Show Us Your Iray Renders

Comments

• SerpentSerpent Posts: 4,075
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    Will there be a point in using 3Delight rendering once Iray is live?

Certainly. Iray is a photo-realistic render engine. There are things it just won't do in the way of special effects that 3Delight does nicely.

Exactly. A lot of the special 3DL surfaces wont work in a physics-based renderer. Both ace nice, hourses for courses and all! :coolsmile:

• ValkeerieValkeerie Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

Installed 4.8 today, messing about with IRAY. So ... 4 photometric spots in the fire. About a 10 min render on a 6 core Haskell with a 980.

Much faster than Reality/Lux ... but a million things I don't know how to do ATM. Still, promising, and no problems with stability.

Valkeerie

Campfire.png
    894 x 849 - 989K
  • KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

valkeerie said:
    Installed 4.8 today, messing about with IRAY. So ... 4 photometric spots in the fire. About a 10 min render on a 6 core Haskell with a 980.

Much faster than Reality/Lux ... but a million things I don't know how to do ATM. Still, promising, and no problems with stability.

Valkeerie

Very nice :) You can also make the flame surface emmit light. Select the surface and apply the emitter shader that was included with the Iray beta content. It will cast light as well. Just another trick to try. :)

Kat

• ValkeerieValkeerie Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

valkeerie said:

Valkeerie

Very nice :) You can also make the flame surface emmit light. Select the surface and apply the emitter shader that was included with the Iray beta content. It will cast light as well. Just another trick to try. :)

Kat

Excellent idea ... I'll give that a go ...

Thanks,
    Valkeerie

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Lovin' the renders! I've noticed a lot of variation in light levels but that's controllable, no? It's great that we now have this renderer choice built int! I'm anxious to try it but I have a couple of thoughts.

(1)is it faster than Bryce?

(2)These are my pathetic specs though they serve me very well with 3delight.

-i5 2320 3.00 GHz 4 cores
    -nVidia GeForce Gt-545
    -12 gigs ram

Doesn't look like I can make the render times I've seen in this thread. LOL

and finally

(3)Where are the chrome spheres over a checkerboard ground? Or better for Brycers and ex-Brycers, chrome spheres over reflective water!! I'd love to see more water.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

How does emitter compare to doing the same thing with uber arealights?

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Lovin' the renders! I've noticed a lot of variation in light levels but that's controllable, no? It's great that we now have this renderer choice built int! I'm anxious to try it but I have a couple of thoughts.

-nVidia GeForce Gt-545
    -12 gigs ram

and finally

(3)Where are the chrome spheres over a checkerboard ground? Or better for Brycers and ex-Brycers, chrome spheres over reflective water!! I'd love to see more water.

Your card has 144 CUDA cores, that means Iray can use that to help speed rendering. I am certain beyond any doubt you will see a huge speed increase. As everyone is saying, this Iray advance is a game changer. Fun fun!

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Just finished this one. 12min 20sec render.

2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 744K
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited March 2015

Another one. Need to get these eyes right :blank:

3.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 242K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Straight out of the box iray render with a pre-prepared figure, all I did was turn off the lights I'd used when doing the original 3delight render. My graphics card is a Radeon, so this is a straight CPU render, and I'd guess I'm rendering at higher res than most people - 1697x2400 (portrait ratio), so this took a while - I'd guess around 45 minutes, I wasn't paying attention. For this quality of render, I'm perfectly happy to put up with that duration, though it may be possible to optimise the process down to a shorter duration. Cutting it down to 849x1200 (the original was too wide to post) dropped the duration to about 25 minutes

G2F_V6HD_Iray.png
    849 x 1200 - 412K
  • VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551
    edited December 1969

Just. Getting. Started!

Cousins,_Clayton_and_Carly.jpg
    1908 x 919 - 167K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited March 2015

I'm just wondering but does daz want the crash reports that I am building?

the night scene took almost 1 1/2 hours using UE2 light and 6 liner-points of lights at raytrace
    the ue2 light for day time no issues took about 30 minutes to render
    But the nigh scene crashed 3 times and then i rebooted my computer and it render all the way through but it took

I also could not get the surface light to work.
    I got some really bad pink and purple artifacts when i tried to use a deep shadow map light as a experiment.

when i render it with just the 3dlight settings no issue at all.. I think I going to uninstall 4.8 and try to re-install it again and see if that helps the crash when I use the max amount of lights.

anyway both these are done with
    Streets of Asian(I used this because it has alot fo detials) with a A6 figure and a custom nija outfit geometry shell.
    6 liner points of light
    a ue2 with a age of Armour advanced distant light added to the ue2 for the night scene.

I have not tried any effects cameras yet i will after i do the new install

anyway best view full size for details 1920 x1080 150 kb each

4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 143K
    Day.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 247K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    I got some really bad pink and purple artifacts when i tried to use a deep shadow map light as a experiment.

Ha! THAT bug is still around...

