Show Us Your Iray Renders

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

scatha said:
    scatha said:

It won't use AMD GPUs, but it will still render using the CPU - it will take longer, but you will get the same end result.

So effectively DAZ brings out an updated product that will only serve those using nividia and leave those with Radeon cards with longer rendering times.

When will the update arrive for Radeon graphics cards?

If NVIDIA adds the support in the Render engine you will get it.

You mean ATI, I assume, Spooky? I think you realise that your Radeon users aren't going to be happy?

Grey, nice, candy red stormtrooper. ;)
    Iray is an Nvidia product, DAZ 3D has only provided the user interface to Iray via DAZ Studio. If Nvidia adds OpenCL support, then Radeon cards would be supported.

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

No, he means Nvidia. Iray is made by Nvidia.

Oh great, so we're back to the dark ages until Nvidia decides to play nice... just lovely.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,818
    edited December 1969

Thanks Daz and Nvidia - this is a great achievement.

My first render in Iray of http://www.daz3d.com/car-mark
    Rendering Time: 42 minutes 25 seconds
    Checked in settings both CPU and GPU.
    CPU: i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz, 32 GB RAM
    GPU: GeForce GTX670 2GB VRAM

mark02pic01.jpg
    1290 x 860 - 172K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

I've got an ATI card but don't feel slighted or put out. I feel more miffed by the Reality for DS that I bought that was such a mess on release - I'm beginning to wonder if it was pushed out of the door before this was released.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

scatha said:
    Vaskania said:

Oh great, so we're back to the dark ages until Nvidia decides to play nice... just lovely.

I think a lot of people are looking at this the wrong way. It is really a win/win. DS still has the 3Delight render engine, which has been improved if I understand correctly. IN ADDITION, there is the option for Iray renders, which can take advantage of GPU rendering with an NVIDIA graphics card. But, even without GPU rendering, iray will work just fine from your cpu. Even on my anemic computer, I've already done some great unbiased renders, and the speed seems about the same as 3delight. No one is losing anything with this update, and most people are gaining a great deal.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

I've got an ATI card but don't feel slighted or put out. I feel more miffed by the Reality for DS that I bought that was such a mess on release - I'm beginning to wonder if it was pushed out of the door before this was released.
    Very few people knew this was coming. Reality's release timing was not based on knowledge of this.
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

I've been rendering a couple of new Karate girl movies the last month
    and this is 2 test shots from the same scene I have been working on in daz 4.7
    I used the firstbattalion 10 rooms & 3 halls model with the included lights with it in the first render which i did in daz 4.7

the second render is the same scene using the daz 4.8 with the firstbattalion light set removed and the Iray light presents as a test.
    I think it came out pretty good for not knowing what I was doing ..lol a little brighter than the original
    I do have to say though this would have been a little easier if i had some basic information on where everything was and how it works..lol so it was more a less a trial and error on this test render.

the top scene took 1 minute 48 seconds rendered in daz4..7
    the daz4.8 bottom render took 48 seconds rendered in daz 4.8 with iray light presets
    so far so good, :)

Best viewed full size 1920 x1080

test_two.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 190K
    test_one.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 157K
    edited December 1969

I know Wes, but if I had known this in advance I would have opted for a different graphics card in my completely new computer. I think that is what pisses me off the most, since I just got this Hexcore 3.5Ghz AMD with 16Gb of ram and a Radeon R9 graphics card.

edited December 1969

scatha said:

You mean ATI, I assume, Spooky? I think you realise that your Radeon users aren't going to be happy or feel slighted by being left out?

ATI, Raedon and AMD are all the same company. AMD bought them all out years ago.
  • KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Thanks Daz and Nvidia - this is a great achievement.

My first render in Iray of http://www.daz3d.com/car-mark
    Rendering Time: 42 minutes 25 seconds
    Checked in settings both CPU and GPU.
    CPU: i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz, 32 GB RAM
    GPU: GeForce GTX670 2GB VRAM

Very nice!!

