Adding Dual Quaternion support to UnrealEngine4 (Images inside)

14567810»

Comments

• guestest3guestest3 Posts: 14

AlienRenders said:

As I've mentioned many times, the DQ stuff cannot be made into a plugin as it changes the main behaviour of the engine.

When i donwload the unreal engine source from your github it takes 3x more space than same version of the original Epic games store version and also the second problem is when i delete a project that is created from your -mod and i create a new one it still takes up space from my disc(around 1 gb), why does it happen. to download the -mod it took me 60-70 gb and to build the UE4 took me another 60 gb. 

I understand you cant make it as a plugin so, Is there a way to merge only the necessery dual quaternion scripts instead of downloading the entire source because it takes way more space than the original Unreal verion, if there is a way can you or anyone here explain what to add and delete? (im talking modifying/adding/deleting scripts from unreal engine 5-mod to unreal engine 5 original)

i tried to remove and add what github showed but it ended up with errors

• melisallelamelisallela Posts: 0

I would like to second the thoughts in the above post. I've succesfully gotten DQ skinning to work in multiple 4.xx versions of Unreal. However, the folder sizes balloon into these huge, bloated messes. 

Why? Why is this necessary? You said yourself that the base default version of Unreal even includes a bit of the things that used to be added by this hack. 

I really appreciate and respect all the people involved in modifying Unreal to work better with Daz characters. And I understand that with the big MetaHuman push from Epic they are vanishinly unlikely to officially make it a smooth process to bring in human characters from other software.

But for real, is there any way possible, any way at all, to just edit things under the hood of the usual Unreal install, and thus avoid these bloated doppleganger versions that take forever to download and compile? 

• yaruuvvayaruuvva Posts: 33

Hello AlienRenders,

If you export Genesis 3 Female as FBX and import it into UE5 (your DQS mod) this is how a character's head looks.

Stock UE5 does not have this problem.

head_mesh_problem.png
    1203 x 586 - 1M
  • wxy112300 said:

I converted a project from 4.26.2 to 4.26.0-mod, Daz Character looks fine, but my Metahuman Character looks very weird. Is there a way to compatible two characters?

• yaruuvva said:

Hello AlienRenders,

If you export Genesis 3 Female as FBX and import it into UE5 (your DQS mod) this is how a character's head looks.

Stock UE5 does not have this problem.

Try enabling unlimited bone influences

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 725

I'm looking at my UE5 folder and it's 260GB. That's insane. Looks like the branch I cut from had tons of plugins and that's the official 5.0 release. Not sure these are all necessary. There's 70GB in there after it's built. Intermediate folder is 80GB. I think it's building everything. I might take a look this weekend and see if I can update and cut down the build somewhat. I'll prioritize the update first. BTW, it's not my build. I just merged my code changes. The build should be identical to the stock UE5 build. Hopefully, it'll be cut down with the new update.

I do want to try to include on option to switch DQS on or off at some point. Just gotta find the time.

edited August 12

Oh, and I'm thinking of doing a pull request to the official UE5 branch to get at least the math DQ changes added. They're just math functions and don't need to be maintained. I just have to find how they run their unit tests if they have any.

Anyways, the goal of that is that right now changing the math code affects everything. But if it's already in the official build, it would only be one or 2 dll's and some shaders that change to get DQS to work. I could maybe create a patch install for official releases. So you'd install the official release, then the patch and you have DQS. Problem there is forcing the shaders to rebuild but I think I can fix that too.

Also, the more stuff is in the official build, the likelier it is that they would include full DQS eventually.

Once I get the option to turn on/off DQS and fix the morph issues with it, I think I'll try a pull request on the main ue5 branch. The worst that can happen is they say no. If they say yes, then we're all set.

Post edited by AlienRenders on
    edited August 12

I updated 5.0-mod. To build with your compiler start a x64 native tools command prompt for the VS version you want to use. If you get an error about unrealbuildtool.dll not being built, type this:

set Platform=

Then run GenerateProjectFiles.bat again.

And yes, there's nothing after the equal sign.

I haven't built this one yet. I may only have time this weekend.

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,327

AlienRenders said:

Oh, and I'm thinking of doing a pull request to the official UE5 branch to get at least the math DQ changes added. They're just math functions and don't need to be maintained. I just have to find how they run their unit tests if they have any.

Anyways, the goal of that is that right now changing the math code affects everything. But if it's already in the official build, it would only be one or 2 dll's and some shaders that change to get DQS to work. I could maybe create a patch install for official releases. So you'd install the official release, then the patch and you have DQS. Problem there is forcing the shaders to rebuild but I think I can fix that too.

Also, the more stuff is in the official build, the likelier it is that they would include full DQS eventually.

Once I get the option to turn on/off DQS and fix the morph issues with it, I think I'll try a pull request on the main ue5 branch. The worst that can happen is they say no. If they say yes, then we're all set.

that would be amazing, we really need this fix because currently is really hard to work with daz characters in unreal with dq and the new ml deform looks abit bonk currently to be a really viable way. 

• guestest3guestest3 Posts: 14

AlienRenders said:

I updated 5.0-mod. To build with your compiler start a x64 native tools command prompt for the VS version you want to use. If you get an error about unrealbuildtool.dll not being built, type this:

set Platform=

Then run GenerateProjectFiles.bat again.

And yes, there's nothing after the equal sign.

I haven't built this one yet. I may only have time this weekend.

i have visual studio 2019/2022 and it says i need to use visual studio 2015. still not working

edited September 18

UE5 doesn't build with 2015. So something is out of whack. Working on 5.1 right now.

edit: 5.1-mod should be ready.

I tried looking at disk usage and it's 25GB of source at the start. Then Setup downloads 20GB of dependencies but the UE5 folder grows to 100GB. Then the actual build grows to 205GB. I tried building an install, but it's taking forever as it has to build the developer editor and the game runtime, so it builds everything twice. If I have time later, I'll try building 5.1 without my changes and see what it does.

• AlienRenders said:

UE5 doesn't build with 2015. So something is out of whack. Working on 5.1 right now.

edit: 5.1-mod should be ready.

I tried looking at disk usage and it's 25GB of source at the start. Then Setup downloads 20GB of dependencies but the UE5 folder grows to 100GB. Then the actual build grows to 205GB. I tried building an install, but it's taking forever as it has to build the developer editor and the game runtime, so it builds everything twice. If I have time later, I'll try building 5.1 without my changes and see what it does.

Another question is when i delete a project in unreal engine build it wont delete the entire space is it a bug or how do i delete the entire project so i can have the same amount of GB as i had before creating it?