Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2022

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

thanks  @ed3d

keeping the theme rolling along.....

the Dilemma

modelled the urinal and used simple planes textured for the floor and walls and of course used Harpert smiley

Chuckle !!!

+1  cheeky

BTW - awesome urinals.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited May 2022

Bunyip - Glad to hear you are rendering away after your troubles.  Can't wait for updates on the editing.

Stezza and UB, thanks for the comments.

Here is another classic clown.  Unfortunately, does not really have an obvious regular prop like Groucho's cigar.  I think the hair turned out well.  I created two different hair groups on the same hair cap.  One is for the sides which are pulled up and back.  The other is for the top which is more puffed up and styled.

Vitameatagamin.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 89K
    zip
    zip
    Mae West ZIP.zip
    zip
    zip
    Lucille Ball ZIP.zip
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,798

Diomede - new arrivals look great !!!

UB - looking forward to what you come up with !!!

Doing the Harlekin Walk starring Aiko 3

Let me know if you can't see the video, newbie at work !!!

Animation is based on a bvh file, spent over 5 hours correcting glitches, just noticed I missed a few. Please excuse the sliding feet !

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/713118734

Bunyip02 said:

Animation is based on a bvh file, spent over 5 hours correcting glitches, just noticed I missed a few. Please excuse the sliding feet !

Awesome first effort!  OK, the movements were pretty primitive, but those will get better with practice (assuming that you want to continue down this path).  The textures and shadows were very nice.  Music seemed appropriate.  You even had some camera movement.  Bravo!

Interesting that you used Vimeo.  That is what I use also.

The video buffered several times durig the first viewing.  But no buffereing the second time.  Not sure what was going on there.

UnifiedBrain said:

Bunyip02 said:

Awesome first effort!  OK, the movements were pretty primitive, but those will get better with practice (assuming that you want to continue down this path).  The textures and shadows were very nice.  Music seemed appropriate.  You even had some camera movement.  Bravo!

Interesting that you used Vimeo.  That is what I use also.

The video buffered several times durig the first viewing.  But no buffereing the second time.  Not sure what was going on there.

Thanks !!!

The BVH file ended up creating 25.4 frames per second, which meant that for 1 minute and 15 seconds I was looking at editing in excess of 1800 frames !

Decided to just edit the most obvious which were feet disappearing into the floor, hands and arms that moved through the body, and feet and legs that moved through their opposite sides.

Missed a couple when I did the editing, but very happy with how this first animation turned out !!!

Glad the video was viewable !

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Bunyip02 said:

really nice work, terrific to see how your animation is turning out smiley

I had a play with puppeteer and also saving master poses to make a walk cycle but failed miserably heh

have you  thought about using morph targets instead of the bones  morphs move verticies in straight lines so you need a few morphs to describe an arc

here's one fromn 2009 done in anim8or which had lousy skeletons at the time - so i used to use morphs for everything

(415) USING MORPH TARGETS for Anim8or walkcycle - YouTube

Diomede said:

Bunyip - Glad to hear you are rendering away after your troubles.  Can't wait for update son the editing.

Here is another classic clown.  Unfortunately, does not really have an obvious regular prop like Groucho's cigar.  I think the hair turned out well.  I created two different hair groups on the same hair cap.  One is for the sides which are pulled up and back.  The other is for the top which is more puffed up and styled.

just amazing what you are tuning out for this one Ted - and Groucho takes the cake! maybe itime for a ted talk

Stezza said:

M4 clowning around....

Where's LoRenzo?

you've captured that pose perfectly Stezza -  there's a liitle bit of Fonzy in that - too cool for school

Stezza said:

thanks  @ed3d

keeping the theme rolling along.....

the Dilemma

modelled the urinal and used simple planes textured for the floor and walls and of course used Harpert smiley

wicked! and to include a duchamp ready made - who would have thought (question mark) :)

Diomede said:

Stezza, you are on a roll!  Awesome.