Kat

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    I used the firstbattalion 10 rooms & 3 halls model with the included lights with it in the first render which i did in daz 4.7

the second render is the same scene using the daz 4.8 with the firstbattalion light set removed and the Iray light presents as a test.
    I think it came out pretty good for not knowing what I was doing ..lol a little brighter than the original
    I do have to say though this would have been a little easier if i had some basic information on where everything was and how it works..lol so it was more a less a trial and error on this test render.

the daz4.8 bottom render took 48 seconds rendered in daz 4.8 with iray light presets

Very nice! You did well. :)

If you want to try a new trick, you can turn down the Iray light illumination and try turning the surfaces of those ceiling lights into Emitters. :)

Select surface and hold CTRL and apply the Emitter shader (in your Iray content pack)

Then play with the Luminance value til you are happy.

That will give you a different lighting look to try. :)

Kat

edited March 2015

scatha said:

You mean ATI, I assume, Spooky? I think you realise that your Radeon users aren't going to be happy or feel slighted by being left out?

ATI, Raedon and AMD are all the same company. AMD bought them all out years ago.

I knew that much, Spooky. ;)

I just wish we would have had some heads up on this, since I just recently bought a new PC with a Radeon graphics card. I would have opted for a different graphics card had I (or we) known this in advance. Buying a new graphics card for a completely new unit is out of the question.

Post edited by scatha on
  • Dumor3DDumor3D Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

wwes said:
    scatha said:
    Vaskania said:

I think a lot of people are looking at this the wrong way. It is really a win/win. DS still has the 3Delight render engine, which has been improved if I understand correctly. IN ADDITION, there is the option for Iray renders, which can take advantage of GPU rendering with an NVIDIA graphics card. But, even without GPU rendering, iray will work just fine from your cpu. Even on my anemic computer, I've already done some great unbiased renders, and the speed seems about the same as 3delight. No one is losing anything with this update, and most people are gaining a great deal.

Yes! It is an added option for us. Nothing is taken away. It makes use of the CUDA cores in Nvidia cards. It is all about CUDA processing and that is proprietary to Nvidia. DAZ has provided us a fantastic avenue to take advantage of this leading graphics technology. So, yes, it is an ouch for those without Nvidia cards but this is common in computing. Think of Windows, Apple, Linux, Android or Chrome and on and on... you get to make choices and every one of those choices has some limiting factors. It's just computers.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Very few people knew this was coming. Reality's release timing was not based on knowledge of this.

OK I believe you :cheese:

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

scatha said:
    I know Wes, but if I had known this in advance I would have opted for a different graphics card in my completely new computer. I think that is what pisses me off the most, since I just got this Hexcore 3.5Ghz AMD with 16Gb of ram and a Radeon R9 graphics card.

On the other hand, you can't blame NVIDIA for developing a renderer based on the CUDA engine of their graphic cards. Nothing is stopping AMD to do the same with their cards.

I think (based on reviews and benchmarks) that Intel i7 + Nvidia 9xx is the best way to go if you build a new PC.

Peter.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

My first two horrible test renders, two Crashes. Don't know if that's my gtx 750 drivers or not.

Nice glass presets, could get something without much tweaking but crashed in the middle

I find the integration inside studio rather good

From a few pictures I found on the web iRay is very capable. Got to read some docs

iray_glass_test_01.JPG
    719 x 404 - 70K
    barefootdancer_iray01.JPG
    564 x 732 - 71K
    edited December 1969

scatha said:
    scatha said:

I knew that much, Spooky. ;)

I just wish we would have had some heads up on this, since I just recently bought a new PC with a Radeon graphics card. I would have opted for a different graphics card had I (or we) known this in advance. Buying a new graphics card for a completely new unit is out of the question.For the last several months, anytime someone posted a "what specs do I want for a new computer" thread, I have always stated get an NVIDIA card with at least 4GB of VRam.

Nothing more that could have been done.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

scatha said:

Ah, I see. So, just really bad timing, I can see how that would upset you.

edited March 2015

This is not common in computing, this is all about the almighty dollar and trying to corner a market.
    I worked in IT for well over 14 years and companies trying to eradicate their rivals is bad for business.

Wes, very bad timing indeed.

Spooky, I used to build these for a living. I'm not about to check every thread made by someone asking what good specs are, when I can build them blindfolded. (entire networks in fact)

Post edited by scatha on
    edited December 1969

My first two horrible test renders, two Crashes. Don't know if that's my gtx 750 drivers or not.