That particular bug has plagued 3Delight/Renderman/RiSpec renderers for ages. It is something that probably isn't curable other than scrapping the current deep shadow map code and rewriting it from the ground up. It's not a DS specific bug...in fact, it is probably responsible for driving major improvements in raytracing (both for efficiency and speed).

edited March 2015

mjc1016 said:
    Ivy said:

Ha! THAT bug is still around...

That particular bug has plagued 3Delight/Renderman/RiSpec renderers for ages. It is something that probably isn't curable other than scrapping the current deep shadow map code and rewriting it from the ground up. It's not a DS specific bug...in fact, it is probably responsible for driving major improvements in raytracing (both for efficiency and speed).

i know that is why I tested it to see if it still did it.. Also I think I should have been able to use the surface light emitter but it would not work or i'm not using it right .. either way I was trying to use it to shade the windows so they would emmit light .. but some reason i could not get it to work .. that is another reason i'm uninstalled it and and reistalling it now

Post edited by Ivy on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

My first Iray render.
    Just experimenting with skin a bit. Still not there yet, but I love the new engine. Seems much faster than LuxRender so far.

DAZ_Studio_Iray_engine.jpg
    1097 x 819 - 430K
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Is Iray working well for older machines?
    My currect specs:
    Intel i7-2600, 3.4 GHz (8 CPUs), 8 GB RAM, Win 8.1 pro 64 bit
    GeForce GTX 555, 4 GB memory

I'm nervous about going to a cutting edge beta version that might be a little beyond me...

A little piece of bad news. Even though DXDIAG and the card itself will report 4GB of RAM, with NVIDIA cards some of that can be shared RAM. Right click in the middle of your desktop and bring up the NVIDIA Control Panel. Under Help about my video card is two entries for RAM. One is Video RAM and the other is Dedicated Video Ram. The Dedicated Ram is the one that counts.
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

My first render with Iray. Still playing with surface settings and lights. Not bad for a first trial. Take 2 hours using just CPU. Time to upgrade my Radeon 5870, but there are no much upgrade options for a Mac Pro 3,1.

Charlie_Iray-02r01.png
    692 x 900 - 1M
    edited March 2015

MBusch said:
    My first render with Iray. Still playing with surface settings and lights. Not bad for a first trial. Take 2 hours using just CPU. Time to upgrade my Radeon 5870, but there are no much upgrade options for a Mac Pro 3,1.
    Oficially there are 2. There is a GTX 680 with 2GB and a K5000 with 4GB. (Note the K5000 for a Mac costs more than a good PC.)
    While I will not recommend using a non-certified mac card, there are plenty of Mac users that will. Do your homework on this and understand the positives and negatives.

Oh yeah, and for the same price as that K5000 card you can buy a brand new iMac with a GTX 780M with 4GB of Video Ram.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

A little piece of bad news. Even though DXDIAG and the card itself will report 4GB of RAM, with NVIDIA cards some of that can be shared RAM. Right click in the middle of your desktop and bring up the NVIDIA Control Panel. Under Help about my video card is two entries for RAM. One is Video RAM and the other is Dedicated Video Ram. The Dedicated Ram is the one that counts.

1 gb vram. Hahahaha oh man.

Yeah, well, I had been debating getting a new machine, but due to advice here and elsewhere, I think I can push that off with, say, GeForce 970 (which has 4 gb dedicated ram) and going from 8 to 16 GB of RAM.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

-nVidia GeForce Gt-545
    -12 gigs ram

and finally

Your card has 144 CUDA cores, that means Iray can use that to help speed rendering. I am certain beyond any doubt you will see a huge speed increase. As everyone is saying, this Iray advance is a game changer. Fun fun!

Yay! I got CUDAs! (can I say that in public?)

Thanks for looking it up!

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    Oficially there are 2. There is a GTX 680 with 2GB and a K5000 with 4GB. (Note the K5000 for a Mac costs more than a good PC.)
    While I will not recommend using a non-certified mac card, there are plenty of Mac users that will. Do your homework on this and understand the positives and negatives.

Oh, I made the homework. Now trying to figure out between 2 GTX 680 with 2GB, 1 GTX 680 with 4GB custom flashed, or 1 GTX 980 custom flashed. For Mac users looking for options, custom flashed Nvidia and Radeon cards can be found at Macvidcards.com.

Some questions about how to set up some specific surfaces:
    1) I am trying to get some translucency on hair, but can't understand how the translucency setting works.

2) How can I set a surface as mirror?

3) How to get a glossy lips? I tried put the Glossy Reflectivity way up to maximum but still don't get the effect.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited March 2015

Literally my first click of the render button in DS 4.8...not bad for a start! This is Sylfie for Aiko 3 with Wild Dreads Hair...thought I'd load something old in order to test something new. :) Sylfie is straight out-of-the-box (and keep in mind, this character doesn't even have DS mats). For the hair I loaded my own materials preset I'd made previously. Lighting is default Sun-Sky Only.

16 minutes using CPU.

Edited to add: just re-rendered with my CPU and GPU (NVidia GeForce GT 640) working together and saved almost a minute. The GPU refused to render it without CPU also selected.

iraytest1a.jpg
    1159 x 651 - 242K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited March 2015

Still trying to figure out how lights work, I guess I got the emissive shaders working now. Sort of a boring render but all I was doing was testing lighting. I like how it looks and this was actually quite a bit faster than my experiments last night. don't know what i was doing wrong then.

