DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    namffuak said:
    R25S said:
    namffuak said:

You're missing one minor but key step. Plug the skydome image (jpg or whatever) into the environment map.

I did not recognice that this was missing (normaly it is set automatic, as far as I know).
    But in the first try, setting the map, doesn`t chance anything. Just after deleting the Emitter Shader the Sky is shown in the rendered Image but now it is really dark and not clear

I'm re-rendering now, just to make sure I'm not blowing smoke - I'll post the result and settings in about 20 minutes, when it finishes.

The illumination on this scene is from the skydome, with just a slight bit from the lamps around the deck.

The two sets of settings show what I have the skydome set to, and what I've changed in the environment. Very much a test - I haven't added a ground cover even. But I was targeting a late afternoon verging on twilight for the lighting. The only material changes were to the water, the glass on the lamps, and setting the lamps as emitters.

It`s so.... aargh... This is what happen when I use your Settings.

Maybe it have something to do with the Skydome itself... because I noticed that on some Skydomes I can`t use Emission.

btw. what do you choose when adding the Emission Shader; Replace or Ignore? I testet booth and none have a desired result; when I use Ignore the Render ended up black or brown or any other Color; when I use Replace it ended up white.

Image2.jpg
    1502 x 961 - 112K
  • katfeetekatfeete Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, I can't seem to search this thread for keywords for some reason....

I'm running a Mac (technically a Hackintosh) with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 graphics card, but I'm not getting an option to render on this card -- the Advanced tab only shows CPU, and when that's unchecked I get a black render. Is it just too old, is this a known bug, or am I just missing something?

• goggerfett@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 2,291
    edited December 1969

katfeete said:
    Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, I can't seem to search this thread for keywords for some reason....

I'm running a Mac (technically a Hackintosh) with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 graphics card, but I'm not getting an option to render on this card -- the Advanced tab only shows CPU, and when that's unchecked I get a black render. Is it just too old, is this a known bug, or am I just missing something?

This may not answer your question directly, but I have the GTX 680 on an Alienware Windows 7 machine and I have both CPU and GPU checked for iRay renders and it is AMAZING!

So I have to ask: DO you have the latest video drivers installed?

I can't imagine the 680 would run so well and the 650 wouldn't run at all, but then, there are lower limits for everything. Still...

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

katfeete said:

I'm using a GTX 570 and get a GPU render option - but I'm not a Mac though, I'm Windows 7 PC.
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,756
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    The new renderer seems amaizing. One big problem though: You should be able to stop and save any time. At avery early stage the pictures allready look quite accepteble. It doesn't allways seem nessesary to go over the whole render time.

Once you cancel a render, it leaves the render window open so that you can save the image.
    No, I've tried that. The Render pane closes and the render is lost.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

katfeete said:

Somewhere in the beginning somebody said something about something download and install first if you are on a Mac ... yes!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53671/P120/#777767

• katfeetekatfeete Posts: 247
    edited March 2015

Kerya said:

Somewhere in the beginning somebody said something about something download and install first if you are on a Mac ... yes!

Thank you!

It looks like I may be out of luck though... they're only offering downloads for OSX10.9 and above, and I'm running 10.8, which *should* be automatically supported. So, probably yet another Hackintosh problem. *sighs* *packs more money in the "buy a MacPro" fund*

No, I’ve tried that. The Render pane closes and the render is lost.

Try canceling from the render dialogue, rather than the popped-up render progress window. Also, you should be able to save the partial render via the "Save Last Render" option in the file menu no matter where you cancel from.

Post edited by katfeete on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,756
    edited December 1969

katfeete said:
    Kerya said:

Thank you!

It looks like I may be out of luck though... they're only offering downloads for OSX10.9 and above, and I'm running 10.8, which *should* be automatically supported. So, probably yet another Hackintosh problem. *sighs* *packs more money in the "buy a MacPro" fund*

No, I’ve tried that. The Render pane closes and the render is lost.

Try canceling from the render dialogue, rather than the popped-up render progress window. Also, you should be able to save the partial render via the "Save Last Render" option in the file menu no matter where you cancel from.