I am playing with a few more characters derived from my toon figures.  Here is a classic slapstick scene in which a guy carrying a long board or ladder or similar is distracted and hits someone in the head while turning to look.  Animating is going to be a chore but I am looking forward to the challenge.

so remiscent of The Plank - a classic move,one of my father's favourites

edited May 2022

Spent the day looking at free sculpting programmes, settled on Zbrush mini until I started to look for an import dialogue for obj's and discovered that it doesnt have one

I wanted to bring m4 head in and sculp it then export as an obj back to carrara  (Goz wouldn't work I think as Zbrush mini seems toonly import zpr files (question mark)

Meshbox was a little simple compared to z brush

Finally downloaded blender and di half a tut - so I sculpted m4's head to make hin even more beautiful then brought him back into carrara and applies my clown texture

Tried to use softbodt physics on the new head to melt it onto a real m4's head - and carrara crashed - too many poys I guess.

then i used vwd that which must not be named programe and melted the sculpted head on to m4 and end up with very anatomical visceral effect from the eyballs and inner mouth

this image has the sculpted head and the melted one 

edit - i've just ordered a 3d printer hence the sudden interest in sculpting for eg a chess set , it will also do carbon fibre impregnated nylon - so surfboard fins hopefully, but it's a slo boat from china...

Creality Ender-3 S1 Pro | Full Metal Direct Drive | CR Touch Auto Leveling (creality3dofficial.com)

Untitled-1.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 826K
    Post edited by Headwax on

Headwax said:

Bunyip02 said:

really nice work, terrific to see how your animation is turning out smiley

I had a play with puppeteer and also saving master poses to make a walk cycle but failed miserably heh

have you  thought about using morph targets instead of the bones  morphs move verticies in straight lines so you need a few morphs to describe an arc

here's one fromn 2009 done in anim8or which had lousy skeletons at the time - so i used to use morphs for everything

(415) USING MORPH TARGETS for Anim8or walkcycle - YouTube

Thanks !!!

Have been meaning to get into animation for a couple of years - get too easily distracted doing renders !!

Bones I have been using for animation, yet to consider using morph targets.

Nice work in the anim8or clip !!!

3D printer looks awesome !

Diomede said:

Bunyip - Glad to hear you are rendering away after your troubles.  Can't wait for update son the editing.

Lucille Ball ?

edited June 2022

Bunyip02 said:

Looks great.   Hooray for newbies, like you and me!  This is the old spirit of the challenges that I liked the best, stretching are skills and challenging us to get out of our comfort zone.  I hope Mike Moir and other animators stop in and see people experimenting. Would be great to get additional feedback and tips even from the people who don't enter.  I can't offer much constructive criticism other than to encouragement.

Link for professor splash - 

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  Some replies.

Bunyip - Yes! Lucille Ball. Thanks. I suspect it was just the heart background that gave it away, and some of us more sophisticated people remember the Vitameatavegamin sketch.  I am hoping that the red hair and adding some context in a render joke will help it be more clear.

Headwax - Yes, the plank sketch is a classic.  I chose it because it seems like it would be among the easiest to use with little sound.  I have been revisiting some background on visual comedy, so thanks for re-posting the link to Rowan Atkinson.  I have an 'epic' idea that combines elements of two vintage sketches from British music halls and American Vaudeville/Burlesque.  Intend to use a setup which is called a 'presentation sketch.'   I found these particular two in a book by Ralph Allen on vintage Burlesque sketch comedy.  I have another similar book by Jane Briggem.  One problem with adapting stage sketches is if they focus on word-play.  That is another reason to appreciate Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd.  And a more recent silent comedy genius that I often refer to, Jackie Chan.

Headwax - keep us updated on your 3D printer venture. Am confident will produce amazing stuff.  Blender has some sculpting tools.  Yes, I used the B word.

Diomede said:

This is the old spirit of the challenges that I liked the best, stretching are skills and challenging us to get out of our comfort zone. 

