Show Us Your Iray Renders

Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
edited April 2015 in The Commons

This seems appropriate at the moment. So, I'll kick this off by leaving the light on for you. :)

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,481
    edited December 1969

wow Dumor!! Simple but beautiful :coolsmile:

Can you share what you did?
    1. Lighting setup?
    2. Material setup, is it all iray uber shader or your own, etc?
    3. Render size and how long did it take to converge?
    4. What is your system specs?

hehe... need to know nosey :-)

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505
    edited December 1969

This is literally just a preview in the working window. Pretty cool stuff, I like how you can set sunlight by date and time. :)

dias.jpg
    1118 x 1229 - 724K
  • SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

I've already posted them in the Un-Biased thread:

Robot_small_15000it.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 480K
    PickUp_Dred_big_web.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 681K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited March 2015

Probably the better render out of my tests. Hair and eyes can suck it atm. lol

On the hair, I had to turn top coat off (once converted to !ray Uber Base via ctrl-click) to get it to stop looking like an oil slick. As for the eyes, I can't tell if those are fireflies or details coming through (the iris).

Nothing special, using the sun-sky only at 3/10/2015 9:00am with an HDR I had added as a backdrop so I wasn't looking at a blank background.

Girl is Tansy for G2F/Fiends using Shae for Josie 6 textures (eyes are Tansy's). Straps are from Alibi and hair is Xtechdreads.

Tansy_Shae_IRAY_test.png
    636 x 900 - 725K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited March 2015

My first test render with Iray. I used the the Iray Optimized Genesis 2 shader, but it still needs a bit of work on the skin (a bit more specular highlights). I also used the supplied Iray Jade shader for the dragon, with a few modifications. The dragon has still has a bit of noise, and needed a bit more time to cook - I'll have to figure out how to enable more rendering time. I did a slight edit on the water to (needs more tweaking), but everything else is "straight out of the box". The scene is lit with 2 mesh lights.

The render took 1 hour on a GTX 670M (laptop). The speed seems comparable to Octane on my system, just a bit slower. The workflow with Octane is better on my system, but overall I really can't complain for the price (plus it is a lot more stable than the Octane plugin for DS on my system). My system (both GPU and CPU) runs a lot hotter while rendering with Iray than with Octane (7-10 degrees hotter), and it takes about 25% of my CPU while rendering (GPU only render), where Octane hardly even touches the CPU (even with out of core textures).

Overall this really great!! It will take me a bit more trial and error to figure everything out, but so far it's great!

Congratulations and thanks DAZ 3D!!!

PS: the render looks much better at full size!

Dragon_Princess_test_Iray.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 238K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:

1. Lighting setup?

I'm nosy too so I second that! :D

(and also because I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to IRay)

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,252
    edited December 1969

My first DAZ Studio / Iray:

HugItout.jpg
    1727 x 1264 - 2M
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,114
    edited March 2015

Not had much time to play around with the beta, but here's the Chapter House rendered in it..

Main_IRAY2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 535K
    Post edited by Daz Jack Tomalin on
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072
    edited December 1969

Here is my first test render. Just used the Sun Dial Set for the light and an .exr file for the environment map.

Trystan_IRay_Studio_4.8_Render_.jpg
    623 x 826 - 240K
    edited December 1969

Ok, is there ANY information on Iray in DS at all??? I have no idea where the lights are or anything like that.

• Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:

1. Lighting setup?

Thanks April. Yeah, this is just a quick test render of some things from a set I'm working on. I put lightbulbs in my lights so that they can easily be used by Luxrender or other PBRs. So, the lamp has a bulb in it. I set it to an Iray emitter using the Iray Shader Presets. The table is just stock stuff that works with both 3DL and Iray. The bowl and the lamp base are using the Iray glass and metal shaders. The lamp shade is also the 3DL version with some refraction added to give the translucence.