O.k. found it, but it's vice versa. Canceling from the render progress pop-up does it. You cannot cancel from your render pane viewport.
    Thank you :)

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    The new renderer seems amaizing. One big problem though: You should be able to stop and save any time. At avery early stage the pictures allready look quite accepteble. It doesn't allways seem nessesary to go over the whole render time.

Once you cancel a render, it leaves the render window open so that you can save the image.

No, I've tried that. The Render pane closes and the render is lost.

You have to click cancel on the progress bar popup, not the image. Every now and then I click the wrong one and am sad.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

Been testing my old machine with Iray using the Material Ball scene.

CPU is a 2.5 Ghz Core2 quad
    GPU is a 1Gb GT 430

CPU only render took just under 20 minutes

GPU only render was just over 8 minutes

CPU & GPU render took just over 6 minutes

Not bad going for a six year old underpowered machine.

Is there a "shading rate" in this mess of a render settings tab as I'm seeing blotches in the shadows

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    edited December 1969

Two new renderrs!
    First one is the optimized shader
    Second one is the modified optimized shader XD

Test_Image_Final_3_1.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 972K
    Test_Image_Final_3_2.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 991K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Why does Bryce get so neglected? From what I've seen it looks really good. When I had Poser, I bought Vue as it did really nice stuff and it bridged with it. When I went back to DS I wanted something that did the same thing, but I was reticent about Bryce, even though it bridges with DS, as it was only 32bit. Carrara has always been way too expensive for something I'd only use part of.

CHEERS!

Have had Bryce since it first came out hate the interface keep hoping they'll change it
    I actually bought Vue back around version 3 or 4 because it could load the Bryce files
    Have also had Carrara since it first came and really should use it more
    Have had Poser and Studio since they both first came out was never happy about how hard it was to get
    realistic renders I use Lux but has been noted at the moment it's really slow so I have hopes for Iray provided Studio will function
    Have had problems with it after the 4.0 version came out but it seems to be getting better again
  • bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited December 1969

I haven't gone through every pages, so maybe someone posted a similar document, but this is a visual guide to all the iRay settings. (if so, sorry) It is for 3ds Max, but the templates and settings are the same as DAZ. I threw this pdf up on my Share OneDrive - hope everyone can view it. Can't upload a pdf here.

http://1drv.ms/1C9YDVf

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Let me start with a little explanation. Sorry about the wall of text. LOL.

Thanks for explaining all that. It is very much insightful.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Razor 42 said:
    I was doing some displacement tests and I noted a few things.
    I thought maybe someone may find the info helpful.

When using a base 3Delight shader displacement doesn't render in Iray at the moment.

So I did few test with getting some displacement in Iray and I found a few things.

...snip...

So it looks like at the moment displacement will need to have the SubD level manually set if the mesh doesn't have enough detail to support the applied maps if you want see displacement in the render.

That's interesting.
    Some programs actually default to this method as it gives more control over subdivision, on a material by material basis.
    This way you don't have to apply a huge subdivision to the whole mesh, just to the parts that need it.

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Interactive Iray display seems to be a real drag on my system when active. I've tried just CPU, or just one of my two video cards but it even slows down the mouse response at times.

My specs:
    AMD FX-8320 8 Core 3.5GHz
    2 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SLI
    Dual displays

What's strange is another machine I use which has an AMD card and no GPU rendering available, is an Intel i7-2600, functions just fine with the Iray Interactive being on CPU, and there's no slow down at all when it is slowly rendering the little scene.

Any thoughts on this?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Anyone have any idea how viable Genesis will remain in Iray?

Should be completely viable. Someone will need to set up a shader to apply to add all the iray settings but that really shouldn't be a big deal. The Iray Uber Default should handle that for you. The eyes lack the "reflective layer" (A simulation of the coating of water on the eye.) which makes them a little more difficult to set up but still doable..