On a mico level, I do that in every Challenge.  But learning animation is on the macro level, because characters tend to move and clothing must conform.  Until now, I have successfully avoided thigs like transfer utilities and clothing converters, because I can make just about anything fit in the Carrara modeling room in a single frame render.  Now I find myself flailing away in DS, hoping to get something to work.

For example, I am currently trying to get a clothing item (OBJ) to fit V4.  I can get it to conform to G3 in DS, but where to go from there?

In short, to do what I want, I now apparently have to relearn DS.

I also have to learn how to conform clothing.

I also have to learn how to use the Carrara animation timeline.

I also have to learn basic animation skills (ironically, this may be the easiest part).

I also must brush up on video editing skills.

For sure, all of these things are valuable.  And if HW extends this Challenge for another month of two, I might get something done.  smiley

UnifiedBrain said:

Diomede said:

This is the old spirit of the challenges that I liked the best, stretching are skills and challenging us to get out of our comfort zone. 

On a mico level, I do that in every Challenge.  But learning animation is on the macro level, because characters tend to move and clothing must conform.  Until now, I have successfully avoided thigs like transfer utilities and clothing converters, because I can make just about anything fit in the Carrara modeling room in a single frame render.  Now I find myself flailing away in DS, hoping to get something to work.

For example, I am currently trying to get a clothing item (OBJ) to fit V4.  I can get it to conform to G3 in DS, but where to go from there?

In short, to do what I want, I now apparently have to relearn DS.

I also have to learn how to conform clothing.

I also have to learn how to use the Carrara animation timeline.

I also have to learn basic animation skills (ironically, this may be the easiest part).

I also must brush up on video editing skills.

For sure, all of these things are valuable.  And if HW extends this Challenge for another month of two, I might get something done.  smiley

Have to admit, I am counting on this challenge having a longer than typical period of time for works in progress. 

Other than encouragement, admit I can't be of much help for the animation timeline, basic animation, or video editing.  However, I might be able to help with the V4 issue.  Carrara 8.5 is fully compatible with the rigging setup of Victoria 4, Michael 4 and similar Poser figures prior to Poser 9.  Daz was making figures and content for Poser prior to the release of their genesis figures.  V4's native rigging is actual for Poser.  Do you have an old version of Poser(or even a new one)?  Not necessary, just curious.  Do you have the VWD draping plugin and Philemo's bridge?  Again, not necessary, just want to know the options.

Can you provide more specifics?  Did you model the OBJ?  Is it a clothing item made for a different figure?  Does it generally line up with V4, or is significant alteration required?  You have quite a few choices.  One option is to attach the obj directly within Carrara without ever going to Studio.  Probably not what you are going to want to do, but again depends on the specifics.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,914
    edited May 2022

I have both older versions and Poser 11 and can tell you, clothes rigged using the Fitting room in P11 do work on legacy DAZ figures in Carrara, in fact I have fitted Genesis+ clothes to them that way

it is only the base figures where the rigging is an issue using Poser weightmapping, the clothes work fine

I don't have P12 but it shouldn't matter, only the Python scripting changed not the rigging

so Poser is worth looking at, I mostly use it to do stuff for Carrara and D|S

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited May 2022

Had to rattle my memory a little because I don't use V4/M4 much anymore.  Here is a workflow to get a mesh from Carrara to Daz Studio and convert it into a conforming figure for the V4 generation, or any similarly rigged figure.  The key is to load a V4 (or whichevr figure) in Daz Studio and convert the rigging to weightmapping, and then convert to triax weights.  Once V4 is converted to triax weightmapping, the transfer utility in Studio can be used to transfer the rigging to your mesh.  

- to start - load your V4 figure in Carrara along with whichever mesh you want to use.  I modeled a quick shirt.  You could load anything you want and then use Carrara's vertex modeler to adjust to V4.

- export the mesh as an obj from Carrara using the Daz Studio Full Scene preset.