So, the light bulb is the bulb mesh from the lamp. I had to add a photometric light, and then turn it off to make the default headlamp go away. It was rendered using CPU+GPU, an i7 6 core duo and a pair of Nvidia GTX 980s. Iray loves light and since this is a dark scene, I ran the render iterations time and quality up so it wouldn't quit very fast. I think it took about 20 minutes. I wasn't paying attention. But that really is a long render for such a scene... again due to the dark areas. It can be a bit grainy with less time. The size was 1000x1300. Oh, and the wall is just a cube primitive set to an off white color. Also, the light was set to I think it was 4500K color, I switched over to watts and think I was at about 50.

Hope that helps! :)

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited March 2015

jakiblue said:
    Ok, is there ANY information on Iray in DS at all??? I have no idea where the lights are or anything like that.

Try the Render Presets>Iray>Sun Dial Set in your DAZ Studio Format content library

I'm still trying to figure this beast out myself and just discovered the Iray render view port option and can see Iray changes in real time, though you need a robust system to use Iray viewport.

Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

Lindsey said:
    jakiblue said:

Try the Render Presets>Iray>Sun Dial Set in your DAZ Studio Format content library

oh thank goodness. LOL. Thank you Lindsey! I am at a complete loss with this, thought I was going insane. :D

edited December 1969

Jaki, did you also get in the content library where you installed the new iray content:
    Props > DAZ Material Ball - there's a Material Ball Scene fully set up.
    Then in:
    Shader Presets > Iray Uber Defaults - a lot of metal and glass presets
    No skin or hair presets there yet which I'm waiting for :)

Watching out for more renders here, thanks for sharing and all the render info too, thanks Dumor and everyone so far!! :D

edited December 1969

oh wait, I forgot about
    People > Genesis 2 Female > Iray Specific - which has our first iray skin mat preset! So there is something to go by :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,489
    edited December 1969

boot hill express

boot-hill-express.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 152K
    edited December 1969

Taking the subway

subway-internal.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 228K
    edited December 1969

AprilYSH said:
    Jaki, did you also get in the content library where you installed the new iray content:
    Props > DAZ Material Ball - there's a Material Ball Scene fully set up.
    Then in:
    Shader Presets > Iray Uber Defaults - a lot of metal and glass presets
    No skin or hair presets there yet which I'm waiting for :)

Watching out for more renders here, thanks for sharing and all the render info too, thanks Dumor and everyone so far!! :D

oh yes, it's there! Thanks. Er, what does it do?

I'm having trouble locating stuff in the beta as it defaulted to some layout that I don't use, and I can't find my preferred customized layout that I use in the general release version, to set it in the beta version. So I'm scratching through places trying to find stuff LOL

I found the Shader Presets, and was playing with a robot. LOL.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

My first test. Why she's standing outside in her underwear I don't know.

Ease of use is fantastic. For the skin, I applied the skin I wanted, and then cntrl-clicked the gen2 female skin settings to ignore the textures.

For the table I did much the same, loaded it, cntrl-clicked the default Iray material too adjust the bump

I did absolutely nothing for the clothes, that's the default conversion which looks pretty excellent.

The hair I also tried to adjust but it definitely needs work, If anyone figures out good hair settings, let me know.

For the lighting, I put in a HDR and rotated it to an angle I liked

All told, the material and lighting setup took maybe 7 minutes, and the render took 10, I'm running on a decent but certainly not overpowered laptop and was able to watch a show on my browser at the same time, so it clearly can't be too taxing.

testi.png
    900 x 1666 - 1M
  • Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Wow! Lots of great successes with rendering already! Nice work people. :)

edited December 1969

Dumor3D said:
    Wow! Lots of great successes with rendering already! Nice work people. :)

Sleep is overrated!!!

edited December 1969

Sleep?? What's that??

We've got the new Cities Skyline being released in a few hours which I am hyped for, and now also Iray to figure out! I don't know what sleep is! :D

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Is this going to be easy to use, or are typical users going to be completely lost? From reading about CPU's, length of render time, what you all are trying to find and use, etc- is this going to be a big turn off for inexperienced users trying to tackle learning the studio? If there isn't a "how to" on it yet- it sure seems like there should be. I know it's only in beta, but it sounds like only experienced, technical oriented people are going to understand how to use this thing.

I'm noticing graininess- does this have a different render setting that can address that?