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

bohemian3 said:
    I haven't gone through every pages, so maybe someone posted a similar document, but this is a visual guide to all the iRay settings. (if so, sorry) It is for 3ds Max, but the templates and settings are the same as DAZ. I threw this pdf up on my Share OneDrive - hope everyone can view it. Can't upload a pdf here.

http://1drv.ms/1C9YDVf

Thanks ,very handy to see actual renders :)

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Did anyone else have a crash when the Architectural & Caustic Sampler are both active ?
    This does not always occur, but in good 85-90% of my experiments.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    DAZ_Jon said:
    A quick note for our customers, so you can't say we didn't let you know before most of you went out and bought a new video card, DAZ is working with some distributors to provide you the stellar deals, and unique value to DAZ customers, on NVIDIA cards directly. I can't go into any details, and if you see a great deal on a different website, by all means, go for it, but if you want to wait to see what we think will be a better value that we can bring you in the near future to help you on the hardware end, its in the pipeline that we're pushing hard finalize.

Now we get some clarity as to why Iray becomes the render engine of choice. Until the email about DS4.8 dropped into my inbox I hadn't heard of it. So, is Daz now to become a hardware vendor as well as a software vendor!?

I've also just gone through 13 pages relating to Nvidia on Google and have only found results regarding gaming. Is Daz Studio being used by Nvidia to test the waters in the 3D modelling and rendering marketplace!?

I'd always thought of DS as a program that anyone could use no matter what hardware they had. Ok, yes, to an extent it still will be as you are keeping 3Delight so that non NVidia users can have a program they can still use effectively with their hardware and hopefully this will always prove to be the case.

Obviously, as a business, you have to keep going in ways that will ensure a future and I do hope that future will always be an inclusive one for folks that have been with you for as long as I have.

CHEERS!
    First Iray has been in 3DS Max for several years, it isn't new. NVIDIA bought Mental Ray, which is arguably, the first Unbiased Render engine, and Iray is the work they have done since buying Mental Ray to bring it to GPU. So NVIDIA has been in the 3D modeling and rendering marketplace for quite some time.

Information on Iray http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-iray.html http://www.nvidia-arc.com/Iray

Second, as has been stated numerous times, you do not need an NVIDIA card to use Iray. No matter how many times you make the claim that Iray only works on NVIDIA cards, that is not going to make that assertion true.

The only difference between having an NVIDIA card that can hold your scene and having a non-NVIDIA card, or an NVIDIA card that won't hold your scene is speed, the end result is exactly the same, given the same number of iterations or the same convergence value. .

Third computer hardware advances, you can't expect your hardware not to become obsolete, eventually, it just won't have enough power anymore. I certainly do not expect to still use my Atari 800, my Amiga 1000, or even my Intel 486 machine running WIndows 3.1.1.

edited December 1969

JartStar said:
    Interactive Iray display seems to be a real drag on my system when active. I've tried just CPU, or just one of my two video cards but it even slows down the mouse response at times.

My specs:
    AMD FX-8320 8 Core 3.5GHz
    2 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SLI
    Dual displays

What's strange is another machine I use which has an AMD card and no GPU rendering available, is an Intel i7-2600, functions just fine with the Iray Interactive being on CPU, and there's no slow down at all when it is slowly rendering the little scene.

Any thoughts on this?

1. Disable SLI (Nvidia Control panel).
    2. Under advanced render settings turn off the video card that is running your monitors.
    That should help.
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    edited March 2015

What is the architectural sampler?

As for Carrara... I have a soft spot for that application since it's how I started with CGI, waaaaay back when it was Ray Dream Designer. (I forget if it was RDS, but I was doing early CGI stuff on a Mac LC II. Ha ha ha.)

I was very disappointed when I got it recently and discovered that all the cool shaders, landscapes, particles, etc., were almost completely incompatible with DAZ3D. (I had incorrectly assumed that if Daz had bought Carrara they'd synergize the two. Nooope)

Thankfully, it's still a pretty decent modeler, so there's that.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

IRAY has to different Samplers

Architectural Sampler
    1. Employs Metropolis Sampling
    2. Makes interiors and dark scenes converge faster. Useful for:
    1. Interior scenes lit by exterior light through small windows
    2. Light passing through Translucent or Glossy surfaces
    3. Bright light reflected from Glossy and Specular surfaces
    4. Sub-surface Scattering

Caustic Sampler
    3. Adds caustic reflections coming off of specular and glossy surfaces
    4. Works well with the Architectural Sampler

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I've been applying the Iray Optimized MATs for G2F and G2M by just selecting the character and double clicking on the MAT icon. Is that the right way to do it? I ask, because it seems to make the eyes of my characters very dark, to the point that I sometimes cannot see the difference between pupil and iris. Most of the detail of the iris is not even visible, because it becomes so dark. I have tried several different characters and many eye colors. Suggestions?

