that footwear items never convert successfully. Ever. I can find the items in the converted clothing folder in the MyLibrary area but when I try to use the footwear, it's just a garbled mess. This has been an issue with every version of the clothing converter I've used starting with 2 to 3. See the attached image for what the results almost always look like.

I'm typing this on Christmas Eve 2023. It's the holidays so I don't expect a response to this any time soon. Please enjoy your holidays and I look forward to hearing from you when you've got time.

g9 clothing con footwear.jpg
    2161 x 800 - 71K
  • crashworship said:

I've got several versions of the RSSY clothing converter, 2 through 9. One of the biggest issues I have is that these work marginally and acceptably well for most clothing items but almost never work with footwear. I've just purchased the 8 to 9 converter and have been trying to convert some of my most used clothing items for G9 use. I've had about 80% success with clothing. With some items, nothing happens. I read the log files after I get a zero items converted message and get a "not a follower" error. That's not the end of the world for me. I expect that not everything will work.

The more pressing and disappointing problems is that footwear items never convert successfully. Ever. I can find the items in the converted clothing folder in the MyLibrary area but when I try to use the footwear, it's just a garbled mess. This has been an issue with every version of the clothing converter I've used starting with 2 to 3. See the attached image for what the results almost always look like.

I'm typing this on Christmas Eve 2023. It's the holidays so I don't expect a response to this any time soon. Please enjoy your holidays and I look forward to hearing from you when you've got time.

I really do not have that problem.  It is not perfect, especially at the end of the heels, but nothing close to what you are showing:

Are you changing the conformer to Heels in this case?  Have you tried with the Foot Dialog?

2023-12-25_08-06-50.jpg
    1212 x 1359 - 88K
  • RiverSoftArt said:

crashworship said:

I've got several versions of the RSSY clothing converter, 2 through 9. One of the biggest issues I have is that these work marginally and acceptably well for most clothing items but almost never work with footwear. I've just purchased the 8 to 9 converter and have been trying to convert some of my most used clothing items for G9 use. I've had about 80% success with clothing. With some items, nothing happens. I read the log files after I get a zero items converted message and get a "not a follower" error. That's not the end of the world for me. I expect that not everything will work.

I really do not have that problem.  It is not perfect, especially at the end of the heels, but nothing close to what you are showing:

Are you changing the conformer to Heels in this case?  Have you tried with the Foot Dialog?

Oh yeah. Definately using the foot dialogue. And, I've tried posing the feet first using the pose file which is included with the shoe product. IDK. Must be doing something wrong. I just have never been able to get shoes to convert unless maybe there's no heel pose. Then it works better but not great.

• crashworshipcrashworship Posts: 208
    edited December 2023

So, after reading your post I went back and tried another shoe conversion. Using the conformer/footwear dialogue, another failed attempt. See the attached images to show the results.

This is the heeled sandals from the Rare n Nirv shoe collection. The shoes shape appropriately but don't conform to the foot. So, clearly there's something I don't understand about how to do this. This is typical of most of the results I get when trying to use this converter regardless of the Genesis generation version I'm using.

The first image shows the sandals applied by just using the G8 version and applying to the G9 figure and using the "fit to" shoe template. This works until I try to pose the character.

rare n nirv heeled sandle1.jpg
    2186 x 800 - 135K
    rare n nirv heeled sandle2.jpg
    1669 x 800 - 120K
    rare n nirv heeled sandle3.jpg
    1550 x 800 - 66K
    Post edited by crashworship on
  • lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

I don't know why but converted clothes stopped showing up in the Smart Content for me. They used to show up with a (cv) suffix. I'm hopeless finding anything not in Smart Content.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

lou_harper said:

I don't know why but converted clothes stopped showing up in the Smart Content for me. They used to show up with a (cv) suffix. I'm hopeless finding anything not in Smart Content.

I opened up my MacBook Pro where I have previously seen the (CV) in Smart Content/Products and loaded a G9 character and selected 'Filter By Content' and the files do show up. Switching to Smart Content/Files I do not see the (CV) but the converted products do show up. I checked dForce Elite Commander Outfit and dForce Wet and Dry for a sample. I haven't converted earlier products to older figures yet on this computer. 

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

memcneil70 said:

lou_harper said:

I opened up my MacBook Pro where I have previously seen the (CV) in Smart Content/Products and loaded a G9 character and selected 'Filter By Content' and the files do show up. Switching to Smart Content/Files I do not see the (CV) but the converted products do show up. I checked dForce Elite Commander Outfit and dForce Wet and Dry for a sample. I haven't converted earlier products to older figures yet on this computer. 

The outfits I converted a while ago show up. None that I converted recently do. Try converting an outfit now and see if it still shows up.

crashworship said:

RiverSoftArt said:

crashworship said:

Oh yeah. Definately using the foot dialogue. And, I've tried posing the feet first using the pose file which is included with the shoe product. IDK. Must be doing something wrong. I just have never been able to get shoes to convert unless maybe there's no heel pose. Then it works better but not great.

That is strange.  After conversion when you are trying the shoes on your figure, you are posing the feet not the converted shoes later correct?

lou_harper said:

memcneil70 said:

lou_harper said:

The outfits I converted a while ago show up. None that I converted recently do. Try converting an outfit now and see if it still shows up.

Did you clean up your database? 

• suffo85suffo85 Posts: 154
    edited February 8

G9 Valentina thanks you for the new threads. :)

AJC Pro Skate Outfit for Genesis 8 - https://www.daz3d.com/ajc-pro-skate-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

valentina new threads.png
    607 x 1080 - 934K
    Post edited by suffo85 on

suffo85 said:

G9 Valentina thanks you for the new threads. :)

AJC Pro Skate Outfit for Genesis 8 - https://www.daz3d.com/ajc-pro-skate-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

Looks great!  Thank you for sharing!

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 444

So a minor but very amusing bug;

The converter tends to assign the dress template for coats or jackets.

• Shimrian said:

Is there a converter for hair coming out soon? :cross fingers:

I'm not sure how old your post is, but there is a hair converter by RSSY.at RSSY Hair Converter from Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 | Daz 3D.

• wildbillnashwildbillnash Posts: 713
    edited February 25

I have a problem with the RSSY clothing converter for gen 8- gen 9. Actually, several. I bought it today and came up with a problem similar to the RSSY Hair conversion (haven't tackel that one yet).

First, thanks to a Dutch made video (I don't speak Dutch) I was able to figure out to assign the destination folder. Again, thanks to the video, I "think" I found out how to get to the source folder. I did find the folder with my Gen 8 clothing. I went through the process (I won't go into the shoes/posing problem yet) and the program stopped at 90% done. That was close to 45 minutes before it froze up. Daz worked fine. And I could easily close out of the program. But it refused to convert around 20-25 of the last items.

So, I went to my smart content and found only a small percent of the items made it under 'wardrobe'. If I go into my "Content Library" folder under the "Content Library" tab I find all of them there. Why don't they show up in the folders in the wardrobe folder?

I check the Dress folder and saw only 30 out of 60 had made it. Any ideas?

Oh, I forgot to mention. I was doing a batch conversion of all my clothes.

Post edited by wildbillnash on

Eboshijaana said:

So a minor but very amusing bug;

The converter tends to assign the dress template for coats or jackets.

It all depends on the list of conformers, and the metadata of the coats/jackets, to which gets matched