Office_At_Night.jpg
    1188 x 950 - 516K
    Post edited by grinch2901 on
    edited March 2015

All I can says is wow! Is this ever GPU intensive...lol

I render this using street of Asian 2 one A6 charter
    render size 1920 x1080
    UE2 with one advanced distant light
    I used the Iray water shader to replace the default water to see how that would come out.

It took 11 minutes to render. But my graphic cards gpu was like wide the heck open & my processor was still rendering at 100% as well.
    I run SLI 2 EVGA titans and they were maxed my cooling fans were set on auto and they went 100% ,
    then started using extra power from my UPS booster. ..lol

never had my computer ever been pushed so hard..lol poor thing.

Daz 4.8 might be great for single a graphic renders. but if i were to render animation using my GPU I would be very afraid it would kill my graphic cards, or shorten their life... And at $520 each i think I won't be going there pushing them this hard again..
    I took a screen shot my evga monitor when the render was about half way done.. wow wicked resources intensive you can see it was pushed to the limit.

EDIT OPPS I for got the screen shot

Capture.JPG
    1919 x 1199 - 336K
    test7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 268K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    MBusch said:

Oh, I made the homework. Now trying to figure out between 2 GTX 680 with 2GB, 1 GTX 680 with 4GB custom flashed, or 1 GTX 980 custom flashed. For Mac users looking for options, custom flashed Nvidia and Radeon cards can be found at Macvidcards.com.

Some questions about how to set up some specific surfaces:
    1) I am trying to get some translucency on hair, but can't understand how the translucency setting works.

2) How can I set a surface as mirror?

3) How to get a glossy lips? I tried put the Glossy Reflectivity way up to maximum but still don't get the effect.

Remember if it doesn't fit on the card, the card will not be used.

When talking about reflectivity, remember the surface has to have something to reflect (even if it is just a properly placed light. for lip gloss.) I will have to wait until Tomorrow to dig up some settings from my work computer. :)

edited December 1969

Ivy said:

render size 1920 x1080
    I used the Iray water shader to replace the default water to see how that would come out.

It took 11 minutes to render. But my graphic cards gpu was like wide the heck open & my processor was still rendering at 100% as well.
    I run SLI 2 EVGA titans and they were maxed my cooling fans were set on auto and they went 100% ,

Daz 4.8 might be great for single a graphic renders. but if i were to render animation using my GPU I would be very afraid it would kill my graphic cards, or shorten their life... And at $520 each i think I won't be going there pushing them this hard again..
    I took a screen shot my evga monitor when the render was about half way done.. wow wicked resources intensive you can see it was pushed to the limit.

Remember with Iray the UE2 and Advanced distant light don't do anything for you.

And Iray will test your hardware. Make sure your fans are clean, your case is blown out, and your Graphic cards have adequate space to cool. If you have a fan slot over your graphics cards, put a fan in it and have it blowing onto your graphics cards.

I have one tester that has decided they can save on heating using Iray next winter. :)

edited December 1969

Ivy said:

render size 1920 x1080

73 degrees? Good, your cooling is doing what it is supposed to be doing. If it stays above 90, it isn't, but 73 degrees should not shorten the life of your cards.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

Spit said:
    Spit said:

-nVidia GeForce Gt-545
    -12 gigs ram

and finally

Yay! I got CUDAs! (can I say that in public?)

Thanks for looking it up! you lucky ... :ohh: I got probably an eighth of a CUDA core :shut: , lol.
    Forget that, 512MB is no where near 4GB. Tho it was never needed for just the windows Desktop, so Watts was (And still is) the top priority for my GPU. No fans, lots of pipes, MSI 8600GT. Ah, yes it is PCI-E 16x, not AGP or 64bit/32bit PCI or 16bit/8bit ISA, lol.

So, I still have some digging to find optimum CPU only render settings for this, ?Iridium? as in "Iridium Factor"? The kind of personal reactor needed to feed that Watt-hog graphics card with plenty electricity to keep it rendering, lol. So what if it idles at more watts then the rest of the country consumes in a year, it dose renders in about a minute flat, lol.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:

Umm...then you are using that nice Ferrari engine to just drive to the grocery store, in the slow lane?

Those cards are MEANT to be run full throttle. The fans will eventually seize if they aren't opened up often... ;-P

Seriously, though, if the rest of your system's cooling is up to it, I wouldn't worry too much about going all out.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

And Iray will test your hardware. Make sure your fans are clean, your case is blown out, and your Graphic cards have adequate space to cool. If you have a fan slot over your graphics cards, put a fan in it and have it blowing onto your graphics cards.

I have one tester that has decided they can save on heating using Iray next winter. :)

I will second that, from experience from all the old Piii CPUs I've cooked with BOINC. If it was above zero-Fahrenheit outside, I had a window open with a fan in it, tho that was with 16 computers crunching 24/7.
This discussion has been closed.