Nice glass presets, could get something without much tweaking but crashed in the middle

From a few pictures I found on the web iRay is very capable. Got to read some docs

There is an Iray bug that NVIDIA is working on. The Ivy is problematic. (Multiple intersecting planes with trans maps can cause problems.) Sorry about that.
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:

Very nice! You did well. :)

If you want to try a new trick, you can turn down the Iray light illumination and try turning the surfaces of those ceiling lights into Emitters. :)

Select surface and hold CTRL and apply the Emitter shader (in your Iray content pack)

Then play with the Luminance value til you are happy.

That will give you a different lighting look to try. :)

Kat

Thanks Kat. for this info :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

Thankfully, I'm poised to get a new machine in the next week or so, so I guess I'll make darn sure I get a NVIDIA card.

Which is annoying, because I'm just now finding out Dell has removed the cool online customization they had 5+ years ago. Anyone know how easy it is to change that kind of thing by calling them/dealing with sales?

(And before anyone suggests it, I am not going to build it myself. I have no experience, and I can't afford the time and money for failing or breaking things outright. I have a lot of friends who always so 'build it yourself! You save so much money!' and then I look at sites with motherboards and whatnot and I'm a cat looking at calculus going MEOW WUT)

Is Iray working well for older machines?
    My currect specs:
    Intel i7-2600, 3.4 GHz (8 CPUs), 8 GB RAM, Win 8.1 pro 64 bit
    GeForce GTX 555, 4 GB memory

I'm nervous about going to a cutting edge beta version that might be a little beyond me...

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

There is an Iray bug that NVIDIA is working on. The Ivy is problematic. (Multiple intersecting planes with trans maps can cause problems.) Sorry about that.

Thanks for the info. Don't be sorry if that is a Nvidia bug. It means that there is a chance that it will be corrected at least. And I'm more pleased than unhappy right now

edited December 1969

Thankfully, I'm poised to get a new machine in the next week or so, so I guess I'll make darn sure I get a NVIDIA card.

Which is annoying, because I'm just now finding out Dell has removed the cool online customization they had 5+ years ago. Anyone know how easy it is to change that kind of thing by calling them/dealing with sales?

(And before anyone suggests it, I am not going to build it myself. I have no experience, and I can't afford the time and money for failing or breaking things outright. I have a lot of friends who always so 'build it yourself! You save so much money!' and then I look at sites with motherboards and whatnot and I'm a cat looking at calculus going MEOW WUT)

My currect specs:

I'm nervous about going to a cutting edge beta version that might be a little beyond me...

Those specs should be fine, the only thing you may want to consider is adding ram. No need to buy a higher spec unit when the current suffices.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Lots of playing around and learning to do. Instead of trying to convert maps based on the spec/gloss model, I just exported some physically based ones, plugged them in and worked from that.

YannekIrayTest01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 163K
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

There is an Iray bug that NVIDIA is working on. The Ivy is problematic. (Multiple intersecting planes with trans maps can cause problems.Sorry about that.
    Oh!

That's my problem then. I submitted a bug report; I'd used the Scene Builder to build a trivial scene to test with (actually I had been testing UE2 vs. AoA Ambient just a day or so ago, so this was perfect timing!) and the scene I used (secret somethingorother) has ivy on the wall behind her!

I'll try a different scene, 'cause I was getting sad that it froze every time I tried to render, on both my Windows and Mac boxes with CPU-only rendering... Makes me feel better that it's a known bug, and one that I can work around.

Does this mean that some hairs will be...problematic also?

-- Morgan

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

My currect specs:

Your grapic card will have the greatest impact. If I look at the specs, a GTX555 has 288 CUDA cores and only 1Gb.
    Something like the newest GTX970 has 1664 CUDA cores and 4 Gb (while consuming slighly less power than your GTX555).
    The CUDA cores are directly linked to performance, the more cores, the faster your render.

Peter.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

My currect specs:

My computer makes your computer look state of the art. My Iray renders are slightly longer than they would have been in 3delight with UE2.

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969
    Legs_iray_IsabelleIraySkin_web.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 193K
    edited December 1969

street of asian rendered in 4.8 using the Iray using just my graphic card. not 3d light.
    I over clocked my nivida cards by 20% and added a light blue distant light to try to make it appear a early morning scene
    I got these weird mesh lines through out the render

over not bad it took 1 minute and 54 seconds to render totally off my GPU
    if i can get rend of the mesh lines this will be a heck of lot faster for animation
    best viewed full size 1920 by 1080

test_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 312K
This discussion has been closed.