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Novica said:
    Is this going to be easy to use, or are typical users going to be completely lost? From reading about CPU's, length of render time, what you all are trying to find and use, etc- is this going to be a big turn off for inexperienced users trying to tackle learning the studio? If there isn't a "how to" on it yet- it sure seems like there should be. I know it's only in beta, but it sounds like only experienced, technical oriented people are going to understand how to use this thing.

I'm noticing graininess- does this have a different render setting that can address that?

Lighting is different, and that'll confuse folks who are used to 3Delight lighting tricks and workarounds.

Other than that, no, I don't think it'll be particularly confusing. Again, the biggest problem will be trying to use lighting information and knowledge which isn't necessarily right for this renderer.

I really was able to pull up a saved image and hit 'Render'. Now it was much faster, and better quality, when I swapped out the lights for a sunlight, but it's certainly doable.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Novica said:

Novica, I just started a thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53695/ here asking for some tips and tricks on how to use it, cos I am completely lost. There doesn't seem to be any documentation at all on it, so I am going in blind to this. I'm hoping some of the more experienced users will pop in and help us out.

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Here are a couple of test renders with not really any changes.

I just messed with the helmet shield opacity.

I have just been using 3Delight until now.

Iraya106a.png
    750 x 750 - 677K
    Iray103a.png
    750 x 750 - 589K
    Iraya101a.png
    750 x 750 - 584K
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

I did a quick comparison and rendered the same scene with 3Delight using AOA's skin shader and a basic 3 point light setup. It took 8 minutes so the time difference isn't that bad. More importantly for beginners because there's light bounces, its way easier to to have lighting that looks good even if you just plop in some spotlights

Here's my same scene from earlier but instead of a HDR the lighting setup is 2 of the new spotlights I plopped in and moved around. Is it the greatest light setup ever? No, but it looks decent, and for the entire scene I didn't do anything I didn't know how to do after using daz for three weeks.

Frankly, I think this makes it much easier for the beginner to get a decent first render without having to buy anything, whatever you do, at least all lights automatically cast shadows and there aren't a bunch of pitch black unlit areas.

testii.png
    900 x 1666 - 1M
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I'm basically a UE2/distant light combo person, which varies as I sometimes add linear point lights and spotlights. I use AoA advanced, but it's not my go-to. Can this new renderer use UE2? (UberEnvironment 2, for newbies. I always hate it when people use so many abbreviations that nothing makes sense. AoA is Age of Armour)

Yes Jaki, saw your thread that was set up as I was posting my "I'll be lost" post :) Great idea! Will be watching it.

I posted in my Art Studio thread a suggestion that if people didn't have a copy of the current version of their studio, they need to get it (like in an external hard drive) because once there is a new release, that's the only one in Product Library. When I switch, if I don't like this new version, I have one to go back to. Just a suggestion. (I have all the other older versions since Sept 2013)

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I'm basically a UE2/distant light combo person, which varies as I sometimes add linear point lights and spotlights. I use AoA advanced, but it's not my go-to. Can this new renderer use UE2? (UberEnvironment 2, for newbies. I always hate it when people use so many abbreviations that nothing makes sense. AoA is Age of Armour)

Yes Jaki, saw your thread that was set up as I was posting my "I'll be lost" post :) Great idea! Will be watching it.

I posted in my Art Studio thread a suggestion that if people didn't have a copy of the current version of their studio, they need to get it (like in an external hard drive) because once there is a new release, that's the only one in Product Library. When I switch, if I don't like this new version, I have one to go back to. Just a suggestion. (I have all the other older versions since Sept 2013)

The beta version still has the 3delight as normal, and I haven't noticed any other big changes in it that would make me have to go back to the current general release. ( I have both the beta and general version on my computer, but was playing in the beta tonight)

I have to give up playing with the Iray for tonight cos I"ve got a couple of promos to do, but I'll be back in it tomorrow, trying to figure out what to do. LOL.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,309
    edited December 1969

Pretty much load render.
    1 mesh light.
    No post work

calais1.jpg
    497 x 723 - 109K
This discussion has been closed.