- start the free plugin known as Daz Studio. Load a V4.  Edit, Figure, Rigging, Convert to General Weight, Convert to Triax

- import the mesh obj.  use the preset labeled Carara.  It will match the export Daz Full Scene preset from the second step.

- the mesh should align as per your scene in Carrara

- select the mesh.  Use the transfer utility.  Edit, object, transfer utility.  V4 is the source object.  Your mesh is the target.  If desired, show option and choose if any useful.

- Result in Studio, mesh should be a figure and conform to poses of V4.

- Save your converted mesh.  I unconformed the mesh, deleted the V4, and then saved as a scene preset.  Not sure if that is best but it worked.

- Start a new Carrara scene.  Load V4.  Load your saved converted mesh figure.  Use Fit To to conform your new cloth item to V4.

** There is bound to be some rough fits with weightmapping etc, especially with  sucky mesh like my test mesh.  

aa03 updated mesh with shader domains.jpg
    2428 x 1341 - 300K
    aa04 export setting daz studio full scene.jpg
    2404 x 1252 - 306K
    aa05 import settings there is a carrara preset to match carrara exporting to daz full scene.jpg
    1756 x 1222 - 286K
    aa07 convert figure to weightmapping.jpg
    2341 x 1209 - 347K
    aa08 transfer utility v4 is source and shirt is target.jpg
    2359 x 1257 - 387K
    aa06 shirt loaded fitting v4 but i changed shaders so can see.jpg
    2080 x 1252 - 306K
    aa09 result shirt is now a conforming figure for v4.jpg
    1728 x 1234 - 240K
    aa10 saved as scene subset can now conform and pose shirt in carrara.jpg
    2074 x 1279 - 279K
    aa11 can pose v4 in Carrara and new shirt will follow.jpg
    1954 x 1339 - 284K

Thanks Bunyip02 for he well wishes the avi animation.

:)

As far as time to end of Challenge I am flexible. Would three more weeks be enough , let me know preffered timelines when you can.

thanks for that explication Diomede - very helpful !

ah for doing fast wips in animation just have one light and high ambient light and take shadows of hair etc

Diomede said:

Bunyip02 said:

Looks great.   Hooray for newbies, like you and me!  This is the old spirit of the challenges that I liked the best, stretching are skills and challenging us to get out of our comfort zone.  I hope Mike Moir and other animators stop in and see people experimenting. Would be great to get additional feedback and tips even from the people who don't enter.  I can't offer much constructive criticism other than to encouragement.

Thanks !!!

Yep this challenge pushed the newbie boundaries for animation, had been putting it off for a few years now !

Diomede said:

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  Some replies.

Bunyip - Yes! Lucille Ball. Thanks. I suspect it was just the heart background that gave it away, and some of us more sophisticated people remember the Vitameatavegamin sketch.  I am hoping that the red hair and adding some context in a render joke will help it be more clear.

Headwax - Yes, the plank sketch is a classic.  I chose it because it seems like it would be among the easiest to use with little sound.  I have been revisiting some background on visual comedy, so thanks for re-posting the link to Rowan Atkinson.  I have an 'epic' idea that combines elements of two vintage sketches from British music halls and American Vaudeville/Burlesque.  Intend to use a setup which is called a 'presentation sketch.'   I found these particular two in a book by Ralph Allen on vintage Burlesque sketch comedy.  I have another similar book by Jane Briggem.  One problem with adapting stage sketches is if they focus on word-play.  That is another reason to appreciate Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd.  And a more recent silent comedy genius that I often refer to, Jackie Chan.