Here is an example with the character Gogo. I picked it for this example, because the materials had bright light blue eyes. both renders are with the Iray render engine with an HDRI in the dome. One render uses just the default Gogo materials and the other has the Iray optimized G2F mat applied.

One of the hardest things in photography is to get the right angle for lights on the eyes to give you the proper lighting on the eyes without blowing them out. With Iray, forget the cheats we have all been using to get the most out of biased render engines like 3Delight and Carrara, and look at how lights are set up for photography and video use in the real world and that will improve your eyes, and renders in general.
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,455
    edited December 1969

One thing to note, the progress bar doesn't go linearly - the percentage is the percentage of 95 (or whatever) percent converged, but as far as I can tell it gets faster on converging after a while so it may look as if it is going to take longer than it will if you follow the numbers in the early stages (I have Provence rendering now, it took ages to get over 1% converged and then fairly quickly romped up to 15% converged - though I'm still probably going to have to stop it since it's after midnight here).

I'm not seeing a progress bar at all, just the popup with Render (1/1) thought the image looks to be mostly rendered. Where do I look for this progress or percentage indicator?

Regards,
    Brent

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Totte said:

As far as I know from what DAZ have been writing, 3Delight will be there and won't go away, but to move on competition from LuxRender, Octane, FluidRay and a handfull of other Physically based unbiased render engines, DAZ looked around, found IRay and nVidia and struck a deal. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that nVidia is making IRay to sell HW, but I tested IRay CPU only vs. 3Delight tracelevel 12 UberEnvironment2 Global Illumination mode and IRay rendered better and was three times faster.

That's fine,

I do know that 3Delight will always be there. Until Jon posted I was mystified as to why Iray suddenly appeared when all talk I'd read was of Lux and Octane. A deal with NVidia to sell cards through Daz would not be of much benefit to customers outside the US unless they can do something really major when it comes to shipping costs. Right now, for UK users like me, they are really high and I try not to buy items requiring shipping from the US if I can possibly avoid it.

Regarding long 3Delight render times, the AoA lights were brought in to combat them and I have had good results with them. How does Iray in CPU mode compare to them?

CHEERS!NVIDIA doesn't make cards, they just license the chips. Conspiracy theories aside, we are more interested in our customers getting the best results they can out of DAZ Studio and our content. Most people here are not hardware junkies, so will mostly be guessing as to what card they want. We rather make sure what our customers spend their money on will generate the best experience with DAZ 3D software and DAZ 3D Content.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Two new renderrs!
    First one is the optimized shader
    Second one is the modified optimized shader XD

Got to say, those look good. What's your setup though?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Mmm, there's something, does Iray work well with 32bit!?

Obviously I will try a render with Iray in CPU just to see what I get, but, I think 3DL will still be my render engine of choice because I pretty much built my machine around it.

CHEERS!

PS (Doesn't Project Iradium sound like something that should come with an introduction by Stan Lee!?)

There is no 32 bit version of Iray.
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

Greybro said:
    One thing to note, the progress bar doesn't go linearly - the percentage is the percentage of 95 (or whatever) percent converged, but as far as I can tell it gets faster on converging after a while so it may look as if it is going to take longer than it will if you follow the numbers in the early stages (I have Provence rendering now, it took ages to get over 1% converged and then fairly quickly romped up to 15% converged - though I'm still probably going to have to stop it since it's after midnight here).

I'm not seeing a progress bar at all, just the popup with Render (1/1) thought the image looks to be mostly rendered. Where do I look for this progress or percentage indicator?

Regards,
    Brent

The default location for the progress bar window is dead center of your screen, so chances are it's hiding behind the render window.

edited December 1969

I seem to have a massive problem my iray seems to be imaginary. There are all the other things from the content of the iray package EXCEPT THE ACTUAL RENDER ENGINE!
    Am I the only one with this issue?
    The render engine in included in DAZ Studio Iradium Public Beta.