Headwax - keep us updated on your 3D printer venture. Am confident will produce amazing stuff.  Blender has some sculpting tools.  Yes, I used the B word.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,914

I have used the DAZ weightmapping V4 method too, get a lot of heavy data files though you can delete those after saving as a Carrara file

but prefer the Poser route as I get a  reasonably light cr2 and geometries obj I can then use Morphing Clothes, Crossdresser and other addons with too

An older version of Poser that I had came with Wardrobe Wizard by PhilC (Phil Cooke, not Phil Wilkes).  That was pretty simple.  You just loaded your figure in Poser and used the plugin script menu to identify which meshes you wanted convered and which morphs included.  Unfortunately, I upgraded along the way and the new version no longer has the script.  Poser has a fitting room now which I presume does the same task, but I don't think I have opened Poser since 2019.  UB, if you have Poser, I suggest you follow up on Wendy's cr2 suggestion. Probably more efficient and more accurate. Prior discussion here.

Prior discussion here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/367101/what-happened-to-wardrobe-wizard-utility-within-poser

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede said:

Still funny after all these years.  Thanks for looking up the first half of the sketch.  laugh

Headwax said:

Thanks Bunyip02 for he well wishes the avi animation.

As far as time to end of Challenge I am flexible. Would three more weeks be enough , let me know preffered timelines when you can.

thanks for that explication Diomede - very helpful !

You are most welcome.  

There is an old saying which has pretty much ruled my life, 'work fills the time allotted.'  If you give us 3 weeks, I will use 3 weeks.  If you give us 1 week, I will use 1 week.  If you give us 5 weeks, I will use 5 weeks.  In this case, I am having fun in the WIP weeds, so more time is better.  But other artists have finished a full gallery of final images, so it probably isn't fair to keep them idle for an extended period.

The coordinator is the grand poobah, the big cheese, the top banana, the...

Diomede said:

Had to rattle my memory a little because I don't use V4/M4 much anymore.  Here is a workflow to get a mesh from Carrara to Daz Studio and convert it into a conforming figure for the V4 generation, or any similarly rigged figure.  The key is to load a V4 (or whichevr figure) in Daz Studio and convert the rigging to weightmapping, and then convert to triax weights.  Once V4 is converted to triax weightmapping, the transfer utility in Studio can be used to transfer the rigging to your mesh.  

- to start - load your V4 figure in Carrara along with whichever mesh you want to use.  I modeled a quick shirt.  You could load anything you want and then use Carrara's vertex modeler to adjust to V4.

- export the mesh as an obj from Carrara using the Daz Studio Full Scene preset.

- start the free plugin known as Daz Studio. Load a V4.  Edit, Figure, Rigging, Convert to General Weight, Convert to Triax

- import the mesh obj.  use the preset labeled Carara.  It will match the export Daz Full Scene preset from the second step.

- the mesh should align as per your scene in Carrara

- select the mesh.  Use the transfer utility.  Edit, object, transfer utility.  V4 is the source object.  Your mesh is the target.  If desired, show option and choose if any useful.

- Result in Studio, mesh should be a figure and conform to poses of V4.

- Save your converted mesh.  I unconformed the mesh, deleted the V4, and then saved as a scene preset.  Not sure if that is best but it worked.

- Start a new Carrara scene.  Load V4.  Load your saved converted mesh figure.  Use Fit To to conform your new cloth item to V4.

** There is bound to be some rough fits with weightmapping etc, especially with  sucky mesh like my test mesh.  

To be honest, I was just going to give up and compromise by using a product already designed for V4.  But since you went to so much trouble... :)

Between you and Chris Foxes comments, and Dart's old video, I was able to figure it out.  Many thanks!  Not sure how it will look animated - not that far yet - but the clothing definitely moves with V4.  The process was kind of amazing, and kind of a PITA.  But for sure a strange new world for me.

No, I don't have either Poser or VWD, unfortunately.

Even though there are several options for saving the finished product in DS, I used Scene Subset as you suggested, and it worked fine.

Headwax said:

I have no idea.  But I already have the max number of entries.  If I add an animation, I will have to bump one.  So it really doesn't matter if I enter ot not.  Whatever you decide, it is all good.

For some reason, everything was easy for me in this Challenge.  You know, the art just sometimes flows.  So I figured that with such momentum, that I might as well tackle animation.

Screech!!! (that was the flow coming to a halt)

smiley